love and hate

Another view is that cold is the lack of heat so that there is really only 'one' condition and that is quantity of heat (low quantity being termed cold). Similarly, can we say that there is only one condition 'love' yet when love is lacking we call it hate? Or is hate/evil an active force of its own?

Perhaps related to one's view of the enemy.

peace,
lunamoth

lunamoth said:
Another view is that cold is the lack of heat so that there is really only 'one' condition and that is quantity of heat (low quantity being termed cold). Similarly, can we say that there is only one condition 'love' yet when love is lacking we call it hate? Or is hate/evil an active force of its own?

peace,
lunamoth
I might be mistaken, but I think that hate originates in the reptilian part of the brain, whereas love originates in the mammilian part of the brain, which would suggest different conditions. I might be mistaken, however.

seattlegal said:
I might be mistaken, but I think that hate originates in the reptilian part of the brain, whereas love originates in the mammilian part of the brain, which would suggest different conditions. I might be mistaken, however.

You could very well be corrrect, seattlegal. I was just putting that idea out to see what others thought as it is a view I think about but do not necessarly hold firmly. I go back and forth over whether hate/evil has a power of its own. Perhaps it is a kind of passive power, like a wall, which can be destroyed by the wrecking ball of love. :)

peace,
lunamoth

I said:
Rationally, that may seem so - but being able to sustain such a mood of peace and love doesn't mean to say that such a state is meaningless - I assure you, it has its own meaning. In fact, hate itself become meaningless.

I shouldn't have used the word meaningless......It will never become meaningless...but will it be unappreciated?

lunamoth said:

peace,
lunamoth

Hate is the absense of love...hmmm yes, that could very well explain the type of love Thomas pointed out (agape or decisional love). Hence in a way, indifference could be tied directly to this as well.

I heard someone once say to another "Love me or hate me, but I will not be ignored."

interesting

v/r

Q

lunamoth said:
You could very well be corrrect, seattlegal. I was just putting that idea out to see what others thought as it is a view I think about but do not necessarly hold firmly. I go back and forth over whether hate/evil has a power of its own. Perhaps it is a kind of passive power, like a wall, which can be destroyed by the wrecking ball of love. :)

peace,
lunamoth

Now I remember where the hot and cold came from, or more aptly, why. When we love or hate, we are actively engaged in thinking about the value of another. When we are indifferent, there is no value placed on another. God therefor in His promise to keep us with free will, can not change our decisions, but there is nothing said about Him not changing our hearts, prior to our decision making, or even after. Perhaps Love and Hate are simply variations on a theme, and indifference is the true opposite, and something God can not work with...

v/r

Q

lunamoth said:

peace,
lunamoth
The other possibility might be that there is a "switch" {one candidate might be the amygdala} we have that will either trigger the reptilian brain, or the mammilian brain, in response to any given situation. {Common cause, different reactions} It would then be up to us to decide and to train ourselves in the correct manner in which to react.

Kindest Regards, all!

Interesting topic!

Two cents: I think it is fear that originates in the reptilian brain, if I am not mistaken. Where's my psych 101 text when I need it?

Also, from looking into advertising psychology and the work of John B. Watson in the early 1900's, human infants exhibit three distinct traits: love, fear and rage. Those are the three atributes we continue to build on as adults. In other words, speaking from the point of an advertiser, "you cannot make a new desire in a person - you must build on their already existing wants and desires (using love, fear and rage!)." -paraphrase of one of Watson's peers whose name escapes me at this moment.

How this plays into love and hate in the framework of religion is anybody's guess, but so far I would be inclined to agree that love and hate are two sides of the same coin, and add that rage and fear should also be accounted for, separately.

ZachB said:
just how you can never really understand and appreciate happiness unless you have experienced sadness....?

Well, that's a very good question. There is something called Godly sorrow, It occurs when one sins or has done something wrong. Godly sorrow is from God, and when someone experiences Godly sorrow as the result he experiences great joy

Psalms 126:5-6 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.

This is a beautiful verse, which says when we mourn we sow tears and reap in joy. Try to ponder this. Also ask yourself this, did God experience sorrow or sadness like when Jesus wept for jeruslem because he loved the people in jeruslem? Or do you think the Father wept when He saw his own son dying on the cross because He had loved Him?

For me hate is a form of pain. Physical pain touching a hot stove exists to tell us something is wrong, and we need to take corrective action. IMHO, hate is very similar to this. Hate is not acting as a contrast to encourage appreciation for painlessness, but as a sign that emotional/spiritual damage is taking place.

ZachB said:
if you truly love your neighbor as yourself and replace all hate with love......will the abscence of hate make love meaningless........just how you can never really understand and appreciate happiness unless you have experienced sadness....?

"Without evil there can be no good." I've heard that before, and I know what you're saying, and it's true in relative terms, but not absolute terms.

In absolute terms, without hate there can only be love (as the Bible says the Earth will be like after the End Times), but we will not be able to preceve the existance of love without hate. Love will still exist, but we will not precieve anything else (hate), so simply to live will be to live with love.

Pico said:
"Without evil there can be no good." I've heard that before, and I know what you're saying, and it's true in relative terms, but not absolute terms.

In absolute terms, without hate there can only be love (as the Bible says the Earth will be like after the End Times), but we will not be able to preceve the existance of love without hate. Love will still exist, but we will not precieve anything else (hate), so simply to live will be to live with love.

In absolute terms, hate IS the absense of love. It is here, now. (Who pointed that out?) :confused:

Love is not an emotion, it is a decision. Indifference is a decision. The emotional feelings are fleeting and irrelevent.

I would like to point out something. If we didn't care about each other, we wouldn't get emotional about each other's points of view. I want you to see it my way, and you want me to see it your way...and it matters that we acknowledge each other's perpective. Why? ;)

Why indeed?

Q

Quahom1 said:
I would like to point out something. If we didn't care about each other, we wouldn't get emotional about each other's points of view. I want you to see it my way, and you want me to see it your way...and it matters that we acknowledge each other's perpective. Why? ;)

Why indeed?

Q
To validate one another's perspective. We need that, sometimes, to feel connected.
Sorry if that may be a tiny off-topic.

Back