Reaction score
BAHA'I
"Blessed is he who preferreth his brother before himself."
Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'lla 71

BUDDHISM
"Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful."
Udana-Varga, 5:18

CHRISTIANITY
" All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." Matthew 7:12

CONFUCIANISM
"Do not unto others what you would not have them do unto you."
Analects 15:23

HINDUISM
" This is the sum of duty; do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you." Mahabharata 5:1517

ISLAM
" No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself." Hadith

JAINISM
" In happiness and suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own self." Lord Mahavir 24th Tirthankara

JUDAISM
" What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow man. That is the law, all the rest is commentary." Talmud, Shabbat 3la

NATIVE AMERICAN
" Respect for all life is the foundation." The Great Law of Peace

SHINTO: "The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your own form."

SIKHISM
" Don't create enmity with anyone as God is within everyone."
Guru Arjan Devji 259 Guru Granth Sahib

TAOISM: "Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbor's loss as your own loss." T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien

THE WICKEN REDE:
"If no harm is done, do as you will."

ZOROASTRIANISM
" That nature only is good when it shall not do unto another whatever is not good for it's own self." Dadistan-i-Dinik,945

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If we could really grasp the concept of this "Golden Rule", perhaps we wouldn't have needed so many messengers. But alas, we are a stubborn breed.

I believe that this one rule, if followed by everyone, would bring peace on earth instantly. It's so simple really. So why then is it so difficult?

If we could really grasp the concept of this "Golden Rule", perhaps we wouldn't have needed so many messengers. But alas, we are a stubborn breed.

I believe that this one rule, if followed by everyone, would bring peace on earth instantly. It's so simple really. So why then is it so difficult?
Hi Amy. Thank you so much for that as it really opened my eyes "Wide"!!!

I printed it out and will frame it. Every religious congregation in the World should have this posted. ;)
Peace and Love in Him.
Steve

you are most welcome dear friend. :)

I agree, it should be posted everywhere, it's an awesome reminder. ;)

Namaste Wil, :)

just for the record, i do not deserve credit, as these belong to all of us, the credit is due to God alone. ;)

Love your blog btw :)

Have a wonderful day!

If only eh!

I hate to say this but I have met people who like hurting others and like being hurt, not necessarily in a sadistic manner yet I imagine that some don’t mind even this! ‘Do unto others’ works well with people like us and probably the vast majority of people, there are always exception to any given rule – shame really but this is the way of things.

Of course we could simply say ‘be nice to each other’ and if everyone agreed then the world would be a better place – perhaps it would loose much of its meaning and purpose though! I find there are usually good reasons why things are the way they are. But don’t worry - life on earth is just school for the soul – it will all be better after graduation! :)

_Z_ said:
But don’t worry - life on earth is just school for the soul – it will all be better after graduation! :)

I couldn't agree more! :D

Yeah that’s the beauty of the spirit – it’s not physical! If someone wishes to harm you in Elysium or heaven, they just look rather silly. :D

Come to think of it – they do on earth too! :p :p

Of course we could simply say ‘be nice to each other’ and if everyone agreed then the world would be a better place – perhaps it would loose much of its meaning and purpose though! I find there are usually good reasons why things are the way they are. But don’t worry - life on earth is just school for the soul – it will all be better after graduation! :)
When reading the Scriptures, God often mentions adversaries being raised up to try and test His people. [1 king 14:11 example].

What is that adage bodybuilders use: "no pain no gain". Others may try and test our love and compassion and if we are steadfast in it, that is sometimes enough to turn the other person around.
Steve
1 Peter 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange at the fiery suffering among you that is coming to try you, as if a strange thing were happening to you,
[size=+2] [/size]

Others may try and test our love and compassion and if we are steadfast in it, that is sometimes enough to turn the other person around.

Absolutely! I try to show them the error of their ways in a language they understand – even if this sometimes means being hypocritical. I often find myself ‘placed’ in positions of such question – ‘tis a lesson for both us and them I feel! ;)

InChristAlways said:
When reading the Scriptures, God often mentions adversaries being raised up to try and test His people. [1 king 14:11 example].

What is that adage bodybuilders use: "no pain no gain". Others may try and test our love and compassion and if we are steadfast in it, that is sometimes enough to turn the other person around.
Steve
Yes could be true....but these golden rule adages are about us, not them. About me, not you. It is my charge to be the best I can be, and to treat others with respect. Those that challenge me, it is again my charge to seek the lesson, the truth, in why they are in my life. (and yes to not be judgemental as well, as it might be spirit that sent them to 'test' me)

And then there is that dratted mirror concept in this as well, that those who push our buttons are here to show us our buttons. And those traits that we dislike in others are traits we are suppressing and dislike in ourselves...but that is always a tough one to swallow. I don't like the mirror especially when it is in front of me, and I can understand the truth of the reflection.
I hate to say this but I have met people who like hurting others and like being hurt, not necessarily in a sadistic manner yet I imagine that some don’t mind even this! ‘Do unto others’ works well with people like us and probably the vast majority of people, there are always exception to any given rule – shame really but this is the way of things.
I mentioned in another thread the potential of the concept of 'Do unto others as they would have done onto them' so as not to be presumptious that our likes and dislikes are the same..

Some more:
African Indigenous
  • Ubuntu
    "Your pain is my pain, My wealth is your wealth, Your salvation is my salvation. - It is through others that one attains selfhood."
  • Yoruba
    "One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."

seattlegal said:
Some more:
African Indigenous
  • Ubuntu
    "Your pain is my pain, My wealth is your wealth, Your salvation is my salvation. - It is through others that one attains selfhood."
  • Yoruba
    "One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."

Thank you! :D

9Harmony, thank you for this! It's wonderful to see all these quotes together like this, emphasizing that we really are all travelling the same path. And seattlegal, those African indigenous qhotes are beautiful!

May I humbly suggest that for Wicca, rather than the Rede, the Threefold Law may perhaps be more in keeping with the rest of the quotes: That which you send out will be returned to you threefold.

Scarlet Pimpernel said:
9Harmony, thank you for this! It's wonderful to see all these quotes together like this, emphasizing that we really are all travelling the same path. And seattlegal, those African indigenous qhotes are beautiful!

May I humbly suggest that for Wicca, rather than the Rede, the Threefold Law may perhaps be more in keeping with the rest of the quotes: That which you send out will be returned to you threefold.

Thank you Scarlet, :)

yes, i think that fits much better. :)

btw: I apologize, i know i misspelled Wiccan in my first post, but when it actually dawned on me, my ability to edit was gone. :(

Wow, awww, weren't they all lovely "Golden rules"? Yeah, they sure were... It's really nice to see that all these religions take heed to their "Golden rules..."

*ponders what majority... or ALL wars are about, and who are involved...*

Oh wait.... it's "all of the above" ... Silly me :D

This is a great thread! :D
Some more:
Ancient Egyptian:
"Do for one who may do for you, that you may cause him thus to do."
--The Tale of the Eloquent Peasant, 109 - 110 Translated by R.B. Parkinson.​
Shawnee:
"Do not kill or injure your neighbor, for it is not him that you injure, you injure yourself. But do good to him, therefore add to his days of happiness as you add to your own. Do not wrong or hate your neighbor, for it is not him that you wrong, you wrong yourself. But love him, for Moneto loves him also as he loves you."​
Pacific Northwest Native:
Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect.

Chief Seattle, 1854​
This one is long, but beautiful:
Lakota Instructions for Living
Friend do it this way - that is,
whatever you do in life,
do the very best you can
with both your heart and mind.

And if you do it that way,
the Power Of The Universe
will come to your assistance,
if your heart and mind are in Unity.

When one sits in the Hoop Of The People,
one must be responsible because
All of Creation is related.
And the hurt of one is the hurt of all.
And the honor of one is the honor of all.
And whatever we do effects everything in the universe.

If you do it that way - that is,
if you truly join your heart and mind
as One - whatever you ask for,
that's the Way It's Going To Be.

passed down from White Buffalo Calf Woman​

Seattlegal,

Those are wonderful!

Thanks so much for adding them :)

Back