Applied Anthropology

I'm not sure why it seems lately the good finds in anthropology don't get released until around the holiday season, but the most recent news I have heard comes from National Geographic, Nov. edition. A "child" Australopithecus afarensis has been announced. The skeleton is more complete, and 100 thousand years older, than "Lucy," the type for the species. Considering how much of the skeleton has been found (quite a bit, far more than Lucy, but not complete), I find it intriguing but still speculative the claim that "from the waist down" this Australopith was almost identical to modern humans. Especially considering the middle section of the skeleton is noticably missing. There are pronounced clues that do distinguish from other orders of primates, such as the toes and fingers. Not quite as exciting as the Indonesian Hobbit, in my opinion, but it does add further fuel to the fire that places the earliest homonin species *at least* 3.3 mya.

A couple of intriguing papers to add to this collection:

ISLAND SYSTEMS
The analysis of Near Time or Late Quaternary Extinctions (LQE; the terms may be used interchangeably) has become a significant field in recent anthropology. Little widespread consensus has been reached (see for instance MacPhee 1999, Martin and Klein 1984), but one fact that is generally agreed upon is that extinction patterns tend to follow the spread of human populations (Martin and Steadman 1999, but see Anderson 2002). Specifically for present purposes, islands more than 62 miles (100 km) from the mainland tend not to show significant extinctions before 18,000 BC and islands in general tend to lag significantly behind continental extinctions in the same region. If we assume that LQE is primarily an anthropogenic phenomenon (as indeed Martin and Steadman conclude) then this pattern becomes easily explainable as a factor of the ocean as an obstacle to human expansion. Thus in the first case islands present a good model for faunal extinctions because they tend to be inhabited only late in the archaeological record (allowing easier tracking of human environmental impact) and only by relatively technologically advanced peoples.
Another convenience of island study is isolation. By nature island ecosystems are isolated, and as Kirch (1997) has noted isolation can be a more significant factor in environmental damage than population size. Even among islands, those that are more isolated tend to be more susceptible to damage than those that are smaller but more easily accessible to replacement species. Isolation functions to demonstrate the dramatic nature of some extinctions; for instance in Polynesia as much as 2/3 of all bird species were lost (Steadman 1995). Given the relative infrequency of species arrival in isolated island systems, it also tends to ensure that the damaged environment has great difficulty repairing itself, highlighting the extent of the damage.
Island systems also tend to be restricted in species diversity based on the difficulty of access (Paulay 1994). Mammals that manage to reach island systems tend to be smaller than their continental relatives, and in extremely isolated islands like those of the Polynesian triangle (defined with end points at New Zealand, Hawai’i, and Easter Island [Bellwood 1978, Kirch 2000]) the entirety of the mammalian population consists of bats. The lack of “keystone” species (that is, those that hold essential niches in the ecological structure of the given ecosystem) such as grazing mammals necessitates the radiation of unusual or even bizarre species forms to fill the gap. Some of the most striking examples of this phenomenon (for instance the relatively famous moas) will be presented in the discussion of New Zealand. Perhaps the most important aspect of this species barrier, particularly on oceanic islands (i.e. those never connected to continents), is the lack of natural predators. As Paulay (ibid.) details, island species tend to be poorly suited to withstand the arrival of new predators. Islands tend to host “relic taxa” which have long since gone extinct on continents. Island ecosystems also promote the secondary development of helplessness on the part of newly arriving species that no longer need to divert bodily resources to escape or defense.
All the reasons listed above apply with even more force to the Polynesian triangle. Polynesia was settled extremely late according to the archaeological record, beginning around 1500 BC (Bellwood 1978, 1997, Kirch 2000) by a population of advanced horticulturalists. The entirety of Polynesia is highly isolated and thus the arrival of human populations severely damaged native ecosystems on every single island. This damage has yet to be repaired (Steadman 1989, 1995, 1997). Perhaps most importantly to the sudden and severe nature of Polynesian extinctions native species on Polynesian islands was the fabled tameness of native birds. It was said that if a man were to walk up to a bird and push it over the bird wouldn’t even react until it fell to the ground.
In sum, the Polynesian islands present a unique situation, a kind of “natural laboratory” in which a large scale and widespread multispecies extinctions traceable to one culture and one short period of time can be easily observed from the archaeological record.

Settlement Patterns in South Pacific Island Communities

-----------

Since Thor Heyerdahl asserted that Polynesia was first colonized from the Americas (Heyerdahl 1950), geneticists have sought—but have not found—any evidence to support his theories. Here, Native American Y chromosomes are detected on the Polynesian island of Rapa. However, this, together with other odd features of the island’s Y-chromosomal gene pool, is best explained as the genetic impact of a 19th century Peruvian slave trade in Polynesia. These findings underscore the need to account for history before turning to prehistory and the value of archival research to understanding modern genetic diversity. Although the impact of the Atlantic slave trade on the distribution of modern genetic diversity has been well appreciated, this represents the first study investigating the impact of this underappreciated episode on genetic diversity in the Pacific.

Native American Y Chromosomes in Polynesia: The Genetic Impact of the Polynesian Slave Trade

Really interesting topic.

Maybe it's stating the obvious but is it not likely that Mr and Mrs caveman saw that some of the edible roots they ate, when broken to peices and reburied made several 'new' plants? That after eating a few plumbs at a nice veiwpoint they threw down the stones...lo and behold a few years later there was a couple of these plumb trees growing just where they'd thrown them!! Then they speared a pregnant reindeer and on cutting it open delivered a live foal. They reared it themselves and tamed it!! The rest is history.

Agriculture/husbandry was, I posit, a virtualy unstopable consequence of emergent intelligence. We see, we think, we do.

As for grain in particular intuitively I would suggest it was produced first as a fodder. It is after all a grass. It was then cut for winter storage to feed animals year round. During this cutting and storage many seeds fell off, were gathered and stored. Experiments were performed and the first breads and beers were made.

It is worth noting however that beer is and never has been something produced in the mesopotamian basin. Wine has always been the drink of choice across that entire region.

I remember reading something a few years ago, data from peat bog bores in Southern Ireland, (an area that just escaped glaciation during the last ice age), that suggested barley suddenly appeared on the pollen record some 8000years ago. Now question is was this a wild strain or are the origins of agriculture a lot older than current hypothisis and a lot more widely distributed???

Kindest Regards, Tao!

Some interesting thoughts you have added...

Well not sure you really mean that :p
I do think the emergence of agriculture to be overcomplicated by the scientific community tho.

Kindest Regards, Tao!
Well not sure you really mean that :p
I do think the emergence of agriculture to be overcomplicated by the scientific community tho.
Indeed. And I don't pretend I know all the answers. Your points are as seemingly valid as any others I have heard...which is my point in the short reply above, nobody alive now was around to witness what actually happened. So all we can do is throw out educated guesses and try to develop something that makes sense. But what science may eventually settle on in this subject as "fact" may be slightly, or even greatly, different than what really transpired. Trouble is, we have no earthly way of knowing. We read the fragments of chapters we can find, bemoan the loss of chapters we will never access, try to connect the dots in between and form a coherent picture.

Hmmm, come to think of it, is this not an example of a "scientific" mythos developing?

:p back at 'cha!

Hi Guys:

I've been thoroughly enjoying your discussion.

My readings have suggested to me that the emergence of agriculture took place over a period of about 2,000 years in several places around the globe all at once about 10,000-12,000 years ago. This happened in the Near East, Southeast Asia, Central and South America, and Africa most prominently.

Genetic backtracking creates a form of historical record in that speciation can be traced to its origins in various regions. For instance, the emergence of grains took place in the fertile crescent of the Near East 10,000-12,000 years ago when a wild form of wheat, emmer, was selectively bred and nurtured to be cultivated and harvested. The fig tree was the first cultivated tree crop in this area and rooted people to the vicinities of the trees. Combinations of innovations like this shifted groups of people in a gradual fashion from nomadic, animal tending lifestyles to one that was centered on permanent community life. As an interesting sidelight, all grain in this region was referred to generically as "corn", even though corn per se wasn't domesticated until millenia later in Mexico and Central America.

The cultivation of tuber crops in Africa, SE Asia, and S. America had the same effects sometime later in those regions. The pig and chickens were likely domesticated in SE Asia and helped to shift that region, along with tuber cultivation, from hunter-gatherer to agricultural pursuits. The same with sheep and goats in the Near East, and cattle in Africa. It has been recently determined that much of the Polynesian culture moved into the Pacific from Chinese, Vietnamese, and Tiwanese origins at about the same time that ancient Sumer and Egypt were prominent.

You're right that mythos is a fertile possibility in this area of study since, as near as may be determined, these eruptions of lifestyle changes connected to agriculture's advent appeared spontaneously and over an eyeblink of relative time in several places around the world during the period. Makes you wonder about trekkie stuff huh ?

flow....;)

Kindest Regards, flow!

Thanks for the input!

My readings have suggested to me that the emergence of agriculture took place over a period of about 2,000 years in several places around the globe all at once about 10,000-12,000 years ago. This happened in the Near East, Southeast Asia, Central and South America, and Africa most prominently.
Would you happen to have any links to point to? I'm not doubting, I'd love to see these things in a context.

Genetic backtracking creates a form of historical record in that speciation can be traced to its origins in various regions.
Only somewhat tongue in cheek, how does this apply to humans?

For instance, the emergence of grains took place in the fertile crescent of the Near East 10,000-12,000 years ago when a wild form of wheat, emmer, was selectively bred and nurtured to be cultivated and harvested. The fig tree was the first cultivated tree crop in this area and rooted people to the vicinities of the trees. Combinations of innovations like this shifted groups of people in a gradual fashion from nomadic, animal tending lifestyles to one that was centered on permanent community life. As an interesting sidelight, all grain in this region was referred to generically as "corn", even though corn per se wasn't domesticated until millenia later in Mexico and Central America.
I think I mentioned earlier about the artwork of wheat in Sumer and the red wheat kernals found in an Egyptian tomb. The term "corn" I think is an Anglicized word, generically meaning grain, at least in English speaking Europe. No doubt something to do with the little temper tantrum called the American Revolution, is why and how maize came to be referred to as corn in the States.

The cultivation of tuber crops in Africa, SE Asia, and S. America had the same effects sometime later in those regions. The pig and chickens were likely domesticated in SE Asia and helped to shift that region, along with tuber cultivation, from hunter-gatherer to agricultural pursuits. The same with sheep and goats in the Near East, and cattle in Africa.
Seems to me sweet potatoes (or is it yams, I frequently confuse the two) were initially cultivated in Central and South America. Not sure of the origins of White potatoes, but if the famous famine is any indication they were immensely valuable to Ireland in more recent times. I understand there are other root crops typically not used in the States (manioc?) that might have origins in Africa or Asia. I haven't really pursued the emergence of cattle and animal husbandry yet, my focus has been primarily on agriculture, but I am beginning to see certain possibilities.

It has been recently determined that much of the Polynesian culture moved into the Pacific from Chinese, Vietnamese, and Tiwanese origins at about the same time that ancient Sumer and Egypt were prominent.
Well, that's why I threw those last two links into the mix. I was actually searching for a Polynesian island fortress I recall reading about recently. Didn't find it, but I did find these two papers dealing with the origins of Polynesian culture. There is a genetic link, if I read the papers correctly (I only read the openings, pressed for time, posted so I could return and elicit comment) to Taiwanese, but not the others mentioned. So if you have any links it would be appreciated.

You're right that mythos is a fertile possibility in this area of study since, as near as may be determined, these eruptions of lifestyle changes connected to agriculture's advent appeared spontaneously and over an eyeblink of relative time in several places around the world during the period. Makes you wonder about trekkie stuff huh ?
Trekkie? Maybe. Leads me to think more like Von Daniken, or the X Files.

:D

Hi Juan...actually most of these ideas have come from the Science Times section of the tuesday NY Times over the years. I still find that to be a primal source for understandings of the "big picture" over time. If you pay a $50 fee per annum you can access their archives for free back to 1981 and have access to their editorial content online. Well worth the cost in my book. I would also suggest getting into some of the online scholarly journals, but then you usually come up with highly specific subject matter and it's difficult to paint the "big pictures".

As regards your question pertaining to the genetic tracing of speciation, there have been several excellent articles in the Times concerning the genetic studies that have led to the currently acccepted "out of Africa" presumption about the origins of modern human beings. The conclusions based upon genetic analyses are that the modern female version of our species preceeded the male of our species by several thousand years, and that the male/female community of modern humans emerged in the south east of Africa about 100,000 years ago. Estimates are that all modern humans evolved from an original population of about 5,000 individuals whose progeny eventually migrated throughout the world over the millenia.

As far as the corn thingey goes, I have read in various works regarding the ancient Middle East that "corn" was a general term to describe cultivated grain in ancient times. I've also run across graphic depictions of Jesus making his way through fields of corn. These depictions were/are of Templar origins and are connected with the Order of Sion. So we're both right on point here, but the generic use of the term goes back much farther to my recollection.

As far as the Polynesian fortress thingey goes try Googling Vanuatu and see what you come up with. There've been several articles online recently regarding the excavation of a royal cemetery there that's supposed to be the earliest yet found in the S. Pacific. They're finding headless skeletons with the skulls buried separately in jars.

Very ancient tribal burials in the Near East and Iran (8-10,000 yrs ago) are also largely "jar" burials with intact skeletons. It's interesting that some cultures take great pains to separate the head from the body in death and some do not, especially when it comes to the powerful.

flow....;)

Kindest Regards, flow!
As far as the Polynesian fortress thingey goes try Googling Vanuatu and see what you come up with.
I did, 5 or 6 sites ranging from Wiki to the US State Department and a series of travel sites, nothing even remotely suggestive of what I was looking for. Thanks just the same.

I'll have to get back on the rest, the wife is gonna kill me, said I'd be to bed an hour ago. :eek:

He calls it the Noah Hypothesis, as it suggests a single locality for an ancestor grape, much as the Eve Hypothesis claims that human ancestry can be genetically traced to a single African mother. In the Bible, Noah landed on the slopes of Mount Ararat (in what is now eastern Turkey) after the Flood. He is described as immediately planting grapevines and making wine.

Neolithic eastern and southeastern Turkey seems to have been fertile ground for the birth of agriculture. "Einkorn wheat appears to have been domesticated there, one of the so-called Neolithic founder plants—the original domesticated plants that led to people settling down and building towns," McGovern explained. "So all the pieces are there for early domestication of the grape."

So cool....!

Link to Dr. McGovern's site:

“The Origins and Ancient History of Wine”@ University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology

Thanks Tao Equus!

Kindest Regards, flow!
As regards your question pertaining to the genetic tracing of speciation, there have been several excellent articles in the Times concerning the genetic studies that have led to the currently acccepted "out of Africa" presumption about the origins of modern human beings. The conclusions based upon genetic analyses are that the modern female version of our species preceeded the male of our species by several thousand years, and that the male/female community of modern humans emerged in the south east of Africa about 100,000 years ago. Estimates are that all modern humans evolved from an original population of about 5,000 individuals whose progeny eventually migrated throughout the world over the millenia.
Boy would I love to see the source papers for that. Are you aware that Mitochondrial genetics are only half of the story? The Paternal line can be traced too...the primary reason so many researchers focus on Mito. stuff is because it is easier to extract and work with (reproduce samples). The Paternal stuff leads back to an Adam, I am not sure that Mitochondrial is the proper term. (If I am not mistaken, mitochondria are a small portion of a cell, apparently where the "female" genetics is most easily retrieved, I am not certain where the "male" genetics is most easily retrieved).

As far as the corn thingey goes, I have read in various works regarding the ancient Middle East that "corn" was a general term to describe cultivated grain in ancient times. I've also run across graphic depictions of Jesus making his way through fields of corn. These depictions were/are of Templar origins and are connected with the Order of Sion. So we're both right on point here, but the generic use of the term goes back much farther to my recollection.
Hadn't heard association with the Knights Templars in this context before...OK.

There've been several articles online recently regarding the excavation of a royal cemetery there that's supposed to be the earliest yet found in the S. Pacific. They're finding headless skeletons with the skulls buried separately in jars.

Very ancient tribal burials in the Near East and Iran (8-10,000 yrs ago) are also largely "jar" burials with intact skeletons. It's interesting that some cultures take great pains to separate the head from the body in death and some do not, especially when it comes to the powerful.
Hmmm, interesting, in light of the Egyptian process during mummification of extracting the various organs and placing them in separate "jars."

Kindest Regards, Q!

Yes, I do see a number of physiological inconsistencies regarding human development compared with, say, chimpanzees. While an interesting argument is laid out as to how "man" developed on the savannas of Africa in the book "the Naked Ape," one thing continues to puzzle me.

Why, if we are "carnivores," have our canine teeth grown smaller, while "herbivore" (or at best omnivore) chimpanzees have canine teeth that rival many dogs, and could rip us to shreds. I have long thought that a curious "evolutionary" development.

Some of the women I've dated have canines that could rip us to shreds :eek: :p

I don't know Juan. There are lots of questions without apparent answers.
In the mean time I have a steak mooing on my plate, so I'm gonna go and rip it to shreds...:D

v/r

Joshua

Kindest Regards, Q!
There are lots of questions without apparent answers.
How true! I still think it is...umm, difficult?...to understand that some one narrow strand of the ape family through some accident of environment stumbled through a door into consciousness and "enlightenment," and no other creatures in that same environment went through the same or similar transformation. I still find it bordering on incredible that humans have been seeking spiritual things for as long as we have been human, that there must be something "real" we cannot see but rather intuit. That something must exist, else why expend countless generations of energy looking to it?

Kindest Regards, Q!

How true! I still think it is...umm, difficult?...to understand that some one narrow strand of the ape family through some accident of environment stumbled through a door into consciousness and "enlightenment," and no other creatures in that same environment went through the same or similar transformation. I still find it bordering on incredible that humans have been seeking spiritual things for as long as we have been human, that there must be something "real" we cannot see but rather intuit. That something must exist, else why expend countless generations of energy looking to it?
I'll tell you something. I have degrees in physics, criminal psychology, sociology, criminal justice. I speak several languages fluently, I've been around this world four times over. I've been shot at, I've shot at, helped and have been helped, hurt and have been hurt...and what I learned through it all is this: There is no other animal on earth that thinks or acts the way we do. There is no other animal on earth who can make friends with every other animal on earth. There is no other animal on earth that can bring out the absolute rage of every other animal on earth.

Man, is one of a kind, but he didn't come about by natural selection...somebody had a hand in it...:eek:

v/r

Joshua

The Elohim said/wrote this (or something near to this) as recounted in early versions of the Hebrew texts.

Come, let us go down and create beings in our image and likeness.

flow....;)

The Elohim said/wrote this (or something near to this) as recounted in early versions of the Hebrew texts.

Come, let us go down and create beings in our image and likeness.

flow....;)
...then God spoke, and life began...

Back