Anyone else have a hard time losing pets?

InquisitiveInHalifax

Established Member
Reaction score
I always thought that I wouldn't be one of those crazy people that mourns pets like they were family members but one of my cats had a stroke and had to be put down this morning and I feel as though I've lost my right arm.

He was the most dependable creature in my life the last 5 years or so, he'd greet me at the door when I came home from work and join me in the bathroom while I brushed my teeth and got ready in the morning. He was a big cat (we think he was part Maine Coon) but he was a gentle giant, he'd never scratch or bite anyone. He was always up for a rub down and though he didn't meow quite right (he was kind of mute) he could purr really loud to let you know how much he enjoyed your company. No matter how upset I was I could count on him to make me feel less alone and bring a smile to my lips.

I just felt as though I needed to share that, thanks for listening

-R

So sad to hear of the loss of your companion, Inquisitive. :(

Losing pets is very hard. Our family also lost a beloved cat this week. Her name was Daisy and she was a sweet old thing. She was kind of shared by by sister and mother, and we all loved her.

I think that the love we have for our pets, and the affection and devotion they return to us, remains always in this life and the next.

peace,
lunamoth

InquisitiveInHalifax said:
I always thought that I wouldn't be one of those crazy people that mourns pets like they were family members but one of my cats had a stroke and had to be put down this morning and I feel as though I've lost my right arm.

He was the most dependable creature in my life the last 5 years or so, he'd greet me at the door when I came home from work and join me in the bathroom while I brushed my teeth and got ready in the morning. He was a big cat (we think he was part Maine Coon) but he was a gentle giant, he'd never scratch or bite anyone. He was always up for a rub down and though he didn't meow quite right (he was kind of mute) he could purr really loud to let you know how much he enjoyed your company. No matter how upset I was I could count on him to make me feel less alone and bring a smile to my lips.

I just felt as though I needed to share that, thanks for listening

-R

I got 10 ferrets, two cats, a dog and a horse. I had 14 ferrets, 4 cats, 2 dogs and a horse...and everytime I took a spade in hand to open the earth for their remains, it felt like I was ripping my own heart apart. (and I don't like animals...they are my wife's thing).

So, I understand.

v/r

Q

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you...

My pets are like my babies, and I'm really an animal-person... It is sometimes difficult for me to a human and outlive them all. I do believe our devotion for them, and their devotion for us is eternal... and in that I find peace when I lose one of my own.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine said:
I have lost many "managers" :)kitty:s), and it's always difficult for me.

Anyway, here's a link for a rather interesting site "dedicated" to non-human companions that have gone before us: http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

You know, until one loses a pet, one can never fully appreciate the "Rainbow bridge", and the reassurance and anticipation the concept brings.

Thanks Phyllis. I'm certain many will appreciate your link...(I did):eek:

v/r

Q

Kindest Regards, Inquisitive and Luna.

I am sorry to hear of the loss each of you has had. Our pets end up meaning much more to us than we tend to think at the time. I like the way Q put it for me, we are richer for the time we had together.

I can totally understand anyone who greives deeply on losing a pet. My own cats are getting older, and I don't see them very often as they live at my mum's house. My mum said she thinks one of them (who is my particular favourite) has arthritis, and I get very upset at the thought that they will leave us soon.

So my deepest sympathies to anyone who is mourning the loss of a beloved pet. They are truly our family.

I love the Rainbow Bridge story. A little bird died in my hand today. I found it out on the garden lawn and it was in obvious distress. I stroked it's little head and body and it slipped away. I'd never known this creature until then and I wept.

Back