What music are you listening to?

I've been taking a bit of a detour from my usual goth rock, grunge, and emo (more "classic emo" like American Football and Weezer than "scenemo" like Black Veil Brides and Hollywood Undead for me, although I do indulge in the latter on occasion) to look into a few more modern genres. I already know that I enjoy darkwave, dark DnB, and melancholic depressive black metal, but I figured I would try to look into music that isn't so sad to expand my horizons a bit.

I tried a bit of breakcore, which is still rather melancholic, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about the genre. Some of the music itself can be very complex, which I am a fan of, although the running anime themes sort of lose me a bit. Some of the titles and lyrics have triggered my PTSD as they seem to deal with a lot of traumatic themes, but none of them have sent me into a full-on flashback. It's a very interesting experience and is oddly therapeutic in a way, since it brings to the surface a lot of negative emotions I otherwise don't deal with and helps me process them in a safe environment.

It's definitely not helping in my search to find less depressing music, though. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because I obviously prefer more depressing music, but it's more of a sidetrack from my main quest.

I've also started listening to chillstep and chillwave, which are two distinct genres. The former is a subgenre of dubstep, which I know is often seen as more of a brief fad from 2012 but I listened to a lot of electronica as a kid and enjoyed dubstep before and after it was mainstream. The latter is a subgenre of synthwave, which is still quite "poggers" with the youth as far as I can tell. Many of the songs play well together across the genre lines, though, and I mix them in some of my playlists now.

I found some interesting "electric jungle" music from the 90's that I like, but, again, this is also sort of a sidetrack since I'm looking for more modern music. "Modern" meaning songs and albums released "within the era" so a special emphasis is placed on songs and albums released 2015 or later.

There's another artist that's making the rounds in modern music named Cosmo Sheldrake, which is his real given name and not a stage name, and he makes some interesting music. I have to be in the mood for most of it, though.

I could cheat and just listen to some of the new releases from The Cure or Bauhaus, but that's not really expanding my musical horizons. So far, chillstep and chillwave are as far as I have come. I will post updates as I discover particular songs that I enjoy that have been released post-2015.

Last edited:
I've been taking a bit of a detour from my usual goth rock, grunge, and emo (more "classic emo" like American Football and Weezer than "scenemo" like Black Veil Brides and Hollywood Undead for me, although I do indulge in the latter on occasion) to look into a few more modern genres. I already know that I enjoy darkwave, dark DnB, and melancholic depressive black metal, but I figured I would try to look into music that isn't so sad to expand my horizons a bit.

I tried a bit of breakcore, which is still rather melancholic, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about the genre. Some of the music itself can be very complex, which I am a fan of, although the running anime themes sort of lose me a bit. Some of the titles and lyrics have triggered my PTSD as they seem to deal with a lot of traumatic themes, but none of them have sent me into a full-on flashback. It's a very interesting experience and is oddly therapeutic in a way, since it brings to the surface a lot of negative emotions I otherwise don't deal with and helps me process them in a safe environment.

It's definitely not helping in my search to find less depressing music, though. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because I obviously prefer more depressing music, but it's more of a sidetrack from my main quest.

I've also started listening to chillstep and chillwave, which are two distinct genres. The former is a subgenre of dubstep, which I know is often seen as more of a brief fad from 2012 but I listened to a lot of electronica as a kid and enjoyed dubstep before and after it was mainstream. The latter is a subgenre of synthwave, which is still quite "poggers" with the youth as far as I can tell. Many of the songs play well together across the genre lines, though, and I mix them in some of my playlists now.

I found some interesting "electric jungle" music from the 90's that I like, but, again, this is also sort of a sidetrack since I'm looking for more modern music. "Modern" meaning songs and albums released "within the era" so a special emphasis is placed on songs and albums released 2015 or later.

There's another artist that's making the rounds in modern music named Cosmo Sheldrake, which is his real given name and not a stage name, and he makes some interesting music. I have to be in the mood for most of it, though.

I could cheat and just listen to some of the new releases from The Cure or Bauhaus, but that's not really expanding my musical horizons. So far, chillstep and chillwave are as far as I have come. I will post updates as I discover particular songs that I enjoy that have been released post-2015.
A question here, have you ever tried Linkin Park? I'm just curious...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Two newer songs that I've found in my hunt, both of them are soothing and slow:

"Space Song" by Beach House

"Sugar for the Pill" by Slowdive

For the first one, I found it through this video, which is an ambient edit of the song and it goes really well in a quiet place with head phones:

"Space Song" was released 2015, "Sugar for the Pill" was released 2017

Stick Figure, The Choice Is Yours (feat. Slightly Stoopid)

Thanks. See now, that wasn't so bad was it? Everyone gets an E for effort.

Back