Why?

Quahom1 said:
Can i ask (I'm asking anyway), why Christianity is so easy for others to talk about other faiths...as though Christians did not exist? Take it it the Judeasim board...

v/r

Q

Because Christianity is an amalgam of a number of different philosophical, spiritual, and metaphysical thought processes, not the least of which is Judaism. It's pretty hard to leave Judaism out of the discussion when Christianity has appropriated Jewish scripture, began as a Jewish sect, and is still steeped in Jewish traditions- very many of which it hardly seems to comprehend.

Now let me ask you a question: Why do you have such a control complex about this board? You don't seem to be able to seperate your role as moderator from your personal ideological ideosyncracies. With all due respect, why don't you just let the conversation flow ? We're all adults here.

Chris

China Cat Sunflower said:
Because Christianity is an amalgam of a number of different philosophical, spiritual, and metaphysical thought processes, not the least of which is Judaism. It's pretty hard to leave Judaism out of the discussion when Christianity has appropriated Jewish scripture, began as a Jewish sect, and is still steeped in Jewish traditions- very many of which it hardly seems to comprehend.

Now let me ask you a question: Why do you have such a control complex about this board? You don't seem to be able to seperate your role as moderator from your personal ideological ideosyncracies. With all due respect, why don't you just let the conversation flow ? We're all adults here.

Chris

Because China Cat, this is the Christian forum. And as such I have the responsibility to ensure that this forum stays true to form.

nothing personal.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Because China Cat, this is the Christian forum. And as such I have the responsibility to ensure that this forum stays true to form.

nothing personal.

v/r

Q

Nothing personal on my end either Q. Have a nice day.

Chris

Bandit said:
as i see it, WHY is blood necessary has still not been answered.
a God who requires innocent blood sacrifices. but God did require it because He gave Jesus a commandment to lay down his life for us. Jesus did not want to suffer this way because He asked God if it were possible to remove the cup. hmmm

there is definately something missing & another deep cavern going on here than what appears on the surface that is for sure.
people are determined to stick God in a bottle & cap it & it is not possible. He is always miles ahead of us.

i too am fed up with the traditions of men & institutions that hammer the earth & say we cannot explore the scriptures & the richness of His glory & deepen our understanding- for we have only begun to scratch the surface of His infinite wisdom.

yourself, path, cage & the others who are searching for something deeper... that would be fine, but i will not debate the scriptures concerning this from an absolute traditional dogmatic perspective.
hit me up this fall or winter & we can discuss it in depth then.

have a nice weekend:)

Well, that's nothing if not tantalizing Bandito! Whenever you're ready my friend.

And now...I've got beer to drink and golf to watch!

Chris

Kindest Regards, all!

A hearty welcome to CR for Cage! Thank you for the original question:
WHY is it nescessary; you know, a blood sacrifice for atonement? Why did Jesus have to pay the price? Why does God demand it?

Couldn't he have just forgiven us w/o sending his son to suffer, and die?
I find myself with questions concerning sacrifice as well, and have for some time now. I posed what I felt was a similar question on another thread available to all comers in the philosophy section, and didn't get any takers.

Others in this thread have already provided some excellent source material to cover, at least concerning the Bible (meaning Judaism). And I appreciate where some express concern, not harming animals or people unnecessarily.

Yet, I am torn. I am torn because we all kill. We all take life, in order to survive. What difference is there between sacrificing a bull on an alter, and butchering a bull for some hamburgers? To the bull, there is no difference, he is dead. This thought extends to all life, not just nephesh. Even vegetables are alive. Our food must have life in it, in order to give us life. It is the way it is. Life feeds life. Life requires life. Who am I to question why nature is the way it is? It just is...

Now, I find myself in general agreement with the sentiment that precedent is set, beginning with Adam and Eve, Abel, Noah, Abraham, Moses and Aaron, and the Temple proceedings. My understanding of the Temple proceedings is that blood was shed to *cover* sin, because sin never really does go away. We still carry the penalty of our sins even if we are forgiven. For example, an alcoholic may stop drinking, but the damage to his body is already done. One needn't look far to see how infidelity can destroy lives. The list can go on...

G-d allowed us a way out, so to speak, with sacrifice. For the Christian, Jesus served as the last, most perfect sacrifice. The Jews still look for the ashes of the red heiffer in order to reinstate the Temple sacrifice once the Temple is rebuilt at Jerusalem, or so I have heard.

Sacrifice is not limited to monotheism. Sacrifice was an integral part of religious worship around the world in ancient times. I cannot speak to the specific purpose sacrifice played in other religions, but there must be significance or it would not have been so. One need only look to a religious practice such as Santeria, or to a primitive tribal people who call themselves Christian in an isolated village in Turkey, to find that animal sacrifice (blood ritual) is still conducted even today. Many Pagan religions observe a form of sacrifice substituting "straw men." My point is, to castigate Christianity and / or Judaism for sacrifice while ignoring the significance to other cultures and religions is to hold a rather narrow focus.

I do not fully understand the significance of sacrifice. Yet I do understand it is an integral part of human history and ancestry. I suspect, but haven't been able to show, that there is a connection to the hunt. Sacrifice is necessary for life.

In the Judaic and Christian traditions, sacrifice has been "cleaned up" so to speak. But the reminder is there. I do not know the mind of G-d, I do not know why things are the way they are. But they are, and I can accept that.

As a Christian, I accept that Christ's sacrifice and shedding of blood was done to cover my sins, and allow me a way to enter the presence of G-d. I accept this on faith. It does not make logical sense when it is narrowly focused one specific example to the exclusion of all others. But then, since when was it required of G-d to be logical in our eyes? Who made who? I trust that it all makes sense on some level far beyond my reach, and I can sleep at night with that understanding.

I do question though, how one can question the sacrifice of one man, while eating an animal sacrificed on a corporate alter? Micky D's, anyone? :)

My two cents. Great question, by the way!

Last edited:
BlaznFattyz said:
You must have the death of Christ to pay the penalty for your sin (Romans 5:10). But you must also have the Blood of Christ to cleanse you from sin (I John 1:7). You must have your sins paid for by His death, and you must have your sins washed, cleansed by His Blood.

These are the words of god and there is no other way around it. you either believe and have faith in god and his words or you dont.

You ask me to follow blindly, and accept w/o even understanding 'why'. Why would you ask this of me? Is it not my 'duty' to search things out?

I have a problem accepting things just because I'm told, (Blood sacrifice included) I consider myself a seeker, and I will not blindly follow, and accept things just because I'm told to by others, or just because the bilble say so.

-- Revised Standard
Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out.

I'm just doing my part, which is most certainly 'expected' of every man.

Surely you understand,

~Cage~

Kindest Regards, Cage!

A nod to China Cat, thanks for the reminder!

I am not Blaznfatty, but I hope you will not mind if I put two (more) cents in.

Is it not my 'duty' to search things out?
Of course. I have long held the view that if G-d is real, then "He" can handle being questioned. Are we ready for the answers?

A lot depends on the sincerity of the questioner, and the motive behind the questioning. After all, some questions are asked with ready, and incorrect, answers designed to arrive at inaccurate conclusions. This happens in science quite often, would you not agree?

I have a problem accepting things just because I'm told, (Blood sacrifice included) I consider myself a seeker, and I will not blindly follow, and accept things just because I'm told to by others,
I too, have problems with authority. Why should I acquiesce to any religious leader, including the scientific ones, simply on their say alone? Ah, but this can easily go off tangent, and I have written pages here to this issue already. Please, do not "blindly follow." By all means, try the spirits. And as China Cat reminds us, "hold fast that which is good."

or just because the bilble say so.
Ah, what source material does one have then as a Christian or Jew? Shall I give greater credence to a book of philosophy written by a singular dead Greek? Shall I give greater credence to a book of science, that will be fundamentally changed a hundred years from now as humnaity discovers its errors in judgement (as reproduced, repeatedly by peers, in the laborotory)? Shall I give greater credence to the sacred writings of some other religion, whose goal in the end is not at all unlike my own? Shall I confuse and muddle all of these into some amalgam that is indecipherable, and completely misses the beauty contained within the inner teachings? Shall I throw the baby out with the bathwater?

There are great truths to be found all over the world. Each is a gem unto itself, in its proper context. But each of these gems is very fragile, and easily shattered. If you choose not to hold the gem of the Bible, that is your choice. But I assure, you do hold some gem, of one kind or another, even if you fancy it to be of your own making. We all hold such gems. Some call these gems "memes." Of course, these same that call these gems memes, don't notice how they too are affected by their own meme.

-- Revised Standard
Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out.

I'm just doing my part, which is most certainly 'expected' of every man.
Indeed! I encourage you to continue! Don't take any man, including this one, merely at their word. Size 'em up! Check 'em out! Prove 'em correct or not!

Surely you understand,
Indeed, I do. Good Luck on your journey, :)

Ah, what source material does one have then as a Christian or Jew? Shall I give greater credence to a book of philosophy written by a singular dead Greek? Shall I give greater credence to a book of science, that will be fundamentally changed a hundred years from now as humnaity discovers its errors in judgement (as reproduced, repeatedly by peers, in the laborotory)? Shall I give greater credence to the sacred writings of some other religion, whose goal in the end is not at all unlike my own? Shall I confuse and muddle all of these into some amalgam that is indecipherable, and completely misses the beauty contained within the inner teachings? Shall I throw the baby out with the bathwater?

There are great truths to be found all over the world. Each is a gem unto itself, in its proper context. But each of these gems is very fragile, and easily shattered. If you choose not to hold the gem of the Bible, that is your choice. But I assure, you do hold some gem, of one kind or another, even if you fancy it to be of your own making. We all hold such gems. Some call these gems "memes." Of course, these same that call these gems memes, don't notice how they too are affected by their own meme.
I think you're making a pretty profound point here 123. My own perspective is this: In order to appreciate the Bible and get to the unvarnished, primitive if you will, truths within it, I think we have to carefully consider what is written in it in the original context insofar as that's possible. That's a lot harder than it might sound because just figuring out what is historical versus metaphorical within the narratives is like opening a keg, not a can of worms. In addition to the spiritual and cultural contexts, we need to have a grasp of the political context that's playing out in the narratives.

For example, in order to appreciate how the Gospels build on each other and the message evolves from the Pauline material to Mark, then through to John we need to know what waqs going on in the world of the authors at the time. How the destruction of the temple in 70 CE and what the Roman empire was doing at the time inform the authors' view.

Similarly, in order to grasp what's being presented in the OT we have to figure out where mythology stops and historicity begins in order to understand the political context of why and how the mythological portion was constructed. What purposes is it meant to serve culturally, politically, sociologically?

The thing is, in order to create the illusion of being "self-born", both Judaism and Christianity, but particularly Christianity has engaged in an effort to destroy any material that would provide a basis for questioning the literality of its theology. One of the effects of this shred-job is that we don't have any reliable information on who the actual, historical Jesus might have been.

The other major challenge is to try to peel back the layers and try to get underneath the surface story to find the deeper truth. On the surface we may be reading a very nice story or parable, but underneath that are several layers of encoded meaning, a great part of which is nearly impossible to understand because we've lost the key to un-encrypt it. And then there's the problem of bogus information and all manner of psuedo-occult theories and "Bible codes" and foo-foo fluffy stuff that people have come up with to sell books.

For myself, I've come to the point where I have reluctantly admitted to myself that I really can't understand the full import of the OT material, and in particular the Torah portion because I'm not Jewish, and I'm unable to devote my life entirely to the study of the material. Now if, after twenty years of studying the Bible and other sacred texts, I find that I'm unable to fully, or even substantially comprehend the OT without almost completely relying on Jewish commentary from Rabbis who devoted their entire lives to it's study, then how willing do you think I'm going to be to take the word of some Christian dogmatist who has less of a grasp of the material than I have?

Chris

Kindest Regards, China Cat!

Thank you for your thoughtful response!
I think you're making a pretty profound point here 123. My own perspective is this: In order to appreciate the Bible and get to the unvarnished, primitive if you will, truths within it, I think we have to carefully consider what is written in it in the original context insofar as that's possible. That's a lot harder than it might sound because just figuring out what is historical versus metaphorical within the narratives is like opening a keg, not a can of worms. In addition to the spiritual and cultural contexts, we need to have a grasp of the political context that's playing out in the narratives.
I do agree with you to a great degree. However, there are also valuable lessons to be conveyed to those of a less scholarly aptitude. I believe this in essence to be true with all of the sacred writings of the great world faiths, but as I have not yet explored most of them this opinion is based on the successes the world faiths have achieved over time. Back to the Bible, I was taught it is written on three levels; the physical, mental and spiritual. For something like the account of the plagues of Egypt and the Exodus, there is the (arguably) historical / physical aspect, the mental aspect of trying to understand why G-d would do the things He did, and the spiritual aspect that conveys the importance of surrender to and obedience to G-d. This is an overly simple summary only to make a general point. These levels are readily available to a non-scholar who merely applies himself by faith to the teachings.

I do agree there are supplemental matters that are conveyed by taking into account the original languages, political and cultural contexts, etc. These supplemental matters help clarify matters of confused interpretation. Yet, at least as I see it, confused interpretation is on the part of humans, not G-d. One can as easily, and successfully, through diligent application over prolonged study and seeking a sincere connection to G-d, arrive at much the same answers. I have been witness to a number of people who have done this very thing. I am a bit more, ummm, hard headed. I need the supplemental "insurance" of language and context to reinforce my understanding.

Similarly, in order to grasp what's being presented in the OT we have to figure out where mythology stops and historicity begins in order to understand the political context of why and how the mythological portion was constructed. What purposes is it meant to serve culturally, politically, sociologically?
I suppose for an outsider looking in this is of greater import. For those to whom Judaism and Christianity are a way of life, delineating the mythology is of lesser import. The mythology serves a purpose, whether that be the binding of a culture, or the teaching of a truth, or some other that escapes my thinking just now.

The thing is, in order to create the illusion of being "self-born", both Judaism and Christianity, but particularly Christianity has engaged in an effort to destroy any material that would provide a basis for questioning the literality of its theology.
Ah, now we enter the realm of politics and power and institutional religion. Not altogether unrelated, but still of no real import to the truths contained. The function of Christianity is to form a frame of mind and reference in a more or less united peoples. A meme, if you prefer. That meme is powerful in its own right, and when functioning as I deem correctly, provides a means and manner for the person of the influence of that meme to relate in a positive manner to those around him / her, and to draw a closer connection to G-d. In their own ways the other major world religions perform a very similar function. And again in their own ways the other major world religions have been usurped by the political powers in the realms they exist in.

Yet, an individual can function very well without the political overtures, relying solely on the established meme. Governments, being the necessary evils that they are and subject to the requirements of governance, co-opt the memes in order to influence the more-or-less unity of those under the meme. But governments fundamentally cannot successfully change the meme, at least to my knowledge none have to this point. Gov makes allusion to a meme, but cannot supplant it.

One of the effects of this shred-job is that we don't have any reliable information on who the actual, historical Jesus might have been.
I am struggling to answer this. I thought of an example, but I question whether it will be of any real value. Consider, if Charles Manson had somehow been a "messiah," would not our government have gone to lengths to erase his memory? I see Jesus in a similar fashion. The Jews were out to get him. The Romans were out to get him. One could surmise some of his kin were out to get him. Even Qumran wasn't too keen on him. One could say he had a lot of friends, but he had far more enemies. Is it any wonder we have as much historically as we do relating to him?

The other major challenge is to try to peel back the layers and try to get underneath the surface story to find the deeper truth. On the surface we may be reading a very nice story or parable, but underneath that are several layers of encoded meaning, a great part of which is nearly impossible to understand because we've lost the key to un-encrypt it. And then there's the problem of bogus information and all manner of psuedo-occult theories and "Bible codes" and foo-foo fluffy stuff that people have come up with to sell books.
This brings up a good point. Without spiritual guidance, what we uncover when peeling back the layers can destroy the faith of the fragile. What we uncover can create more questions than answers. And there is always the possibility of our own incorrect interpretation, let alone incorrect interpretation by others.

For myself, I've come to the point where I have reluctantly admitted to myself that I really can't understand the full import of the OT material, and in particular the Torah portion because I'm not Jewish, and I'm unable to devote my life entirely to the study of the material. Now if, after twenty years of studying the Bible and other sacred texts, I find that I'm unable to fully, or even substantially comprehend the OT without almost completely relying on Jewish commentary from Rabbis who devoted their entire lives to it's study, then how willing do you think I'm going to be to take the word of some Christian dogmatist who has less of a grasp of the material than I have?
I appreciate your concern regarding taking the word of a dogmatist. I imagined this thread a veiled attempt to expose just such. There is no need, we both know they exist, here and in the "real" world. Yet, as I also mentioned, there is sufficient for those of less scholarly aptitude to take away great value from the teachings. How they apply those teachings is another matter.

Christianity, like Judaism, is a way of life. To gain the greatest value is to experience it on a daily basis. There are no holidays from being Christian, if one is genuine to themselves and more importantly to G-d. 20 years, unfortunately, is a mere nothing. For an abstract scholar, a student from the outside looking in, it is an overwhelming task to be able to give "true" credit to the value of the teachings. For the Jews there is Kabbala, Massorah, and other educational and scholarship devices. For the Christian there are the detractors of Paul, the reductionists, the politicists, and others who would whittle away at the faith and attempt to undermine the meme. These people do not understand, nor is it expected of an outsider to understand. G-d, and the meme of Christianity, supercede attempted undermining. G-d was here long before man had the first thought, and G-d will be here long after the last man has eroded into the dust from which he came. To a scholar who is attempting to show G-d does not exist, or to whom playing god himself is a reputable vocation, this concept does not register. It cannot. To do so would be to set up a psychological dichotomy that would insure insanity if not effectively resolved. So the atheist scholar denies the existence of G-d, in spite of the circumstantial evidence that surrounds him.

I had hoped to continue the subject at hand, concerning sacrifice. The bulk of what I have mentioned here is contained in multiple threads elsewhere in the forum. The subject of sacrifice, however, seems to be one of those hard questions even the doubters shun. Unless they bring it up merely to expose some white underbelly, and then run. I trust neither you nor Cage are that kind.

So, may I ask for your input on sacrifice, and the significance to cultures around the world? :D

Sacrifice is, indeed, a very common theme cross-culturally and throughout human history. The following are some of my ponderings on it, informed by anthropology... but not from the viewpoint of an anthropologist. I stress here that this is my view as me- as a spiritual individual- not as a scientist, yet informed by some of the research from social science.

As you said, Juan, it may be that this originated in the hunt. Many hunter-gatherer peoples believe that animals are sentient beings- they are people in different outward forms. In fact, many believe in reincarnation cycles between humans and animals. Thus, an animal sacrifices itself in the hunt. It is an act of love from the animal to his human brethren. It is understood that one day the human will die, be reincarnated as an animal, and be the one to sacrifice himself in turn whilst the former animal is now the hunter. It is perceived as a mutual cycle of give and take, not a one way cycle of animals or humans offered up to a God.

It is worth mentioning that these small-scale societies of hunter-gatherers and also many horticultural societies had small population sizes, little stratification, leaders did not have power (ability to use force), and a correlate of this kind of social organization was a similar religious system. Religious leaders were part-timers who relied on innate gifts- the shaman. They were trained informally under other shamans and were otherwise pretty much like everyone else (not a professional class of folks). Everyone had access to the supernatural, and it was common for ordinary folks to heal, trance, spirit journey, have visions, etc. It's just that the shamans are gifted in that area, the way some people are gifted hunters, artists, or whatever.

Typically, as societies became more complex and larger populations, as government became more stratified and powerful-- in chiefdoms and states-- religion changed to look more like the rest of society. Full-time priests, who often had a great deal of power, took the place of local shamans. Spirits (mostly ancestral and nature) gave way to pantheons of gods, and eventually to a One God. Finally, most of these large-scale societies had a shift in the spirituality of their people. In the smaller-scale societies, the supernatural was experienced as a part of everyday life by everyone. Everyone was able to receive visions, messages, etc. But as power becomes more vested in a limited elite in larger scale societies, so too supernatural experience and power becomes more removed from the general populace. Priests begin to be seen as the mediators between humanity and god(s). There is perceived to be a more or less unbridgeable gulf between the god(s) and humans, one only perhaps bridged by acknowledging the power of the priestly class (who were often hooked up to political elite) and given tribute to them to offer up to the god(s). So sacrifice shifted in its meaning from a mutual cycle between humans and nature, done in perpetuity for the ongoing life of each, to something that was offered in a one-way direction from common person to priest to god(s). Divine messages and guidance went the opposite direction from god(s) to priests to common people.

But overall, as everyday people were distanced from social and political power and as society was increasingly stratified economically, we see the same thing happen in the supernatural world. People are distanced from the supernatural, and the right/authority to speak for god(s) becomes stratified.

Then comes along Jesus, going in the opposite direction!

Jesus is a manifestation of God, a sacrifice that went the wrong way. In so doing, he broke down the barrier between humanity and God, and thus people now perceive they can go directly to God again, have a direct relationship. Priests are useful, trained people who can help us in studying scripture, perform ritual, etc. but Jesus argued that it was a personal relationship, what we ourselves did and not the priests, that ensured our salvation. And to top it off, God manifested Himself as an ordinary person. Not one of the elite, and not using His enormous spiritual power to His own benefit to become elite. The ultimate example of what it is to act in accordance with the will of God rather than for ourselves, to focus on love rather than power, to use power wisely for the good of others (to heal, to feed, to care for others).

And... in a way, Jesus reinstated the more tradition, hunter-gatherer approach to sacrifice. Jesus sacrificed Himself that we might live. We are called to "die to ourselves," to "pick up our cross," to sacrifice our own desires, that Jesus may live in and through us, continuing His manifestation in the Body of Christ. And in so doing, we usher in the Kingdom of Heaven. We usher in harmony with God and with each other and the earth in sacrificing our ego to allow for the indwelling. Sacrifice is wrested from elite power and separation between God and humans... and is returned to a cycle of life birthing life, goodness birthing goodness, love birthing love.

My thoughts...
Path

I have nothing of real value to offer in regard to this discussion, and I must admit, I feel out matched on an intellectual level. I have mostly questions, along with doubts, and I'm merely trying to come to terms with the whole blood sacrifice issue, but it seems that I cannot. (For the time being, anyway)

I've been reading the reply's, and I thank you all for going into such depth, still I'm a little overwhelmed by it all./shrug

I would love to just be a lurker on this thread as you guys discussed, and expressed your personal views. I can pop in with questions, and my own thoughts when I feel the need to clarify something, lol!

As for other religious texts, I believe they all have great value, and maybe even as 'important' as the bible itself? Even so, I'm a bible fanatic, and I know very little about other belief systems. Which is why I ask my question on a Christianity board, and direct them at Christians themselves.

I'm reading every reply, and pondering each with proper respect, so please don't think I've left the thread, because I haven't. I just don't have anything of value to offer at the moment...

~Cage~

path_of_one said:

Jesus is a manifestation of God, a sacrifice that went the wrong way. In so doing, he broke down the barrier between humanity and God, and thus people now perceive they can go directly to God again, have a direct relationship. Priests are useful, trained people who can help us in studying scripture, perform ritual, etc. but Jesus argued that it was a personal relationship, what we ourselves did and not the priests, that ensured our salvation. And to top it off, God manifested Himself as an ordinary person. Not one of the elite, and not using His enormous spiritual power to His own benefit to become elite. The ultimate example of what it is to act in accordance with the will of God rather than for ourselves, to focus on love rather than power, to use power wisely for the good of others (to heal, to feed, to care for others).

And... in a way, Jesus reinstated the more tradition, hunter-gatherer approach to sacrifice. Jesus sacrificed Himself that we might live. We are called to "die to ourselves," to "pick up our cross," to sacrifice our own desires, that Jesus may live in and through us, continuing His manifestation in the Body of Christ. And in so doing, we usher in the Kingdom of Heaven. We usher in harmony with God and with each other and the earth in sacrificing our ego to allow for the indwelling. Sacrifice is wrested from elite power and separation between God and humans... and is returned to a cycle of life birthing life, goodness birthing goodness, love birthing love.

My thoughts...
Path

this is brilliant. *applause*
you just put about 30 extremely valuable passages into proper context in a very unique way that i appreciate very much.

A God so mighty & rich can reveal Himself & yet hold & cherish our fragile lives ever so gentle while making a way of escape is the most beautiful thing & certainly worthy of our praise. it is simply not possible to express in words as the old hymn says, it is Joy Unspeakable & full of glory and the half has never yet been told.

Well said Path! I second Bandit's praise. :)

luna

path_of_one said:
Sacrifice is, indeed, a very common theme cross-culturally and throughout human history. The following are some of my ponderings on it, informed by anthropology... but not from the viewpoint of an anthropologist. I stress here that this is my view as me- as a spiritual individual- not as a scientist, yet informed by some of the research from social science.

As you said, Juan, it may be that this originated in the hunt. Many hunter-gatherer peoples believe that animals are sentient beings- they are people in different outward forms. In fact, many believe in reincarnation cycles between humans and animals. Thus, an animal sacrifices itself in the hunt. It is an act of love from the animal to his human brethren. It is understood that one day the human will die, be reincarnated as an animal, and be the one to sacrifice himself in turn whilst the former animal is now the hunter. It is perceived as a mutual cycle of give and take, not a one way cycle of animals or humans offered up to a God.

It is worth mentioning that these small-scale societies of hunter-gatherers and also many horticultural societies had small population sizes, little stratification, leaders did not have power (ability to use force), and a correlate of this kind of social organization was a similar religious system. Religious leaders were part-timers who relied on innate gifts- the shaman. They were trained informally under other shamans and were otherwise pretty much like everyone else (not a professional class of folks). Everyone had access to the supernatural, and it was common for ordinary folks to heal, trance, spirit journey, have visions, etc. It's just that the shamans are gifted in that area, the way some people are gifted hunters, artists, or whatever.

Typically, as societies became more complex and larger populations, as government became more stratified and powerful-- in chiefdoms and states-- religion changed to look more like the rest of society. Full-time priests, who often had a great deal of power, took the place of local shamans. Spirits (mostly ancestral and nature) gave way to pantheons of gods, and eventually to a One God. Finally, most of these large-scale societies had a shift in the spirituality of their people. In the smaller-scale societies, the supernatural was experienced as a part of everyday life by everyone. Everyone was able to receive visions, messages, etc. But as power becomes more vested in a limited elite in larger scale societies, so too supernatural experience and power becomes more removed from the general populace. Priests begin to be seen as the mediators between humanity and god(s). There is perceived to be a more or less unbridgeable gulf between the god(s) and humans, one only perhaps bridged by acknowledging the power of the priestly class (who were often hooked up to political elite) and given tribute to them to offer up to the god(s). So sacrifice shifted in its meaning from a mutual cycle between humans and nature, done in perpetuity for the ongoing life of each, to something that was offered in a one-way direction from common person to priest to god(s). Divine messages and guidance went the opposite direction from god(s) to priests to common people.

But overall, as everyday people were distanced from social and political power and as society was increasingly stratified economically, we see the same thing happen in the supernatural world. People are distanced from the supernatural, and the right/authority to speak for god(s) becomes stratified.

My thoughts...
Path

Kindest Regards, path!

Thank you, very much, for putting this subject into a context that seems to make sense. Yours is by far the best commentary on the subject I have seen.

I still have questions as to what the significance of blood is, what purpose it serves. Of course, as a Christian, it is no longer a point of concern, it is moot. Until fairly recent times blood was still offered by various Pagan groups (among others), and the curiousity in me wonders why? I did speak with a shaman friend of mine, who suggests the essense of the being is in the blood. This essense is then applied, by sympathetic magick, to whatever ritual is being performed. It was also mentioned that semen, vaginal fluids and menstrual blood are also very potent in this regard (essense of the being), which I sense is the basis of "sex magick." However, all of this is sufficiently vague to me that I cannot claim I understand.

I must stress, that as a Christian this is no longer of import to me, it is merely an academic curiousity, although I understand these things are still important to those who practice them.

Thank you again for your input. I always find your posts to be well informed and considerate. :)

Last edited:
Kindest Regards, Cage!

I have nothing of real value to offer in regard to this discussion, and I must admit, I feel out matched on an intellectual level. I have mostly questions, along with doubts, and I'm merely trying to come to terms with the whole blood sacrifice issue, but it seems that I cannot. (For the time being, anyway)
I understand, very much, where you are coming from. About feeling outmatched, don't. Just a friendly suggestion. The only questions and doubts that are, ummm, overwhelming, are the ones not expressed. I will grant that not all can appreciate certain questions and doubts, but I think you will find here a group that is much more sympathetic and understanding. We bounce our questions and doubts off of each other all of the time, that is what makes this place so unique, and so gratifying. I know I have kindred spirits I can commune with here, that understand the complexities of walking a path of faith on a tightrope. My friends here are my safety net.

Good luck in your search, I truly wish you peace in your journey. :)

The thing is, in order to create the illusion of being "self-born", both Judaism and Christianity, but particularly Christianity has engaged in an effort to destroy any material that would provide a basis for questioning the literality of its theology. One of the effects of this shred-job is that we don't have any reliable information on who the actual, historical Jesus might have been.

Chris

i have wondered why this is also. i must remember that if the story is true which i believe it is, Jesus was a lowly man. the son of a carpenter. i dont think he was real wealthy & obviously not interested in a political agenda. he was not really that well known & as he became popular that is when it was time for him to finish his work here.
everyone knows the history from about 300 this way paints a sketchy picture for us, but i have let that go because it is past & there is nothing anyone can do to change that. right?
so we have these little tid bits here & there that dont really add up to much unless we make it a big deal.
i dont think Jesus had a political agenda as many religions do. see, i dont belong to a denomination like that & i am more comfortable with being allowed to ask my Pastor many questions without him ever getting tired of me coming to him or feel like he is pushing me away. there are still some true men of God in the world who want us to know as much as we can before they pass on. & for me it is all by word of mouth which i really like.

obviously, they did not keep records of everyone as they were born & as they died in 30 AD, so it would be rather difficult to prove that most of those people ever existed. unless you are some kind of royalty & in a political office. Jesus was considered a low life criminal with no faults. (explain that) they did not even know who his parents were. remember? Christ, Whose son is he? David? the Lord from heaven? how can he be both at the same time? how could Jesus be before Abraham & also be the son of David??
ah- this is what people did not like & understand about Him.

yet somehow the fame of Jesus went abroad on its own & by WHO??. it was not by any particular sect.
according to the scriptures it went on by word of mouth through the Apostles Word & some people believed & others murdered anyone who preached in the name of Jesus.
they were not sending millions of letters, newspapers, faxes, emails. i mean, what was paper then? how did good news spread? how long have we had cameras & recordings for proof of anything? not very long.

you do take all this & the different times into account right?

but particularly Christianity has engaged in an effort to destroy any material that would provide a basis for questioning the literality of its theology.

there is some of proof for this, however i think you can take the scriptures alone & still come up with just about anything you want. but what good is it if it cannot be applied to something literal.
i personally do not consider what happened after the Apostles, i.e. sects, deniminations & dogma has a lot to do with the true message of the Apostles. in other words, what are we really looking for?
what do we really need to be satisified?
i suppose if we make it all a big hoax & do not put the scriptures to the test for ourselves then we will never know. but they key here would be are we testing the scriptures the way we are supposed to, through application to our lives.

for me, i am pretty content with the Apostles Doctrine & what the NT holds & all the other doctines & extra books just dont cut it the same way. Jesus handed the mission over to the apostles & gave them commandments & i feel they did the best they could do to get the message of this man named Jesus to us. it was not just Jesus who changed the world, it was the Apostles who followed Jesus who turned the world upside down starting at Pentecost when the gift of the Holy Ghost was given...& i could go on & on about that...

it is really that hard to believe that paul & silas were in a prsion cell & and earthquake set them free while singing songs of praise? i mean prisoners sneak out of jail all the time today.

so if we look at everything from a historical POV only, that will surely not get us real far into a spiritual realm with God. nothing wrong with studying history though. i mean we have people out there today who want to change the history we have over the last 80 years & say things never happened. right? people doing this over time is nothing new. so, people 50 years from today will surely be doubting if 9/11 ever happened because it is so easy to fudge photography, email & recordings... & so what.

if i look at everything from an illusion POV, then all i get are illusions.

& what is theology? the study of God. some say the study of religion, i say the study of God. how can we study God? i study Him through Jesus & i learn more about God that way. but what do i know about God? i dont know except that i have no reason to doubt that He is the Father & that the Father created all these things for me & that i am a tiny spec in His purpose within purpose that he has purposed. i only know what i know because of Jesus. i cant see God with my tiny eyes because He is too big & He goes to far & he is byond my comprehension. but i know i can see Jesus & i have to give a testimony because i feel Jesus is the only way I know how to get to God.

again, people can say whatever they want to say about God & we can say whatever we want to say about the BIble & other ancient writings because they are old.
i have my own personal questions on a handful of passsges because they do not follow true to form with the whole picture & there is evidence of what was originally cited by popes, so we do indeed have a clue as to what was really written & that it had been altered later. (but there was not that much added or changed that changed the big picture IMO) 540 was not especially nice either. who says i have to listen to Gregory?

i cant say i trust what historians say all the time either. so where do we go from here? i say, just be & do the best with what we have & be thankful.

& now back to WHY blood sacrifice...& burgers at Mc Donalds.

Cage said:
I've been reading the reply's, and I thank you all for going into such depth, still I'm a little overwhelmed by it all./shrug

~Cage~

that makes two of us. overwhelming & it just gets better, richer, fuller deeper all the time. cause that is how Jesus is.:)

So, may I ask for your input on sacrifice, and the significance to cultures around the world?

I'll have to think about that. Path's post was very good. For now, since it's late I'll offer this:

I'm not a superstitious person, but I will sometimes, when I'm playing, sacrifice a golf ball to the water god. It's really just a joke, but the idea is that if I give the water god a ball he/she/it will be satiated and leave my other balls alone. I think that the same principle of appeasment applies to more traditional sacrifices. Not all, but some. The tribe offers the life and blood of a member or animal to appease and satiate a god so it will leave the tribe and the tribe's livestock or crops alone.

I don't think that principle applies the Jesus' sacrifice. If we confine ourselves to the context of the gospels and official church doctrine it would seem that Jesus death, while benefiting humans, has a larger effect of settling a cosmic wager between God and Satan. I'm not entirely sure that the salvation resulting from the sacrifice isn't just a side effect of that larger cosmic play. That may be a chicken and egg thing, though.

It's clear, also, that Jesus death and resurrection ar also elements of a personal initiation ritual for him. Upon completion of this initiation he moves into a different office, or puts on a new hat so to speak, in the heavenly hierarchy. In Revelation it says that he is given a new name that only he knows. Names and naming are a big deal in the OT, as I'm sure you're aware. (Don't want to get into that right now!)

I confess that I don't understand why the Logos would be a localized being, or why it's sacrifice would remedy original sin. I have some ideas, but they're very hermetic so I won't get into that either. What I mean is that I don't understand it from a strictly biblical perspective, although I'm working on it.

If I seem to over-intellectualize the Bible it has a lot to do with the mental and emotional processes I went through to break out of a severely rigid fundamentalist mindset that was programmed into me from birth by my parents. I find the Christ's philosophy of love for God and man very easy to understand and accept because it's so simple and intuitive. This is what recommends it to me. Everything thing else I question rigorously!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me, I truly appreciate it.:)

Chris

Back