Ecclesiastes

Kindest Regards, all!

Interesting, I find agreement in interpretation within what all of you have written.

For the most part, I find myself in agreement with China Cat, except:
but he's parodying, or caricaturizing the role of the "preacher." But this is an entirely different kind of preacher than some wild-eyed prophet from the wilderness preaching doom and gloom and apocolyptic consequences.
Forgive me, but since when has it been a requirement to be wild-eyed in order to be a preacher? I do not see a caricature, although I agree with the balance of your summary. I do think it is a late middle aged man looking back on his life with an eye towards leaving a bit of sage advice for his offspring and any others who would listen. A metaphorical statement of his wisdom in itself, he shared this and other wisdom writings not only with his progeny (didn't just "keep the wealth in the family"), he shared this advice with his nation. Too bad so few of them listened, even to this day. Not a poke at any specific group, but at all equally who claim any descent figurative or literal from the nation of Israel (from a time when both houses were still united!).

The only thing I have as a minor disagreement with in Q's interpretation, is that I don't believe it is all garbage. Like I said earlier, some forms and kinds of knowledge, wisdom and understanding are necessary. Are there not verses that speak of the value of riches, at least as many as speak against the concerns of riches? Wealth is a blessing. I might be inclined to believe it is a mixed blessing, but it is a blessing.

The vanity part of wealth is that we can't take it with us. So we may as well be wise with it, for the betterment of those we love.

Sure. we can get to heaven just fine without wealth. But how will it be for those we love left behind here to deal without it? Oh, they will probably scrape by. But wouldn't it be so much nicer if it is our ability to provide, to make life just a little easier for those we love, even after we are gone?

Of course, now I am sounding like a life insurance salesman...but the basic idea extends, even beyond the concept of wealth.

We are permitted to enjoy the good things in life, that is our portion for going through what can be a rather miserable existence. We can have nice things, as long as we are not caught up in them (putting them before G-d). But in the end, we cannot take them with us, so we might as well do something profitable for the benefit of those we care about. So no, I don't think everything is garbage.

But then, who am I but another fellow traveller trying to understand the wisdom left to us by someone who cared enough to write us these words. :D

In rereading Ecclesiastes I'm struck by how much the writings of such notable figures as Thoreau and R. W. Emerson have in common with the author of an OT book. I'm thinking specifically of Thoreau's question of who is master, the livestock or the farmer? He observed that the farmers life seemed to be harnessed to providing for the animals, and noted how much more spacious the animals quarters were than the farmer's. At the end of the second chapter of Ecclesiastes the author muses that all the work and wealth of the sinner is stored up for until his death, and thereafter given to the righteous man. That reminded me of Emerson's essay on compensation.

Chris

This book gives us a lesson in true values, what is the best way to expend time and energy? Would it be beneficial to make pleasure activities our main goal? Should we strive to accumulate material wealth or to achieve a celebrated reputation? What pursuits in life are of the greatest value?​

Fine guidance on this matter can be found in the Bible book of Ecclesiastes. in it are found "the words of the congregator, the son of David the king in Jerusalem." (Eccl. 1:1, 12) Evidently "the congregator" is King Solomon, who became internationally famous for wisdom. The book of Ecclesiastes contains his counsel both on things that are worthless and on those that are of true value

mee said:
This book gives us a lesson in true values, what is the best way to expend time and energy? Would it be beneficial to make pleasure activities our main goal? Should we strive to accumulate material wealth or to achieve a celebrated reputation? What pursuits in life are of the greatest value?​

Fine guidance on this matter can be found in the Bible book of Ecclesiastes. in it are found "the words of the congregator, the son of David the king in Jerusalem." (Eccl. 1:1, 12) Evidently "the congregator" is King Solomon, who became internationally famous for wisdom. The book of Ecclesiastes contains his counsel both on things that are worthless and on those that are of true value

I think what the book means is take pleasure in the simple things of life. Don't go looking for greater and greater things, because they aren't really there. One man, can search the entire Universe and find nothing that satisfies him for long. Another man can find the wonders of the universe right in his own back yard. And the trick is to ask God to show him the wonders that God wishes him to see...

my thoughts

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
I think what the book means is take pleasure in the simple things of life. Don't go looking for greater and greater things, because they aren't really there. One man, can search the entire Universe and find nothing that satisfies him for long. Another man can find the wonders of the universe right in his own back yard. And the trick is to ask God to show him the wonders that God wishes him to see...

my thoughts

v/r

Q
Hmm, that brings to mind one of Einstein's quotes:
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. It was the experience of mystery -- even if mixed with fear -- that engendered religion. A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, our perceptions of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which only in their most primitive forms are accessible to our minds: it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute true religiosity. In this sense, and only this sense, I am a deeply religious man.
--Albert Einstein
Living Philosophies, "The World As I See It" (1931)

seattlegal said:
Hmm, that brings to mind one of Einstein's quotes:

Hmmm, maybe it is a "Pisces" thingy...:rolleyes: :p :D

Seriously, I made you think of Einstein? (I won't get a big head, honest...)

whoooaa (puff chest) lol ;)

v/r

E= mcQ'd

Quahom1 said:
Hmmm, maybe it is a "Pisces" thingy...:rolleyes: :p :D

Seriously, I made you think of Einstein? (I won't get a big head, honest...)

whoooaa (puff chest) lol ;)

v/r

E= mcQ'd
LOL! :D Perhaps you might be more comfortable with Michelangelo's interpretation?

Attachments

• adam.jpeg
    adam.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 143
12:11 The words of the wise (are) as goads, and as nails fastened (by) the masters of assemblies, (which) are given from one shepherd.

I tend to like Albert Barnes take on this verse..first from Noah Webster's 1611 Dictionary. Goad.n.A pointed instrument used to stimulate a beast to action.

Words of wise men are as goads as they drive us into action, nails because they remain fixed in the memory...masters of assemblies are teachers/preachers...and one shepard is Christ himself

Just to chip in as a latecomer, if I may. The whole duty of man is the worship of God--everything else is vanity by comparison. Things come and go; God remains (along with faith, hope, and charity).

As Jesus said, You cannot serve God and Mammon (the world). And, Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Kierkegaard's take on that: Purity of heart is to will one thing. (He actually wrote a book with this title)

Back