Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Lord of the Rings Series

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
faithfulservant said:
and Frank Herberts Dune!

How could I have forgotten? I read all six books, and two of the prequels. Amazing series.

Quahom1 said:
Dauer, Tao and me...sci-fi as religious fiction. Yep, that makes sense. For me, the Star Trek saga is a religious fiction I can identify with.

Well, I thought that in Star Trek, The Next Generation, all the characters were meant to illustrate parts of Piccard's psyche. Like Warf was his warrior side, Troy was his emotional self, #1 was his ego, Ganon was his intuitive nature...etc.

Has anyone read L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth decology? It's straight SciFi, nothing to do with Scientology.

Chris

Tao_Equus said:
Lol, a little synchronicity creeping in, I read this 'after' my reference to Captain Kirk on the other thread :p

I wouldn't pat myself on the back too hard. I've been toughting ST years before you arrived on scene...:D

China Cat Sunflower said:
Well, I thought that in Star Trek, The Next Generation, all the characters were meant to illustrate parts of Piccard's psyche. Like Warf was his warrior side, Troy was his emotional self, #1 was his ego, Ganon was his intuitive nature...etc.

Has anyone read L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth decology? It's straight SciFi, nothing to do with Scientology.

Chris

Not very interesting in my view...but then what does that mean? nada...

China Cat Sunflower said:

Chris
Chris,

I have had similar thoughts, precisely along these lines. In my own versions, however, it was The Enterprise itself - Mark II (?) ... which was "the entity." I view it as something of a lifeform, with the characters you mention serving in these roles. One can even begin to overlap characters with locations on the ship ... and relate these to the various chakras in a human being, although other systems (such as the Kabbalistic Tree of Life) might also be interesting.

The command center, then, with Picard and maybe #1 as exemplars, has everything to do with the crown center, Troi relates to both heart and Ajna/third eye, and Worf may fit fairly well in the solar plexus area. Data, one of my favorite characters, does not square away so easily, and might represent something else entirely.

This idea is easier to understand if one takes in a bit of Voyager, especially the earliest episodes, which speak of the ship's bio-energetic systems (I can't recall if this word might have been used), and one which deals with some kind of gel-pacs that "catch the flu" and clearly involve cellular storage.

One of my favorite episodes from Next Gen called `Tin Man,' drives this point home with the finding of a lifeform which was once a space vessel, but has long since lost its crew. It makes its way to a star going supernova (I think), and the spiritual implications are obvious if one watches that episode ... but the idea of a ship that is literally alive, and thereby interacts with its crew, to varying degrees, is what captivates me. I would bet a small island worth of gold, that this has everything to do with how actual ETs (sic) relate to their equipment, technology, and ships. ;)

cheers,

taijasi

I really thought that The Davinci Code was a great read, even if I didn't fully agree with some of the subject matter. One book that has stayed with me for a long time is Shoes of the Fisherman, a book written in the 50's or 60's. But then, hey, I'm a borderline codger.

flow....:p

I quite like 'Siddhartha' by Herman Hesse. Also 'The Glass Bead Game'.

Back