typical images of Jesus Christ in your Christian denominations

jerzybg

Reaction score
Hi
Query to members of different denominations of christian background:
Do you have any typical only for your denomination images of Jesus Christ?
I mean images being displayed in your homes, religious buildings etc., etc.
Please, publish them on the forum, if you have any.

The only picture we have of Jesus is that famous picture of Him praying in the Garden of Eden.

http://www.dwl-co.com/NewFiles/Jesus%20In%20The%20Garden.html

But of course, I don't think Jesus was blue-eyed and blonde hair. I'm sure He looked more like the indigineous 1st century Jews of that region of the world: dark complexion, black or brown hair, brown eyes.

I don't worship a picture. But people like icons so that they can relate to a face when they think of a person.

Oh, sorry. When I meant we, I meant my family and the picture in our house. I'm Baptist, but we don't display pictures of Jesus in our church, just a cross.

I'm not a Mormon (or really a Christian, for that matter), but there is a famous painting of Jesus that Mormons acknowledge ... though I forget the details (artist, etc.). I can't find the version that I was looking for, but this is the same image - http://www.mormon.org/learn/0,8672,802-1,00.html.

I can't say much about other images accepted by entire denominations. I'm sure there are some, but I'd say there are literally thousands of different paintings out there that resonate with various people. Personally, I think it would help if people got used to the idea of an African or African-American Jesus, perhaps an Asian Jesus, or basically anything other than the same-old same-old, blond-haired and blue-eyed stereotype. After all, as Dondi says, he would have had a darker complexion, and features common to Middle Eastern people of 2000 years ago ... not the Aryan stuff. :-s

My own belief, is that the sketch below (by the artist David Anrias) on the left is Jesus as he was ~2100 years ago, while the one on the right is Jesus now. :)

nazarene.gifjesus.jpg

Namaskar,

taijasi

jerzybg said:
Hi
Query to members of different denominations of christian background:
Do you have any typical only for your denomination images of Jesus Christ?
I mean images being displayed in your homes, religious buildings etc., etc.
Please, publish them on the forum, if you have any.

This one is titled "The Ascended Master"

It strikes a deep chord in me.

taijasi, your image of Mormon Jesus Christ is well known as "Christ in Red Robe" and was painted by Del Parson. I have seen a copy of the image even
in Warsaw Mormon Chapel when visiting as a collector of religious artifacts.

Maybe, Africans and Asians have their own images of Jesus Christ. vbmenu_register("postmenu_65290", true);

Hi, I'm from the Uniting Church in Australia, sort of a Presbyterian/Methodist hybrid... Like many Protestant denominations we have no typical image of Jesus and tend to have an empty cross... One of my favourite images of Jesus though comes from the UK and the artist is Henry Martin from the site Sermons 4 Kids. It depicts Jesus blessing of the bread and fish at the feeding og the 5000... Follow the link http://www.sermons4kids.com/feeding-5000-339x432_small.jpg

Blessings
Andrew

I remember a line in a Kate Bush song - "Have you ever seen a picture of Jesus laughing?" - always found that interesting.

In art, is Jesus generally portrayed as serious and contemplative, or is there a strain of images wih him smiling?

I said:
I remember a line in a Kate Bush song - "Have you ever seen a picture of Jesus laughing?" - always found that interesting.

In art, is Jesus generally portrayed as serious and contemplative, or is there a strain of images wih him smiling?
Does this count?

Buddy Christ.jpg

taijasi

I said:

Lot's of them...And a lot more with a look of...excited expectancy, like a coach watching his player about to perform.

v/r

Q

It maybe true that 'some' simple minded people have to 'see' a face to relate to. But i'd say one thing expect to be extremely surprised when you see the man in person. How would you know it is Jesus if you saw him today? Or in your Dreams? And have mistaken him for someone else because he does not resemble those 'faces' in the pictures? I will tell you, you will identify the Lord from your spirit!

Azure24 said:
It maybe true that 'some' simple minded people have to 'see' a face to relate to. But i'd say one thing expect to be extremely surprised when you see the man in person. How would you know it is Jesus if you saw him today? Or in your Dreams? And have mistaken him for someone else because he does not resemble those 'faces' in the pictures? I will tell you, you will identify the Lord from your spirit!

Everytime we look at another human being, we see Jesus. Everytime we help another human being, we help Jesus. Everytime we ignore a human being, we ignore Jesus. Is that simple minded enough? "What so ever you do to the least of these my bretheren..."

Maybe we aren't so simple minded after all.

v/r

Q

I really liked the image you put up, Q- it strikes a chord with me as well.

I can't remember who painted it- wish I could- but my favorite painting I've ever seen of Jesus was of Him happy and laughing, surrounded by children. It may have been in a local Christian children's hospital, but it was years ago and I can't remember. It was a huge painting, though, about the size of a wall.

In my imagination, Jesus looks Jewish, but He sometimes wears Druidic robes and carries a staff with a lantern attached to it. I love the symbolism of Jesus being the Light, forging the way through darkness. I imagine Jesus as a joyful, encouraging person just as frequently (if not more so) than I imagine him as a contemplative, serious one.

I've seen statues of African-American Jesus before, and I think they're neat. I haven't seen an Asian Jesus yet.

I think the Christ is a living entity and though the human Jesus was Jewish, the risen Christ, the creative Word incarnate, is universal. So I think it is appropriate that He is depicted as every ethnicity and culture.

Most of the art I'm familiar with in the church I go to when I go (Episcopalian), is stained glass and Jesus looks like a Jewish guy. I rarely see a blonde, blue-eyed Jesus.

path_of_one said:
I really liked the image you put up, Q- it strikes a chord with me as well.

I can't remember who painted it- wish I could- but my favorite painting I've ever seen of Jesus was of Him happy and laughing, surrounded by children. It may have been in a local Christian children's hospital, but it was years ago and I can't remember. It was a huge painting, though, about the size of a wall.

In my imagination, Jesus looks Jewish, but He sometimes wears Druidic robes and carries a staff with a lantern attached to it. I love the symbolism of Jesus being the Light, forging the way through darkness. I imagine Jesus as a joyful, encouraging person just as frequently (if not more so) than I imagine him as a contemplative, serious one.

I've seen statues of African-American Jesus before, and I think they're neat. I haven't seen an Asian Jesus yet.

I think the Christ is a living entity and though the human Jesus was Jewish, the risen Christ, the creative Word incarnate, is universal. So I think it is appropriate that He is depicted as every ethnicity and culture.

Most of the art I'm familiar with in the church I go to when I go (Episcopalian), is stained glass and Jesus looks like a Jewish guy. I rarely see a blonde, blue-eyed Jesus.

Have to laugh...the "ascended master" does remind me of an Israeli I met in Haifa back in 99 (also a carpenter). He supported his friends and family who run the USO in Israel. When I saw him for the first time, I did a double take, and then he WINKED at me! Then his wife Gilla, came up and pretty much did a lip lock on him...:p :rolleyes: :)

The portrait is a very "Jewish man" looking to me. And there is an etheral quality I can't quite pinpoint...

v/r

Q

Back