Sunni vs Shi'a

I agree. Muslims MUST unite! We should stop listening hyprocrites among us who are in the political leaderships and should start listening to each other.

I think it is about the time some of us admit to the atrocities commited against Ali pbuh and his family, and many other Muslims (whether Shi'a or Sunni sects) who were killed in the stupid wars. We must start acknowledging the fact that our animosities are driving us to hell and are only helping the enemies & haters of our Faith.

Peace I Brian,

There is a difference of opinion amongst the Sunni Scholars of wether the Shia's are out of Islam or still in it [wether their Muslims or disbelievers]; some say that they are heretics and not Muslims at all and others say that they are deviants and grave sinners [as they have an extremely distorted interpretation of Islam] but nonetheless, still Muslims. [I'm not sure about the percentage of the Scholars holding iether of these opinions]

I think there is only one sect of Shia's, which accounts for only a tiny minority of the Shia's, that all Sunni Scholars agree that they are Muslims.

The Iraq civil war is primarily a power struggle and not a Shia/Sunni war; the fact that Shia's are fighting Sunnis and vica versa, is secondary. Some Sunni's are even kiling other Sunni's who are assisting the American set up government in any way.

I personally feel appalled to see all the tit for tat killing of Shia and Sunni civillians in Iraq, as Islam totally forbids the taking of innocent life.

Innocent life is highly valued in Islam and it says in the Quran that if a person takes one innocent life, then it is as if though he has killed all of humanity, and if a person saves an innocent life, then it is as though he has saved all of humanity.

hope that helps.

Peace.

i think there are some people whos islamic beleifs are 'tainited' may Allah forgive me for insinuating anything negative. but these are the people that cause problems, such as people who get involved with *attempted* terrorist attacks, and actual attacks. these people could be the people causing stress between the different sects within islam. some poeple will do things in a dignified manner, and at the end of the day, we know what islam is about, and people are wrying to get it back, in shi'ite islam, they foucs on a group of imams, who they have pictures of around their neighbouring villages, as far as i have learned, this is agianst islamic teachings. i also dont get why they mention Ali in their adhan, is that is their version of the shahada?

asalaamu 'alaikum

i am a revert to islam and have been in the deen for a year and a bit .... almost two years now. I attend madrassa twice a week and am blessed to have found such a fabulous institution of learning! shafi and hanafi learn side by side ..... we question each other and insodoing, learn more. we respect each others' points of view and sometimes agree to disagree. but we all believe in the same essence of islam: tawhid. that prophet muhammed (pbuh) was the final messenger. that angels exist and that there is a hereafter.
sure, we must find the answers to our queries, but like we were taught in class: first consult the Quran. then the sunnah. then common sense..... god ... Allah ... has given us the gift of reasoning and the faculty of intellect. let's not focus so hard on the full stop within the layout... that we dont see the page.
zoom out. (sorry people, i am a layout artist.... and express myself accordingly!)

its educational reading through these replies though! one can never know enough

shukran for all sharing your knowledge. god bless

I said:
The differences between Catholic and Protestants are still ongoing, with continued sectarian violence in Northern Ireland, and here in Scotland it's a serious issue as well.

But back to Sunni and Shi'a - is there any kind of sense of brotherhood between Sunni's and Shi'as, even at a distance?

There are many levels of interaction and relationships. On one level, you have the scholars, the real top of the chain scholars, who can an do talk and discuss things together. Sometimes even study together. Then you have the personal level. There is actually very little perceptible difference between Sunnis and Shi’as in faith or in habits. There are many individuals who are close friends, or who are married. I know many of them personally, and in general you can find them anywhere the two communities exist, like in Iraq. The problem has always been among the uneducated or pseudo-educated masses. Like most people, these people do not know what is the difference and why, but only that they are different, the other whom we could blame for all of our ills and misfortunes. This is true of all human groups, but in Islam it becomes more traumatic because it goes against one of the major tenants of the faith and threatens the 3rd source of Islamic religious and legal legitimacy, communal consensus.

My take is that with the spread of education and of knowledge of the other by the various means of media that are spreading in the old world, the views of both communities will gradually converge and reconciliation would set in. We can already see this in the views of the highly educated scholars and jurors.

aburaees said:
Originally Posted by Bukhari

Volume 1, Book 3, Number 130:

Narrated Anas bin Malik: "Once Mu'adh was along with Allah's Apostle as a companion rider. Allah's Apostle said, "O Mu'adh bin Jabal." Mu'adh replied, "Labbaik and Sa'daik. O Allah's Apostle!" Again the Prophet said, "O Mu'adh!" Mu'adh said thrice, "Labbaik and Sa'daik, O Allah's Apostle!" Allah's Apostle said, "There is none who testifies sincerely that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is his Apostle, except that Allah, will save him from the Hell-fire." Mu'adh said, "O Allah's Apostle ! Should I not inform the people about it so that they may have glad tidings?" He replied, "When the people hear about it, they will solely depend on it." Then Mu'adh narrated the above-mentioned Hadith just before his death, being afraid of committing sin (by not telling the knowledge).

This one seems to imply that the first pillar of Islam is all that we really need at the end of the day.

Originally Posted by Bukhari

Bukhari Volume 6, Book 61, Number 512:
Narrated Al-Bara:
There was revealed: 'Not equal are those believers who sit (at home) and those who strive and fight in the Cause of Allah.' (4.95)
The Prophet said, "Call Zaid for me and let him bring the board, the inkpot and the scapula bone (or the scapula bone and the ink pot)."' Then he said, "Write: 'Not equal are those Believers who sit..", and at that time 'Amr bin Um Maktum, the blind man was sitting behind the Prophet . He said, "O Allah's Apostle! What is your order For me (as regards the above Verse) as I am a blind man?" So, instead of the above Verse, the following Verse was revealed:
'Not equal are those believers who sit (at home) except those who are disabled (by injury or are blind or lame etc.) and those who strive and fight in the cause of Allah.' (4.95)

This one seems to imply that a blind man corrected Allah's Qur'an! That Allah didn't have the foresight to reveal this verse correctly until a blind man complained about it?? How do YOU accept this Hadith? If you could explain it to me, maybe you'll be saving a soul.

As for # 1, yes. There are many indications in Islam that at the end of the day all you need to have is true faith in God and you will be saved. For starters, God can forgive any sin you commit except non-belief. In other words, if one has belief one is certainly ending in Paradise. The question is not if but when, because if you have sins you would have to atone for them first, unless God forgives them. What the other pillars or teachings of Islam do is to give you a recipie by which to avoid commiting sins, or tip the scale towrds your good deeds in order to be worthy of God's mercy and forgivness, and thus avoid any form of hell.

As for # 2, I find this more of a proof that the hadeeth is authentic. No one would fabricate such a thing when he knows that it means what you are implying. However, the Quran itself speaks of God changing verses at will. Also, we have many stories of the real time interaction of the Quran with the events and people during the life of the prophet, and this is just one of them. The wisdom behind it can be many things, including simply to show that God cares for everyone, even the most humble blind person. The only problem to me would be if there was a hadeeth in your collection that alleges a certain verse in the Quran to be different from what is collected in the Quran. Then you would have a case!

The Lord said:
As for # 1, yes. There are many indications in Islam that at the end of the day all you need to have is true faith in God and you will be saved. For starters, God can forgive any sin you commit except non-belief. In other words, if one has belief one is certainly ending in Paradise. The question is not if but when, because if you have sins you would have to atone for them first, unless God forgives them. What the other pillars or teachings of Islam do is to give you a recipie by which to avoid commiting sins, or tip the scale towrds your good deeds in order to be worthy of God's mercy and forgivness, and thus avoid any form of hell.

As for # 2, I find this more of a proof that the hadeeth is authentic. No one would fabricate such a thing when he knows that it means what you are implying. However, the Quran itself speaks of God changing verses at will. Also, we have many stories of the real time interaction of the Quran with the events and people during the life of the prophet, and this is just one of them. The wisdom behind it can be many things, including simply to show that God cares for everyone, even the most humble blind person. The only problem to me would be if there was a hadeeth in your collection that alleges a certain verse in the Quran to be different from what is collected in the Quran. Then you would have a case!

I welcome your comments. When I posted those Hadiths I was involved in a discussion with a Salafi brother who outright labelled Shiites as apostates who had left the fold of Islam. The first Hadith was posted to demonstrate that ALL who hold the first pillar (even if they differ on the rest) are eligible for Jannah.

The second Hadith was posted to test whether this brother could infact bring himself to doubt something from Sahih Al-Bukhari.

Now when you say;

The only problem to me would be if there was a hadeeth in your collection that alleges a certain verse in the Quran to be different from what is collected in the Quran. Then you would have a case!

What do you make of the following;

Bukhari Volume 5, Book 57, Number 85:
Narrated 'Alqama:
I went to Sham and offered a two-Rak'at prayer and then said, "O Allah! Bless me with a good pious companion." So I went to some people and sat with them. An old man came and sat by my side. I asked, "Who is he?" They replied, "(He is) Abu-Ad-Darda.' I said (to him), "I prayed to Allah to bless me with a pious companion and He sent you to me." He asked me, "From where are you?" I replied, "From the people of Al-Kufa." He said, "Isn't there amongst you Ibn Um 'Abd, the one who used to carry the shoes, the cushion(or pillow) and the water for ablution? Is there amongst you the one whom Allah gave Refuge from Satan through the request of His Prophet. Is there amongst you the one who keeps the secrets of the Prophet which nobody knows except him?" Abu Darda further asked, "How does 'Abdullah (bin Mas'ud) recite the Sura starting with, 'By the Night as it conceals (the light)." (92.1) Then I recited before him:
'By the Night as it envelops: And by the Day as it appears in brightness; And by male and female.' (91.1-3) On this Abu Ad-Darda' said, "By Allah, the Prophet made me recite the Sura in this way while I was listening to him (reciting it)."

Should a Muslim reject this "Authentic" Hadith in favour of trusting the integrity of the Qur'an? I believe so, but there are those that refuse to drop anything from Sahih Al-Bukhari... and when you get people who believe that they have the exclusive truth, what hope is there for unity?

aburaees said:
I then started to hold an open mind concerning the Shia Ithna-Ashari school of thought, knowing that Islam teaches an eventual reconcilliation of all sects. I considered that for all the different sects to be united, each of them would have to give ground on something for it to work unless there was a universally accepted leader at the time like Al-Mahdi or 'Isaa.

I write this to appreciate your posts in this thread and other threads in general also,to be very useful,moderate and uniting the Muslims.Since, I understand ,you converted to Islam ,in a very short time you have grasped the core of Islam Mashaullah, may God bless you.Please hold fast on to your good , peaceful and rational thoughts.
Thanks

umm salamah said:
OoOOh this is a hot topic among many muslims. Our beloved prophet (peace & blessings be upon him) said that near the time of qiymaat (Judgement day) there will be 73 secs among the muslim ummah! And only one will be on the right path and the prophet s.a.w advice was to stick to the quran sharif & sunnah (what the prophet s.a.w said, did, approved of...etc) and only then will you be on the right path.
I appreciate your post.
To avoid confusion I would add that there are three sources of guidance provided to Muslims.
  1. Quran.The unique and supreme source of guidance which should be given preference to everything.
  2. Sunnah.Those acts which our Prophet,Khatamunnabiyyeen himself performed and set his followers in his life before his own eyes and that were to be performed very often,as Salat; ummah was performing it and continued to perform these acts,when the books of Hadiths were not even present.These are to be regarded the second source of guidance.
  3. Hadith.This contain useful historical and other infomation,and if it contadict Quran then it should be interpreted in such a way that these become in line with the Quran.If the contradiction cannot be removed then these hadith should be abondoned and Quran preferred.
The much confusion amongst Muslims is due to not making this distinction.
Thanks and God bless you.

As far as I know there are many different branches within shiaism itself. The followers of Imam Jafar As sadiq may Allah be pleased with him are considered as a legitimate school of Islam. There are branches of Shiaism which are not considered Muslim.

As far as I know there are many different branches within shiaism itself. The followers of Imam Jafar As sadiq may Allah be pleased with him are considered as a legitimate school of Islam. There are branches of Shiaism which are not considered Muslim.

Hi
Anybody who claims to be a Muslim, irrespective of his denomination, is a Muslim for all practical purposes and those who deny them this basic right are not rational, as it is only GodAllah who is to decide about the correctness of faith. There are so many verses in Quran which clarify this point. So it is not correct to say a Muslim that he is not Muslim. The Shias are Muslims no doubt, as Sunnis are Muslims. If one sees some wrong practice or wrong belief in them, effort should be made to make them understand and to rectify it by convincing them, that is always welcome.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam, working for Unity of Abrahamic faiths

Hi
Anybody who claims to be a Muslim, irrespective of his denomination, is a Muslim for all practical purposes and those who deny them this basic right are not rational, as it is only GodAllah who is to decide about the correctness of faith. There are so many verses in Quran which clarify this point. So it is not correct to say a Muslim that he is not Muslim. The Shias are Muslims no doubt, as Sunnis are Muslims. If one sees some wrong practice or wrong belief in them, effort should be made to make them understand and to rectify it by convincing them, that is always welcome.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam, working for Unity of Abrahamic faiths
If you could send me information on Ahmadis it would be appreciated as all I have heard is critiscm. So it would be great to find an Ahmadis point of view.

Assalamualaikum,

I feel that this topic is both absurd and inappropriate. Reason being, we are all Muslims. All Muslims are brothers and thus should revered each other is the highest respect possible.

Shia and Sunni are just a name - if we all believe in the same article of faith, then we should ignore the minor differences between us.

These difference are small and does not/should not affect our core believe. Thus, there should not be a problem for a Sunni or a Shia praying side by side nor will there be for a Sunni to pray in Shia masjid or vice versa.

In this current time where Muslims around the world are continuously being maimed and killed, we shouldn't waste our energy trying to confirm who's right or who's wrong.

We should be united and have a common goal in our life. Worship Allah and do as he commanded to the best of our ability and current knowledge. Seek knowledge and divert from satan influence to create a division within ourself.

Be it Sunni hadith or Shia hadith, we should approach it differently now. Not saying you're wrong or you're right, but it is more appropriate to say our opinion and their opinion. If we differed, then we should respect the other person's opinion as nobody knows who right or wrong except Allah.

C'mon Muslims, lets unite, shed the boundaries that keep us apart and exchange knowledge in the name of Allah.
Assallaam Aleykum,

Reading through this thread it appears to me that many have missed the point.

Islam is a Religion to be lived as opposed to a set of writings to bolster our own self importance and belief that we are members of the 'correct' belief.

There is a distinct lack of humility and compassion here, two qualities practiced by Prophet Mohammed (pbuh).

I may well, and often do, believe I am correct in my Religious enterpretation but I am only a mortal man and will only ever have limited vision and understanding of the World and our Creator Allah.

I chose to post this in answer to Brother Lights post as this post seems to make the most sense to me.

I have and still do pray in a Shia Mosque as do many others who are not Shia.

I would suggest that those who define themselves and their group by what they are not rather than what they are, should look at themselves and ask themselves some serious questions.

Peace

If you could send me information on Ahmadis it would be appreciated as all I have heard is critiscm. So it would be great to find an Ahmadis point of view.

Thanks for your interest.You may please access:Al Islam Online - Ahmadiyya Muslim Community,
the Official Website of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community.No membership is required. If you have a specific question, I may answer you.
Thanks again

Information about this issue

According to the Shiat the line of Mohammed (pbuh) through Ali and Hussein became extinct in 873CE when the last Shia Imam, Muhammad al-Mahdi, who had no brothers disappeared within days of inheriting the title at the age of four. The Shias refused, however, to accept that he had died, preferring to believe that he was merely "hidden" :) and would return. When after several centuries this failed to happen, spiritual power passed to the ulema, a council of twelve scholars who elected a supreme Imam. The best known modern example of the Shia supreme Imam is the late Ayyatollah Khomeni, whose portrait hangs in many Shia homes.

Sunnis do not have a formal clergy, just scholars and jurists, who may offer non-binding opinions:) . Shias believe that their supreme Imam is a fully spiritual guide, inheriting some of Muhammad's inspiration ("light") . Their imams are believed to be inerrant interpreters of law and tradition.

On a practical daily level, Shias have a different call to prayer, they perform wudu and salat differently including placing the forehead onto a piece of hardened clay from Karbala, not directly onto the prayer mat when prostrating. They also tend to combine prayers, sometimes worshipping three times per day instead of five. The Shias also have some different ahadith and prefer those narrated by Ali and Fatima to those related by other companions of the Prophet (pbuh). Because of her opposition to Ali, those narrated by Aisha count among the least favored. Shia Islam also permits muttah - fixed-term temporary marriage - which is now banned by the Sunnis.

I think as a real muslims we must follow Just two resources the Quraan and sunnah (ahadeth Saheha not Those weak),,Imams are Just scholars not prophets .

Thanks to all:)

On a practical daily level, Shias have a different call to prayer,
Practically the same except for two lines.
they perform wudu and salat differently
I've experienced this. It took me a moment or two to figure out how to follow.
including placing the forehead onto a piece of hardened clay from Karbala, not directly onto the prayer mat when prostrating.
Doesn't have to be from Karbala. Shias believe in prostrating on the ground/earth, and not on a carpet, hence the use of clay when carpets are commonly found in masjids.
Clay from Karbala is preferred because of the merits associated with it by the Prophet.
They also tend to combine prayers, sometimes worshipping three times per day instead of five.
Three times maybe, but still ALL FIVE prayers nevertheless. Sunnis are also permitted to do this, but Sunnis have traditionally put restrictions on the practice such as rain or travel.
The Shias also have some different ahadith and prefer those narrated by Ali and Fatima to those related by other companions of the Prophet (pbuh).
Three reasons directly from Sunni Hadith collections:
- Prophet said I leave with you two things, Book of Allah and members of my household (M4-1286-5920)
- Prophet said his wives are not members of his household (M4-1287-5923)
- Prophet said Ali, Fatima, Hasan and Hussain are members of his household (M4-1293-5955)
Because of her opposition to Ali, those narrated by Aisha count among the least favored.
See above.
Shia Islam also permits muttah - fixed-term temporary marriage - which is now banned by the Sunnis.
Because the Prophet himself never cancelled the practice. It was cancelled later by either Uthman or Umar.
I think as a real muslims we must follow Just two resources the Quraan and sunnah (ahadeth Saheha not Those weak),,Imams are Just scholars not prophets .

Thanks to all
Qur'an yes. Sunnah yes. But what is the Sunnah? Sahih Hadiths owe their classification to the "non-binding opinions" of scholars and jurists. Maybe we should come to an agreement on common ground, and turn our backs on uncommon ground instead of turning our backs on eachother.

Three reasons directly from Sunni Hadith collections:
- Prophet said I leave with you two things, Book of Allah and members of my household (M4-1286-5920)
- Prophet said his wives are not members of his household (M4-1287-5923)
- Prophet said Ali, Fatima, Hasan and Hussain are members of his household (M4-1293-5955)

:eek: From Where you get these informations?
I'm surprise ,,,really surprise

In Arabic we now""Ketab Allah wa snnat nabiah "
ÞÇá Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã íÞæá: ( ÊóÑóßúÊõ Ýöíßõãú ÃóãúÑóíúäö áóäú ÊóÖöáøõæÇ ãóÇ ÊóãóÓøóßúÊõãú ÈöåöãóÇ ßöÊóÇÈó Çááøóåö æóÓõäøóÉó äóÈöíøöåö ) [ ãæØà ÇáÅãÇã ãÇáß ] .

His household,,what do you mean by it,,Do you mean Your Imam Ja3far or Alkathem or any others Shiat Imams ???I like to read your answer

remeber please this
(({ æ ãÇ ßäÇ ãÚÐÈíä ÍÊì äÈÚË ÑÓæáÇ } æáã íÞá Çááå ÅãÇãÇ Ãæ ãÚÕæãÇ))

Ok I want to ask you did Imam Kamayny of Iran one of of prophet mohammad household,,?what do you think about him

Qur'an yes. Sunnah yes. But what is the Sunnah? Sahih Hadiths owe their classification to the "non-binding opinions" of scholars and jurists. Maybe we should come to an agreement on common ground, and turn our backs on uncommon ground instead of turning our backs on eachother.

;) I hope to reach to that point​

:eek: From Where you get these informations?
I'm surprise ,,,really surprise​

In Arabic we now""Ketab Allah wa snnat nabiah "
ÞÇá Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã íÞæá: ( ÊóÑóßúÊõ Ýöíßõãú ÃóãúÑóíúäö áóäú ÊóÖöáøõæÇ ãóÇ ÊóãóÓøóßúÊõãú ÈöåöãóÇ ßöÊóÇÈó Çááøóåö æóÓõäøóÉó äóÈöíøöåö ) [ ãæØà ÇáÅãÇã ãÇáß ] .

His household,,what do you mean by it,,Do you mean Your Imam Ja3far or Alkathem or any others Shiat Imams ???I like to read your answer​

remeber please this
(({ æ ãÇ ßäÇ ãÚÐÈíä ÍÊì äÈÚË ÑÓæáÇ } æáã íÞá Çááå ÅãÇãÇ Ãæ ãÚÕæãÇ))

Ok I want to ask you did Imam Kamayny of Iran one of of prophet mohammad household,,?what do you think about him​

;) I hope to reach to that point​

Ok Friend, I really don't know what you posted, those characters don't display properly on my browser.

Anyway, the Hadith I posted was from Sahih Muslim, which is considered indisputably authentic by most Sunnis (not western liberals):

Sahih Muslim said:
Book 031, Number 5920:
Yazid b. Hayyan reported, I went along with Husain b. Sabra and 'Umar b. Muslim to Zaid b. Arqam and, as we sat by his side, Husain said to him: Zaid. you have been able to acquire a great virtue that you saw Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) listened to his talk, fought by his side in (different) battles, offered prayer behind me. Zaid, you have in fact earned a great virtue. Zaid, narrate to us what you heard from Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). He said: I have grown old and have almost spent my age and I have forgotten some of the things which I remembered in connection with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him), so accept whatever I narrate to you, and which I do not narrate do not compel me to do that. He then said: One day Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) stood up to deliver sermon at a watering place known as Khumm situated between Mecca and Medina. He praised Allah, extolled Him and delivered the sermon and. exhorted (us) and said: Now to our purpose. O people, I am a human being. I am about to receive a messenger (the angel of death) from my Lord and I, in response to Allah's call, (would bid good-bye to you), but I am leaving among you two weighty things: the one being the Book of Allah in which there is right guidance and light, so hold fast to the Book of Allah and adhere to it. He exhorted (us) (to hold fast) to the Book of Allah and then said: The second are the members of my household I remind you (of your duties) to the members of my family. He (Husain) said to Zaid: Who are the members of his household? Aren't his wives the members of his family? Thereupon he said: His wives are the members of his family (but here) the members of his family are those for whom acceptance of Zakat is forbidden. And he said: Who are they? Thereupon he said: 'Ali and the offspring of 'Ali, 'Aqil and the offspring of 'Aqil and the offspring of Ja'far and the offspring of 'Abbas. Husain said: These are those for whom the acceptance of Zakat is forbidden. Zaid said: Yes.

Now the important thing is, Friend, that most Sunnis don't know anything about Shias except for the false information that has been spread about them... I suggest that your ideas about Khomeini fall into the same category.

If you would care to take the time to find out the real deal about the Shias, you will find that the majority of them don't just invent their practices out of thin air, they can support their practices using Sunni Hadiths.

He (Husain) said to Zaid: Who are the members of his household? Aren't his wives the members of his family? Thereupon he said: His wives are the members of his family (but here) the members of his family are those for whom acceptance of Zakat is forbidden. And he said: Who are they? Thereupon he said: 'Ali and the offspring of 'Ali, 'Aqil and the offspring of 'Aqil and the offspring of Ja'far and the offspring of 'Abbas. Husain said: These are those for whom the acceptance of Zakat is forbidden. Zaid said: Yes.

Ok :)

Firstly we should agree that this is a book not Quraan (Kalam Allah),,,and the content here was an explanation of hadith of Mohammad peace upon him,,done by two persons not a prophet explanation.

I think abo lahab was one of his household does that mean he was a good person,,,it is not acceptable to follow any human which does not sent by Allah. we should respect them but not follow ,any resources out of Al Quraan And authentic Hadith must be not followed .

I hope to answer my previous question about new and old Imams of Sheiat?????Do you think they are infallible??Should you follow them as prophets?

I hope Allah guide all to the truth :)

Back