What Happened To Boldness?

I agree somewhat Q. Actions say alot.

There is one problem. I can do all the good I want to do for anyone in the world I can feed them, tend there wounds, build them houses, anything I want but in the end if I haven't shared Jesus and the love God has for us then he still ends up dead.

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear Quahom1,

Can we conclude together the importance of balance between actions and words? Can we also conclude together by the verse in Acts that regarding this "Boldness" that the Apostles desired, it was for them to "speak" in boldness? I feel that to be "Bold" in action without words or "Bold" in words without action would be hypocritical wouldn't it? Also, many people will not know us by actions or have the opportunity to see our actions. Therefore, first impressions may only be "words". The message Jesus shared about the Sower and the Seeds in Matthew 13 involved "words". He concluded the Parable saying, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear...

Yes, we can. However bear in mind that the boldness spoken of in acts was that of one on trial, and who was encouraged to not be faint of heart for the Lord, or fear for one's own well being. Not to recant one's faith under pressure.

If we are to "preach" the Gospel of Jesus, then I believe under everyday circumstances we should act just like Jesus acted. That is, quietly and confidently with the "boldness" of conviction. Preaching is not restricted to words. In fact words only accent the most important part of preaching. And that is to live what one believes, and be the light on the hill for all to see by.

Thats all. ;)

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Yes, we can. However bear in mind that the boldness spoken of in acts was that of one on trial, and who was encouraged to not be faint of heart for the Lord, or fear for one's own well being. Not to recant one's faith under pressure.

If we are to "preach" the Gospel of Jesus, then I believe under everyday circumstances we should act just like Jesus acted. That is, quietly and confidently with the "boldness" of conviction. Preaching is not restricted to words. In fact words only accent the most important part of preaching. And that is to live what one believes, and be the light on the hill for all to see by.

Thats all. ;)

v/r

Q
Q, I really like the position you take on this thread.

I'm not sure how to say it but some of you insist that faith comes alone through hearing. Maybe it works this way for some people but not for everyone. Many of us grow up in church and never believe because it makes no sense. This is not for lack of hearing but for lack of logic in the doctrine.

I apologize for this emphasis on whether or not the doctrine makes sense but I don't know how else to make my point. I am sure it makes sense to you but it doesn't make sense to me. I am speaking only for myself here. My point is that faith does not necessarily come from hearing. I don't know if I'm right but sometimes I think people who are so "bold" in speaking to strangers about their beliefs are very weak in their trust in the Holy Spirit.

I personally am very tuned in to the message of the Spirit. I will accept its message before I will accept the word of any human no matter how boldly or loudly or appropriately it is spoken. I think there are very many people like this.

A word on the value of seeing as opposed to hearing. Based on my personal experience, I had basically written off Christians as being about the worst kind of people walking the earth. Then I encountered people who accepted me as I was, along with all my "heretical" beliefs. Those Christians put a new face on Christianity for me. Now if their doctrine would also make sense to me (which it doesn't) then I would convert to their church.

I found out that they were accepting, not because they said so, but because they lived it. Every day. As Jesus said, like a city that is set on a hill, their light could not be hid.

Dear Quahom1 and RubySera_Martin,

I clearly understand the importance of external things as setting examples to others in our walk with the Lord. I understand the power behind action with words. Again, the point I am trying to make in this thread is the growing "silence" from Christians to "verbally share" Jesus.

Since Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God (Rom 10:17)

How are unbelievers suppose to believe and be saved by examples of us walking our faith only?

"How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?"

Romans 10:14

How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace...

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear Quahom1 and RubySera_Martin,

I clearly understand the importance of external things as setting examples to others in our walk with the Lord. I understand the power behind action with words. Again, the point I am trying to make in this thread is the growing "silence" from Christians to "verbally share" Jesus.

Since Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God (Rom 10:17)

How are unbelievers suppose to believe and be saved by examples of us walking our faith only?

"How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?"

Romans 10:14

How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace...

I think I understand your concern. I am not convinced that your concern is justified. Like Q said, there is one Christian for every two non-Christians. The chances that a non-Christian will pass the whole of life without any exposure whatsoever to the Bible are very slim.

Compare this with the ratio of the time Jesus and Paul were speaking and writing. It logically follows that their messages must be modified to fit the times.

If I am not mistaken, there are more people converting to Christianity these days than there have ever been. Just look at the mega-churches sprouting up all over the place, with their global out-reach missions. Many of these missions maintain both a website and broadcasts via TV and radio, plus Christian literature.

"Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door. "

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think there are really very few people in the world who hve not heard of Jesus Christ and Christianity. I am often kind of perplexed by the idea that there are so many people out there dying without hearing about Christ. :confused:

When Christianity = Love then they will know that we are Christians by our Love.

Our actions are speaking much louder than our words.

RubySera_Martin said:
I personally am very tuned in to the message of the Spirit. I will accept its message before I will accept the word of any human no matter how boldly or loudly or appropriately it is spoken. I think there are very many people like this.

Ruby,

I'm curious as to how you tune into the Spirit's message exactly. Is it through your conscience? Through reading? Through feelings? Through visions or dreams? Do you hear a still, small voice? I've very interested in any insight you might have.

Dondi

RubySera_Martin said:
I think I understand your concern. I am not convinced that your concern is justified. Like Q said, there is one Christian for every two non-Christians. The chances that a non-Christian will pass the whole of life without any exposure whatsoever to the Bible are very slim.

Compare this with the ratio of the time Jesus and Paul were speaking and writing. It logically follows that their messages must be modified to fit the times.

If I am not mistaken, there are more people converting to Christianity these days than there have ever been. Just look at the mega-churches sprouting up all over the place, with their global out-reach missions. Many of these missions maintain both a website and broadcasts via TV and radio, plus Christian literature.

Simultaneous postings. High-five. :D

Dear All,

Again, this was my initial question.

Question: Do we as Christians speak with boldness and confidence about Jesus and share God's word or are we reserved and more concerned about how people perceive us?

Dondi said:
Ruby,

I'm curious as to how you tune into the Spirit's message exactly. Is it through your conscience? Through reading? Through feelings? Through visions or dreams? Do you hear a still, small voice? I've very interested in any insight you might have.

Dondi
Dondi, I would say all of the above. You might get some insight on this thread in Liberal Christianity: Alternative Christian Awakenings.

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear All,

Again, this was my initial question.

Question: Do we as Christians speak with boldness and confidence about Jesus and share God's word or are we reserved and more concerned about how people perceive us?

A: Both.

How can it be a good thing that these days people are likely to respond to an act of quiet compassion with "You're a Christian? You sure don't act like one."

lunamoth said:
A: Both.

How can it be a good thing that these days people are likely to respond to an act of quiet compassion with "You're a Christian? You sure don't act like one."
Dear lunamoth,

I think you made a good point here. It seems that our enemy (Satan) and his foes focus on our "external faults". They tend to put our "actions" on the world spotlight and I agree that overall it doesn't "look" good. Those of us who "walk in the Spirit" must show His presence in us by our words and by our deeds. Thier MUST be unity in word and action to be valid to those outside of His body.

Dor said:
I agree somewhat Q. Actions say alot.

There is one problem. I can do all the good I want to do for anyone in the world I can feed them, tend there wounds, build them houses, anything I want but in the end if I haven't shared Jesus and the love God has for us then he still ends up dead.

I would leave that up to Jesus, to determine whether one receives eternal life or not. I one has the light of Christ within them, and another wants what ever that special thing about one has, there will be questions and opportunity to share the Good News of God. What God says is, be ready when the times comes, to bear witness for Him.

You know why evangelists feel frustrated so often? They try too hard and force the issue. They want things to happen on their timeline, instead of on
God's.

It really bothers me when I see people so determined to share about God that they ignore the needs (yes needs), of the audience they are trying to win over, which does the opposite of what the good intentioned wanted. It pushes them away.

You know, Jesus knocks. We use a blasted bull horn and 10 pound Holy Book.

v/r

Q

hi guys.

I would just like to say that I have been bold my whole life in declaring Christ as my Lord.. I walk around asking random people that I meet if they are born again Spirit filled Christians.. if I get looks then I pray that God use me to sow the seeds.. btw I will pray this in the morning.. God however reaps the harvest... if said person declares their faith.. then Amen I found a brother or sister to share testimonies with. I face persecution daily...Christ faced persecution.. Those persecutions are a blessing..

btw i firmly believe that when you are sharing Truth with someone... we as totally corrupted evil and wicked beings cannot comprehend Truth without the Spirit of God. So when sharing Truth with someone.. who is actually sharing it? Our wicked old man self... or the new self that Christ indwells with? Think about it... :)

Hi Faithfulservant. Nice to see you around.:)

We all have different approaches, but somehow I know that we are all working in the same Spirit.

InPeace,
InLove

Quahom1 said:
It really bothers me when I see people so determined to share about God that they ignore the needs (yes needs), of the audience they are trying to win over, which does the opposite of what the good intentioned wanted. It pushes them away.

Whats amazing is that when they are saved... God will meet all those needs so why not help the people out by delivering the message. :D

Another thought I had on this subject... how do we know when and how God uses us.. Have you ever had the perfect scripture come to mind at the perfect time...? Do you think thats our perfect memory? I think the credit goes to the Spirit. Same concept goes to sharing the gospel.. are we perhaps allowing the enemy to deceive us by convincing us that we should hold our tongue and try to be sensitive to needs? The enemy trembles at the name of Jesus...and if the seed didnt take hold at the time of sowing.. who's to say it wont take hold a year from now when the ground is more fertile.

Isaiah 55:11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

1Co 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Now this is food for thought..

Ezekiel 3:18 When I say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die,' and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life, that same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand.

Ezekiel 3:20 Again, when a righteous man turns from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and I lay a stumbling block before him, he shall die; because you did not give him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he has done shall not be remembered; but his blood I will require at your hand.

ouch twice in one chapter.. we know that this means He is stressing something when he repeats it...

Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at the watchman's hand

Ezekiel 33:8 When I say to the wicked, 'O wicked man, you shall surely die!' and you do not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand.

Again twice in one chapter... and even more so 4 times in one book and a book that is prophetic..

I personally take the bible literally so it might not hold true for all.

InLove said:
Hi Faithfulservant. Nice to see you around.:)

We all have different approaches, but somehow I know that we are all working in the same Spirit.

InPeace,
InLove

Yes God is good and things would be terribly boring if He made us all the same :)

I said:
I seem to recall a passage with Mary Magdalene where Jesus effectively tells Peter to STFU. Or, as in the common translation, "Get behind thee Satan".

The impression given that there's a time and circumstance where talk matters, and other times where the self-belief of the talker is just plain annoying to Jesus.

2c.

Brian were you talking about this?

Matthew 16:21 From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day. 22 Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, "Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!" 23 But He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men."

I was concerned that the scriptures would be taken out of context unintentionally.

Not being a professed Christian, I don't really feel like I have anything too pertinent to add to this discussion as far as my personal sentiment goes. However, I am compelled to contribute an observation.

I don't know exactly what is meant when "boldness" is used here. But, I can say that there is no question in my mind that in America, the average person that I have met which does not claim to be a Christian usually presents one of two somewhat overlapping complaints that they cannot get past:

1) They are taken back by the moral values of Christianity.

2) They are taken back by the zeal of those that have preached to them at some point.

Americans that are looking into religion don't want anything crammed down their throat, and I am only being totally honest when I say that MANY PEOPLE turn away from interest in Christianity because they are inflamed at how readily some Christians feel compelled to tell you...at that, to vehemently insist...that they have the way of God, and that its the only Way. This really makes some people pretty angry. In an America that becomes more and more relativistic, and which is more jaded to religion, every year, this particular trait in some Christians will contribute to losing a lot of followers. It's not that people necessarily reject the Christian doctrine, they are simply made to feel more and more cautious and skeptical in today's world. Someone that bounds into their life proclaiming the glory of God ends up getting filed away in the minds of many along with the guy that shows up on Food Dehydrater infomercials yelling," You have to buy this product! It's the greatest thing ever made! You need to get this, and you need to do it now because time is running out!" Unfortunately, to most Americans, this kind of trumpeting is simply a hoax designed to fool them. In that respect, Christians do need to change with the times, like everyone else. That may mean not being too brazen about religion.

Note, however, that I am not nearly accusing all Christians of these things... just some. What I have to say is based much more on people I've talked to that aren't Christians, or people that come from Christian families yet have grown up to question whether or not they really want to call themselves Christians.

Back