Is Jesus' Resurrection a Fact-Event?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm with the gang who see the crucifixion-resurrection story as being profoundly meaningful for what it illustrates regarding the power of the Spirit to transform/transcend in the face of the geatest of human suffering and limitation regardless of whether events unfolded in a fully literal sense, I will add that there are similar beliefs among Tibetan Buddhists. That is among some sects they believe rare highly advanced practitioners upon death remain in bodily form for a few days while still absorbed in meditative state then their bodies (minus finger and toe nails whatever that's about) disappear into a "rainbow light" body. There have been a number of anecdotal reports published of this but nobody's filmed a home video so there ya go;) have a good one, earl

Hi Ruby -
A rhetorical question ...

Can love be a Fact-Event?

Pax,

Thomas

I skimmed this thread just now and hope to come back later when I have more time to address jiii's questions if no one else beats me to the task.

Thomas, I guess rhetorical questions doesn't need answers;)

Perhaps ... but it might be worth thinking about, at least.

Actually, resurrection from death was a popular theme among the deity myths of ancient middle eastern cultures, notably Atra-hasis among the Caananites, and Osiris among the Egyptians.

The Jesus story is not unique in this regard, just a bit more contemporary than the way-back myths.

flow....:)

jiii said:
All right, maybe it is the term 'fact-event' that I'm getting lost on?

Jiii, thank you for pointing out the weaknesses of how I expressed my question. I am sorry this caused you so much distress.

By fact-event I mean something that literally took place, something that could be recorded by a video camera or some other means of reproduction. That is the definition that fundamentalist used and it seemed decent to me.

If you don't believe in the literal resurrection of Jesus' body then I guess you don't consider it a fact-event.

I will try to clarify my question.

1. I expected people to read the entire post in order to know what the title means. The title may not be all that relevant but I can't post anything without a title.
  2. The argument I am making depends in part on the Matt. passage I quote at the beginning of the post.
  3. The fundamentalist with whom I wanted to discuss the issue claimed that the Matt. passage should not be taken literally; that it is fantasy or embellishment.
  4. She insists that Jesus' resurrection happened as a fact-event that could have been recorded by a webcam or video camera.
My Argument:

• If the Matthew passage is not to be taken as a fact-event, why would one take the resurrection as a fact-event?
  • We know that playrights and authors of that time normally embellished their stories with miracles and resurrections. I provide one example in which the author (Lucian) openly confesses it.
QUESTION:

• If Lucian embellished his story, how do we know that the NT writers did not embellish their stories about Jesus?
  • I understand the Christian faith depends on the physical resurrection of Jesus' body for salvation.
  • If the NT writers embellished their stories about Jesus so that the miracles, the virgin birth, and the resurrection did not happen as fact-events, what happens to the Christian faith?
Is that clearer?

originally posted by Thomas:

Hi Ruby -
A rhetorical question ...

Can love be a Fact-Event?

Pax,

Thomas
RubySera_Martin said:
Thomas, I guess rhetorical questions doesn't need answers;)
originally posted by Thomas:

Perhaps ... but it might be worth thinking about, at least.
Okay, I've thought about it. Here is what I think:
  1. As explained to Jiii, I am using the term "fact-event" as something that can be captured by video camera.
  2. The feeling emotional part of love can probably not be photographed. The only part of love that can be photographed is things like happy expressions on faces or other behavioural evidence.
  3. From that perspective, love is not a fact-event.
I suspect jiii is not the only person who did not understand my question correctly. As jiii pointed out, it was not stated too clearly. I restated it in Post 26. I hope it's better now.

Ruby

Ummmm, Ruby,

I dislike pointing this out, but...practically all images rendered by recording devices these days may be digitally altered in some way, automatically making them into "not a fact-event". In other words we may believe that what we see as a recorded image was an image of reality captured and preserved in that moment of time, when actually it may have been altered in some way and hence is not a recording of a moment of reality but an altered construct of some kind.

Lots of lawsuits flying around in the media about all this these days. The new technologies allow many exceptions to reality now.

flow....;)

Ruby said:
If the NT writers embellished their stories about Jesus so that the miracles, the virgin birth, and the resurrection did not happen as fact-events, what happens to the Christian faith?

Well, I don't think it necessarily collapses. At one point in its evolution the Gospel of Mark ended with Jesus still in the tomb. The Christ that Paul was talking about, a cosmic Christ whose death was essentially a rite of initiation, doesn't really need to be physically resurrected, it seems to me. Sure he's glorified and transfigured and is now high priest of the Cosmic Order/ defense attorney before, and conduit to God, Supreme Logos...whatever. None of that really requires a physical resurrection back into a human body.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, I screwed up on the genealogy thing and got caught. It's Jacob and Eli (Heli). It was late and I didn't bother to look it up before wrote it down. Sorry, my bad.

Chris

China Cat Sunflower said:
That's it! The Gospels were photoshopped. Wow, you know, I knew it all along.

Chris

Is that what flow is talking about? Sorry, Flow, but I really don't know if you are referring to my infinity sign turned into a fish or if you are talking about photographing a non-event.

I'm getting the feeling that this question I tried to post wasn't all that bright an idea. Or not terribly "hot." On the other hand, the way Dor responded I think there are circles in which it is hot. I just couldn't face the fire of posting it in the Christianity forum. I did get new insights on Christ, though, so it was worth posting just for that. Thanks, folks.

Ruby

PS. Chris, it just hit me. Your take on how Paul sees Christ is a totally new idea to me. I did not know the Bible supported the idea of a Cosmic Christ but I can see it now. Thanks!

Hi, Peace All--

RubySera_Martin said:
I'm getting the feeling that this question I tried to post wasn't all that bright an idea. Or not terribly "hot." On the other hand, the way Dor responded I think there are circles in which it is hot. I just couldn't face the fire of posting it in the Christianity forum. I did get new insights on Christ, though, so it was worth posting just for that. Thanks, folks.

Ruby, it's a great subject for discussion. Threads just take their turns, traveling through different light at times. I, for one, have found it very enlightening. I have some thoughts I have been wanting to express, but I am just taking some time to consider how to present them.

InPeace,
InLove

Hi Ruby.

If Lucian embellished his story, how do we know that the NT writers did not embellish their stories about Jesus?

I think the NT writers DID embellish their stories about Jesus. Each gospel writer used elements that would appeal to the main readers of their version of the gospel. Each writer also seems to have put their own personal spin on events. Paul taylored his words to appeal to those he was preaching to (Jew, Samaritan or pagan). Paul even quoted non-Jewish sources to make a point.

I understand the Christian faith depends on the physical resurrection of Jesus' body for salvation.

The physical resurrection of Jesus is part of orthodoxy, yes. What the resurrection means differs between Eastern Orthodoxy, Catholicism and the Protestant denominations.

I don't view Jesus resurrection as necessary for "salvation" in the substitutionary atonement sort-of way. I view Jesus resurrection as something pointing to higher truth(s): that this life is not all their is; that God has a purpose for the universe and the life within it. There's a lot more I could ramble on about here, but I'm going to resist the urge. ;)

If the NT writers embellished their stories about Jesus so that the miracles, the virgin birth, and the resurrection did not happen as fact-events, what happens to the Christian faith?

Reading the story of Jesus as complete allegory and metaphor would certainly change the Christian faith. In some ways I think it would be impoverished. In some ways I think it would be enriched.

I do both. There are some things in scripture that are miraculous, that I am willing to believe were "fact-events" because I think they point to an ontological truth. The resurrection is the main one of these. But I also look at the resurrection as metaphor and as allegory and as symbol.

Nice thread btw. I find your questions thought provoking. :)

Thanks, InLove and neosnoia. InLove, you have perked my interest regarding the thoughts that are developing in your mind. Neosnoia, your understanding of the resurrection seems far removed from the views of the fundamentalist I was referring to. InLove, yes, I learned much from this thread, too.

Ruby

RubySera_Martin said:
Is that what flow is talking about? Sorry, Flow, but I really don't know if you are referring to my infinity sign turned into a fish or if you are talking about photographing a non-event.

Ruby

PS. Chris, it just hit me. Your take on how Paul sees Christ is a totally new idea to me. I did not know the Bible supported the idea of a Cosmic Christ but I can see it now. Thanks!

Hi Ruby:

I was only commenting upon your statement concerning a recorded image as your definition of a "fact-event".

China Cat:

How we got from that to the gospels being "photoshopped" is beyond me...
but really funny.

I would agree that Paul's Jesus experience was a sort of cosmic event, but then maybe it was necessary for it to happen that way to impress the naturally-born cynic Paul at that time in his life. We all know what he went on to do afterwards.

flow....:)

flowperson said:
Hi Ruby:

I was only commenting upon your statement concerning a recorded image as your definition of a "fact-event".

I think we're talking past each other here or something. You are starting with a recorded image. I started with something that happened in the realm or reality that can be recorded by webcam or video camera.

I personally am not familiar with these technologies. The idea comes from the person to whom this post was originally written on another board. I think, though, that an event that existed entirely on the level of imagination or spiritual conviction, etc. could not be recorded by a camera of any sort.

I think what you are talking about is images that are created via digital technologies. I agree that a person could probably create an image to portray the resurrection and/or spiritual convictions. In fact, this has been done for many centuries with the technology available to the artist. This might be the inner wall of a cave, primitive paper, animal skins, TV, whatever.

Just to clarify, I have never read of paintings of the resurrection on the walls of caves but other religious events have been recorded like this.

However, this argument comes at it from the opposite direction and argues that events have to take place on a certain level of reality in order to be recorded via webcam. This person believes the resurrection took place on that level of reality.

This same person believes Matt. 27:50-53 did NOT take place on that level of reality. In other words,

50 Then Jesus cried again with a loud voice and breathed his last.r 51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. The earth shook, and the rocks were split. 52 The tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised. 53 After his resurrection they came out of the tombs and entered the holy city and appeared to many.
did not happen. The curtain in the temple was not torn from top to bottom when Jesus died nor was there an earthquake, and the bodies of dead saints did not rise and enter the holy city and appear to many when Jesus rose from the dead.

My question is: Why would any Christian, fundamentalist or otherwise, accept the bodily resurrection of Jesus as a fact-event but not this series of incidents?

Incidentally, she did not consider this question worthy of an answer. I wonder if perhaps she saw that it makes no sense to believe as she does but her faith is too insecure to admit it.

The reason I am not asking her is that she got promoted to assistent manager and I got banned from the board right at the time when I pushed this question. These events may not be related but the circumstantial evidence is considerably high. Anyway, I then got the idea to post my question here.

Ruby-

I had the feeling that I was still missing the point of your post, so I decided would leave it alone and just follow the thread. However, you have made it perfectly clear with your last post.

My question is: Why would any Christian, fundamentalist or otherwise, accept the bodily resurrection of Jesus as a fact-event but not this series of incidents?

Finally, I get it!:D

I can see why you might've groaned at my original post...it was certainly a little bit off the mark as far as your essential question. I would, however, try to reference some of what I wrote when I say that I think that all literalism is based upon an irrational trust toward ideas. To a certain extent, this might perhaps be chocked up to an affectatious attempt to "materialize" the elusive "faith" that is talked about in many religions. In a way, I see many cases of literal interpretation of biblical texts as a confusion in which one believes that they must literally "wear" their faith by believing ideas which are ordinarily considered absurd. Kind of a way to prove that their faith is so great that they can use it to believe amazingly unlikely things that don't even need believing in to nonetheless be very meaningful.

Specifically, in terms of your question, since what people choose to literally interpret sometimes is already absurd from a rational standpoint, there's really no limit to just how irrationally someone may believe so-and-so ideas...at that point, even uniformity of belief is unnecessary.

I hope I at least addressed your question this time. Again, sorry about the misunderstanding.;)

-jiii

jiii said:
Ruby-

I had the feeling that I was still missing the point of your post, so I decided would leave it alone and just follow the thread. However, you have made it perfectly clear with your last post.

Finally, I get it!:D

Jiii, yes, I think we are finally talking about the same thing. I've been asking myself why I keep insisting on posting, why I don't just turn my interests elsewhere. I felt somewhat embarrassed at my long epistle in response to flow. But if that is what it took for me to clarify what I mean, it was worth it.

I think this is so important to me because I was raised with the threat that if we don't believe these things as factual history then we can expect to go to hell. I've tried time and again to just throw Christianity out the window. But it never works. One time I thought I was successful. But it was Dec. Everybody had all their beautiful Christmas decorations out in front lawns, around front doors, along eaves troughs--you get the picture. A regular snowy Christmas in Ontario.

WHAT DO I DO ABOUT THIS? I wanted with all my heart to be part of this. But HOW? Perhaps the Jesus story is Christianity's sacred myth. I had learned about sacred myths in religious studies courses. Eventually I had opportunity to read Tom Harpur's The Pagan Christ. Harpur had traced mythology to show that Christianity's Jesus (plus family) came out of Egyptian and other mythology.

There was one bug in the soup. A Christian prof whom I respected attacked Harpur's scholarship so severely that I had no idea how to know what was true or false. I contacted Harpur and eventually decided there must be some truth to his message. Yet if it was true, why didn't the religious studies profs ever suggest this? Needless to say, that Christian prof lost quite a bit of the respect I had previously felt for him.

And now I run into this wonderfully brilliant young woman who has so much education in biblical languages and literature. Not only that, but the beliefs she continually professes bold and loud and clear and uncompromisingly were identical to how I had been raised. Except for her statement that this Matt. passage was an embellishment.

I had wanted to discuss this with my mother many years ago when I first encountered the inconsistency. But she never liked my questions. It was in the Bible so it had to be true. That was her line of reasoning. Things that did not make sense were ascribed to the mystery and incomprehensibility of God and our utter depravity and inability to ever understand God.

That was the message I got. But it seemed no harm could occur if we just addressed the simple questions I was asking. It wasn't like I was challenging the Christian faith as a whole. I just wanted to understand the things I was told to believe. That seemed like a very reasonable request.

I guess with so much personal interest invested in the topic it makes sense that I could not drop it just because no one really understood what I was trying to say. I read your last post a number of times, and also went back and read your earlier posts on this thread.

I don't fully understand what you are saying. I will go through your last post and try to express my questions. Hopefully I can articulate them clearly. If not, maybe we can work through them. I now know that you are not a fundamentalist Christian, as I had first thought.

I can see why you might've groaned at my original post...it was certainly a little bit off the mark as far as your essential question. I would, however, try to reference some of what I wrote when I say that I think that all literalism is based upon an irrational trust toward ideas.

Are you saying here that some people will believe something just because it sounds like a mysterious idea??? If that is the case, I can see why I've been bumping heads with people all my life. To me, it simply makes no sense to believe ideas that make no sense. (Excuse the pun. I just don't know how better to explain it.)

If the preacher says this is the way the world works because the Bible says this or that, and I take a good hard look to find this phenonemon in "the world" and cannot ever find it, then I am more likely to trust my perceptions than the preacher and the Bible. Or my mother.

The biggest mistake the church made so far as my faith is concerned is the provable fictions it preached about "the world." If it could not correctly perceive what "the world" was like, perhaps it could not correctly perceive the meaning of the Bible either. Of course, it's not that simple. UGH!!! How often has that phrase been used to shut me up.

IF ONLY EXPLANATIONS HAD BEEN FORTH-COMING. Something, anything, to prove why I should believe this stuff, WHY or in WHAT WAY it was not "as simple as that." There never were. I would be condemned for my unbelief before they provided honest explanations.
To a certain extent, this might perhaps be chocked up to an affectatious attempt to "materialize" the elusive "faith" that is talked about in many religions.

This is what I think you are saying: Religions talk about faith. Faith is elusive. To make the faith more real they trust irrational ideas so they have "hooks" upon which to hang their faith. It also provides them with measurable evidence regarding "correct belief"--both their own and that of co-religionists.

In a way, I see many cases of literal interpretation of biblical texts as a confusion in which one believes that they must literally "wear" their faith by believing ideas which are ordinarily considered absurd. Kind of a way to prove that their faith is so great that they can use it to believe amazingly unlikely things that don't even need believing in to nonetheless be very meaningful.

Here I think you are saying: Religion must be meaningful. Great faith is rewarded. People need something by which to measure how great their faith is. So they invent irrational ideas that must be believed. In being able to say "I believe" to these ideas they are proving that their faith is great enough to be acceptable to God.

For this reason a person like me who questions everything is a very serious threat because I attack the very foundation (though unconscious to them and unknown to me) on which their entire belief system rests.

Whew! this seems like some precariously-built house of cards. Why don't they look deeper? I mean, this does not seem like respectable human thinking. Hopefully, I misunderstand what you are saying.

Specifically, in terms of your question, since what people choose to literally interpret sometimes is already absurd from a rational standpoint, there's really no limit to just how irrationally someone may believe so-and-so ideas...at that point, even uniformity of belief is unnecessary.

May I ask by what authority you say this stuff? What studies have been done to prove it? It sounds totally ridiculous.

I hope I at least addressed your question this time. Again, sorry about the misunderstanding.;)

-jiii

Yes, you have. Thank you. I look forward to further discussion on this--if nothing else, to prove that I am totally mistaken in what I understand you are saying.

Ruby

Hi, Peace—

Thanks for your patience, Ruby. I may fumble this a little, but I’ll give it a shot.

neosnoia said:
Reading the story of Jesus as complete allegory and metaphor would certainly change the Christian faith. In some ways I think it would be impoverished. In some ways I think it would be enriched.

I do both. There are some things in scripture that are miraculous, that I am willing to believe were "fact-events" because I think they point to an ontological truth. The resurrection is the main one of these. But I also look at the resurrection as metaphor and as allegory and as symbol.

I do too. This is what I mean when I say that the Bible is "layered" and “transcendental”.

taijasi said:
This is why I think the Liberal Christianity forum is so helpful. It explores such questions as, if Christ's bodily appearance after death was nothing new, and not the point of His coming, then what was it? And in answering that, I think we finally, truly begin to get at the heart of the matter. Those who say, and have always said, that Christ came to teach us Love, and how to Love, would seem to "on to" something.

But to become sidetracked on the question as to just exactly what happened at the death of Jesus, in the days afterward, and in the accounts of his appearance to his followers ... is to miss the point almost entirely. The real value of the accounts is in their agreement that he was an advanced enough individual that he could and did reappear, and demonstrate his Mastery over the grave. This does emphasize a distinction, since the rest of us are continuing to strive toward this Mastery, but have not yet accomplished or attained it. This, to me, is an important and helpful distinction. But only if we find encouragement and empowerment in the knowledge that we too, shall attain.

The terminology above may not be orthodox, but the central idea expressed is the essence of the Christian message--Christ is victorious over sin and death for our sake.

John 3:13-15 records Jesus as saying:

"No one has ever gone up into the presence of God except the One who came down from that Presence, the Son of Man. In the same way that Moses lifted the serpent in the desert so people could have something to see and then believe, it is necessary for the Son of Man to be lifted up—and everyone who looks up to him, trusting and expectant, will gain a real life, eternal life. (MSG)

I see this as confirmation that the Spirit of God’s Love will always be visible to guide us. One way this happens is through divine literature.

Is this literature embellished? I tend to like the word “interpreted”. For example:

John 12:32 quotes Him again on the subject: “But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself."

The author goes on to interpret in the next verse: “He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die.”(NIV)

I trust that the beloved author (that’s another subject) interpreted his Lord’s Word correctly. To be “lifted up” meant to be raised up on a Roman cross for everyone to see. But I interpret also, and to me this phrase also points to the resurrection as well as the ascension. According to Biblical literature, no one witnessed the actual resurrection process, only eleven people witnessed His ascension into Heaven, but the Life-Force was so strong around Him that graves opened up and people came out. The grave could not hold them. In literary terms, this would be called “foreshadowing”. And here we are now, centuries later—part of a modern, interfaith group discussion about it.

No, I don’t believe it was a “fact-event” in the sense that anyone could have made a videotape of it then without the technology. Today we have the might possess the technology to do it, but I don’t think we would foresee the resurrection coming anymore than the people in the Biblical account did. Who knows—some things could be caught on cell phone cameras or something. But these events did not take place since we have had this technology. So I suppose that in a literal scientific view, it cannot be proven. Yet, anyway. It’s just that we are still missing some important components to the formula. Nevertheless—“ask and ye shall receive”.

I visited an interesting website today (thanks, neosnoia) and found this from a review of Francis Collins’s book, The Language of God: “Faith in God and faith in science can be harmonious — not separately but together, combined into one worldview. For Collins, science does not conflict with the Bible, science enhances it.”

In my view, “I Am” would embrace literature, music, dance. nature, math, law, physics, biology, sociology, geography, and a gazillion other things, including science in general.

I hope that I have somehow addressed the original questions.:)

InPeace,
InLove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back