What defines a Christian?

kenod said:
I am sorry, Ruby, that you feel you have been hurt by fundamentalism ... just checking, but are you sure it was fundamentalism or some particular fundamentalists?
I said that hundreds or thousands of people in North America have been severely hurt by fundamentalism.

It is disrespectful of all these people's feelings for you to suggest that this hurt is imagined or that it was caused by something other than fundamentalism. In addition, this is not the topic of this thread.

You also mention your "higher than average education." What has that got to do with anything? Quite a number of Christians have the highest education available and so do quite a number of others. Education does not define a Christian, fundamentalist or otherwise.

cavalier said:
What is there in this that would differentiate it from some other religions?
Namaste Cav, no worries mate, the comment was a general one sparked by yours not in retaliation to... Absolutely awesome question....I'd love to answer that I have no need to differentiate! But there are differences, I prefer to focus on similarities.

I call myself a Christian because my mentor is Jesus, and his path. I also enjoy studying, learning about the other religions, and welcome utilizing what I learn on my path, but my barometer, my filter, the bar everything is weighed against is the path that was set before me. That doesn't mean that I can't read Paramahansa, or Eckardt, or Tich, or .... and grow in my understanding of all through that as well.

wil said:
I call myself a Christian because my mentor is Jesus, and his path. I also enjoy studying, learning about the other religions, and welcome utilizing what I learn on my path, but my barometer, my filter, the bar everything is weighed against is the path that was set before me. That doesn't mean that I can't read Paramahansa, or Eckardt, or Tich, or .... and grow in my understanding of all through that as well.

Thanks for this explanation, Wil. May I ask a few questions? It's because I find myself comparing my own life against that of Jesus, his teachings, and his life example that I feel I am a Christian. I interpret these things differently than fundamentalists do, but I am not sure how I compare with more traditional beliefs.

Humanism is what brought me the light. And suddenly I began seeing the New Testament, and esp. Jesus and his teachings, through the lens of humanism. But I don't know if humanism is the only label for the type of thought through which I "came to Christ." It's the attitude that allows people to become who they were born to be.

My question to you is: Do you believe that you have to be saved from sin and washed in the blood of Jesus to get to heaven?

I'm just trying to figure out how much difference there is between my beliefs and what another professing Christian believes. That's why I'm asking. I think I know your answer and if memory didn't fail me I am sure you have posted your views about this before.

Ruby

RubySera_Martin said:
Humanism is what brought me the light. And suddenly I began seeing the New Testament, and esp. Jesus and his teachings, through the lens of humanism. But I don't know if humanism is the only label for the type of thought through which I "came to Christ." It's the attitude that allows people to become who they were born to be.

My question to you is: Do you believe that you have to be saved from sin and washed in the blood of Jesus to get to heaven?
I suppose I need to take the time to get a grasp of what humanism is...

But to answer your question. I'm not looking to 'get' to heaven, I am enjoying its graces right here. Look neither high nor low...the kingdom is in our midst.

Now as for 'washed in the blood of Jesus' I gotta tell you that communion stuff drinking blood and eatin flesh always got to me... until I developed the understanding that the bread represented his body....physical/material thought, and the wine represented his blood...spiritual/heavenly thought.

Now do I believe that is required for me to be bathed in spirtitual/heavenly thought in order to be in heaven?....hmmm do I believe that I need to learn to be in this world but not of it?....hmmm do I think I need to live from a positive, open, learning, personal growth atmosphere to attain heaven on earth....hmmmm how do I say this.....YES!

Now as for the being saved by Jesus....surely I believe he has saved me, by reading the stories, by learning to follow the path...I'm learning to be a better person, physically, mentally, spiritually and am saved from all those other ways I travelled in the past....So do I do a little dance, have a little saying or worship the man....NO, I don't think Jesus, Christ or G-d demand worship...if they did, they got issues.

wil said:
I suppose I need to take the time to get a grasp of what humanism is...

But to answer your question. I'm not looking to 'get' to heaven, I am enjoying its graces right here. Look neither high nor low...the kingdom is in our midst.

Now as for 'washed in the blood of Jesus' I gotta tell you that communion stuff drinking blood and eatin flesh always got to me... until I developed the understanding that the bread represented his body....physical/material thought, and the wine represented his blood...spiritual/heavenly thought.

Now do I believe that is required for me to be bathed in spirtitual/heavenly thought in order to be in heaven?....hmmm do I believe that I need to learn to be in this world but not of it?....hmmm do I think I need to live from a positive, open, learning, personal growth atmosphere to attain heaven on earth....hmmmm how do I say this.....YES!

Now as for the being saved by Jesus....surely I believe he has saved me, by reading the stories, by learning to follow the path...I'm learning to be a better person, physically, mentally, spiritually and am saved from all those other ways I travelled in the past....So do I do a little dance, have a little saying or worship the man....NO, I don't think Jesus, Christ or G-d demand worship...if they did, they got issues.

Thanks Wil. It occurs to me that I should take a closer look at the thread on Jesus, Christ, et al.

Not being a Christian myself, I am sometimes overhwhelmed by the varying beliefs of different sects of Christianity. However, what about people that don't really seem to fit into any particular Christian viewpoint, but that nonetheless express a mostly Christian idea of spirituality?

I ask this only because I have known a good deal of people over the years that have expressed a personal spirituality that seems, well, more Christian-influenced than anything. They may or may not lay claim on "being spiritual". They all tell me that they "believe in God", but they don't seem to have many ideas about this God. Most of them don't go to a church, and strangely, Jesus doesn't really seem to be a very important part of their belief...sometimes being ignored altogether.

All in all, I might sum them up by saying that, in most cases, they believe in God as understood by Christianity in one way or another, but their spiritual perspective or religious belief tends to stop there. It seems like most of them had some kind of Christian influence in their life, but they never really "looked in" to Christianity. They seemed to pick up the idea of God, and yet something as crucial to the Christian viewpoint as Jesus is not really given much importance.

I guess I would ask, where do these people fit in so far as Christianity goes? Can they be considered Christian if Jesus plays no role in their spirituality?

-Jiii

In considering what (or who) defines a Christian one should look at three possibilities: Christians who are called that by others; those that call themselves Christians; and those who would be considered Christians by Christ Jesus.

"The disciples were first called Christians in Antioch" (Acts 11:26).

The followers of the Way of Jesus were first called "little Christs" because their love for Jesus and one another was reflected in all of life's expression. Thus, being in Christ, and full of the Spirit of Holiness, they were clearly distinguished from the rest of the population, by others, as Christians.

Through the centuries many have considered themselves to be Christians for all kinds of social/cultural/political/religious reasons, some perhaps missing the fact that only disciples of Jesus Christ could in truth be considered to be Christians; discipleship implying at least a relationship entered into with the Master, on the Teacher's terms.

Thus, "being known" by the Lord to be his true follower would ultimately define whether or not one is a Christian in Spirit and in Truth, or whether one has fooled most of the people most of the time, or some of the people most of the time, or most of the people some of the time, or some people, sometimes---yet never Christ, not once.

And it seems to me that any true abiding in Him, and Him abiding in them true "Christians," has very little to do with politically correct social views or a myriad of "theological" labels that has sought to predicate Christianity according to innumerable doctrinal positions. And then, for those who are truly Christians, the discernment that is of greater value is whether they have progressed from being babes, to young men/women, to mature spirits; whether they have outgrown being carnal/sensual Christians to become spiritual heirs of Christ, and as His re-presentatives, make Him present again.

You either are in a spiritual relationship with the Spirit of Christ or not.
And if you are not sure about that---the same uncertainty surely does not exist in His Heart about your spiritual condition or the actual state of your relationship to God. In humility, He stands at the door, and knocks. :)

Respectfully,

Learner

leastone said:
only disciples of Jesus Christ could in truth be considered to be Christians; discipleship implying at least a relationship entered into with the Master, on the Teacher's terms.
But what are those terms?

leastone said:
Thus, "being known" by the Lord to be his true follower would ultimately define whether or not one is a Christian in Spirit and in Truth
How do we know who is known by the Lord to be his true follower?

cavalier said:

Jesus said at John 13:34-35
Jesus at John 13:34-35 said:
34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.

wil said:
I've never heard of this idea of the bread or body representing Christ's physical thought and wine/blood, his spiritual/heavenly thought. How is this conclusion arrived at?
I ask, not because I want to challenge the view, but rather because it's new to me and I want to understand.

seattlegal said:
Jesus said at John 13:34-35
34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.
OK.
This alone though, would include a lot of people who would not call themselves Christians.
Genuine question, is this a problem?

cavalier

Your own experience should confirm to you that the Teacher's terms are simple: "Believe in Me, believe my teachings, and do them (then you'll know them as the Truth and the Truth will set you free); deny yourself, and love one another as I have loved you."

Since it is a spiritual relationship/fellowship that we enter into, those who have His Spirit recognize one another even if strangers in a strange place.
If enabled by the Lord, they will also readily recognize a contrary spirit, that is, a spirit contrary to godliness, or holiness.

What you are apparently looking for, cavalier, is some sanction to call all those lovely people who love and serve others with sincere hearts "Christians" as well. Perhaps the topic requires a definition of a Christian, in the true sense of the word, rather than considering who all may qualify by that name, because it seems fair to us.

Respectfully,

Learner :)

jiii said:
However, what about people that don't really seem to fit into any particular Christian viewpoint, but that nonetheless express a mostly Christian idea of spirituality? ... a personal spirituality that seems, well, more Christian-influenced than anything. ... they believe in God as understood by Christianity in one way or another ... They seemed to pick up the idea of God ...

Hi Jiii. Interesting question.

I'm curious what you mean by a "mostly Christian" or "Christian-influenced" spirituality?

Monotheism? Heaven? Hell? Do unto others?

Just curious. :)

leastone said:
What you are apparently looking for, cavalier, is some sanction to call all those lovely people who love and serve others with sincere hearts "Christians" as well. Perhaps the topic requires a definition of a Christian, in the true sense of the word, rather than considering who all may qualify by that name, because it seems fair to us.

I agree (although I didn't used to). CS Lewis in "Mere Christianity" makes the same point:

"Objections … have been expressed against my use of the word Christian to mean one who accepts the common doctrines of Christianity. People ask: “Who are you, to lay down who is, and who is not a Christian?” or “May not many a man who cannot believe these doctrines be far more truly a Christian, far closer to the spirit of Christ, than some who do?”

Now this objection is in one sense very right, very charitable, very spiritual, very sensitive. It has every available quality except that of being useful. We simply cannot, without disaster, use language as these objectors want us to use it.

<snip>

Now if once we allow people to start spiritualizing and refining, or as they might say ‘deepening,’ the sense of the word Christian, it will too speedily become a useless word.

In the first place, Christians themselves will never be able to apply it to anyone. It is not for us to say who, in the deepest sense, is or is not close to the spirit of Christ. We do not see into men’s hearts. We cannot judge, and are indeed forbidden to judge. It would be wicked arrogance for us to say that any man is, or is not, a Christian in this refined sense. And obviously a word which we can never apply is not going to be a very useful word.

As for the unbelievers, they will no doubt cheerfully use the word in the refined sense. It will become in their mouths simply a term of praise. In calling anyone a Christian they will mean that they think him a good man. But that way of using the word will be no enrichment of the language, for we already have the word good. Meanwhile, the word Christian will have been spoiled for any really useful purpose it might have served.

We must therefore stick to the original, obvious meaning. The name Christians was first given at Antioch (Acts 11:26) to ‘the disciples,’ to those who accepted the teaching of the apostles.

<snip>

The point is not a theological or moral one. It is only a question of using words so that we can all understand what is being said.

When a man who accepts the Christian doctrine lives unworthily of it, it is much clearer to say he is a bad Christian than to say he is not a Christian.”

This does beg the question of what "the teachings" are that need to be accepted.

originally posted by neosia

I'm curious what you mean by a "mostly Christian" or "Christian-influenced" spirituality?

Monotheism? Heaven? Hell? Do unto others?
I have heard the term "Cultural Christian" used to refer to them before, but I've also heard that that's often used as a kind of demeaning way for some Christians to refer to others. A "Cultural Christian", as I've come to understand it, is one for whom "self-identification as Christian is more social and cultural than religious." I guess the key element to this term, though, is who you're asking. It is my guess...and only a guess...that some fundamentalists might look at Christianity and see many more "Cultural Christians" than a Liberal Christian would.

I've also heard the term "Nominal Christian", which suggests one for whom "Christian" is mostly a title. Again, though, I've heard that this is sometimes used as a derogatory term. "Nominal Christian" seems to refer to anyone that is basically monotheistic, believing in a vaguely Christian God, but which may or may not have a relationship with that God through Christ (Christ is missing in many nominal outlooks), rarely or never attend services, and have little emotional involvement with any church.

Again, I don't think these are "proper" terms...they seem more like pretty general ways to talk about unconventional Christian perspectives. I'd imagine that the size of the groups in actual numbers would differ depending on the bias of exactly who you're talking to, and what they consider to to be a 'merely cultural' or 'nominal' following.

-jiii

Hey thanks. I get what you're saying now. I was definitely a nominal Christian growing up. I believed that Jesus was God's son and knew that there was something important about him that I was supposed to believe or know, but I didn't know what that was. If anyone asked, I'd say "I'm Christian" because all my neighbors were, all my friends were.

In hindsight, I'd say I was a "theist" and that's probably what I'd say the people that you described in your post are. They believe in God, probably one God - monotheists.

Seems like following Christ as Teacher (Rabbi) would need to be in someone's worldview to be considered Christian.

Since this is the Liberal Christianity forum, a little voice/bell/lightbulb just buzzed, lit up in my head, or went `ding' - and that is to say, that I think we've done an excellent job of arriving, in your last post, Neosnoia, with a fairly acceptable definition of what a Christian is, in the conventional sense. :p

But we've also explored the broader, more accommodating sense of the word `Christian,' and personally, this is certainly the one I prefer. It is also the one I think is more suitable/suited for this forum, while the former (conventional) one, also has a good place at CR. :) Again, it's just an opinion ...

What I find, in looking at your early morning (6:06AM) post, leastone, is that I couldn't be in greater agreement, or feel that you've touched on a more important nerve - hmmm, no wait, nerve maybe, but if so, 'tis a muscle as well, 'tis surely the heart - in providing the perspective that you do. I would argue that in this whole wide world, there are actually dozens of men & women who are capable of "co-assessing" (I hate the word judge, even more than the word `hate') a person's spiritual status - with God, and with Christ. Dunno if it makes a difference, but the "just men made perfect," also spoken of in Ephesians 4:13, are surely not limited to ONE man only. ;) (And a good thing, that. :))

This being said, I have not a shred of a shadow of an inkling of a doubt - that a person's spiritual "status" or standing can be known by properly trained and qualified teachers ... and since you brought this up, I would add that the importance is vital in more situations than we might realize. What course of action does a Teacher take, what advice does she offer, for example, in a given situation, when a pupil (disciple) demonstrates a particular problem ... and seeks council?

It is here that I will respectfully diverge from C.S. Lewis' approach, understanding and presentation of Christianity. While I do respect him as a wonderful and talented author, and a gifted, qualified theologian - not to mention a brilliant man in general - I am of a very different mindset when it comes to this question of "seeing into men's hearts."

All that C. S. Lewis is really qualified to say, is that HE isn't capable of assessing the spiritual status of a man, in terms of the loosely phrased measuring stick of Ephesians 4:13. I DO agree that if we go about judging others, for whatever reason, we automatically demonstrate our meanness of spirit (in perhaps several readings of that phrase). But to say that NONE save Christ Himself can so judge (or discern, guage), is a bit presumptuous or narrowly focused.

It also undermines the significance and implications of St. Paul's admonition: `Let that Spirit be in you, which was in Christ Jesus.' ANY one of numerous Teachers (I have met a few), in His or Her higher spiritual awareness, is as AT-ONE with the Christ, as was Jesus of Nazareth following the Baptism. One of them that I have met, as an interesting trivial detail, is a Baptist Reverend. But I don't remember her as well as another Teacher.

What I like about this discussion, is that I feel we've pretty well come to the notion that either there are some pretty precise tenets, or articles of Faith, OR that there can be such a thing as a UNIVERSAL Christian ... by which I mean the Christian in the eyes of God, which some of us will risk the proverbial lightning bolt in attempting to discern, or otherwise describe. I am more inclined to the latter view, as I am certain that God isn't concerned in the least with what faith we profess ... She's 150% percent more concerned with how we act, how we treat others, what kind of example we set, and WHY.

But can we then say, that a person is Christian, who holds up as her dearest ideal, the example and teachings of Zarathushtra, or Orpheus the Lyricist? If so, then why have terms like Zoroastrians, or the Orphic Mysteries? Or `Christian' at all? :p

The distinctions exist for a reason! And for me, as fundamental as I am willing to get, or as conventional, is to acknowledge Christ Jesus as the incarnation of the 2nd Aspect. It is the centrality and unquestionable importance of Christ, which I would suggest makes Christianity what it is ... and the entire value of the example, for me, is just that. How, or indeed - whether - it affects us (whether Christ does, and God through Christ), is actually OUR decision. Yet I also maintain that we all ... have several lifetimes ahead, in which to perfect that faith.

Now a good liberal Christianity, imo, certainly has room for mystical interpretations, and should not deny that leeway or possibile understanding ... just as it should also not presume to define the exact manner (or liturgy) by which a person choose to worship the Lord God.

In this, I look to the examples of Freemasonry, as well as to the Meetings of the Quakers (or `Society of Friends'), as wonderful instances of existing liberal Christian fraternal or religious organizations ... and the kind of "hands-off" approach that helps to move us forward, or progress the Christian religion, since 2000 years ago.

I know that's poorly phrased - can't do better. Eyeballs slamming shut. off to the dreamtime ....

peace,

taijasi

cavalier said:
OK.
This alone though, would include a lot of people who would not call themselves Christians.

Glad you raised this question, Cav. I didn't read all the responses. I don't buy that we have to spout certain propositions or "I believe" statements in order to be Christians. I'm getting the impression from a number of sources that liberal Christianity is not "real" Christianity. This comes from fundamentalist Christians, from fundamentalist atheists, and from more mainstream atheism/agnosticism.

From mainstream Christianity I have not yet heard it. Cav, some people would say the people you describe are anonymous Christians, that they really are Christians deep down but they don't know it yet. My problem with that line of reasoning is that it presupposes that one must be a Christian in order to be a good person. Or that Christianity is superior to all other religions and belief systems. I am incapable of believing this.

My preference is to love these good people for who they are and forget about labels. But that brings us back to what defines Christians. I still believe it is a world view like I said in an earlier post on this thread. I really liked how Wil put it--Jesus is his mentor, Jesus' teachings guide his life, etc.

I see you are in Taiwan. Those people probably have their own religion or life philosophy and mentors that guide their lives. My thinking at this point of the conversation would be that they would be called/labeled according to the belief system they adhere to. Maybe that is what defines Christians--they adhere primarily to a belief system known as Christianity. Just my thoughts at this point because you bring up such a wonderful example.

Ruby

RubySera_Martin said:
Originally Posted by cavalier
OK.

Cav, some people would say the people you describe are anonymous Christians, that they really are Christians deep down but they don't know it yet. My problem with that line of reasoning is that it presupposes that one must be a Christian in order to be a good person. Or that Christianity is superior to all other religions and belief systems. I am incapable of believing this.
Maybe my "OK" was misleading, but I wasn't describing anyone, simply following up and asking a question about something that Seattlegirl wrote.
(By this I am not suggesting that she was definitely describing this kind of person.)

leastone said:
Your own experience should confirm to you that the Teacher's terms are simple:
I wonder if you meant to write, "My own experience...". What of those with different experiences?
leastone said:
"Believe in Me
What exactly does that mean? I ask because, after reading other peoples posts, it would appear that it means different things to different people.

leastone said:
Quote:
How do we know who is known by the Lord to be his true follower? Since it is a spiritual relationship/fellowship that we enter into, those who have His Spirit recognize one another even if strangers in a strange place.
If enabled by the Lord, they will also readily recognize a contrary spirit, that is, a spirit contrary to godliness, or holiness.
So, it would appear that you're suggesting we know a true follower of the Lord because another true follower will say that he is. That's a little weak.
One possible objection, take another believer who happens to believe something different to you, whose experience of God is different to yours. This person could say that he recognizes you to have a contrary spirit. Of course you might say the same thing back to him, but who are we to believe. I'm not necessarily saying I don't believe you, but I am going to need a better answer to my original question.

leastone said:
Respectfully, this is not what I am looking for. I wrote very clearly in post 16 what my views were regarding the definition of what a Christian is. My views have nothing to do with what you are arguing against here.

Are you interested in the debate, or are you interested in scoring points (both real and illusory)? If it is the former then I suggest you read what I have written instead of making things up.

Back