Dhammapada, first line

taijasi said:
Don't you think the concept (or understanding) that thoughts are things is very new to some people? This notion that thoughts affect, even build or create, reality? Thus that very truly, "all we are is the result of what we have thought?"

taijasi

Hi Taijadi,

Maybe you're right!

Each of us creates our own perceived reality that is unique to us. It is born with us and dies with us.

Snoopy.

It sure gets rid of any justification whatsoever to fall back on the victim mentality as a copout.

As interested as I am in Vedanta and Buddhism, I still have a hard time with "karma." :(

neosnoia said:
As interested as I am in Vedanta and Buddhism, I still have a hard time with "karma." :(
Neos ... which part of the teaching gives you trouble?

Namaskar,

andrew

The idea that whatever good or evil that one does in this life is returned to one in this or a next life.

So, everybody on this earth who is suffering is reaping their karma? And those on this earth who are living happy lives are reaping their karma?

How do we explain very good people who are very sick or poor or lonely? How do we explain very evil people who have money, power, friends and fame?

Or do the rewards of karma come to us in more "subtle" returns?

Christianity says "as you sow, so shall you reap," but outside those who hold to prosperity gospel, the idea isn't understood to mean that if you have crap in your life, you must have done something to deserve it.

I've really tried to obtain a different understanding of karma. I know there are nuanced differences regarding the idea in Vedanta, Buddhism and Neo-paganism. Perhaps you have a different understanding of it than I do? I'm interested in your perspective.:)

Back