Just wanted to introduce myself

tgarner

Reaction score
My name is Todd and I live in Indiana, where I raise my 12 year old son and live a nice quiet life in a small historical town.

I am new to Judaism and very much a Noachide at this point but am very excited about learning all that i can about Torah. Up to this point in my life I would say that science probably has been my religion if I had to pick one or at the very least would have considered myself a pantheist. I very much believed in G-d but my vision of what G-d is and what Christianity and the church taught me when growing up did not jive at all. I just never could get my heart to follow what my mind so profoundly rejected, right or wrong that is where I was, at least until I found Aish.com and came across an article written by Rabbi Kaplan about what Judaism believed G-d to be.

I was basically blown away to discover that it very much was what I already believed in my heart to the point that it really made me rethink everything I thought about G-d and our relationship with Him. I very quickly started reading everything I could find and started studying with an online group at Virtual Yeshiva on the weekly Torah portions. Listening to everything I could find by Rabbi Akiva Tatz on the underlying meanings within the Torah and reading as many posts here as I could also helped me very much in the beginning, especially posts by Bananabrain and Dauer. The two of you are so thoughtful and well spoken in what you speak about that it is inspiring to a newcomer to Judiasm.

I basically just wanted to register after snooping about for months so i could say hello and thank you for all the wonderful conversations that take place here and the patient way that you all seem to welcome newcomers.
I took some advice i read here as well about chosing a Chumash and purchsed the Everett Fox Chumash along with the Living Torah by Kaplan. When combined with the Stone Chumash i already bought when I started studying with the online group I think they give me a very well rounded view point and added food for thought each week. I especially like the Everett Fox translation and would love it if they made a smaller travel size that was easier to take with me places but I will take it as I can :)

Anyway nice to meet you all and I hope that i can contribute here in a positive way somehow in the future.

Shalom

Todd...welcome. I slide into the Judaism areas once in a while to ask questions and receive answers. I'm never disappointed. I'm all over the board on most days, so I'm sure we'll meet again.

flow....:)

Welcome to the site Todd. :)

I'm glad you've found the posts here helpful. I agree that Fox translation is really something to lug around. It's nice to see a lurker de-lurking. Hope to see you staying active.

Dauer

Welcome Todd. I was briefly a Noachide, and looking seriously at Judaism myself. But for personal and family reasons, decided to stay in the Christian faith. I do have a bit broader and more liberal view of spiritual matters, however. Hope you will benefit from all the wonderful people and inputs here, and look forward to your own.

Dondi

Thank you, thank you!

Well it has been a while since I posted that and it has been ALOT of learning since :)
I appreciate your decision to remain the Christian faith, it has been a struggle for me dealing with my family on faith issues as they are all Catholic and I was raised Catholic as well. My family is not very religious though so that has made them more understanding of my new way of life but still there has been some pretty heated issues when it comes to the secluar holidays as my family does take them very seriously but luckily for my in a family tradition sort of way rather then religious.
I am a single father raising a 13 year old son so that is a challenge to make sure he gets to enjoy and take part in all of my families activities but also teach him what i believe. It is a challenge for sure.

As for conversion, I have no idea if that will ever be a part of my path. Hashem will show me the way when the time comes or I will remain a Noahide the rest of my life happily. Either way it has already been decided for me im sure ;)

I study online at the Virtual Yeshiva (Welcome to Jewish Learning on the Net at VirtualYeshiva.com) and it has just been the greatest experience of my life, at least in my spiritual life. There is alot of really great people there and some amazing Ravs teaching.
If you have never checked it out i would recommend it. It is pretty much all Jewish along with an every growing Noahide base but I am sure they would welcome anyone who is respectful and not looking for a fight like alot of people who go on Paltalk.

Thank you again for the reply and be well

Noahide_todd

Hmmm weird, I replied to his yesterday but it still is not posted to the thread?

Am I moderated because i am new?

There is a 60 second... "cool off period" though right? Sometimes, sometimes you may not notice that and type another message under a minute... it pops up a warning but you click on ahead... Maybe user error... who knows... Did you use naughty language or dirty language? That may have got it put into a mod's pedigon hole..... But failing that.... No idea... lol

I don't remember seeing any posts by you flagged for moderation. It may have just been a glitch.

Dauer

No naughty language here :)

Ahhh well no worries, too long to try and recreate really so I will just say thank you all very much.

I know the feeling! Specially when you put quite a bit of work and understanding and time and care into it... And then to have to repeat it.... ah forget it... "Thanks" :D

Ooohhh, I hates when that happens. That's why, if I remember, I copy my lengthy posts either to the "clipboard" or on a Word Doc before submitting them.

hello todd, glad to see you delurk and delighted to have made a contribution to your spiritual journey.

tgarner said:
I just never could get my heart to follow what my mind so profoundly rejected, right or wrong that is where I was, at least until I found Aish.com and came across an article written by Rabbi Kaplan about what Judaism believed G-d to be.
r. kaplan z"l has touched many lives, not least my own. i'm not a big fan of aish though, because they have a very monolithic, idealised and inflexible view of what judaism is, despite their superficial worldliness.

I very quickly started...Listening to everything I could find by Rabbi Akiva Tatz on the underlying meanings within the Torah
r. tatz is also considered a heavy hitter in the kiruv (outreach) world, although he is not a pluralist and i have profoundly disagreed with at least one of his books on similar grounds to those on which i disapprove of many aspects of aish. i guess that's an internal argument though. i don't know him all that well and i'm sure he wouldn't remember me, although i once spoke at a wedding he also spoke at, which i suppose made me the warm-up act. he's friends with some very good friends of mine - a nice enough chap but far too lionised by the kiruv set who insist on treating him like a rock star. not his fault i must say, but part of the silly tendency some people have to defer to rabbis in an exaggerated fashion.

I took some advice i read here as well about chosing a Chumash and purchsed the Everett Fox Chumash along with the Living Torah by Kaplan. When combined with the Stone Chumash i already bought when I started studying with the online group I think they give me a very well rounded view point and added food for thought each week.
the living Torah is excellent (i believe the fox is as well) albeit with a very poor hebrew typeface. however its translation is of unrivalled quality. the stone one i would always take with a pinch of salt - if you've been reading CR for some time you'll be aware of my somewhat jaundiced views on artscroll, or microsoft salafi judaism as i call it. harrumph.

once again, baruch ha-ba.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Hehe I have never heard of Artscroll compared to Micro$oft but I can see why you would, that is very funny :D

As for Rabbi Tatz, that is awesome that you know him and while I dont give him rock star status and understand what you mean I do respect his teachings a great deal but that is just personal opinion of someone who doesnt know all that much yet :) I think its not so much that I take everything he says as the WORD but I just really connect with his teaching style maybe. I dont know.

Thank you for you lengthy reply BB, i do appreciate that and all who replied.

I have been lurking here alot on and off and always try to read your posts carefully but I dont recall alot of talk about Artscroll exactly.
Would you mind giving me a little summary of what you dislike about their editon? I mean is it the translation itself or the commentary?
I am just curious.

Also if you would have any good sites with articles or audio shiurs that you would recommend that would be great as well. I do visit Aish.com quite a bit but probably more Chabad.org now a days.

Thank you all again!! :D

Hi Todd

Welcome to CR, hope you enjoy your time and feel sure you will add much to our discussions. I too had the 'couldn't make my heart follow where my mind wouldn't go'. I believe G-d has a path for each of us and I am so happy you have found yours.

Salaam
Sally

Noticed your earlier post flagged for moderation - probably due to the embedded link. Cleared the flag & figured I should mention it, because of the discussion on it - otherwise the discussion sounds crazy since the post is there :)

Welcome to CR, tgarner!

Ooohhh, I hates when that happens. That's why, if I remember, I copy my lengthy posts either to the "clipboard" or on a Word Doc before submitting them.

Some of us are just too care free, I must begin to make copies... Sometimes I have (honestly) gone to make a valid good point, and because the time and effort has gone in and I have wasted it... I just can't be bothered, so I randomly pick someone and poke fun :(

Back