Daily Wisdom Saying

This magnificent butterfly finds a little heap of dirt and sits still on it; but man will never on his heap of mud keep still.....

-Joseph Conrad

Anonymous tradition

Vajradhara said:
Namaste all,

this thread will be an ongoing update of pithy wisdom sayings from various traditions... my contributions will be mainly from the Buddhist and Taoist schools of thought. i would encourage any poster to contribute to this list if they would like.

without further ado...

Zen in its essence is the art of seeing into the nature of one's being, and it points the way from bondage to freedom.

D.T. Suzuki

Namaste Vaj and all:

I have two contributions, from an anonymous source.

The first one:

If you have wealth to build a mansion, go live in a hotel.

Anonymous

The second one is from the same source , but the thought is of no connection with the first:

In college I had a classmate in one subject on Southeast Asian politics. He was a naughty fellow and told me about the national anthem of Siam. He recommended to me to sing the first line several times everyday, which I do up to the present:

Oh-what-an-ass-Siam, Oh-what-an-ass-Siam

Anonymous (No offense intended to our Thai brothers, though)

Susma Rio Sep

Mother's love

sjr said:
Love is the guardian deity of everything.Nothing can exist without it.Aikido is the realization of love.

Morihei Ushiba
(Shinto?I assume)

I don't know about Aikido, except that it's some kind of martial art.

Anyway, if I may: please be reminded, Aikido masters and enthusiasts, that all love is analogous to a mother's love for her child.

Call up your mommy now and say "I love you, mommy."

Susma Rio Sep

Vajradhara said:
This magnificent butterfly finds a little heap of dirt and sits still on it; but man will never on his heap of mud keep still.....

-Joseph Conrad

If I may, Vaj, I would like to make a comment:

"That's why man has landed on the moon and now will land on Mars."

I wonder if Conrad would be excited were he around today.

Susma Rio Sep

Susma Rio Sep said:
I don't know about Aikido, except that it's some kind of martial art.

Anyway, if I may: please be reminded, Aikido masters and enthusiasts, that all love is analogous to a mother's love for her child.

Call up your mommy now and say "I love you, mommy."

Susma Rio Sep

I dont need to she lives with me and Parkinsons/dementia/Lewy Body but I will tell her I love you mommy

A page from a journal of modern experimental physics will be as mysterious to the uninitiated as a Tibetan mandala. Both are records of inquiries into the nature of the universe.

-Fritjof Capra

Susma Rio Sep said:
To all Buddhist and Zen enthusiasts here:

I am of the impression that whatever of wisdom for life Buddhism and its various schools have thought up, and their social, dietary, disciplinary, and physical and mental health prescriptions: they have been thought up and said by wise men from other realms and other times from the dawn of human society and language to the present.

Of course being Buddhist or Zen-ist gives the enhusiasts a label for which they can claim distinction and some sense of superior differentiation.

Susma Rio Sep

LOL, incorrect, simplistic and shallow but nonetheless amusing. ;)

Two very good Buddhists

zenmonk_genryu said:
LOL, incorrect, simplistic and shallow but nonetheless amusing. ;)

Thanks, Zenmonk.

If I may, and dispense praise:

You and Vaj are two authentic Buddhists.

If there is one just man..., here we have two.

Susma Rio Sep

PS I assure you I still have a lot of amusing posts coming, which I hope will not exhaust your Buddhist calm and composure for being incorrect, simplistic and shallow.{/i]

Susma Rio Sep said:
Thanks, Zenmonk.

If I may, and dispense praise:

You and Vaj are two authentic Buddhists.

If there is one just man..., here we have two.

Susma Rio Sep

PS I assure you I still have a lot of amusing posts coming, which I hope will not exhaust your Buddhist calm and composure for being incorrect, simplistic and shallow.{/i]

Exhaust it, that's what it's there for. And you knew two of the three qualities I mentioned about the posting already, as you well know. As for amusing posts - keep them coming, it takes my mind off my stiff legs. ;)

Zdrastvuitsye, hola, shalom, salaam, Dia dhuit, namastar ji, hej, konnichiwa, squeak, meow, :wave: zenmonk_genryu.

"I never met a man I didn't like." - Will Rogers

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Beginning of wisdom

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine said:
Zdrastvuitsye, hola, shalom, salaam, Dia dhuit, namastar ji, hej, konnichiwa, squeak, meow, :wave: zenmonk_genryu.

"I never met a man I didn't like." - Will Rogers

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Dismay with oneself is the beginning of wisdom." -- Anonymous

Susma Rio Sep

True bliss

Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
On a full stomach, that is bliss.

-- Anonymous

Susma Rio Sep

Christ and Krishna

"The kingdom of heaven is within you."

--Jesus

"Woke up this morning with my mind/
Stayin' on Jesus."

--traditional folk song

"Those who worship me and meditate on me constantly, without any other thought, I will provide for all their needs."

"Whoever makes me the supreme goal of all his works and acts without selfish attachment, who devotes himself to me completely and is free from ill will to any creature, enters into me."

--Krishna

One eyed world

zenmonk_genryu said:
"if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light."
Matt 6:22

If thy eye scandalizes thee, pluck it out; then you wouldn't see no evil, and be closer to the Kingdom. -- Anonymous Cynic

Susma Rio Sep

When the world is in accord with the Tao,
fast horses are left to fertilize fields.
When the world is not in accord with the Tao,
war horses are bred in the countryside.

There is no greater fault than ambition,
no greater curse than discontentment,
and no greater sin than greed.
The one who is contented with contentment shall always be contented.

-- Laozi

Back