For my Brothers and Sisters in the Lord Jesus Christ

For what it is worth, Catholics state the age of "Acsention" is 12-14, or when the body begins to take the form of an adult, and the mind and spirit are supposed to begin that change as well. I also believe Baptists note that time as the time for the decision for being baptised?

Quahom1 said:
For what it is worth, Catholics state the age of "Acsention" is 12-14, or when the body begins to take the form of an adult, and the mind and spirit are supposed to begin that change as well. I also believe Baptists note that time as the time for the decision for being baptised?

Maybe technically, and it may technically vary from one type of Baptist congregation to another. But there are many who do come by decision and are baptized before this age. (I was at 9).

InPeace,
InLove

InLove said:
Maybe technically, and it may technically vary from one type of Baptist congregation to another. But there are many who do come by decision and are baptized before this age. (I was at 9).

InPeace,
InLove

I wasn't exactly putting an age to the time of knowing right from wrong...neither were our ancestors? (right) But it seems our contemporaries want hard fast answers and decisions right bloomin now. No wonder children are in such a quandry to become adults too fast too soon. We seem to want little adults, instead of children around us. Gee, that seems awful familiar to say, the 1700s...

Terrence said:
Does the sinner who is drowing in sin, whether knowingly or not, love God or does He love sin? What does the scripture teach?

God has given every man a conscience:

"For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;" - Romans 2:14-15

The Jews had the advantage(?) of having the Law of Moses. However, there is written in everyone the sense of right and wrong. So someone who sins is going to know that he is doing something wrong.

I also believe that we have an innate sense of God, that there is Something that is bigger than ourselves that we are accountable to:

"Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened." - Romans 1:19-21

But when someone does wrong, he is going to find that he has a lack of the ability to do right. When that happens, one of two things will occur. Either he will acknowledge that sin and try to correct the error, or he will feed off his sin and invariably sear his conscience as a hot iron (I Timothy 4:2), which is a dangerous thing.

But if he tries to forsake that sin, he will often find that he will fail, facing much the dilemma Paul faced in Romans 7:15:

'For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I."

But at the same time, God has given us the ability to come to Him "....according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith." (Romans 12:3)

In Acts 17:26-28, Paul explains that God is not far from us:

"And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring."

This tell me that we are not hopeless in finding God, if we are seeking God. Wherever God has place us in this world, He is not far from us.

"But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul." - Deut. 4:29

God promises to those who will seek Him that they will find Him and He will not cast them out.

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." - John 6:37

By coming to God, one will find that God will forgive him and cleanse him and give freely the water of life, that is His Spirit, so that the love of God will shine in their hearts.

Kindest Regards, FaithfulServant!
Faithfulservant said:
Juantoo.. you really think 5 yo is accountability??? I believe its adulthood... which in Judiasm its 13ish.. I also think it differs from person to person.. A mentally challenged person might never reach that age.. My thought is when you have a fully developed conscience..when you know right from wrong at the age of 5 you are still too impressionable.. for example a 5 yo can be sexually abused and not know its wrong.. or they could steal a candybar and not know its wrong..
For all I know you may well be correct. The point contested that an infant is sinful is not correct. We are born innocent, into a sinful world, to that much I can agree. The threshold for the age of accountability may differ from denomination to denominaton, but I would think there are serious doctrinal interpretation issues with a denomination that teaches that a child is born sinful.

Thank you for your additional insight on this, it is appreciated. :)

the age of accountability may differ by denomination, but having said that, the second one says "by denomination" one has just pointed out the issue of social peer pressure. many children fall into wanting to please this social group of family and denominational group and prematurely get baptized. others fall into a system of courses that culminates into a baptism, whether the child is ready or not at the end of that system of courses is irrelevant, because the baptism gets done as it is the end of this system of courses, therein it maybe be done prematurely. others are baptized at birth and unwittingly have been baptized without making any conscious decision of its implications.

for a baptism to be effective, the decision must be a mature and personal decision without pressure but rather a calling, and after one understands the meaning, the reason, and the responsibility thereafter, then it is a good time to be baptized. that age differs from person to person and the social environment in which they are brought up rather than which denomination they are.

Well.. I do know that God is going to be Fair and His decision will be Just and Good no matter what the age of a child... Jesus also said let the children come to me and that we all need to become as children are to see the Kingdom of God.

Back