HELL or HECK ?

I personally thought it was brilliant. Gotta use at least both "halves" of your brain to write something like that, not to mention the fun of risking a bad grade for something better! :D

InPeace,
InLove

mee said:
Hell​
Definition:
The word "hell" is found in many Bible translations. In the same verses other translations read "the grave," "the world of the dead," and so forth. Other Bibles simply transliterate the original-language words that are sometimes rendered "hell"; that is, they express them with the letters of our alphabet but leave the words untranslated. What are those words? The Hebrew she’ohl´ and its Greek equivalent hai´des, which refer, not to an individual burial place, but to the common grave of dead mankind; also the Greek ge´en·na, which is used as a symbol of eternal destruction. However, both in Christendom and in many non-Christian religions it is taught that hell is a place inhabited by demons and where the wicked, after death, are punished (and some believe that this is with torment).

If you dont repent and put your trust in the real Jesus (not the JW version) and not in your own good works, you will find out that there is a place where the worm never dies and the smoke of unregenerated sinners will go up forever and ever. Please consider looking at something that isnt JW based. You're eternal life depends on it.

Terrence said:
If you dont repent and put your trust in the real Jesus (not the JW version) and not in your own good works, you will find out that there is a place where the worm never dies and the smoke of unregenerated sinners will go up forever and ever. Please consider looking at something that isnt JW based. You're eternal life depends on it.

What is JW?

So, hell is made out of smoke and worms?

kinda sounds like a swamp in Louisiana.

Terrence said:
JW is short for J. Witness. As for the other comments, Im not sure if you were being a jerk or genuine. So, I'll let someone else answer.

Why is your interpretation of Hell right and the JW one is not?

sara[h]ng said:

It counters what the Bible specifically states hell as being (a place of torment).

Quahom1 said:
It counters what the Bible specifically states hell as being (a place of torment).

Hm. I think there's something I'm not getting here. Did someone post the JW idea of Hell on here and I missed it? If noone did, what is that idea of Hell? And forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject, I'd reference it myself if it were practical, but what does the Bible specifically state Hell to be?

sara[h]ng said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil
Coming up with any logical or semilogical answer in a science class must be rare....

Huh?
Sorry I was refering to the question in the story... "Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?" And the challenge to a student in combining theological and scientific thought...

sara[h]ng said:

Simply. Because I dont interprete the scriptures but instead allow the scriptures to interprete itself. Thats correct hermanutics.

Interpret itself? I don't understand. One could take a liberal interpretation, a conservative one... one could consider differences in translations and changes over time...

Terrence said:
Simply. Because I dont interprete the scriptures but instead allow the scriptures to interprete itself. Thats correct hermanutics.
I think this is the issue, it seems so many think they are privy to the answer and the others have it wrong. For this we have a variety of orhodoxies, and a variety of Protestants and we created a liberal space so that those like me who have views which can't be tolerated here have a place to discuss.

But I do find it sad that even with me keeping my heretical notions off this board there is still such todo over here. Judge not less ye be judged comes to mind...but that would be judgemental.

sara[h]ng said:
Hm. I think there's something I'm not getting here. Did someone post the JW idea of Hell on here and I missed it? If noone did, what is that idea of Hell? And forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject, I'd reference it myself if it were practical, but what does the Bible specifically state Hell to be?

Yes, Mee, gave his definition of Hell. However, the definition is only half of the whole. The part Mee describes accurately is Sheol or Hades, which is the grave. The second part (though called Hell in English) is actually a different word in the original Greek and Aramaic, and it is found in both the Gospels as well as in Revelation. It describes a place of torment, and anguish beyond imagination, for those who are removed from the sight of God (and I suspect His memory).

The English translation calls both concept "hell" however the descriptor before and after the word, identifies which concept the author is describing.

InLove said:
Yes, but what is heck? No one has answered that yet.:D

H E double tooth picks in kid's speak (that's to avoid the soap cake in the mouth as I recall)

sara[h]ng said:
Interpret itself? I don't understand. One could take a liberal interpretation, a conservative one... one could consider differences in translations and changes over time...

All I meant was to just use clearer scripture to interpret the not so cear scripture that deals with the same topic. u know?

There's supposedly seven different Hells in Judaism. So there are presumably seven different correlating definitions of Hell in English, as well.

moseslmpg said:
There's supposedly seven different Hells in Judaism. So there are presumably seven different correlating definitions of Hell in English, as well.

I think you meant Islam? No, Christianity does not consider levels of Hell. Though Dantes did write a story about something similar (The inferno).

wil said:
I think this is the issue, it seems so many think they are privy to the answer and the others have it wrong. For this we have a variety of orhodoxies, and a variety of Protestants and we created a liberal space so that those like me who have views which can't be tolerated here have a place to discuss.

But I do find it sad that even with me keeping my heretical notions off this board there is still such todo over here. Judge not less ye be judged comes to mind...but that would be judgemental.

We are actually to judge everything but a man's heart.

Quahom1 said:
I think you meant Islam? No, Christianity does not consider levels of Hell. Though Dantes did write a story about something similar (The inferno).
No, it's definitely Judaism. The only three that show up distinctly in Christianity are Abaddon, Sheol, and Gehenna. I don't know the Islamic Hells, but I know one that correlates to Gehenna is called Jahannam.

You know, the Encyclopedia of Hell by Miriam Van Scott is a pretty good source of information for different interpretations of Hell. They're not all directly biblical, but many of them are based on the biblical accounts, along with the references to pop culture, etc. It probably won't answer any deep questions, but there it is for people who have the interest.

Back