What does Buddhism say aboot:

Namaste all,

i suppose that i should point out that we need to understand the Precepts and all Buddhist teachings within their context, for without doing so we may be using teachings which are not apropos for us.

there are many famous tales of Ch'an and Zen masters that regularly engaged in the use of intoxicants to no ill effect. there is a slight difference between them and us (speaking generally) in that they are further along on the path and do not require the same guide posts as we that are less far along, do.

Buddha Dharma doesn't frown upon intoxicants, per se, rather it is that the use of such substances can easily lead one to infract the other Precepts, such as harsh speech, lying and so forth. Again, it must be understood in context and in relation to our own practice.

Buddha Dharma is not like many other traditions in this regard, i.e. there is not one rule that is applicable to all beings in all times... each precept or rule is specific and related to the stage of an individual adherents own level of practice. So it becomes important for the would-be Buddhist to investigate the teachings themselves to determine which ones are applicable and which ones are not.

in my own view, of course :)

metta,

~v

Buddhism isn't about policing what it's adherents do, so you can drop the defensiveness. That itself, is a cause for suffering (in this case separation), which is what Buddha taught how to abandon.

17th is presently saying I might be interested in running a marathon but is currently at the stage of browsing in a sports shop and I'm showing 17th what kind of running shoes there are.

You got it snoopy....

Wow some real usefull and helpful links/advice and information from many... Didn't expect this much of a "turn out" Thank you very much for all your time and views. :D

Back