The Strategies of Christian Fundamentalism

China Cat Sunflower said:
Religious fundamentalism is dangerous, Salty. That's the truth. Look what's happened here in the U.S. over the course of the last several years. I'm not inclined to give the fundies a break. No kiss and make up from me.

Chris

The original poster was talking about "Christian fundamentalism." The article he refered to seemed to describe all of Christianity as "fundamentalist," even the liberal forms of Christianity.

What I was wondering was whether this "truth" was about "Christian fundamentalism" or Christianity as a whole? Was the agenda to say that Christianity as a whole was "fundamentalist" in nature or was it simply isolating "fundamentalist Christianity" for criticism?

Obviously the original poster may or may not share these views. He may just have been passing it on. He may not even know the difference between Christianity in general and fundamentalist Christianity!!! He may be either a "new comer" or "new skeptic" to Christianity.

What I was saying was that the original poster didn't clearly identify his own subject of criticism, he simply referred to an article that talked about fundamentalist Christianity. He didn't clearly state whether he personally perceived Christianity as "fundamentalist" in nature.

I already know "fundamentalism" is dangerous, I just wanted to know what the original poster believes to be "the truth" about Christianity. He didn't exactly make that clear in his post. I don't know what to think!!!:eek:

Good post! The article shows a classic chip-on-the-shoulder view of fundamentalism. As Luna rightly points out, Christian fundamentalism technically, and colloquially are two very different things. Still, life is uncertain. Those who cannot come to grips with the uncertainty of life are attracted to fundamentalist thinking. It's a security blanket which relies on a cultivation of ignorance in lieu of honest intellectual effort. This is constantly reinforced. That's fine, whatever works. What irritates me is when fundies try to push their oversimplified, superstitious world view off on the rest of us, and use their silly, nonsensical, irrational, straw man arguments as if they were a viable substitute for reason.

I was once a fundamentalist, so maybe I still have that chip on my shoulder.

Chris

Liberty is a wonderful balance, in more ways than one...:rolleyes: ;)

The strategies of Christian Fundamentalism....

Do we think that someone is wringing their hands in the back rooms of churches...'what will we put them through next?'

How does one strategize these things?

While I can't claim any love for fire and brimstone, I do know that many folks were brought to find their way by 'that old time religion'. I do know that many folks live their lives quite contently within those boundaries.

It obviously isn't for all, me being one of them (in my current thinking...one thing I've learned over time is never say never)

i think if we pretend that there is a possiblity that religion is brainwashing. it can become clear that it is a self sustaning and very complex organism, where even the biggest plotters and schemers really think they are doing good and following truth.

the power of religious brainwashing (a lot of you might have to try and use some imagination on this one)

all religion works by tricking the mind into thinking that the realities of the universe are governed by intangible, unatainable things that have no limits and are not understandable by us, once the mind is convinced that a force like this is in control, the floodgates are open for just about anything
... it gives the deep human imagination/intuition and subconscious free reign over the reality experienced by the individual.

just think about it

pretend

your god might understand

all religion works by tricking the mind into thinking that the realities of the universe are governed by intangible, unatainable things...
even if i think that religion has brainwashed, i am struck by complexity and thought that went into the universe. then i just have the basics: i am because someone created, and knew enough to give me senses and a beautiful world, and i want to tell god that he is great.

but are those the basics. you are saying: i am becase someone created. i say: okay, if YOU say so!

but that is still giving the the evidence of experience over to the control of an intangible and un prove able being

but are those the basics. you are saying: i am becase someone created. i say: okay, if YOU say so!

but that is still giving the the evidence of experience over to the control of an intangible and un prove able being
im not saying, the world in front of your eyes is saying. something cannot come from nothing. certainly it cannot be ignored and not questioned that someone personally made beauty and love and enjoyment for us purposefully. its not a question for me anyway, and i dont need religion to tell me that. yes god is great!

Back