Eclectic spirituality

Prober, yeah, they are complimentary, on the face of it, but a lot of ppl tell me I should choose one or the other...

Yeah, me too. But Buddhism gives such wonderful insight into the mind and Christianity - the heart. I feel compelled to combine them.

Christianity tells me to keep my will out of the equation, but Buddhism demonstrates how.

However, Buddhism tells me I can do it all by myself and Christianity tells me that all I have to do is surrender to God for help.

So God's help makes walking meditation easier and Buddhism - sitting.

From The Inner Experience by Thomas Merton

(Note: Here Merton is comparing the idea of God and Inmost self as described by Augustine, with Zen.)

And the fact that the Eastern Mystic, not conditioned by centuries of theological debate, may not be inclined to reflect on the fine points of metaphysical distinction does not necessarily mean that he has not experienced the presence of God when he speaks of knowing the Inmost Self.

So to say that a study of Buddhism and Christianity helps frame a deeper understanding certainly has merit. I wonder if the Buddhist ideas of Ultimate Reality and St. John of the Cross's idea that God is both hidden and unknowable (at least to the ordinary senses) might be quite similar.

Peace
Mark

Posted by Snoopy on another thread:

Once, in ancient times, when the World-Honored One was at
MountGrdhrakata, he twirled a flower before his assembled disciples. All were silent. Only Mahakasyapa broke into a smile.
The World-Honored One said, "I have the eye treasury of right Dharma, the subtle mind of Nirvana, the true form of no-form, and the flawless gate of the teaching. It is not established upon words and phrases. It is a special transmission outside tradition. I now entrust this to Mahakasyapa."

To me, there is this unspoken direction in Christianity as well. Like the Holy Spirit working in a person's life. "You will hear a voice behind you saying "this is the way, walk ye in it"".

Thoughts?

Well Paladin, that's certainly how my version of Christo-Buddhism looks at it. If we're too filled up with concretized notions of who we & "God" are, I believe it gets in the way of becoming a transparent window to the Divine. So, that's why I see a real affinity possible between Buddhism and Christianity with Buddhism providing a number of helpful means to accomplish what Meister Eckhart notes:

"All that God asks you most pressingly is to go out of yourself and let God be God in you."

In that regard Prober, though I often have my doubts about my spiritual choices and my path in life in general, as Path noted, we have to discern what Spirit wants of us and to honor our deepest inclinations of heart and mind. It's perhaps more of an intuitive or "gut feeling" thing-to hear that still small voice within for guidance. Obviously we can be wrong but if we constantly check within we'll be "right" for ourselves more often than if we only remain unquestioningly on the level of cognitions-belief systems which may not fit one. I often think that God no more wants a one religion world than God would want only one type of ecosystem. Guess we just need to strive to "bloom where and how God planted us.":) have a good one, earl

Yeah, me too. But Buddhism gives such wonderful insight into the mind and Christianity - the heart. I feel compelled to combine them.

Christianity tells me to keep my will out of the equation, but Buddhism demonstrates how.

However, Buddhism tells me I can do it all by myself and Christianity tells me that all I have to do is surrender to God for help.

So God's help makes walking meditation easier and Buddhism - sitting.
IMHO, the heart is part of the mind. It seems that so many want to limit mind to a specific framework that is just too small to contain mind. JMHO.

I was introduced to Renewal Judaism...it is the place where JewBhus, JewFis, HinJews, etc (Jews with Bhuddist, Sufi, Hindu, etc. persuasions) can express and speak freely.

Luv this stuff, as I am hard pressed to find any theology/religion/philosophy that doesn't contain some value to me.

IMHO, the heart is part of the mind. It seems that so many want to limit mind to a specific framework that is just too small to contain mind. JMHO.

Quite true...

I don't find Buddhism limiting to my mind at all, but I think of Christianity as requiring that my mind get out of the way to submit to God.

Maybe that isn't so and I just think it is because I was conditioned from birth to be a Christian and haven't learned something yet. I've recently come back to the church, this time because I wanted to and not because someone else forced me.

So I've been conditioned to do the things that I now want to do and sometimes that's a strange feeling. Like remembering that I used to be insincere doing the same thing I'm now doing sincerely. (Does that make sense?)

Buddhism - no conflict at all in my mind (due to no conditioning?).

Quite true...

I don't find Buddhism limiting to my mind at all,
I wasn't specifically referring to Buddhism in this case. :eek:
but I think of Christianity as requiring that my mind get out of the way to submit to God.
Sometimes. However, Jesus repeatedly warned us, "Do not be deceived." We are not required to check our minds at the door. Rather, we are required to check our ego at the door.

Maybe that isn't so and I just think it is because I was conditioned from birth to be a Christian and haven't learned something yet. I've recently come back to the church, this time because I wanted to and not because someone else forced me.

So I've been conditioned to do the things that I now want to do and sometimes that's a strange feeling. Like remembering that I used to be insincere doing the same thing I'm now doing sincerely. (Does that make sense?)

Buddhism - no conflict at all in my mind (due to no conditioning?).
I wasn't raised in any religion, myself. However, I was "conditioned" or "trained" in Zen without my knowing it. Yes, it can be a strange feeling realizing you are doing things you were conditioned to do!

I often think that God no more wants a one religion world than God would want only one type of ecosystem. Guess we just need to strive to "bloom where and how God planted us.":) have a good one, earl

Absolutely!!!

If we did so, we would all be following God and have no reason for disagreement between us. We would merely share different hues of beauty.

Back