Can fear be productive when approaching God?

I remember having a great fear of God when younger. Well, not God himself, but a fear of hell instead. I feared doing the wrong things, and not pleasing him. I stumbled greatly during those days, and still do at times when I fear not being on the right path, or not believing in the right things.

Can this be productive? I mean, can fear lead a person to true respect, and addoration? It seems nowdays I belive in God and Love him, but I get confused when it comes to Jesus. Was he God, and if he was, why won't I believe it? (Fear of being wrong, I think)

It would seem to me that the Spirit is what counts, and beliving in God, and honoring him the best you can, wether you view him in a physical form, or not. I think he [Jesus] was certainly the son of God, and that he came for God, and in his Spirit. I fear being wrong about not viewing and worshiping Jesus as God, though. I can't change what I'm able to believe, and not believe, and this causes me fear, which is quite miserable at times.

Then I'll go back to Love, and I'll feel accepted, and joyous again, but my mind always seems to go back to fearing I'm wrong about Jesus. It's a brutal cycle of fear that seems to have no end./shrug

Can this be productive at all? God's not telling me Jesus is God, he's not telling me I have to believe he was, but he 'seems' to be showing me through my inward state that Love, and Spirit, and condition of heart is what matters. Why can't I keep these more fruitful things, and forego my mental fear of being wrong? (I don't expect anyone to answer this one)

Anyway, I think fear cripples the heart, and becomes a great stumbling block for many...

Love,

I think fear no matter what is a bad thing to have and a weakness... If you fear something, you're going to mess up. You'll freeze, hesitate, choose the wrong answer, dodge the wrong way, lack honesty and so on and so forth... And as we are mere humans anyway we mess up enough as it is..... If your god was real and I knew he was real I wouldn't fear him. I never offer anything or one my fear. Just my way of life..

Exodus has many types of Christ, particularly in regards to the Passover Lamb. Egypt was a type of the world, with all its excesses and worldly reilgion. The ten plagues upon Egypt culminated to the last plague in which all first-born children were to die during the night....unless they spread the blood of an umblemished lamb over the doorposts. The Israelites did so, the Egyptians scoffed in unbelief. In the morning, much wailing could be heard in the homes of those who did not obey the Word of the Lord, including Pharoah, who lost his first-born son. It was the final plague before Pharoah let the people go.

John the Baptist, when he saw Jesus approaching to get baptized, said, "...Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." - John 1:29

Jesus told the Pharisees:

"Search the scriptures;[OT] for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life." - John 5:39-40 [brackets mine]

And a little further He said in vs 46-47:

"For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.
But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?"

The OT points to Christ, the Word of the Living God.

Thanks, Dondi...I realize this, which is why I said directly, instead of at all. The studies I sometimes go to are more like a gathering where we all participate in reading, and discussing the scripture. It's a great thing, and a blessing to me, and we have been doing it since I was a small child. Although, I can't say that I am a frequent flyer, lol!

[17th Angel] I think I agree with you here, but some fear breeds wisdom, or rather a common type sense, lol! Like, we know not to touch fire, step on a nail in a board, etc...

I think some types of fear can be useful, but I don't know how the fear of God can be produtive if we approach him in this manner. Now, if I were to be put in a situation where I had to face him, I'd probably be terrified, lol! Who can stand before God, and not tremble a bit?

Much Love,

"Search the scriptures;[OT] for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life." - John 5:39-40 [brackets mine]

And a little further He said in vs 46-47:

"For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.
But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?"

The OT points to Christ, the Word of the Living God.

...And after Moses died, God appointed Joshua to succeed him.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”
Joshua 1:9

Let this scripture be your assurance.
Your mom is who she is; show her who you are and what she can be. The turmoil that you are experiencing will be well worth it in the end. Whatever is happening in your life, you don’t want to neglect the one thing you truly need. His love.

Love and prayers, pattimax
(your still on my list)

I think fear no matter what is a bad thing to have and a weakness... If you fear something, you're going to mess up. You'll freeze, hesitate, choose the wrong answer, dodge the wrong way, lack honesty and so on and so forth... And as we are mere humans anyway we mess up enough as it is..... If your god was real and I knew he was real I wouldn't fear him. I never offer anything or one my fear. Just my way of life..

Who would you rather have fighting next to you in a foxhole under heavy fire? One who is fearless, or one who is very afraid, yet still covers your ass, because it is the right and noble thing to do, and because he/she puts you first?

To me that is a no brainer. I'll take the scardy cat any day...because there is the real courage and intelligence to hopefully keep us both alive and safe.

I may get stupid, he won't.

As far as me personally, I am afraid of God. A bullet might end my life, but God can wipe my existence from the books, as if I never was. So, in your fearless endeavors, remember there are those who are with you that are very afraid, yet try to cover you, because you matter, and it's their job...their duty...:eek:

v/r

Joshua

I took up reading Proverbs through recently for my nightly reading, reading a chapter number for the corresponding day. Anyway, I came across this verse on fear;

"The fear of the LORD tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil." - Proverbs 19:23

Then in the morning, I've been reading through Deuteronomy and found this verse:

"Specially the day that thou stoodest before the LORD thy God in Horeb, when the LORD said unto me, Gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all the days that they shall live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children." - Deuteronomy 4:10

I was struck with the thought of what this fear really is. It really is God saying to us to choose. We will either fear God or fear Man. For in Deuteronomy 3:21-22:

"And I commanded Joshua at that time, saying, Thine eyes have seen all that the LORD your God hath done unto these two kings: so shall the LORD do unto all the kingdoms whither thou passest.
Ye shall not fear them: for the LORD your God he shall fight for you."

Recall that the book of Deuteromony was written for the next generation of the children of Israel because their parents believed the ten spies who feared the giants in the Promised land, rather than taking heed to Joshua and Caleb who believed God to deliver them into Israel's hands. Hence Israel was force to wander the wilderness until that generation died out and now a new generation is being told to conquer the land to be led by Joshua.

So fearing the Lord is really trusting the Lord, giving heed to His plans for us, though we are so used to seeing with our eyes and not the eyes of faith.

To fear God is to obey God, for that demonstrates our faith in God in action. Are we going to fear God, that is regard to God, trusting Him for our good. Or are we going to fear our situation?

The verse in Proverbs says that the fear of the Lord tendeth to life. And that he who has it will be satisfied. It is not a cowering fear toward God, though He is certainly Omnipotent to destroy us all, yet His Loving Nature is such that He has mercy for us. Rather is a protective fear that is for our well being. His commandments are meant for our good. They reflect His Holy Nature.

"Thou shalt keep therefore his statutes, and his commandments, which I command thee this day, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days upon the earth, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, for ever." - Deuteronomy 4:40

You see what He is sayiing here? By obeying Gods commandments we will "Live Long and Prosper!" \V/

"Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation of man."—ECCLESIASTES 12:13.
"If only they would develop this heart of theirs to fear me and to keep all my commandments always."—DEUTERONOMY 5:29.
Fear of God is a feeling Christians should have toward their Maker. One definition of this fear is "an awe and a profound reverence for the Creator and a wholesome dread of displeasing him." Thus, fear of God influences two important aspects of our lives: our attitude toward God and our attitude toward conduct that he hates. Obviously, both aspects are crucial and deserve careful consideration. As Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words points out, for Christians this reverential fear is ‘a controlling motive of life, in matters both spiritual and moral.’

Back