Hair... Advice?

Brian,

Here I go again--been out of that business for about a decade, but there is a process that was beginning to be used here in the States at that time, and I think it is still around. Anything we have here in the way of hair lightening techniques, usually Europe has first. I am trying to recall what the name of that process was (age affecting the inside of my head at least as much as the outside.) Anyway, it was not so harsh on fine hair as standard bleaching techniques. However, it was usually used as a highlighting technique rather that an all-over deal--and as far as I know, the product was not available to the general public.

I will try and remember what it was called. The last salon I worked at recently disbanded, so I can't call 'em up anymore to ask things like this. I thought I'd go ahead and post a response in the meantime, in the event that there is someone else out there reading who might remember what I don't at the moment.

(And there is a certain amount of substance to wil's conclusion, too!) :)

InPeace,
InLove

Sounds great - I'd rather not have to wait another 30 years for the grey to appear, develop, and then fade to white, though. :)

Hi again, Brian--

After a few nights of restorative slumber, I have finally recalled the name of the product that we used to lighten fine hair without so much damage. It was a product by Farouk called "Sunglitz". The first line we used would not lighten all the way to white, but then they came out with a different formula and voila! However, like I was saying, this was about thirteen years ago in the U.S. And it was a highlighting technique, but I used it heavily on a few clients with dark to medium blonde hair, and got some good results. I did some surfing, and it looks like the product is still out there, but I don't know if it has changed. Anyway, maybe you can ask your local colorist about it. (If they laugh really hard, don't come back and embarass me too badly, okay? :D)

Best wishes for a whiter shade of pale. :rolleyes:

InPeace,
InLove

lol... as has been said, bleaching hair that is coloured red is a dodgy task, especially if the red dye is henna based... apart from that 40% peroxide and 45 minutes suffering the agonies of burning ur skin off should see it go white, after that, then u can dye it any colour u like...unless ur hair is in bad condition, and if it is, then u might end up with extensive breakage...

as for bleaching fine hair- as its blond, and fine, ur development time should be about 15-20 minutes, any longer than that and ur hair just might snap off and leave u bald...

stargazer and riche make good strong colours- try em! and jerome russell do a good bleaching kit for guys.. just thought I'd mention it...

Hmmm... interesting. I've been dying my hair black for six years now and I'm contemplating going back to a bright, darkish red again... if I can. I was red for about two years and I'm kind of getting sick of the black now.

I'm a bit scared by the bleaching process though. I don't want my hair to be totally wrecked. And it would take forever. My hair is now mid-back length and is really thick.

I wouldn't do it myself, and I'm still worried about it enough to (so far) keep me from doing it. In Love, if I've been dying my hair for the last 8-9 years but never bleached it and it seems pretty strong, would it make it through the bleaching process OK or would it die? Any ideas? I do not want the bald look. LOL

Hey path--

Red is probably the easiest color to acheive, even on the darkest hair. I don't think you will have to employ "bleach" at all. I don't know whether you have been using a temporary color or a permanent one, but that can make a difference. The trick is not to put semi-permanent color over a permanent one, or you may not get any color change at all--in fact, your hair might even get darker! If you have been using a permanent color, then you may want to shampoo with a stripping agent before you try to go lighter. There are several professional products out there for this purpose, but I have found that a few sessions with something like Prell (if they still sell it) works just as well for a lot less money (Prell will take the wax off your floors!).

The other consideration is the condition of your hair. If it is in good shape (doesn't tangle, break or frizz easily, and you have no other chemical processing such as a body wave), then you shouldn't have too much to worry about. And if your hair naturally contains a good deal of red tones, then you are not likely to have many problems.

That said, I still advise asking your local pro, because I am not up-to-date on the newest products. And it really is worth a few extra bucks if you've got them, because orange is easy to acheive, too! (I am thinking you want that deep auburn-ish look, probably?)

And everyone, unless green is your goal, stay away from ash tones without professional guidance. They can cover up unwanted red really well one time, and turn you into a Martian the next!

InPeace,
InLove

(Edited to add: Path, have you ever tried a henna treatment? It isn't permanent and the results can be a bit unpredictable, but it is kind of fun, it's good for your hair, and the rule about no temp color over permanent does not apply.)

Path_of_one--

I should clarify (or basically correct) something I wrote. I said:

I don't think you will have to employ "bleach" at all.

What I mean is that I don't think you will need a double process, where you lighten the hair first and then apply a tint. But you may need a single-process product that contains peroxide, depending on how dark your natural color is and whether you have been using a permanent tint.

Just thought I'd say that.

InPeace,
InLove

Thanks, In Love!

I'm going to try the Prell route and try washing it out that way for a little while, then go in stages. I'll do a dark, dark red over the faded black first and hopefully over time I'll wind up a dark auburn/red. :)

It's just time for a 'lil change. :D

Path_of_one--

I should clarify (or basically correct) something I wrote. I said:

What I mean is that I don't think you will need a double process, where you lighten the hair first and then apply a tint. But you may need a single-process product that contains peroxide, depending on how dark your natural color is and whether you have been using a permanent tint.

Just thought I'd say that.

InPeace,
InLove

That might get a "tint" of red... but that won't be TRUE red like ferrari red... :D I think you have to "strip" your colour to get any real clear vibrant green, red, pink, blue, purple.....

Hi All--

path_of_one--I hope everything turns out well for you. I might add one more thought, and hope it is not belated. Watch out for the "overly-purply-based" reds. They will give you a maroonish look (which I have yet to witness occuring naturally in anyone's hair) rather than a deep "Celtic" ;) :) auburn.

And thanks for the link, Brian--it spells out the basics of double-processing. Like I say, I hope you don't have to go that route since you have a fine texture.

Angel--yep, you are right about those vibrant colors--gotta take the hair up lighter than ferrari red if that's what your goal is.

InPeace,
InLove

I know nothing about coloring...but did happen across some henna sites...and if I were to color me thinks that is the direction I'd go....the reds, blonds, brunettes and black look gorgeous....

of course my anti chemical bent tends to bias my thoughts in this matter....

(as if henna and red wine and active ingredients in other herbs aren't chemicals....)

Back