Revelation: the book

Hey, Thomas, I'm just playin' with ideas here, based on the ubiquity of what is now called "entheogens" in nearly all tribal cultures. So, hang cool man.:cool: :D Speaking of that ubiquity, here's a good overview of just how many cultures we're talking about, (the piece points out how Christianity nipped it in the bud in some places during the "witch trials" while at the same time suggesting some vague Biblical references to it ;) ).

Entheogen: Information from Answers.com

take care, earl

Kindest Regards, all!

What a trippin' thread!

Yo, Thomas! You got some interesting points, may I contribute?

My view, influenced from my Hermetic days, is that psychtropics came into use by the shaman when they lost the ability to 'do their thing' naturally. I do hold, however, that the veil that separates the worlds grows more dense and opaque, so that's no fault of the shaman as such, but I am a believer that the body can manufacture what it requires and with the right discipline and training, you can get there 'naturally' ...
An interesting observation, the veil grows more dense and opaque. According to Abrahamic tradition that would make sense, considering the fall, the flood, Babel, etc. Is it certain ancient Pagan traditions that speak of how the heavens were pulling away?

With regard to Revelations can't say about the psychedelics ... but would question certain assumptions ... such as the idea that because the book is so fantastic, it has to be drug-induced, which is no argument at all, really.
Agreed.

I have, I will admit, a profound skepticism in this regard. I grew up in a time when LSD was freely available, and anyone who did or said anything vaguely original or extraordinary had to be a head ... because it was impossible to conceive of someone who was 'straight' being original or extraordinary on their own account (how 'cool', 'loving' and fantastically 'elitist' we were!). And the vision induced was not as arbitrary as people say, you're psychological state going in had a great part to play in where you went, as it were ... I think the shaman is equivalent to the therapist today, it's all psychodynamics. A dangerous game, anyway, as Pandora's Box informs us...
:D I caught the tail end of that era, but enough to agree with you.

So in short, I think the claim that because certain plants grew in the region, that explains 'Revelations', as being something of a cop out and a cheap shot.
Well...not having read the thread through entirely, I'm not certain what would bring about such harsh criticism. The thought that crossed my mind while reading this post resounds right back to the posts I did on the Applied Anthropology thread about the psychotropic effects of grain, particularly spoiled grain. I didn't mention there, but specifically the psychotropic effects of spoiled rye grain. Trying not to appear as though applying stereotypical reasoning, but isn't rye a rather "familiar" crop to Palestine?

My point being that it is difficult to draw a line demarcating where the "junkies" end and the straighties begin, chiefly because effectively everyone was "under the influence," and I submit we remain so to this day. I agree the matter is no argument...on the basis that it is all-pervading. Can't call the kettle black if you're a big black pot...

The 'apocalyptic' is a genre of Hebraic literature that arose after the fall of the Hebrew nation state. We have Daniel, but before him there are the visions of the prophets, Ezekiel, Enoch, etc., and there are other apocryphal works, and perhaps works that are lost to us, but circulating at the time, and the author of Revelations would have had some if not all of this material to draw on. As Revelations leans so heavily on Daniel, was Daniel a 'head' too? And must we assume that all the visions of all the religious traditions had recourse to psychotropics? The simpler solution, to me, is in this case the author drew on an existing genre when inspired to write for his audience, and the immemdiate source would be Daniel.
I am thinking it is a matter of degree, that both are likely true. No doubt in my mind there are some religious traditions that draw specifically on the use of psychotropics, although I am thinking largely of what would be considered aboriginal religions. I also agree that the genre is as well as I understand, pretty unique to Judaism, at least in ancient times.

The theology is Christian in the sense of ultimately it's not as dualistic as the gnostic sects of its time, and the cosmology is, I think, down to Daniel? Here we get into difficulties ... supposing elements of gnostic cosmology are drawn from older, Hebraic sources? I mean the angelology of the Jews was heavily influenced by Zoroastrainism, the 'religion-of-state' when the author(s) of Daniel was active ... the more we uncover the past, the more we see traces of the exchange and influence of ideas ... eg the Patristics were heavily influenced by Greek philosophy, but their fidelity to Christ is never questioned.
This is a scad outside the realm of my understanding, but I have confidence you guys have a clue about what you are saying here, so I'll go along for the ride. Thanks for the tip!

But I think that the events in Revelation relate solely to things happening at the time it was written. It is an apocolyptical tirade, with gnostic, sort of proto-kabbalistic political overtones. ( -China Cat)
Absolutely. It was written to an audience coming under increasing persecution.
OK, it's been a little while since I delved deeply into Revelations. Perhaps one of my greatest boo boos as it were, was to begin my Christian journey with a reading of Revelations. For which I was chided, "now you know, there's no turning back."

I can appreciate what it is the both of you are implying. I'm not convinced. Even taking Daniel, and one might as well add Isaiah and the remainder of the OT prophets (esp. love Joel). They are called "prophets" for a reason. Perhaps some may try to contrive various connections through history to explain away certain passages, but I have always found the explanations to be forced. In other words, there is far too much "yet to occur" contained in the various prophetic passages, including Revelations.

Further, given my take on that particular book, I think it pretty well shouts down the concept of "rapture" all on its own. G-d will try His gold in the fire, and separate the silver from the dross...ain't nobody flying out with a free ride. I consider it a given, that every Christian worth the name will have their mettle tested. I think and feel and hold faith in the events of Revelation being the threshold leading into the promises of Isaiah.

BTW, dreams of future events are not necessarily null and void if chemically induced. Wow, I was just reminded of Rachel and the mandrake!

Is it true that Martin Luther died in the WC? ( -Prober)
Not sure ... but he spent a lot of time there ... the man had problems ...
Don't we all?

Books in Scripture often take their titles from the first words, so this should be "The Revelation of Jesus Christ..." there is no claim to authorship in the text, and although tradition ascribes it to the Apostle John, scholarship shows that to be a slim claim. Sso it's usually called Revelations or by the Greek Apocalypse.
Yes, this is a little sticky. I kinda like the name "Revelations" though, as in "revealing." Wherein I get a tickle when some Christians claim (as I have often heard) that we are not supposed to understand what it all means. Somebody had a wierd sense of irony, and I doubt it was the author of the book.

I can't help but be reminded of the cryptic way in which Nostradamus had to set forth his quatrains. Not implying that he is/was of the calibur of John or whoever the author of Rev was, but intriguing. In that sense there is merit to the suggestion of being written by and for a persecuted group largely in exile, just as Nostradamus was a closet Jew who was by political necessity and expediency a Catholic.

OK, but sorry guys, 'shrooms are off the menu, an' if you want snails, then you can round 'em up yourselves. (Anybody seen "Delicatesen?"
Awwww...I was so looking forward to "getting pissed" on fly agaric! I would've settled for psilocybin tea... :D

Guess I'll have to settle for some ergot spores on a corned beef on spoiled rye sandwich. ;)

What's intereseting about Revelation is that it's a veritable hodgepodge of Near Eastern mythology. We have creation myths, sea dragons, holy wars, royal births, Egyptian afterlife myths, Isis stuff, Horus and Seth, the divine court, wisdom and the throne of God, exodian plagues, angelic warriors, cosmic hierarchies and conflagrations...all set to the tune of the glorious martyrdom of the saints. This guy had a hell of an imagination!

Chris

What's intereseting about Revelation is that it's a veritable hodgepodge of Near Eastern mythology. We have creation myths, sea dragons, holy wars, royal births, Egyptian afterlife myths, Isis stuff, Horus and Seth, the divine court, wisdom and the throne of God, exodian plagues, angelic warriors, cosmic hierarchies and conflagrations...all set to the tune of the glorious martyrdom of the saints. This guy had a hell of an imagination!

Chris
Or a hell of a vision, depending on perspective and influence.

Thank you, Juan, for your thoughts added to this thread. You're quite right to imply that just becasue a "vision" may have been facilitated by a psychedelic, that does not automatically invalidate it. I neither advocate their use nor have I used them. However, I find the accounts of psychedelic users who have used them with appropriate intent and support (in true sense of "entheogenic searching") fascinating for the spiritual insights they've sometimes brought. For anyone interested in reading some of thees there are 2 recent books I'd recommend: "Higher Wisdom" is a 2005 book which is a compilation of fascinating first-person accounts from the pioneers of 60's psychedeilc research and among the founders of a branch of psychology referred to as transpersonal psychology. The other is a 2006 book by Stanislav Grof-the chief researcher into psychological applications of LSD, etc. and a leading figure in transpersonal psychology: "When the Impossible Happens: Adventures in Non-ordinary Reality." It's an autobiographical accounting of just what the title implies: adventures in non-ordinary reality. take care, earl

I have come to think of the Revelation as both an historical and a perennial one. That is to say, kind of along the lines of the OP--in order to fully grasp its meaning, we eventually need to understand our own personal battles. I think the fact that much of it echoes not only Daniel, but also Zoroaster is proof enough that the historical element is just as important a "layer" of reading. In so much of ancient symbolic writing, including Hebrew, every letter has so many of these layers of meaning. If Nero Caesar can be historically and symbolically linked to the abomination in the Temple, but the message of Revelation is perennial, then I'd say that the literalistic reading of the book is part of the answer--especially if we remember that evil is symbolically overcome not by might (physical war, military force, carnal power) but by Love, the Spirit of the slain Lamb.

This is how I put it together in my head, at least for the moment. Just rambling, I guess.

InPeace,
InLove

I need to proofread my stuff more often. I meant to say "the antichrist"--not "the abomination in the Temple". Sorry.

InPeace,
InLove

Did some more web searching re theological interpretations of this book & found this interesting discussion of various theories as well as some history. What really amused me was it noted that 1 of the theories was that the author was under the influence of a hallucinogen, wormwood.:eek: See I'm not so cracked as you all might think.:D earl

Book of Revelation

Hi Earl -

I was looking around also, and noticed that Huston Smith was a contributor to Higher Wisdom. I dug a little deeper, and came across this from an interview:

"SMITH: Well, shamanism is immensely fascinating, and extremely important in the history of religion. But sanctity one does not associate with shamans. They have immense power, and it can be misused as well as used. I think on balance it's been used. So I value them, but they're neither -- what shall I say? -- saints nor philosophers...

... Most shamans are very much linked with the people, in helping them with practical problems of life. But the aspect of religion that has to do with virtues and compassion and loving-kindness, now, this kind of thing is when I speak of profundity, getting into those waters. The shamans, that's not their forte. They have a different role... "
Huston Smith: The Psychology of Religious Experience

and this, the whole interview is worth a read:
Q: ... are drugs the lazy man's kensho?"

HS: Nick, I understand completely what you're saying. If there is one undisputed fact in this very complicated area, it is that there is no such thing as "the drug experience." All are conditioned by what students of the subject call "set and setting." By 'set' they mean the personality and personal history of the person ingesting; by 'setting', the circumstance under which the ingestion occurs. My important entheogen experiences enabled me to see regions of the world that I already believed in but had not directly experienced. Entheogens could be considered a "lazy man's kensho," but we must always remember that Zen masters say that kensho is not the point. It is only a doorway for moving the kensho experience into one's daily life and experiencing in that daily life the wonder of kensho. As the saying goes, "Drawing water and hewing wood - this is the marvelous activity." That requires constant, ongoing work. Even the Buddha after his enlightenment experience continued to meditate to the end of his life."
Council on Spiritual Practices - Cleansing the Doors of Perception

I know I sound down on the whole thing, but that's not the case ... I think I'm in the area of the 'big experience' is not what religion is about, not what Christ was about, not what Buddha was about ... but today it is how we in a materialist/consumerist culture are programmed to measure religion, as a personal benefit (otherwise what's the point?) and an endorsement (see how cool I am) ... everybody wants to be a mystic ... and I regard it as 'spiritual materialism' ... or as I think Huston Smith said, 'coffee table spirituality'.

The question then, of whether the author of Revelations used psychotropics or not, is really a red herring, because we'll never know ... the real question is whether the Book is of any use or value to its audience ... and I think we can say, and this puts it on difficult terrain, that its use is both shamanic and religious – and in this we have to distinguish between psychodrama and prophecy.

In that sense I do not read Revelations, nor Daniel, as rightly belonging to the genre of 'prophecy', but more to the psychodramatic, both are an exhortation to stand firm and ride out the storm, and both offer an eschatalogical vision of the 'new day' after the clouds have cleared.

If we treat it as pure prophecy, then I think it fails in its essential objective, and certainly we'll have trouble making it stick. Every age recognises itself in the symbolism, but like Nostradamus, one can read it and ask "and your point is?"

But if we treat it as psychodrama, then it is applicable at all times, and everywhere, because humanity is essentially the same. So we can look at the world and see it according to the symbology of revelation, or we can look in the mirror, and see the symbols of our own struggle, and now I realise I'm right with Earl's first post when he said:

The seven seal spoken of to me represent the traditional 7 chakra system in Hinduism whereby as spiritual realization advances, each of the 7 chakras are engaged and in the process of opening to allow the flow of Divine grace to come through, the individual often faces the personal demons" associated with each chakra that require the purging I spoke of.

He and I would no doubt nitpick over the terminology – my Christocentrism says that the chakras can be aligned 'in a twinkling' if God so wills, and no amount of alignment will induce the 'flow of Divine Grace' if God so wills ... but no doubt that's not quite what he's saying, nor is what I've said quite how the Divine works ...

... I would also say the seven-headed dragon is us, too ...

... In fact in one discussion I had, I was of the opinion that 'mystical experience' enables one to look down, as far as one can see up, and looking down, into the depths of the naked psyche, is not something to be entertained lightly, and why many are apparently denied a mystical experience ... it's not that they can't handle God, it's that they can't handle themselves ... and that's what ascetic training is all about ... we're into shaman territory again.

... and again we're into why the monasteries, east and west, have kept quiet about psychodynamic technique and prayer ... and why there have been significant casualty figures among those who journey to India etc., seeking 'enlightenment' at the hands of those who are, perhaps, not so clued in as they purport to be.

In the words of W.C. Fields, "Never give a sucker an even break."

Thomas

Very interesting stuff. I'd have to land closer to Earl's take on this than to those of others.

The use of natural substances to "push" mystic communicators into the spirit realm is really a holdover from the pre-city state/ancient times from whence modern westernized civilization eventually came. Consequently we have few instances of it in use for religious purposes from after those times. Usage of such materials evolved into self-medication practices to relieve pain and stress in our modern world. One could say that knowledge of the use of such substances really came from native and indigenous peoples in the main.

In these ancient times the people lived in Nature and utilized her products to induce worshipful activities. These activities also usually involved song and dance also to harmonize the tribal communities in support of their shamanic advocates. As the Graeful Dead proved to us more recently, you can really dance and spin well when you're high on stuff. It still goes on at "rave " parties I understand. Very tribal

Most prominent ancient usage was among nomadic/herding peoples and desert peoples; but, there is also widespread evidence of their use in the S. Pacific, the ancient Americas, in the foothills of the Himalayas (soma), and even the ancient Hebrew priests were known to incorporate Mandrake Root into their rituals at times. It is a mild hallucinogen.

Yes, doing drugs can enhance spiritual communications up to the point that diminishing returns of effects sets in. It's too bad that the largest change in all of this was the advent of alcoholic libation ceremonies at many locations in the near East about 4,000-6,000 years ago. This set the stage for the switching of preferred intoxication modalities from roots and herbs to fermented fruits and grains. Very biblical when you think about it all. Somewhat like the conversion of Gilgamesh's friend Enkidu from a crude beast into a "civilized" companion through ritualized sexual practices with a Sumerian Temple prostitute.

The rise of the city state cultures was all about creating and perpetuating "urban civilizations" out of nomadic and tribal cultures IMO. My take on Revelation is that it tries to bring about the apocalyptic versions of how the cultures that arose from the ancient city states might come to their end. There was a guy named Gibbon who wrote some great stuff about all this concerning the Roman Empire. Different book, same subject matter.

flow....:p

I'd agree with you Thomas, that drugs are not the key to any serious spiritual advancement-more like a jump-start (for some people). Some of those same contributors to "Higher Wisdom" did speak of how they had had such an intense spiritual experience it had a lasting effect on their personality-sort of akin to that some have experienced with near-death experiences. In fact, the thing I find fascinating re some of these spiritually-oriented drug trips is how similar they sound to some NDE's. Almost seems like you need to "get out of your right mind/body" to obtain a profounder view.:D But as to drugs, like they say what goes up, usually must come down-so no permanent transformation that way. I like what one of my favorite American Buddhist writers, Surya Das, said re seeking any type of "spiritual high," drug or otherwise: that the point of enlightenment was not to get high (seek a particular experience), but to get free. In Christian parlance, we could say the same thing as re surrendering to Christ. Surrender at its root does not look for any particular human-made end or it wouldn't be surrender. When I threw out that comment initially re the author of the Book of Revelation being on psychedelics, I didn't actually expect to find someone had seriously suggested that theory before, so that's why I was both surprised & amused. Guess seriously deranged minds think alike.;) have a good one, earl

No chance any of it was a bit moldy, perhaps? ;)

Or did you hafta pay extra for that kind ... :D

~zag

Zag...the white mold was the worst tasting but it did more to you. The green stuff kept you mellow and smiling, and tasted a little like broccoli. That's why Geo. the 1st. didn't like it. He LIKED to be nervous I think.

They both came free with the sandwich.

flow....:p

Back