A Theosophist in Southern California

Didn't Rudolph Steiner write "The Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkrutz" ?

Yo,

Thanks for the welcome. I hope to hear your additions to our Theosophical discussion, which is now taking place elsewhere.

Any landing where you survive is a good landing. Any landing where they can use the airplane again is a great landing. (I had a "great" landing tonight, even if I did overshoot the taxiway-exit a tiny bit....)

I "feel" you on the landing situation. I used to work at an Airport and I have talked to alot of the pilots and stwearts and stewardess's(did I spell that right?:) ) about landings.

Personally, I do not like to fly. My father loves it though (imagine that).

Anyway, I was reffering to the movie "crash" If you get the chance, check it out, its a good movie.
:)

I'm sure you will hear from me.
:D

By the way, what is a Theosophist?
(Please give me the "nutshell" version, because the reading on some of these discussions is becoming rather time consumig.)
:rolleyes:

Mark,

You said,

"Seems interesting how they all tie together."

--> Theosophy teaches that all religions came from a common source. Is this commonality of all religions that makes Theosophy so appealing to me.

I am glad Nirvana fits into your belief system. How about Heaven? Theosophy teaches that both Heaven and Nirvana happen. Does that fit into your belief system too?

Well Nick, you must understand that I view words and concepts as static symbols that merely point at that which is. In seeking the Absolute, the Divine Presence words can be helpful, but aren't things in themselves. In trying to reify ideas we imprison ourselves. Rumi said that his words were a flopping fish; you may eat of it, and imagine you are eating flesh but all you consume is imagination, which is not the reality of the Divine.

Peace
Mark

I concur, Paladin. It seems to me that the more we try to capture truth with language alone, the more it slip-slides away. :)

InPeace,
InLove

I cannot imagine how any form of Chrisitianity, even an esoteric one, can absorb the idea of karma and reincarnation, since both concepts fly right in the face of the idea of the forgiveness of sins. If you can see a connection, please let me know.
Maybe I know not enough about any of it...as I see them complimenting each other quite well. As I understand it in Christianity you are only forgiven of your sins by request and repentence. Now I for one don't completely by the aspect of simply saying a some words and promising to be better and then heading out to sin again and head back for the some more forgiveness. I believe we are punished by our sins and not for them. ie what goes around comes around, my actions set the universe in motion to eventually come back and bite me, if not in this life maybe the next.

Now on the flip side if we are to pay for our indescretions karmally (I know that isn't right, but my mind is enjoying the thought of being covered in carmel, carmelly for my sins right now) and reincarnated into a life which retribution is made....those would be for sins we have not atoned for, have not been forgiven for by the universe...the keeper of the scales..

I see us having to pay our credit card debts prior to getting a better rate or more credit...I see us having to own upto our mistakes in order to climb the ladder of enlightenment...

Yo,

A Theosophist is someone who studies Theosophy. Theosophy is:
  • a collection of religious and philosophical teachings that view humanity as constantly evolving to a higher level
  • a philosophy (or "path") by which we can raise ourselves to a higher spiritual level
  • A collection of religious and philosophical teachings (called the Ancient Wisdom) which has been periodically re-released down the centuries.
Theosophy embodies a view of the universe, including theories on the origin and mysteries of the universe.

The Theosophical Society is a world-wide organization which studies a set of religious and philosophical ideas, and tries to show how these beliefs are common to all religions.

The Theosophical Society was founded in New York City in 1875, and today there are groups in some seventy countries. 30,000 people around the world call themselves Theosophists. Members (and non-members) have the opportunity to join in local discussions, study sessions, lectures, and self-study. Theosophical libraries, bookstores, study-centers, and retreat-centers are available.

~~~

My landing this morning was less than average. (I kind of "clunked" it in....)

Wil,

You said,

"I believe we are punished by our sins and not for them."

--> That is an interesting way of looking at it. Perhaps this is the same as enjoying/suffering the fruits of our efforts vs. being punished by a revenge-seeking God.

Mark,

I have not heard of that book by Steiner. Is it part of Jungian Psychology?

~~~

Theosophy teaches that, at a higher level (far above the physical level), we will be able to have discussions merely by transferring thoughts. It has been described as throwing a thought at someone like a lightning bolt and they catch it. Words and voacbulary are not used, just pure thought. I am very much looking forward to experiencing this someday.

Perhaps this is the same as enjoying/suffering the fruits of our efforts vs. being punished by a revenge-seeking God.
Oh yeah, no revenge-seeking, lightning tossing, flood spilling, plague inducing G-d in my book....more yin/yan stuff me thinks...

but what I really need is you to shoot holes in my understanding that Christianity, Karma and Reincarnation may coexist...

Nick the Pilot said:
Theosophy teaches that, at a higher level (far above the physical level), we will be able to have discussions merely by transferring thoughts. It has been described as throwing a thought at someone like a lightning bolt and they catch it. Words and voacbulary are not used, just pure thought. I am very much looking forward to experiencing this someday.

I'd say that something along these lines already exists in practice.;) There are some kinks to be worked out, of course. And I think one must turn off the receptor unit on a regular basis, else the noise level might become harmful! :D

InPeace,
InLove

Wil,

You said,

"...what I really need is you to shoot holes in my understanding that Christianity, Karma and Reincarnation may coexist..."

--> I'm game! First step: What is your definition of Christianity? (You would be amazed at the different answers people give on this one.)

I'm game! First step: What is your definition of Christianity? (You would be amazed at the different answers people give on this one.)
Well my thoughts are on my sleeve all over this board, but in a nutshell the essence and teachings in biblical stories including the life of Jesus is my foundation. I use them as a springboard to understand life around me and search for meanings that apply to everyday life from these scriptures and others. As a Christian, Jesus and his growth in understanding is what I follow. As you indicated others milage may vary.

wil and Nick--

It probably would not surprise either of you that I started to post a thread on this very subject this morning, but I found that communicating my question in writing/language was somewhat of a hindrance. So I am following along. Thanks!

InPeace,
InLove

wil and Nick--

It probably would not surprise either of you that I started to post a thread on this very subject this morning, but I found that communicating my question in writing/language was somewhat of a hindrance. So I am following along. Thanks!

InPeace,
InLove
I had to come back and reread this after I searched for your new thread wondering why I missed it....heck no need to tie up Nick's introduction or for you to follow along...join the fray start the thread, soon as I pick up my stuff from the 5,000 I'll be right over!

Hey wil--why don't one of you start it somewhere if you like? Like I said, I'm running into difficulty with the language. I might take too long. But I'd love to at least follow the discussion. Maybe some of the research I've been doing here (mostly on how to start) will provide me with a way to enter the conversation (with language, that is ;)).

Pick up your stuff at Studio 5000? Sounds mighty suspicious, wil. :D

InPeace,
InLove

Hey wil--why don't one of you start it somewhere if you like? Like I said, I'm running into difficulty with the language. I might take too long. But I'd love to at least follow the discussion. Maybe some of the research I've been doing here (mostly on how to start) will provide me with a way to enter the conversation (with language, that is ;)).

Pick up your stuff at Studio 5000? Sounds mighty suspicious, wil. :D

InPeace,
InLove
You silly girl....you can't put it into words yet are soooo much more eloquent than I.... and I who has not been able to ever read a woman's mind...hence my singilarity...am supposed to figure out which what you are speaking of??

follow your suspicions...I just had a thought...

Mark,

I have not heard of that book by Steiner. Is it part of Jungian Psychology?

~~~

Theosophy teaches that, at a higher level (far above the physical level), we will be able to have discussions merely by transferring thoughts. It has been described as throwing a thought at someone like a lightning bolt and they catch it. Words and vocabulary are not used, just pure thought. I am very much looking forward to experiencing this someday.

Nick,

Rudolph Steiner started the movement known as Anthroposophy. As I understand he was a student of HP Blavatsky. The story named was about Christian Rosenkrutz the supposed founder, or at least one of the founders of the Rosicrucian movement.

Peace
Mark

Okay, wil. I'll work on it. In the meantime, either of you feel free to delve into the subject somewhere if you want to get it going. I was having some trouble deciding where to put it--maybe B&S? Or LC? or I dunno....Comparative? (I don't know if it would work there).

There are so many angles to look at. Karma, dharma, grace, salvation, nirvana, reincarnation, heaven...it's extremely broad. Don't know where to start.

I will look for any threads that may come of this. If none do, then maybe I will post something when and if I can put together a fairly organized post. You know, it may be that one thread won't do it. We might have to break it up over several studies.

Anyway, whatever y'all think.

And Paladin--thanks for your comments. I made this association as well. Something must be sinking in my little pea brain after all this time in CR. :)

InPeace,
InLove

Wil,

Well, I guess we can just get into it: Do you think Jesus has the power to take away your sins?

It has been mentioned that we might start a new thread on this. If you want to, start the thread, and we will put a link to it here, in this thread. Or perhaps an Admin can divide out this part for a new thread.

Back