Alternate Realities/Alternate Universes

I got your riddle solved (the new one anyway). The first finger is #1, so that is why you are one number off. When counting backwards, you will end up with 1, because the first finger is one, so you really have to count down from 9.

P.S. JJM, I think that speed would be a variable in time rather than the source, though we couldn't really now, because we are always moving. Your knowledge theory also makes a bit of sense.

Keen mind

DrChaos said:
I got your riddle solved (the new one anyway). The first finger is #1, so that is why you are one number off. When counting backwards, you will end up with 1, because the first finger is one, so you really have to count down from 9.

P.S. JJM, I think that speed would be a variable in time rather than the source, though we couldn't really now, because we are always moving. Your knowledge theory also makes a bit of sense.

Congratulations, DrC. You exhibit good analytic grasp. Would you like to agree with me that a lot of troubles come from poor connection and poor transition.

Correct me, mathemticians here, the trouble or challenge of the puzzle is mixing up ordinal and cardinal numbers. Addition and the other arithmetic operations are only among cardinal numbers....

About your PS to JJIM, I confess that is too deep already for me.

Susma Rio Sep

JJM wrote:

However I think that there was something in Drchaos's statement that makes it slightly differ from both the Hindu Ideas and those of the Mormons. that is that it is not through human progression in their actions and spirituality that this new use of the brain would happen but rather the actual act of have another generation that turns that generations brains up a bit. however if he would be kind enough to help clarify that It would be appreciated

Then, DrChaos wrote:

I'm guessing you are referring to how the generation of people would "brain up". Well, think about it this way, we teach our kids everything the world already knows (or we try to). This means, that unless their generation learns nothing, then they learn something new, which is passed to their kids. So, eventually we know everything through the tedious accumulation of knowledge through the generations. Makes sense to me. The only problem is that it is human nature to try to learn more, so what happens when we know everything? I'm guessing Apocolypse in some form, maybe just the loss of our knowledge, maybe the destruction of Earth, who knows.

Well, in Mormon theology, spirituality and actual intelligence on the order of the stuff you learn in school both play into the equation. The belief is that one must progress spiritually in order to gain perfection.

However, there is also a belief that "The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth." That is from the same book of revelations I wrote about in my earlier post, the Doctrine and Covenants, Section 93, Verse 36. Mormons literally believe that, in the sense of what you know, you can take it with you and that whatever you learn in this life goes with you into the next life.

This makes sense when you realize that Mormonism is actually a very materially-oriented belief system. Again in the Doctrine and Covenants, 130:22, it is taught that "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's; the Son also;...." In this belief system, this statement is justified in the next section of the same book (D & C 131:7), where it says: "There is no such thing as immaterial matter. All spirit is matter, but it is more fine or pure, and can only be discerned by purer eyes." This, I suppose you could say, marries the spiritual and the material, as they believe one becomes "purer" by progressing spiritually. Anyway, Mormons do believe that God has a body, as does Christ.

How all this connects to the idea that one progresses to the point of becoming like a god, or in fact to become a god, is hinted at in a book, The Book of Abraham, from another Mormon scripture, the Pearl of Great Price. The history of this book is fairly convoluted and extremely controversial, but for this discussion it is just necessary to know that faithful Mormons believe it to have been written by Abraham and translated from a papyrus by Joseph Smith, the founder of the religion. Anyway in chapter 3, verse 19 of the Book of Abraham, Abraham writes: "And the Lord said unto me: These two facts do exist, that there are two spirits, one being more intelligent than the other; there shall be another more intelligent than they; I am the Lord thy God, I am more intelligent than they all."

Now, this is where things become a bit odd, and probably more than a bit contradictory; still, the belief is that a man (and only a man; women are believed to be able to become gods as well, but only on the coattails of a man, and it is something the church does not talk about and gets upset about if someone does talk about it) living on this earth can, if he is good enough and obedient enough, go on after this life to become even more good and obedient and earn the right to be a God in his own right. The question, of course, arises as to how he can do that if God (Heavenly Father, as the Mormons call him) is the most intelligent, how can another become a god and, presumably, as omniscient as God is. And, going back to the idea that God was once a man, it also begs the question of whether he is more intelligent than the former man who became his God. Of course, the church authorities will not address that issue, claiming that knowledge of it is not required for us, here and now, for our salvation. But it makes a person wonder.

The point I'm trying to make here, in this longwinded and roundabout way, is that both spirituality and actual knowledge are considered necessary by the Mormon belief system to gain the highest degree of glory, as they term it. This, to the point that Brigham Young actually taught that it was just as appropriate to give a lecture on geology or chemistry in a church meeting (as long, he said, as the principles lectured on were "correct") as it was to talk about the nature of God, or about salvation, or any other spiritual subject that a person would be used to hearing about in church. This aspect of Young's teaching is played down these days, but the fact remains that it is a part of the church's tradition.

Thanks, both of you, for bringing this question out. Writing about it has helped me clarify in my own mind some of the issues surrounding these aspects of Mormon theology. I guess, by way of disclaimer, since I am getting a bit deep into some of these things, I should say that I was once baptized in the Mormon church, but I no longer practice that faith.

Census with computers and Internet

Dear Little:

You are a Mormon and knowledgeable about your faith and its observances.

I read that the Mormon church is gathering records of all people who have ever lived, from the beginning of mankind to the present and unto the future.

How do I find out whether they have already obtained my biodata and maybe even curriculum vitae. It will be very flattering to me to learn of my inclusion in their genealogical listings.

May I suggest if they have not yet enlisted computer experts and Internet experts to do so, because with computers and the Internet nowadays their data gathering enterprise will be much faster and more comprehensive.

Susma Rio Sep

Genealogy & LDS

Susma Rio Sep said:
Dear Little:

I read that the Mormon church is gathering records of all people who have ever lived, from the beginning of mankind to the present and unto the future.

How do I find out whether they have already obtained my biodata and maybe even curriculum vitae. It will be very flattering to me to learn of my inclusion in their genealogical listings.

May I suggest if they have not yet enlisted computer experts and Internet experts to do so, because with computers and the Internet nowadays their data gathering enterprise will be much faster and more comprehensive.

Susma Rio Sep

The easy way would be to go into one of their Family History centers. I believe all the data is available there (or at least indexes). You might also check out the church's website - I believe there was talk at one time of their making at least the historical genealogy available that way. (I was researching my family history a number of years ago, and ran across references to them doing that).

Susma Rio Sep said:
Dear Little:

Just a small correction Susma: as I stated at the end of my post, while I was baptized into the Mormon church I no longer practice that religion. The things I have posted here concerning Mormonism are the understandings I gleaned from teachings while I was attending that church.

Also, brucegdc's advice is as good as any I could give about inquiring into the church's geneaological activities. Many non-Mormons take advantage of the records they have collected.

Any assist to CIA?

brucegdc said:
The easy way would be to go into one of their Family History centers. I believe all the data is available there (or at least indexes). You might also check out the church's website - I believe there was talk at one time of their making at least the historical genealogy available that way. (I was researching my family history a number of years ago, and ran across references to them doing that).

Good, I will look up Mormon websites.

In the meantime, I will offer this bit of advice to the CIA and all the intelligence establishments:

"Go, search the genealogical data of the Mormon church. A very simple and economical and perhaps much more productive approach than the billions and billions spent to obtain the modicum of intelligence that Saddam had the intention to produce WMDs."

Hahahahahahahahahaha...

Susma Rio Sep

littlemissattitude,

I know you no longer practice the faith but do Mormons really believe that Joseph Smith put all of these ancient writings into a hat and then translated them using magic stones out of a hat? No offence intended but it was just something I heard and I wandered.

Tablets of stone

What I remember of the drafting of the Ten Commandments of the Jews, which became binding also on Christians:

Moses went up to Mount Sinai to get them from God. He stayed so long up there waiting for God to finish engraving the commandments on the stone tablets. The people below got restless, unruly; so his brother, Aaron, fashioned a Golden Calf to keep them busy while they waited for the commandments to be issued. When Moses got down he was mad and dashed the tablets on the ground, breaking them. He had to go up again for a second set of tablets.

Susma Rio Sep

JJM said:
littlemissattitude,

I know you no longer practice the faith but do Mormons really believe that Joseph Smith put all of these ancient writings into a hat and then translated them using magic stones out of a hat? No offence intended but it was just something I heard and I wandered.

Certainly no offense taken, JJM.

I never heard anything about a hat, as far as I can recall, in official church teachings. It is however, a prominent feature of many stories about Joseph Smith.

As far as the "magic stones" are concerned, this is probably a reference to the Urim and Thummim. According to information found on the official church website (lds.org), "Urim and Thummim" means "Lights and Perfections" in Hebrew. This source (the Bible Dictionary accessible on the official website) calls the Urim and Thummim "an instrument prepared of God" in order to assist seers "in obtaining revelation from the Lord and in translating languages".

References to the Urim and Thummim are not limited to Mormon scripture, and are also found in the Old Testament (including Exodus 28:30 and Leviticus 8:8, among other references). Urim and Thummim is apparently a class of object rather than one unique instrument, according to the Bible Dictonary on the official Mormon website. According to official doctrine, Joseph Smith used one when he translated the Book of Mormon as well as in the obtaining of other revelations.

In the book Joseph Smith - History, chapter 1, verse 35, contained in the Mormon scripture called the Pearl of Great Price, the Urim and Thummim is described as "two stones in silver bows...fastened to a breastplate".

That is the official story. Lots of myth and legend has grown up in addition to this, some among Mormons and some within the community of non-Mormons and ex-Mormons. Because the church - very controversially - limits access to its official archives, it is really difficult to distinguish fact from fiction within this extra information.

Hope that answers your question.

What I like about Mormonism...

What I like about Mormonism is the practice of having several simultaneous wives.

The U.S. government stopped that. Sad.

Muslims also practice polygyny: four wives and innumerable concubines.

What does my wife say about my favorable attitude towards polygyny?

She says to get her permission if and when it is allowed in law.

What are the merits of polygyny?

Many women who are otherwise without any husband will have an easier time attaining the marital status, i.e., getting a husband. Isn't there something in the Bible about several women asking to be with a guy, even promising to work for him in return for the privilege.

A guy with several wives can get his business routines attended better with his wives than with employees.

Guys like me who feel sad for unwedded women can practice charity by wedding all women who otherwise would go without any man at all in society. Good for the women and for me. I read that Mohammed married many of his generals' widows for philanthropic reasons; and I read also that the Jews advocate the practice of a man marrying his brother's widow -- certainly a good service to the widow.

I think polygyny, several female partners to one male partner, is more consistent with the nature of humans than one on one.

Susma Rio Sep

Originally posted by Susma Rio Sep
Many women who are otherwise without any husband will have an easier time attaining the marital status, i.e., getting a husband. Isn't there something in the Bible about several women asking to be with a guy, even promising to work for him in return for the privilege.

What about areas where the inverse ratio is true (more males than females in the region)? Would you accept polyandry? I remember there was an advertisement sent out by Alaska (I think) asking for mail order brides because there were areas where there were 35 men for every woman (I may be wrong in the statistics as well as the place that advertised, but this was a few years ago.) I mean, what if there were several eligible men asking for the same woman (and there weren't any others for miles around in a harsh climate)?

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Susma Rio Sep said:
What I like about Mormonism is the practice of having several simultaneous wives.

Muslims also practice polygyny: four wives and innumerable concubines.

What does my wife say about my favorable attitude towards polygyny?

She says to get her permission if and when it is allowed in law.

What are the merits of polygyny?

A guy with several wives can get his business routines attended better with his wives than with employees.

Guys like me who feel sad for unwedded women can practice charity by wedding all women who otherwise would go without any man at all in society. Good for the women and for me. I read that Mohammed married many of his generals' widows for philanthropic reasons; and I read also that the Jews advocate the practice of a man marrying his brother's widow -- certainly a good service to the widow.

I think polygyny, several female partners to one male partner, is more consistent with the nature of humans than one on one.

Susma Rio Sep

While I don't agree with it I don't think that the government should regulate such a thing. plus I doubt you could get many people to go along with it.

Susma Rio Sep said:

Susma...I hate to disillusion you, but mainstream Mormonism officially stopped the practice of polygamy in 1890, issuing a manifesto to that effect on October 1 of that year.

Now, this does not mean that Mormons quit practicing polygamy immediately. Some, including some high officials of the church are believed to have continued this practice into the early 20th century. However, as an official matter, the Salt Lake church now excommunicates members who do practice polygamy. There are, of course, certain fundamentalist Mormon sects not sanctioned by Salt Lake City who do still practice plural marriage.

Also, in a way, mainstream Mormonism does still believe in plural marriage, but limit its practice to the afterlife. When Mormons marry in the temple, the vows they take are "for time and all eternity", and there is a "sealing" ceremony that binds husband and wife together forever. If you see a car with a bumper sticker or license plate frame that reads "Families are Forever", that car is most likely owned by a Mormon. The thing is, if a man's wife dies, he may marry in the temple again and be sealed to another woman. In the afterlife, Mormons believe, they will both be his wives. Women, on the other hand, may only be sealed to one man. If a woman's husband dies and she marries again, she may only marry him "for time", in other words for this life. These are beliefs that many Mormons are not very willing to talk about to people outside the church.

I think that before you start singing the praises of polygamy, you should probably read Jon Krakauer's book, "Under the Banner of Heaven". It is a quite recent, and quite controversial, book that is not directly about polygamy, but does in fact talk quite a bit about it - both the historical practice within the church as instituted by Joseph Smith and the contemporary practice of it by offshoot groups. It is not a pretty picture. Both historically and in contemporary practice, the women who participated in plural marriage were in fact often ordered to marry and told who to marry. The women often did not have any say in the matter. A particular problem in the contemporary cults is that they seem to force girls as young as 14 into marriages, often with men much, much older than themselves.

Also, Susma, I wonder why you state that you "feel sad for unwedded women". Many women, myself among them, have chosen to remain single, and we are happy with that choice.

JJM said:
Sorry, I realize now how weird that sentence was. My computer began acting funny halfway through the post and I scrambled to post it without losing al I had written. I guess I forgot to read it over and make sure it all made sense. Alright let me use an example involving Quahom1 and his "twin" again. If Quahom1 was to wait until he was about 10 years old when he had a firm grasp on how time works. Then they tried the same experiment in which if his twin stays on earth and he leaves earth traveling at the speed of light. If they didn't ever interact again then neither would realize that there had been a change in the rate at which they where traveling through time. Obviously 28 years to the twin would feel like 28 years. But the twenty eight years to Quaham1 would feel like 181 days to Quahom1 (assuming that the 1500 years he used in his original quote was correct.) and as Quaham1 slowed down upon reaching his destination he would not realize that that his rate of time had changed at all. The only way the two of them would notice is if they interacted with each other. So what I’m saying is while the rate at which our time changes in relationship to others. It would not change the way we perceive time.

Sounds like the Schrodinger's cat paradox.. if you put a cat in a box with a poison that has a 50% chance of killing it, the cat will exist in both a dead and alive state (superposition) untill you open the box and look. Superposition is a problem in quantum physics, we can either know exactly where in space particle is but not how fast it's moving, or exactly how fast it's moving but not its position.

Liberty, equality, fraternity, er, sorority

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine said:
What about areas where the inverse ratio is true (more males than females in the region)? Would you accept polyandry? I remember there was an advertisement sent out by Alaska (I think) asking for mail order brides because there were areas where there were 35 men for every woman (I may be wrong in the statistics as well as the place that advertised, but this was a few years ago.) I mean, what if there were several eligible men asking for the same woman (and there weren't any others for miles around in a harsh climate)?

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I agree with you completely. Liberty, equality, fraternity, and sorority, which means what's granted to guys should also be available to gals.

De matre nemo dubitat, de patre nemo certus -- Of the mother no one doubts, of the father no one sure.

If several guys have the same wife, or put in another way: If the same woman has several husbands, how would any guy know whether he is the father of any child from the common wife?

If you ask me, no problems with me. The child whatever his biological filiation is the common progeny of the group paternity or multiple husbands and communal fathers.

Susma Rio Sep

StrandgecK said:
Sounds like the Schrodinger's cat paradox.. if you put a cat in a box with a poison that has a 50% chance of killing it, the cat will exist in both a dead and alive state (superposition) untill you open the box and look. Superposition is a problem in quantum physics, we can either know exactly where in space particle is but not how fast it's moving, or exactly how fast it's moving but not its position.

Namaste stradgeck,

thank you for the post.

i thought that this was the UP that upheld this concept, not superposition.

littlemissattitude said:

Also, Susma, I wonder why you state that you "feel sad for unwedded women". Many women, myself among them, have chosen to remain single, and we are happy with that choice.

It must be my bias from reading the Bible; there are I think several places where unmarried women are mourned for.

Just the same, I have this idea that every person man or woman must fulfill his biological destiny before anything else, which is to propagate.

Now that there is too much of humanity already, then on the one hand the biological destiny can be limited to one offspring per lifetime of any two persons; on the other hand, people who choose to be single or to avoid children might do their neighbors a good turn.

Orphaned children in this respect are also neighbors, who can use some parenting from single folks in a sort of vicarious parenthood: good for society and good for single people, I would imagine.

So, single folks by choice, adopt a child to bring up properly.

Susma Rio Sep

Touche et parle

JJM said:
As I was reading this I realized that your example (above) was wrong. While I don't truly think that time would change if it did you would not be twenty eight. 28 light years is referring to how much time it seems to take for the light to travel from someone on earth traveling at earths speed. so in fact if this scenario to place and time would seem to change then your twin would be the one who was 28 and you’d still be in the first months of you infancy.
There is the light of stars shining brightly on earth that have been dead for over a billion years. We are seeing the last of these stars. When they died, we did not even exist as a species (according to local science).

It has been proven that when man (or an object) increases in velocity away from earth (or away from us), that relative to that man or object, time slows down, but relative to us time speeds up. There is no room for debate on this issue, unless you know of physical laws that we are not aware of...

Hell, even standard physics proves this true...just listen to the sound of a truck on the highway as it approaches...and then passes by, and continues down the road.
JJM said:
Further more if this theory is correct while time may change in comparison between to objects but to those object if they don't interact wouldn't notice a change in time. so if you did travel for 28 light years it would seem like 28 year to your twin but it would seem like roughly 181 days (that is assuming that you brother lived to be 80 and you didn't pull the 1500 number out of you butt. then every earth year you seem like .018401237 years to some one traveling at the speed of light.) so while in relation to each other the time may change but to the actual person they don't.
No, 1500 was not pulled out of my backside sir, or madam(oiselle). And arguing with you when physics are established on this issue is mute, unless you wish to take on the E theory, on relativity, or the special theories on relativity, and you intend to quote the bible, as reference...

(which you can't), since the reference(s) is/are obscure at best. (not going one way or the other...just letting us know there is something more...)
JJM said:
I'd also like to pose a question because all movement supposedly effects our rate of time then if I'm walking north on earth which is traveling around the sun and rotating in a circle then aren't I not moving in 3 directions at once. How would that affect time? Would they add together, cancel each other out, or would the faster on just take affect? Further more if that is true then because earth and mars are traveling at different speed then would the rate of time seem to change for the two in comparison to each other. Also if I'm driving at 60mph in my car and my grandmother is traveling the same direction. Then would what seems like 1 minutes to me, seem like 1.00000000000000000000000000001 minutes to her?(note: I just made that number up.)

Good question(s). Yes you are moving in three directions at once. It does affect time, but not to you, or anyone else relative to you or your position. You are in relative movement, and relative time (fixed to you). But if the EARTH should suddenly STOP IN EITHER ROTATION, OR ORBIT....you would become very aware of affected time and movement...in short order. Your relative time and movement would no longer exist, and you would now experience a new time and movement...if you lived long enough.
JJM said:
Finally I’d like to say that if this is the case could it not be that heaven is in this universe but is moving so slow that in comparison to us time seems to stand still thus the thought that there is no time in heaven.
Hmmm, the Earth rotates at roughly 1000 miles per hour/ 1600 Kilometers per hour, and orbits our star "Sol" at 93,000,000 miles away, and does so in 365.25 solar days per solar year. That means you and I are moving at over 19,000 miles an hour, spinning at 1000 miles an hour, and zipping along in all directions at various velocities (some exceeding 1000 miles per hour).

Where is heaven?, and what is Earth? Does Heaven keep up with the spinnings and orbits of earth? If you were an astronaut who landed and (GOD FORBID), died on Mars, would you be within Heaven's realhm?
What if we make it to Taursus Centauri's tri-Star system, and die there? Is Heaven available to us?

What do I think? Heaven is a state of spirit. No matter where we are. Energy can not be created nor destroyed...only changed.

and I am the most foolish man I know, for I think I know something.

Back