Buddhist view of the origin of the universe

If the universe was created by an "intelligent being" what created that intelligent being? What created that intelligent being? And what created that one? If it was a "mindless accident" what created that? What caused the chain effect?

Exactly. You're already starting to go mad.

s.

If the universe was created by an "intelligent being" what created that intelligent being? What created that intelligent being? And what created that one? If it was a "mindless accident" what created that? What caused the chain effect?

It is that very question that keeps my mind going and going and going... Great!

Possibly both, we crawled out of the muck and evolved and along the way some really really inspirational people came along, people perhaps more highly developed than others at the time.

Maybe we were put here by others on another planet... Then that begs the queastion of course "Who created them"

And on it goes...

But can you imagine how boring it would be if we knew the answers:D

Thanks for the replies. So then, the general consensus for the origin of the universe in Buddhism is "Would you like some milk for your tea?"

Yes, thank you. And a smidgen of sugar too, please. :)

Thanks for the replies. So then, the general consensus for the origin of the universe in Buddhism is "Would you like some milk for your tea?"

Good gried Dondi, you're madder than me! But I think you've done well to elucidate any sort of consensus.

(Actually there was a zen master who answered all questions about the dhamma by saying "drink tea".).

s.

I am more confused than when I started...

Listen,:) , I wouldn't want your expectations to be raised too high only to be dashed on the rocks of human ignorance.

You weren't expecting to actually learn anything on this website were you? It's all just a dream.............................:p

s.

Listen,:) , I wouldn't want your expectations to be raised too high only to be dashed on the rocks of human ignorance.

You weren't expecting to actually learn anything on this website were you? It's all just a dream.............................:p

s.

Learn maybe not... to be challenged those were my hopes. I just moved to a really, small town (6 mos ago)

My hopes have not only been dashed...they have been ground... against the rocks of human ignorance.:eek:

I found the website out of desperation!

Oh that's different! If you want to be challenged, ground down and filled with despair then pull up a seat, you're in exactly the right place!:D :D :D

s.

It is that very question that keeps my mind going and going and going... Great!

Possibly both, we crawled out of the muck and evolved and along the way some really really inspirational people came along, people perhaps more highly developed than others at the time.

Maybe we were put here by others on another planet... Then that begs the queastion of course "Who created them"

And on it goes...

But can you imagine how boring it would be if we knew the answers:D

We can know the answers though ;/ Just a portion at a time and one day through a cycle you may have the keys to all the doors. :) Just "go for it" The traveller who drags their feet, only raises dust...

Exactly. You're already starting to go mad.

s.

MAD?! Mad? Or am I simply awakening?! It's a cycle Snoop loop a doop......poop? It's born, it shines, it burns, it burns out.... It's BORN! :D

Namaste Dondi,

i'm not sure how you came to this conclusion..

the Tipitaka relates the Buddhist teachings regarding the origin of this universe in a pretty direct manner. nevertheless the main point with regards to Buddhist teachings regarding the origin of the universe is that the question is wrongly formed.

Buddhism teaches something we call Interdependent Co-Arising which means, essentially, that all phenomena arise based on mutual causes and conditons. to frame the question as to ask for the "origin" of the universe is to presume a philosophical position which is counter to the Buddhist teachings.

the Abidharma section of the Tipitaka is where the philosophical underpinnings of the Buddhist teachings are systematically explained. it is, however, a part of a huge canon of material and is not given as much attention as it should, in my view.

metta,

~v

Back