The Oil

I relate it to the admonishment to "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling". Having a lamp is one thing; taking care to use it to its full capacity is another.

Or: I can't give you my understanding of the mysteries, I can just tell you what process I went through to gain it.

Welcome to CR, traveler. :)

I have been thinking along these lines, as well.

I'll try to get back to this thread soon. I'm being rather slow about it at the moment!

InPeace,
InLove

Hello. Not sure who to ask, but....:)

I have a request to make. I have a feeling that the LC board may be dissolved soon, and I was wondering if and when this happens, can this thread be delegated to Belief and Spirituality? My reason for asking is that I was thinking of taking it into a direction that might not fare too well in a traditional Christian setting.

I didn't know how things would work, so I thought I'd go ahead and put my bid in on this one, since I am the threadstarter.

Thanks. :)

InPeace,
InLove

I'm all for it InLove, If we haven't exhausted all the "Christian" interpretations, we are probably close to it. It might be interesting to get a Buddhist or Jewish perspective on it.

Hey Dondi--

I'm waiting on one other opinion, from a person who brought up another idea, too. But in the meantime, since you mentioned it, would you like to see this thread in Comparative Studies instead of Belief and Spirituality? Just kind of taking my own little poll here.... :)

Hey Dondi--

I'm waiting on one other opinion, from a person who brought up another idea, too. But in the meantime, since you mentioned it, would you like to see this thread in Comparative Studies instead of Belief and Spirituality? Just kind of taking my own little poll here.... :)

That'll work, too. (Honestly, there is a fine line between the CS and B&S boards.)

Hmm...
Psalm 133 (in its entirety)
A Song of Ascents. Of David.
1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brethren to dwell together in unity!

2 It is like the precious oil
upon the head,
Running down on the beard,
The beard of Aaron,
Running down on the edge of his garments.
3 It is like the dew of Hermon,
Descending upon the mountains of Zion;
For there the LORD commanded the blessing—
Life forevermore.​

What is it that gets in the way of people dwelling together in unity? Anger, greed, jealousy, wrongful desires, and ignorance. Works of the flesh.

compare Matthew 25:11-12
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
to 1 John 2:3-11
The Test of Knowing Him

3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
7 Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning. 8 Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.
9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

seattlegal said:
Psalm 133 (in its entirety)
A Song of Ascents. Of David.
1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brethren to dwell together in unity!

2 It is like the precious oil upon the head,
Running down on the beard,
The beard of Aaron,
Running down on the edge of his garments.
3 It is like the dew of Hermon,
Descending upon the mountains of Zion;
For there the LORD commanded the blessing—
Life forevermore.

How beautiful is this?

It also reminds me of a question I have been meaning to throw out here: It is my understanding that the Bible speaks of oil in two ways, these being the oil of anointing and the oil of gladness. Are these one and the same, or two different things? (I’ll try to go back and find some references if need be.)

What is it that gets in the way of people dwelling together in unity? Anger, greed, jealousy, wrongful desires, and ignorance. Works of the flesh.
And the fruits of the Spirit are just the opposite. So maybe if our lamps are full, and we carry extra oil, that means that we have that extra “Spiritual” energy available. Not only does this energy light our way, but also allows us to be recognized by “the groom” (I believe wil had alluded to this early in the thread.) For doesn’t the Spirit testify on our behalf?

compare Matthew 25:11-12
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
to 1 John 2:3-11
The Test of Knowing Him
3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
7 Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning. 8 Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.
9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
So if, as Jesus is said to have explained, the summation of the Law is found in loving God and therefore our neighbor because this is what flows from true devotion to God, then when we keep this Law of Love, the Spiritual fruit will be the result, and we cannot help but walk in the Light.

The Oil=Agape Energy?

InPeace,
InLove

Whoa! I hit "submit" and landed on the Christianity Board! :eek::D

Oh well, we can go with that for a while, especially considering my last post. But eventually, I wouldn't mind discussing the idea of "the oil" from a Buddhist or Jewish perspective, and not necessarily only within the context of NT Scripture. (Hence, my previous request to take this thread to Belief and Spirituality or Comparative Studies, if that's okay with everyone--but no hurry.):)

InPeace,
InLove

Okay, just a note here. When I said "Agape Energy", I wasn't talking about the oil corporation. I was talking about Love. I didn't even think about the other when I wrote those words--I don't even know anything about the corporation. :eek::rolleyes:

Whoa! I hit "submit" and landed on the Christianity Board! :eek::D

Oh well, we can go with that for a while, especially considering my last post. But eventually, I wouldn't mind discussing the idea of "the oil" from a Buddhist or Jewish perspective, and not necessarily only within the context of NT Scripture. (Hence, my previous request to take this thread to Belief and Spirituality or Comparative Studies, if that's okay with everyone--but no hurry.):)

InPeace,
InLove

Hi InLove,

Do you have a preference between B & S or Comparative? I think Comparative might be a good call, but it could go to either forum.

luna

CS sounds fine, luna--it doesn't really matter, either way. Thanks! :)

CS sounds fine, luna--it doesn't really matter, either way. Thanks! :)

You are the queen of surgical strikes InLove! I didn't even see you log on and here you've replied already!!!

Yes, Big Brother is watching....

(Alert, alert!...this is a joke...I'm kind of worried about my jokes while we get this boat afloat and settled...:eek:)

luna :)

You are the queen of surgical strikes InLove! I didn't even see you log on and here you've replied already!!!

Yes, Big Brother is watching....

(Alert, alert!...this is a joke...I'm kind of worried about my jokes while we get this boat afloat and settled...:eek:)

luna :)

LOL. Did you see me this time? :D

:D 13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh. :D

Yayyyyyyyy Comparative!! I cant be irreverent here... but i can have a damned good try :p

Anyone wanna get well oiled????

Back