what is the opinion of these two sites

Haven't the commandments been supplanted by the law of love according to Jesus?

plus Christ Himself said that the Law is a Schoolmaster and that He came to fullfill it and not destroy it. so we must still follow it.

what do you mean, prober? and what does "imo" mean?

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:17-19 (source: Internet Sacred Text Archive Home)

(imo) in my opinion

Sorry Prober, that's pretty pharisetic.

I don't mean it to be. Sorry if it comes off that way...:)

They're Jesus' words. If my human interpretation is in error, I'll stand corrected.

Last edited:
Romans 13:8-10 (NIV)

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.

The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet,"and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Take a look at this quote. Do you see anything about the Sabbath? Paul mentions four prohibitions: adultery, murder, theft, and covetiousness, and then says that any other commandments that there may be are as well summed in the concept of loving one's neighbor as oneself. Emphasis is placed on the four prohibitions, zero emphasis is placed on the Sabbath. It's included in the subset of "whatever else there may be."

"he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law." This is the Christian message in a nutshell. Nothing about Sabbath, or who you can sell your daughter into slavery to, or which animals it's not OK to eat. Just Love.

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

(imo) in my opinion

that is so funny! lol! i was one verse off!

Take a look at this quote. Do you see anything about the Sabbath? Paul mentions four prohibitions: adultery, murder, theft, and covetiousness, and then says that any other commandments that there may be are as well summed in the concept of loving one's neighbor as oneself. Emphasis is placed on the four prohibitions, zero emphasis is placed on the Sabbath. It's included in the subset of "whatever else there may be."

"he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law." This is the Christian message in a nutshell. Nothing about Sabbath, or who you can sell your daughter into slavery to, or which animals it's not OK to eat. Just Love.

But which law - G-d's law or man's? Catch the way the chapter begins...

1Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
2Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: Romans 13:1-3 (source: BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 50 versions and 35 languages.)

This seems to be a discussion of how to make the local authorities happy. Of course, I've been wrong before.:)

(imo) in my opinion

The key word is fulfil. The law is not destroyed, it is fulfilled. This is why Paul says that Love is the fulfillment of the law. Look at where the text you quoted is. It immediately follows this:
13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. 14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

(imo) in my opinion

My favorite commentator:

Matthew 5:17-20

Let none suppose that Christ allows his people to trifle with any commands of God’s holy law. No sinner partakes of Christ’s justifying righteousness, till he repents of his evil deeds. The mercy revealed in the gospel leads the believer to still deeper self-abhorrence. The law is the Christian’s rule of duty, and he delights therein. If a man, pretending to be Christ’s disciple, encourages himself in any allowed disobedience to the holy law of God, or teaches others to do the same, whatever his station or reputation among men may be, he can be no true disciple. Christ’s righteousness, imputed to us by faith alone, is needed by every one that enters the kingdom of grace or of glory; but the new creation of the heart to holiness, produces a thorough change in a man’s temper and conduct.

Loving one's neighbor as oneself is a very difficult thing to do. It doesn't surprise me that most Christians would want to crawl back into the letter of the law, that's a lot easier than doing what Jesus said.

You're being obtuse Mark. Apply Occam's razor. What is the simplest explanation?

The key word is fulfil. The law is not destroyed, it is fulfilled. This is why Paul says that Love is the fulfillment of the law. Look at where the text you quoted is. It immediately follows this:

Fulfillment of which law? Still seems to me Paul is speaking of man's law and how to get along in society.

Let none suppose that Christ allows his people to trifle with any commands of God’s holy law. No sinner partakes of Christ’s justifying righteousness, till he repents of his evil deeds. The mercy revealed in the gospel leads the believer to still deeper self-abhorrence. The law is the Christian’s rule of duty, and he delights therein. If a man, pretending to be Christ’s disciple, encourages himself in any allowed disobedience to the holy law of God, or teaches others to do the same, whatever his station or reputation among men may be, he can be no true disciple. Christ’s righteousness, imputed to us by faith alone, is needed by every one that enters the kingdom of grace or of glory; but the new creation of the heart to holiness, produces a thorough change in a man’s temper and conduct.

Amen!

Loving one's neighbor as oneself is a very difficult thing to do. It doesn't surprise me that most Christians would want to crawl back into the letter of the law, that's a lot easier than doing what Jesus said.

Unfortunately true.

Back