General Introduction - What is the Hare Krishna movement?

A question..

Can I have a list of Hare Krishna eating?

For example:

No eat meat, fish, eggs.
No eat garlic and onions
No drink alchool
No gambling
No drink tea and coffee
No eat white sugar
No use wine's vinegar
No eat mushrooms
No drink sheep and aries milk
No drink coke?
No eat chocolate?

Thank you hare krishna

Matsya Avatar

Hi and welcome to IO :)

If you're expecting an answer from neemai, neemai seems to have gone walkabout of late I'm afraid. :eek:

Does aries milk mean goat's milk?

Snoopy.

Having read the Neemai's posts I felt different feelings. On the first hand, they look to have origin with Hinduism as was already noticed here. But the other hand looks very strange. I even can't say if it is humane...

Krishna consciousness is an sublime process of self realisation which has existed for many thousands of years, especially within India. It has become increasing popular around the world since the 1960's when an elderly monk known as A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, on the order of his guru (Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur) brought the teachings from India and single-handedly took the responsibility of spreading them around the Western world.

I find it difficult to say so. It's completely wrong to assert that "process of self realisation which has existed for many thousands of years" was brought to the West by that monk, Prabhupada. The question is what do Krishnaits understand under "self realization". If they mean "inner growth", "helping with psychical evolution", "becoming more kind to people, cultivating Brotherhood" - so how can they propose such a strange practice [I mean repeating mantrams]?!

I think you see, dear Neemai, that psychical evolution, or "way to God", cannot be found by "sitting as yoga". Inner progress may be found only with serving God by altruism. All the Teachers (Buddha, Jesus etc.) were the great altruists. They weren't "sitting as yoga" repeating mantrams as dunces. Everyone understands that.

And real ways to God (whatever name it has) are described in ancient Scriptures. That monk wasn't the first to publish in the West those teachings. For ex, Russian orientalist Madame Helena P. Blavatsky had showed it very well.

The question is what do Krishnaits understand under "self realization". If they mean "inner growth", "helping with psychical evolution", "becoming more kind to people, cultivating Brotherhood" - so how can they propose such a strange practice [I mean repeating mantrams]?!

I think you see, dear Neemai, that psychical evolution, or "way to God", cannot be found by "sitting as yoga". Inner progress may be found only with serving God by altruism. All the Teachers (Buddha, Jesus etc.) were the great altruists. They weren't "sitting as yoga" repeating mantrams as dunces. Everyone understands that.

Is there "either - or"? Is self-realization not realizing yourself, what you really are, and realizing (at least some aspects about) God (or Spirit or whatever you "name" it)? These experiences are connected with "altruism", some discover first the one then the other, others discover first the other then the first. If someone by "sitting in yoga" gets the (direct) knowing of what it is all about, and realizes "who/what" these fellow-men really are, s/he will become altruist naturally. Or better, the wish arises to only serve the Highest Good, that is God, and by that he will naturally serve all that is around us, humans included. Meditation is a means, but very effect means to come to some kind of realization. Yoga means to join: the same as prayer if you want, it is a real way to join the Supreme. And Jesus who regularly tried to get to the mountains alone early in the morning, I am quite sure he did meditate, prayer without words or thoughts.

Yes, it is partially so. Without a meditating practice it's difficult to notice that God is everywhere around. I speak about real feeling of God, and not about intellectual understanding. You, of cause, see that. It goes without saying.

But being so aware of such things [those you've mentioned above], Estrella, I think you must have heard of the words laukika and lokottra. Laukika are spiritual gifts which one gets after certain exercises as different forms of meditation (using mantrams and so forth, including expecially dhyana and pratyahara). They are lost when the exercises aren't done (like our phisical muscles).

But you assert the highest realization could be reached only by "sitting in yoga" (that's the way to laukika). But the lokottra - Krishna consciousness if you (and I say Vishnu consciousness, or finding of inner "I") want - is not the same. In nature, if someone wants to develop any property of himself, he MUST develop it. I mean if you want to have a slim body, you must do sports. If you are sitting in yoga you'll never be slim. The same is here: to develop love to every being one must be practising altruism; to develop feeling God inside, you must try to feel God inside; and if you want to become a professional singer, then sit and sing mantrams.

That what I think. My English is not the best, I know. I hope we understand one another. :)

what about hashish ?

I remember seeing a TV program about indian holy men called sadhus and they were all off their heads of hashish !

For Hare Krishna
milk of sheep and "capra" ( sorry for Italian name- capra is similar to "Aries" or Capricorn) is noot good it's true?
Beecause it's ignorance.

Hare Krishna
Sorry Can I have a list for food drink prohibited ? Thank You

Matsya the Fish Avatara of Lord Vishnu

srila prabhupada arrived in the USA with about a months' wages and a typewriter... he was a clever man, and realised that he could brings some of these "maha-aradata-dhenu" and "surabhi" to Hinduism... which he did, and hats off to him for that...

prabhupada's hinduism was quite strict- but he was working to what he believed were Vedic principles... to be a proper devotee meant to give everything up and work your fingers to the bone for nothing while suffering sleep deprivation and often feeling rather hungry. This is what religious types all over the world do. Krshna consciousness is no different to any other, erm... cult...

Prabhupada wanted to make them all holy men, but often these devotees were just daft kids, and like cults and religious organisations the world over, got themselves in to various types of trouble- firstly, because they were accused of using all the usual cult tactics, various sadists and sex offenders and stealers all joined the movement for their own ends, and they messed up...

they are not that large an organisation anymore, and the demographics have changed since their inception- most of devotees now have families and jobs and homes of their own, and there is less of a cult element to it now- mainly becuase ppl are less tolerant of that kind of thing now, but also because to survive the cult accusations of the 1970's, the child abuse scandals in the 1980's and the various splits and schisms and thefts in the 1990's they had to change a little.

Today, of course, Hinduism is more accessible now than it was in 1960- if you want to go to your local temple you feel able to, it's not such an alien place... most ppl who get into Krsna consciousness are young, still, today, but they do not usually stay in the organisation for more than three years... of those that do, they tend these days to be grhasthas, rather than sanniyasins...

what is the hare krsna movement?
- A good primer for better hinduism... !!!! There is more to Hinduism than just the bhagavad gita, after all...

I thought I'd post this as a general introduction to the topic for anyone who is interested in a quick overview ...

What is the 'Hare Krishna' movement?

The 'Hare Krishna' movement is officially known as ISKCON - 'The International Society for Krishna Consciousness', with its purpose being to spread Krishna consciousness around the world.

What is Krishna consciousness?

Krishna consciousness is an sublime process of self realisation which has existed for many thousands of years, especially within India. It has become increasing popular around the world since the 1960's when an elderly monk known as A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, on the order of his guru (Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur) brought the teachings from India and single-handedly took the responsibility of spreading them around the Western world.

Krishna is a name for God which means 'all-attractive' - God has many names around the world such as Allah or Jehovah, just as the sun is also known by various names in the different languages of the world. Although different people around the world may describe the sun in varying ways with different languages we can easily understand that in truth it is the same sun which rises each morning in all parts of the globe. Similarly although God is given many different titles it is to be understood that as the Supreme Person He is above all sectarian notions of 'Religion' and it is the same God being worshipped by the majority of people around the planet.

This act of worshipping Krishna or God is identified in the ancient scriptures of India as 'sanatana-dharma', literally meaning 'eternal duty'. Swami Prabupada himself describes it as follows:

"Sanatana-dharma does not refer to any sectarian process of religion. It is the eternal function of the eternal living entities in relationship with the eternal Supreme Lord... Non-sanatana religious faith may have some beginning in the annals of human history, but there is no beginning to the history of sanatana-dharma because it remains eternally with the living entities."

The Primary role of the Krishna consciousness movement is to spread the process of mantra meditation (chanting/singing God's holy Names) around the world and to promote the understanding of 'sanatana dharma' as it is described in the ancient Vedic scriptures (such as Bhagavad-Gita, Srimad Bhagavatam & the Upanishads).

Specifically Hare Krishnas promote the use of the following 'Maha-matra' (Great mantra) but other names of God can also be used if one is already following a particular faith:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna,
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare,
Hare Rama Hare Rama,
Rama Rama Hare Hare.

This mantra is from an ancient text called the Kali Santaran Upanishad which describes this mantra as being an especially effective prayer/mantra for making spiritual progress in this current age which is known as the 'age of Kali'.

The word 'Hare' refers to the energy of the Lord, and the words 'Krishna' and 'Rama' refer to the Lord Himself. The Maha-mantra has been well known in India ever since 500 years ago when a person known as 'Chaitanya Mahaprabhu' (also known as Gauranga) spread it publically around the country. This mantra can be spoken sofly to oneself, or can be sung by a group of people, depending on the circumstances. Most practitioners spend some time each morning in meditation, and then meet with others throughout the week.

Here's Srila Prabhupada's description of the Maha-mantra:

"Krishna consciousness is not an artificial imposition on the mind; this consciousness is the original energy of the living entity. When we hear the transcendental vibration, this consciousness is revived...This chanting of 'Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare / Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare' is directly enacted from the spiritual platform, and thus this sound vibration surpasses all lower strata of consciousness - namely sensual, mental, and intellectual...as such anyone can take part in the chanting without any previous qualification."

Hare Krishna,

...Neemai

Gouranga!

I am a Baha'i very interested in learning more about your Religion.

Who was the founder of your Faith?

What is His book?

What is the relationship between the Hare Krishna Religion and Sikism and Hinduism?

Thank you for your time!

Please correct me if I get any terms wrongs when discussing things with you.

Thanks.

Last year I went to the Sri Sri Radha-Kalachandji temple here in Dallas, had some good food, visited the temple with a devotee, and purchased a beautiful copy of As It Is. After much reading and consideration, I came to the conclusion that Hare Krishna isn't for me but I do think it is a very nice path for those who know it to be right for them. :)

But hey, sometimes I chant the wonderful maha-mantra!
Hare Rama Hare Rama
Rama Rama Hare Hare
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna
Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

~pranaam~

Can real Life Hare Krishna Devotees please answer these questions, from their own Point of view [and/or as per the formal doctrine]?

1. What is Krishna Consciousness?
2. What is Krishna Consciousness' philosophy?
3. What are the 4 regulative principles and why?
4. History of Shrila Prabhupada
5. What are the qualities of divine and demoniac personalities?
6 What Bhagavad-Gita and Shrimad Bhagavatam are teaching?
7. What is the vaishnava etiquette?
8. Who are we according to the philosophy and what is the purpose of our life?
9. Reincarnation and Karma principles.
10. What is the father's duty towards his son in Krishna Consciousness?

srila prabhupada arrived in the USA with about a months' wages and a typewriter... he was a clever man, and realised that he could brings some of these "maha-aradata-dhenu" and "surabhi" to Hinduism... which he did, and hats off to him for that...

prabhupada's hinduism was quite strict- but he was working to what he believed were Vedic principles... to be a proper devotee meant to give everything up and work your fingers to the bone for nothing while suffering sleep deprivation and often feeling rather hungry. This is what religious types all over the world do. Krshna consciousness is no different to any other, erm... cult...

Prabhupada wanted to make them all holy men, but often these devotees were just daft kids, and like cults and religious organisations the world over, got themselves in to various types of trouble- firstly, because they were accused of using all the usual cult tactics, various sadists and sex offenders and stealers all joined the movement for their own ends, and they messed up...

they are not that large an organisation anymore, and the demographics have changed since their inception- most of devotees now have families and jobs and homes of their own, and there is less of a cult element to it now- mainly becuase ppl are less tolerant of that kind of thing now, but also because to survive the cult accusations of the 1970's, the child abuse scandals in the 1980's and the various splits and schisms and thefts in the 1990's they had to change a little.

Today, of course, Hinduism is more accessible now than it was in 1960- if you want to go to your local temple you feel able to, it's not such an alien place... most ppl who get into Krsna consciousness are young, still, today, but they do not usually stay in the organisation for more than three years... of those that do, they tend these days to be grhasthas, rather than sanniyasins...

what is the hare krsna movement?
- A good primer for better hinduism... !!!! There is more to Hinduism than just the bhagavad gita, after all...

Krsna consciousness is not a cult, iskcon however maybe! Srila Prabhupada was one link in a chain that stems back to 1486 with the advent of Lord Chaitanya but the disciplic succession goes all the way back to lord brahma the creator however there are many branches to lord chaitanyas tree and krsna consciousness is flourishing nicely!
I am not a devotee but I have spent along time studying this path as well as others there is more to krsna consciousness than bhagavad gita which is considered a preliminary study!

Can real Life Hare Krishna Devotees please answer these questions, from their own Point of view [and/or as per the formal doctrine]?

1. What is Krishna Consciousness?
2. What is Krishna Consciousness' philosophy?
3. What are the 4 regulative principles and why?
4. History of Shrila Prabhupada
5. What are the qualities of divine and demoniac personalities?
6 What Bhagavad-Gita and Shrimad Bhagavatam are teaching?
7. What is the vaishnava etiquette?
8. Who are we according to the philosophy and what is the purpose of our life?
9. Reincarnation and Karma principles.
10. What is the father's duty towards his son in Krishna Consciousness?

1. anyabhilasita sunyam
jnana karmadi anavritam
anukulyena krsnanusilnam
bhaktir uttama
The cultivation of activities that are meant exclusively for the pleasure of Sri Krsna, or in other words the uninterrupted flow of service to Sri Krsna, performed through all endeavours of the body, mind and speech, and through the expression of various spiritual sentiments (bhavas), which is not covered by jnana (knowledge aimed at impersonal liberation) and karma (reward-seeking activity), and which is devoid of all desires other than the aspiration to bring happiness to Sri Krsna, is called uttama-bhakti, pure devotional service
(Sri Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu 1.1.11)
2. isvarah paramah krishna sac-cid-ananda vigrahah
anadir adir govindah sarva karana karanam
Lord Krishna is the supreme absolute controller, whose form is pure immortality, omniscience and bliss. He is without beginning, the origin of all, the cause of all causes and the source of the eternal Vedas.
(Brahma Samhita, Chapter 5, Verse 1)
3.no illicit sex, nogambling, no meat eating, no intoxication.
4.His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada appeared in this world in 1896 in Calcutta, India. He first met his spiritual master, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami, in Calcutta in 1922. Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, a prominent religious scholar and the founder of sixty-four Gaudiya Mathas (Vedic institutes), liked this educated young man and convinced him to dedicate his life to teaching Vedic knowledge. Srila Prabhupada became his student, and eleven years later (1933) at Allahabad he became his formally initiated disciple.
At their first meeting, in 1922, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura requested Srila Prabhupada to broadcast Vedic knowledge through the English language. In the years that followed, Srila Prabhupada wrote a commentary on the Bhagavad-gita, assisted the Gaudiya Matha in its work and, in 1944, started Back to Godhead, an English fortnightly magazine. Maintaining the publication was a struggle. Single-handedly, Srila Prabhupada edited it, typed the manuscripts, checked the galley proofs, and even distributed the individual copies. Once begun, the magazine never stopped; it is now being continued by his disciples in the West and is published in over thirty languages.
Recognizing Srila Prabhupada's philosophical learning and devotion, the Gaudiya Vaisnava Society honor him in 1947 with the title "Bhaktivedanta." In 1950, at the age of fifty-four, Srila Prabhupada retired from married life, adopting the vanaprastha (retired) order to devote more time to his studies and writing. Srila Prabhupada traveled to the holy city of Vrndavana, where he lived in very humble circumstances in the historic medieval temple of Radha-Damodara. There he engaged for several years in deep study and writing. He accepted the renounced order of life (sannyasa) in 1959. At Radha-Damodara, Srila Prabhupada began work on his life's masterpiece: a multivolume annotated translation of the eighteen-thousand-verse Srimad-Bhagavatam (Bhagavata Purana). He also wrote Easy Journey to Other Planets.
After publishing three volumes of the Bhagavatam, Srila Prabhupada came to the United States, in September 1965, to fulfill the mission of his spiritual master. Subsequently, His Divine Grace wrote more than sixty volumes of authoritative annotated translations and summary studies of the philosophical and religious classics of India.
When he first arrived by freighter in New York City, Srila Prabhupada was practically penniless. Only after almost a year of great difficulty did he establish the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, in July of 1966. Before his passing away on November 14, 1977, he guided the Society and saw it grow to a worldwide confederation of more than one hundred asramas, schools, temples, institutes and farm communities.
In 1968, Srila Prabhupada created New Vrindaban, an experimental Vedic community in the hills of West Virginia. Inspired by the success of New Vrindaban, which became a thriving farm community of more than two thousand acres, his students have since founded several similar communities in the United States and abroad.
In 1972, His Divine Grace introduced the Vedic system of primary and secondary education in the West by founding the Gurukula school in Dallas, Texas. Since then, under his supervision, his disciples have established children's schools throughout the United States and the rest of the world, with the principal educational center now located in Vrndavana, India.
Srila Prabhupada also inspired the construction of several large international cultural centers in India. The center at Sridhama Mayapur in West Bengal is the site for a planned spiritual city, an ambitious project for which construction will extend over many years to come. In Vrndavana, India, are the magnificent Krsna-Balarama Temple and International Guesthouse, and Srila Prabhupada Memorial and Museum. There is also a major cultural and educational center in Bombay. Other centers are planned in a dozen important locations on the Indian subcontinent.
Srila Prabhupada's most significant contribution, however, is his books. Highly respected by the academic community for their authority, depth and clarity, they are used as standard textbooks in numerous college courses. His writings have been translated into over fifty languages. The Bhaktivedanta Book Trust, established in 1972 to publish the works of His Divine Grace, has thus become the world's largest publisher of books in the field of Indian religion and philosophy.
In just twelve years, in spite of his advanced age, Srila Prabhupada circled the globe fourteen times on lecture tours that took him to six continents. In spite of such a vigorous schedule, Srila Prabhupada continued to write prolifically. His writings constitute a veritable library of Vedic philosophy, religion, literature and culture.
5.sri-bhagavan uvaca
abhayam sattva-samsuddhir
jnana-yoga-vyavasthitih
danam damas ca yajnas ca
svadhyayas tapa arjavam
ahimsa satyam akrodhas

tyagah santir apaisunam
daya bhutesv aloluptvam
mardavam hrir acapalam
tejah ksama dhrtih saucam

adroho nati-manita
bhavanti sampadam daivim
abhijatasya bharata
The Blessed Lord said: Fearlessness, purification of one's existence, cultivation of spiritual knowledge, charity, self-control, performance of sacrifice, study of the Vedas, austerity and simplicity; nonviolence, truthfulness, freedom from anger; renunciation, tranquility, aversion to faultfinding, compassion and freedom from covetousness; gentleness, modesty and steady determination; vigor, forgiveness, fortitude, cleanliness, freedom from envy and the passion for honor--these transcendental qualities, O son of Bharata, belong to godly men endowed with divine nature.
dambho darpo 'bhimanas ca
krodhah parusyam eva ca
ajnanam cabhijatasya
partha sampadam asurim
Arrogance, pride, anger, conceit, harshness and ignorance--these qualities belong to those of demoniac nature, O son of Prtha. (bhagavad gita 16 1-3, 4)
6. They teach us who we are, what we are and who and what is god and what our duty and relation to god is and how to reawaken our original nature and have a loving relationship with the supreme.
7.t
ṛṇād api sunīcena
taror api sahi
ṣṇunā
amāninā mānadena
k
īrtanīyasadā hari
"One can chant the holy name of the Lord in a humble state of mind, thinking himself lower than the straw in the street. One should be more tolerant than the tree, devoid of all sense of false prestige and ready to offer all respects to others. In such a state of mind one can chant the holy name of the Lord constantly." (Śikṣāṣṭaka 3)

8. jivera ‘svarupa' haya-krsnera ‘nitya-dasa'
krsnera ‘tatastha-sakti' ‘bhedabheda-prakasa'
suryamsa-kirana, yaiche agni-jvala-caya
svabhavika krsnera tina-prakara ‘sakti' haya

"It is the living entity's constitutional position to be an eternal servant of Krsna, because he is the marginal energy of Krsna - a manifestation simultaneously one with and different from the Lord, like a molecular particle of sunshine or spark of fire. Krsna has three varieties of energy." (Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Madhya-lila 20.108-109)
9. We reincarnate according to the conciousness we develope and our collective karma ascertains what body we get.
10.The duty of the father is to help his children get out of the clutches of maya and return home back to godhead.

Namaste to all my dear ,
getting started the discussion, hare Krishna movement it's the flow of remember the god.just like a Meera.

I have several books on Sri Prabhupada and a documentary about the Hare Krishnas. I also subscribe to a Hare Krishna magazine. They have a lot of the same teachings as the Yoga philosophy, especially regarding the Bhagavad Gita--which is the main book read for many Yogis, including me.

My favorite Hare Krishna member is Chaitanya Charan Das. He is a monk, mentor and spiritual author, having written some fabulous books like Demystifying Reincarnation and The Gita for Daily Enrichment (365 brief reflections on the Gita).

Chaitanya Charan also has many educational videos about spirituality in general, and has done a lot of interviews/discussions with other monks, called The Monks' Podcast.

A question..

Can I have a list of Hare Krishna eating?

For example:

No eat meat, fish, eggs.
No eat garlic and onions
No drink alchool
No gambling
No drink tea and coffee
No eat white sugar
No use wine's vinegar
No eat mushrooms
No drink sheep and aries milk
No drink coke?
No eat chocolate?

Thank you hare krishna

Matsya Avatar
You can get a full detailed information over here : https://iskcondesiretree.com/page/b...i-bhakti-vilasa lists,grains, ghee, and sugar.

Back