Moo!

[SIZE=-1]This use of the phrase is unacceptable as it is disrespectful to Hindus and should, and I believe soon shall be, outlawed as politically uncorrect. [/SIZE]
How is it unacceptable and disrespectful??

We all have our sacred cows...for some it might be Jesus, for others the Trinity, for others Krishna or Bhudda....

Of course for me, labeling something as politically incorrect makes it all so much not so sacred bulls**t.

My favorite was eating lunch with Vishnu (pastrami on rye), Devanand (roast beef and au jus), Madhaver (meatball sub), me the veggie ordering eggplant parmesan, the only white guy, the only christian, the only american, amongst a bunch of Hindus...I ask what is up....I thought you guys were vegetarian...read the following with your politically incorrect Indian accent (no disrespect, you will just sound more like my lunch table)

Vishnu - This is not the sacred cow, this is american cow.

Devanand - We are vegetarian in India, but this is America

Madhaver - When in Rome, we eat the Roman Cow.

Wil - But when I'm at your house there is no meat.

Vishnu - When at home we eat what is prepared for us.

Madhaver - Here we have a menu

It is my Indian Hindu friends whose taught me how and why the Sacred Cow became sacred...and also taught me according to their religion they are not to cross water...as they laughed as they have crossed the water so many times... All Brahman....they were sure they were coming back as untouchoubles...or fleas...or bacteria...

The use of the term 'Sacred Cow' to refer to something which one believes is not worthy of being held sacred is not acceptable, because it assumes that the audience shares the speakers presumption that the veneration of cows as sacred is silly. Therefore it is disrespectful to those genuine Hindus who actually do venerate the cow.

sam,

I agree with you. It's like calling someone an indian giver or shylock.

dauer

This is not the sacred cow, this is american cow.

Unfortunately this is becoming more popular, but I'd have to strongly question anyone who called themselves a follower of Hinduism, and at the same time eats cow flesh? A bit of a contradiction in terms if you ask me - just like a Christian hit-man? (i.e "thou shalt not kill").

... Neemai :)

The use of the term 'Sacred Cow' to refer to something which one believes is not worthy of being held sacred is not acceptable, because it assumes that the audience shares the speakers presumption that the veneration of cows as sacred is silly. Therefore it is disrespectful to those genuine Hindus who actually do venerate the cow.
Wow, and education for me...I've never used the term Sacred Cow as something NOT worthy.

Rather when I say we all have our Sacred Cows...we all have something in our belief system that is beyond reproach...that if you attack its nature, demean my belief, it's gonna make my blood boil, and it is often something a little nonsensical to folks that aren't of my belief system.

I guess I am a little sheltered in this regard as I've always heard Sacred Cow with reverence when used like this....quite the opposite of what you posit and I now understand your disdain.

And yes Neemai I entirely agree on the beef eating hindu's..however it is all a matter of degrees...yes their are mafia hit men that attend mass...we all break the rules sometimes...and depending where we are we've deemed what we believe to be acceptable (what we do and less) and what is contemptible (those folks that do things we believe worse than us), ie there are Hindu's that own fly swatters yes?

Unfortunately this is becoming more popular, but I'd have to strongly question anyone who called themselves a follower of Hinduism, and at the same time eats cow flesh?

Namaste Neemai,

Yes, I agree. This sort of thing is becoming more popular among "default" Hindus (for lack of a better term). But, what is disturbing to me is not the eating habits of the people in question, but their complacent attitudes and the somewhat silly rationalizations.

OM Shanti,
A.

Breaking news..
The Court of Appeal has overturned the decision to grant Shambo the right to live :(

Back