This weeks Science stories

MW...Salaam

The old Chinese guy pushing the "honey wagon" was really with it huh? These sorts of thingys, biogas toilets, etc. are the future of where we all must go with urban environmentalism.

Even more than that, Denmark meets 25% of its energy needs by converting hog manure to methane and then piping it to power plants. I once (15 years ago) told this fact to a high mucky muck agricultural official at one of our leading universities that I was affiliated with...he did everything but tell me that I was delusional. Closed minds are like closed doors. If you refuse to open them and unless you're superman and can walk through them using your superpowers, you never can get where you need to go.

flow....;)

Further to the above...here's an article regarding the long term and large scale effects of huge amounts of pig manure in the middle of the U.S.
SOOOOEEEEYYYY ! PIG !!!

flow....:rolleyes:

Further to the above...here's an article regarding the long term and large scale effects of huge amounts of pig manure in the middle of the U.S.
SOOOOEEEEYYYY ! PIG !!!

Uh, where is the article?

Well I am sure I would rather waste be used than pumped into our ocians for us to swim in - YUK

Uh, where is the article?

Well I am sure I would rather waste be used than pumped into our ocians for us to swim in - YUK

Hi MW...sorry for the slip up. You know, we oldsters just get so confused sometimes...heh, heh.

Rural Iowans cope with smell of hogs - Yahoo! News

And while I'm at it, let's all say it together again one more time, WHY CANNOT NON INTOXICATING HEMP BE LEGALLY GROWN BY FARMERS WHO COULD USE THE INCOME ??????
There...I feel better now.

Farmers sue DEA for right to grow industrial hemp - CNN.com

Hello All...

Sally, if you land on this post I implore you not to read it. Just kidding, But I do find that the universality of the obeisity surge is a fascinating subject to study, since I've been somewhat of a victim all of my life. I used to joke about my Mom having to buy "husky" diapers for my bottom when I was but a wee tad. But I digress.

Read it and weep, and perhaps some of us could make suggestions as to it's origins. I would vote for genetic changes in both our bodily makeup, and also in the foods that we're eating, especially of the fast variety. Of course lack of vigorous activity could account for some of it, but my suspicions point to something finageling with our metabolic makeup (unless you're Asian, seems like you guys and gals are somewhat immune to what's going on with Caucasians and people of African extraction. I have read about some obesity concerns in China though.Western fast food is just beginning to roll along there.)

We were originally designed to be walking, running, and tilling fools. But of course nowadays we travel virtually by television on our couches and through our cell phones to pick up pizza and dipping breads.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7057951.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7057060.stm

unless you're Asian, seems like you guys and gals are somewhat immune to what's going on with Caucasians and people of African extraction.
most studies I've read indicate that no populace once it hits the US shores does not have an increase in weight, height, diabetes, blood pressure, and cholesterol in less than one generation...often in a matter of years.

Times maybe a changin if these can catch on...

Exertris Builds World's First Interactive Gaming Exercise Bike With Windows XP Embedded - Whitepapers - ZDNet Australia
Exercise bike for tots - Times Online
Fisher-Price Toys - Smart Cycle - K5054

I do remember some friends of my dad who had an exercise bike generator hooked to the telly....they had five kids...and unless someone was peddling it wouldn't work...

Hi wil,
As the future begins to hit us in the face even harder, solutions such as you listed will be positive approaches to using new technologies to better our lives.
This article is one that describes the possible use of engineered plant systems to help out with the bioremediation of toxic waste sites. But there are some risks involved.

flow....:)

Genetically Engineered Plants Could Clean Humanity's Messes | LiveScience

Okay...we find a cure for the disappearing frog species' problems, but what might happen to people in the future if we use the stuff to help the frogs. See how complex these sorts of problems are to solve ? If only we didn't have the propensity to meddle with mother nature so often.

And after many years of dealing with the AIDS epidemic, historian/scientists are now beginning to see where it was before it came to North America.

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Frog killer fungus 'breakthrough'

Analysis clarifies route of AIDS - Los Angeles Times

Here are two tidbits that I picked up over the past couple of days.

The first demonstrates to us that time travel won't necessarily involve machines to transport us to and fro unnaturally, but may involve bringing the past back to life before our eyes. Holy Jurassic Park !

The second shows us that we may well learn more from studying the habitats of those who constructed ancient monuments, such as in Egypt, than actually studying the monuments themselves. Note the map at the bottom of the second article which shows the "Avenue" to Stonehenge going from the River Avon to the monument. Many such monuments show "ways" connecting them to water sources

flow....:)

Ancient beast cloning near, scholar says - The Stanford Daily Online

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Stonehenge's huge support settlement

Discoveries of beneficial technological processes such as this should be immediately fast tracked and be put into use as soon as feasible to fuel hydrogen powered vehicles. But what will probably happen is that fossil fuel preducers will mount advert and congressional lobbying campaigns to assert that manufacturing hydrogen from coal and oil is safer, cleaner, and more dependable.

What do you think ? Is anybody thinking any more about positive development ? Meanwhile Denmark has been meeting 25-30 % of its natural gas requirements for twenty years now by processing pig manure into methane and burning it. Just think of what could be done with municipal dumps !

flow....:mad:

http://www.livescience.com/environment/071112-hydrogen-germs.html

Scientists Reach Breakthrough in Cloning Monkey Embryos

Oregon scientists announced the successful cloning of monkey embryos this week, a major breakthrough in the field of stem cell research. NewsHour Health correspondent Susan Dentzer details their findings.

Online NewsHour: Analysis | Scientists Clone Monkey Embryos | November 15, 2007 | PBS

Teaser:

JIM LEHRER: In a nutshell, why is this important? What's the significance of having done this?

SUSAN DENTZER: This proves that one can do this, turn back the clock, create embryonic stem cells that are genetically identical to the adult mammal that you clone. And the reason that's important is that, in the future, if we're able to generate therapies -- you know, you have a damaged heart. We want to transfer in new heart cells. Maybe we want to grow them from embryonic stem cells.

But we'd love them if they were a genetic match to you, because then your body wouldn't reject them the way you might reject, say, a foreign organ that's transplanted into your body. So this shows that we can do that in theory, with so-called proof of concept in monkeys. And if we can do it in monkeys, the odds are very, very good and the researchers are quite confident they'll be able to do this in human beings.

Back