The label....

I must admit that I always check the label, to see if it needs hand washing.

s.

yea, someone kinda missed the point heh.

Snoopy, I'd of taken you to be a anti-label and all that... Right?

Then again thinking about it, Fashion I'd say was a younger "thing"..... And most of you, in the most polite way, are knockin on a bit ain't cha?

I must be the only female on the planet that absolutely hates clothes shopping.

Presumably you mean females in western consumer society? It's OK, I know females who have not been hypnotised by the marketing, the media, the peer group pressure...

Consumerism is the nearest thing to a universal common religion in the west, it's what everybody wants to do, needs to do, loves to do. People are throwing all these products and services into the void inside them to try to fill it up and to distract themselves from the emptiness of their lives. It's an impossible task though, based on a false premise. And sometimes, some people wake up to this fact.

s.

Presumably you mean females in western consumer society? It's OK, I know females who have not been hypnotised by the marketing, the media, the peer group pressure...

Consumerism is the nearest thing to a universal common religion in the west, it's what everybody wants to do, needs to do, loves to do. People are throwing all these products and services into the void inside them to try to fill it up and to distract themselves from the emptiness of their lives. It's an impossible task though, based on a false premise. And sometimes, some people wake up to this fact.

s.

Why does it have to be pressure? Maybe, just maybe.... People do it because it makes them feel good and look good? This being the case who the hell are you, me, or anyone to judge them for that? who is to say they are brainwashed and have pressure? Like those who wear poor clothes, budget, second hand, charity whatever lol... People shouldn't look at them and judge them... If that's what your happy wearing, than isn't that ok?

yea, someone kinda missed the point heh.

Yeah, hi 17, I think you know I know the point, but was making another point.

Snoopy, I'd of taken you to be a anti-label and all that... Right?

If you mean anti corporate anti capitalist globalisation with all that that entails, then yes of course. It’s part of something bigger than just the look of the jeans.

Then again thinking about it, Fashion I'd say was a younger "thing"..... And most of you, in the most polite way, are knockin on a bit ain't cha?

When I wasn’t “knockin on”, I wasn’t a fashion victim because it seemed trivial and irrelevant to me; the clothes I put on I chose because of things like the weather or the place I was going to (crazy, I know). I wasn’t about to start wasting unnecessary money to advertise companies products for them.

As I’ve “knocked on”, I’ve come to learn about all the abuses and stupidity that lies behind “brands”, even before I read No Logo, though that certainly put the icing on the cake. A lot of young people read No Logo (and similar) and it has opened their eyes to all the **** behind wearing these designer labels. In fact, I’m glad that the book seems a little dated now, as the book succeeded in raising the awareness of many of the new generation of young people.

People wearing T-shirts emblazoned with logos or words or phrases presumably think they are saying something about themselves to the world. They are saying something to me, but I don’t think they’d like to know what that is.

In the most polite way, it’s not an age thing, it’s an awareness thing.

s.

PS, I know you’re not into books 17; but this is what I’m referring to:

Amazon.co.uk: No Logo: Books: Naomi Klein

Sorry that draws a blank... Opened their eyes to what behind designer clothing?

Choose any 4 letter expletive I suppose! For what the expletive refers to, you would perhaps be best advised to read the book, or at least the reviews...

s.

I used to have a favourite t shirt that had a picture of Captain James T Kirk on it and it said "Beam me up Scotty" I loved that shirt. Sorry, rambling on again. love the grey

I wont haggle when I shop. Even when I bought my house I said "thats a fair price, OK SOLD" .

You are not the only one Grey, I am just to embarassed to haggle and I live in a country whose entire economic system is based on haggling - I wonder if that is why the shopkeepers smile so broadly when they see me coming??

Yes, I am five foot tall and a european size 35 foot, which is slightly smaller than a three :p. Which is why I mainly stick to DM's and flip flops... It can be a pain finding clothes to fit too. :mad: Another reason to avoid labels - they so rarely acknowledge the existence of any body shape and size outside the average. Jeans in particular.... it'd be nice to have a 32" inside leg (actually it might look a bit daft on me...) but I can't be the only woman who's not a long legged amazon? I pretty much have to buy kids jeans. Problem is, kids jeans are made for kid shape arses and while I have 'delicate' hips, my butt is definitely bigger than the average 13 yr old's.... sigh..... Even petite sizes tend to be a little long in the leg, or they are strangely proportioned, like they shortened them without reducing any of the other measurements (like waist to crotch for example). I once spent a whole day looking for a smart white shirt for interviews. A whole day!

Gentlemen... this is why women take so long clothes shopping... :p

Sorry that devolved into a rant..... *wanders off muttering*

Not just females.... Well depends what I am buying... If it is jeans.. Then yes, I take ages to buy jeans, as I am -very- fussy about jeans... Most clothes I couldn't care less... "yeah that looks good I'll have it." No trying it on no second thoughts, It's in the bag.... Jeans.... Different story.... I like jeans that I could succesfully parachute out of a plane in and land safley because of the intake of air that they capture... And fashion these days, people like rips in their jeans? Rips? Sorry did I hear that right? Ok what else do you like on your jeans? Oh fading? Awsome yeah, fadings is good..... What else.... STAINES! Freaking Staines! I went up to a shop attendant like "I think somone has stolen a pair of jeans and replaced them for their olds ones, they are ripped, faded and have yellowy green staines on them......" OH NO SIR!! That is fashion. Oh really? Well I got a pile of old **** at home.... Stained ripped fadded give me tons of cash for them, so I can go buy some real jeans you freaking norris! Now when it gets to this level I agree a person who buys these jeans is a ****** idiot. Anyway aside from fade, stain and rips..... It is also the "in" thing to have tight jeans... I loathe tight jeans... I want jeans that I could fit my legs into four fold............ Never go jean shopping with me... It gets ugly.

Gentlemen... this is why women take so long clothes shopping... :p

Have to go with ImpQueen on this one. I hate clothes shopping but I am a long legged pear shaped amazon, with size 8 feet, so it takes ages to find clothes that fit. I have a particularly long back, so finding a blouse that is long enough to tuck into my skirt is a nightmare. And shoes in that size tend to be lower and 'matronly', I don't want to live in flats, sometimes I like a heel.

Look at it this was ImpQueen, at least you can have things taken up or in but I don't think I would get away with adding sections to the bottom of my clothes - not without looking realy daft anyway!

Have to admit when I read your post I thought lucky you, some kids clothes are much more fun than adult ones but hadn't thought of the shape issue. I am really starting to think we all need to walk a mile in others shoes.

Would it not be wonderful if we could return to the days where we would go to a tailor who made clothes to fit the individual. Clothes off the rack are so overpriced when it has a branded label and of poor quality without. Though often branded labels I find to be poorly made too.

Both types of clothing are so exploitative of cheap foreign labour and the environment. 60% of the cotton products sold in Europe are manufactured from cotton produced in the slave farms of Uzbekistan where adults are bonded to work for $2 a month, yes $2 a month. At harvest time the government takes all the kids over 7 out of school and forces them into the fields where many of them suffer temporary blindness and long term eye damage from exposure to the pesticides. Irrigation of the farms has reduced the Aral sea to only 15% of its former size and has seen all 24 of its native fish species go extinct. Malnutrition in the population is endemic, the bonded farmers are denied even a tiny portion of land for the production of food.

Every one of us will have some items in their wardrobes made from the cotton from Uzbekistan. It is the worlds 2nd largest producer after the US. All the focus has been on the garment producing nations and the issue of child labour but the product they use to begin with is already ethically unsound. It is the manufacturers and retailers that really take the big profits. In both China and India the richest individuals are both billionaires on the back of such suffering and our own domestic retailers get even fatter but often pay less tax back into our country than the shop floor assistants punting the goods. Its just so wrong.

In the west we have a complacency based on the fact that we are comfortable being ready consumers. But our cheap disposable lifestyles demand a high price from the exploited citizens of corrupt dictatorships. Cheap or branded they all demand a human cost we never see printed on any label.

Tao

Want nice clothes? Some other country has to make their children or whatever go and work.....

Want to work? Ideal, there is some country that will pay through the nose for clothes get working...

Swings an rand-a-boots Tao ;)

A link for anyone interested in Cotton production in Uzbekistan.

EJF: Cotton in Uzbekistan

It does make you wonder how you can live in this world without exploiting someone. :( I changed to fair trade products, buying from farmers markets, stopped buying faux fur (usually dog or cat fur), beauty without cruelty makeup, etc but where does it end? When I fly back to Egypt I shall be destroying our planet with my carbon footprint. It's all dreadfully depressing.

I think it is one of the things I most enjoy about living in a poor egyptian farming town, where half the taxi's are horse and carriage and the veg shops are ladies sitting in the streets with a basket (pesticides - what are they? just pick the bugs off).

It does make you wonder how you can live in this world without exploiting someone.

It is incredibly difficult. It should be the job of government to insure no unethical products are available for sale. But we all know who they serve first and its not the 'people'.

Tao

Back