Parents Influence

I don't think it's just religious people. Atheists too.
Oh yes you are exactly right! I sort of picture Atheism as a religion...I was comparing to non-religious people, folks who are more apathetic about the whole issue....die hard Atheists are anything but apathetic in their beliefs.
Salaam Wil

I so admire your open attitude, I love that children are free to soak up diverse information (religious and cultural).

May I ask, if one of your children came home one day and said "I want to be a Muslim/Pagan/athiest or whatever", how would that sit with your Christian beliefs? Would you worry for their soul in the after life?
I appreciate your comments however I don't feel any need to be admired. I've just found that by being ignorant of other traditions makes one exceedingly two dimensional...the world is not black and white...nor is it shades of gray...it is extremely colorful and every time I am opened to more information my admiration and acceptance of other cultures increases. Without a little patience and interest I tend to be pretty dogmatic...believing what I know to be true based on my current experiences....when I add to these experiences I find out how little I know and how wrong I am.

My Christan beliefs are such that I am a follower of Jesus, my elder brother and wayshower...seeing his walk and listening to his talk opens me to a peace and love and acceptance that transcends dogmatic literal interpretations. Striving to connect with the Christ/G!d within I do not believe is cornered by the Christian. Folks with more faith than I may be able to do so without a mentor, be able to look within and know their connectedness the creator hence everyone and everything. If they decided to follow Mohamed (pbuh) or Krishna or Lao Tzu or nature. We'd have some wonderful discussions and no, I would not worry about their soul. If they became Atheist again we'd have some wonderful discussions. In writing this response, I would have issues if they became hateful, prejudice, joined the KKK or Al Queda...something like that would send me into meditation to wonder if this is the lesson one receives in order to grok unconditional love....

Hi Wil

Thank you for your reply, it was as I perhaps expected but nice to hear it in your own words. It does frustrate me that so many people believe ther is only one true path to G-d for everyone. G-d made us diverse by nature and imo will accept our diversities.

I agree with you, about joining extreme groups and holding hatred in our hearts, that would trouble me about any young person. It is strange though how it is possible to grow in a household with one view and yet grow into your own, opposing view. I grew up in quite a racist house (not abusive toward other races, just openly speaking against them in our home). Yet my first boyfriend was Jewish and I am now married to an Arab. So parents teachings do not always rub off, if they go against the heart. :)

Wil, bit off topic.... You won't type god.. But you are thinking the word when you censor it... Anyway question... When you verbally want to say god what do you say?
I say G!d...

As a kid G!d was this super big guy in the sky, a santy clause character keeping track of who was naughty and nice and rewarding presents..heaven or coal, hell. He, Him, The Almighty..smiting and vengence, plagues and pestilence...G!d did it, they deserved it, G!d's will.

When I came to my own beliefs it was without this entity that needed to be worshiped and praised....sheesh creator of the universe all powerful, all knowing, yet jealous and oh so needy...sure didn't resonate. When I found others who think like me...I had thought I was alone....low and behold they were Christian (picture me making the cross with my fingers like warding away vampires) they read bibles and believed in Jesus...but it wasn't that old time religion. But the G-word still got me, still conjured up that old thought from my sunday school upbringing....so I wrote G-d and thought the Creator, the One or Universal Consciousness...something I could wrap my head around. I developed a quasi Jewish thought...that naming limited...as Creators just Create, the One what and that saying writing G-d was limiting.... I've been working on teaching my little finger to go grab a ! instead of a - There is something about the explanation point I like...a little more supreme than a simple dash...

But now after 10 years...I can say G!d without conjuring up the elementary thought...and G!d means a heck of a lot more...and if I gave spirit being (I do say spirit a heck of a lot more than G!d)...that being would be more of a feeling...like the hug of a friend...or resting in the bosum of grandma or mom as a child...warmth, protection and comfort...no fear of plagues or reprisal...always unconditional love and acceptance...

Seems not so off topic...I think this relationship with G!d is my ultimate Parental Influence....

I developed a quasi Jewish thought...that naming limited....

Can go with you on that one Wil. When I first heard that in Islam G-d has 99 names I couldn't imagine why you would need 99 names for G-d. Then I learnt them and they too become limiting. I don't think we humans have enough words to describe the undescribable.

my familys religons were very mixed my gran is catholic my mum was brough up as a catholic as well yet she belives in gypsy magik my step dad has no reglion at all

i was brough up mostly catholic but istart to look in to witch craft and gypsy magic
i have other beliefs as well i am ver open minded when it comes to what i believe in

Back