Respectful question about Jesus (pbuh)

Thank you everyone, I think I am starting to understand what it is you believe.

Matthew 18 - :D:D:D Thank you Seattlegal, I shall have a smile on my face all day now.

Please could you tell me the meaning of this verse:

Matthew 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Why would Jesus (pbuh) say this in response to a womans request for help?

Who are the lost sheep of the house of Israel?

Mee, may I ask what JW's believe Jesus (pbuh) was, if not G-d? You know the Bible so well Mee, please can you tell me where to look for verses where Jesus (pbuh) states 'what' he is.

Salaam
Sally
How about what God said Jesus was ,God said that Jesus was chosen,approved,and recieved honor and glory from God. so we can see that Jesus was not God but he was Gods son. and he was an obedient son as well .
Christ Jesus is himself a sterling example of submission to his heavenly Father. We read that "he humbled himself and became obedient as far as death, yes, death on a torture stake." Paul adds: "For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name, so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground, and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father." (Philippians 2:8-11) Yes, we joyfully bend the knee before our Leader and reigning King, Christ Jesus.—Matthew 23:10.
"Also, there was a voice from the heavens that said: ‘This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.’"—MATTHEW 3:17.
(Luke 9:35) And a voice came out of the cloud, saying: "This is my Son, the one that has been chosen. Listen to him."
(2 Peter 1:17) For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when words such as these were borne to him by the magnificent glory: "This is my son, my beloved, whom I myself have approved."

Thank you Mee, it is interesting to see the different interpretations of the Christian scriptures.

John 10:37-38
"37 Don’t believe me unless I carry out my Father’s work. 38 But if I do his work, believe in the evidence of the miraculous works I have done, even if you don’t believe me. Then you will know and understand that the Father is in me, and I am in the Father.”

John 17:21
"I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me."

Couldn't help but observe the similarity:

"A true yogi observes Me in all beings and also sees every being in Me. Indeed, the self-realized person sees Me, the same Supreme Lord, everywhere. For one who sees Me everywhere and sees everything in Me, I am never lost, nor is he ever lost to Me." (Bhagavad-Gita 6.29-6.30)

I see this as an example of God's omnipotence, but would not say it confirms that Jesus was actually God. Who is the Son of the Father, but one who follows His teachings? In that sense I would say that anyone who sincerely follows the teachings of God, could also be counted amongst His Sons.

... Neemai :)

Thank you everyone, I think I am starting to understand what it is you believe.

Matthew 18 - :D:D:D Thank you Seattlegal, I shall have a smile on my face all day now.

Matthew 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

First of all, keep in mind that this woman's daughter was said to have been possessed by demons in verse 21. Next, if you look at the previous verses in Matt 15, you will see a fine example of some 'sheep of Israel' who had strayed:
1 Then the scribes and Pharisees who were from Jerusalem came to Jesus, saying, 2 “Why do Your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread.”
3 He answered and said to them, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father or mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:
8 ‘ These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

10 When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them, “Hear and understand: 11 Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.”
12 Then His disciples came and said to Him, “Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?”
13 But He answered and said, “Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. 14 Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.”
15 Then Peter answered and said to Him, “Explain this parable to us.”
16 So Jesus said, “Are you also still without understanding? 17 Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and is eliminated? 18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. 20 These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.”​
The Pharasees had made the commandment of God of no effect through their traditions, and it seemed that through the badness within their hearts, they proceeded to defile themselves by what came out of their mouths. (Sounds kinda similar to being demon possessed, huh?) Certainly "not planted by Jesus's Heavenly Father,' and 'needing to be uprooted.' ;)

Jesus was telling her about one of his main concerns of corruption within the hearts of the religious leaders of the Jews, {being the 'blind leaders of the blind."} However, he did also show compassion upon the woman in her humility, and her daughter was healed.
verse 28
28 Then Jesus answered and said to her, “O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed from that very hour.​

Jesus was testing the woman's faith. She knew he could heal her daughter, so she kept pleading with Him. Jesus never denies anyone but he does test them to see how strong their faith is.

In the Old Testament the prophecies about the Messiah state that he will come to the aid of Israel, which is another name for the Jews (God's chosen people). The prophecies say nothing about the Messiah coming to the aid of Gentiles (anyone not born a Jew), but it does say that his grace will be given to them (which happens when Paul preaches to the Gentiles). The lost sheep are the people who've wandered astray.

In the Old Testament the prophecies about the Messiah state that he will come to the aid of Israel, which is another name for the Jews (God's chosen people). The prophecies say nothing about the Messiah coming to the aid of Gentiles (anyone not born a Jew), but it does say that his grace will be given to them (which happens when Paul preaches to the Gentiles). The lost sheep are the people who've wandered astray.

Isaiah 61:1
The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners...

Thank you Seattlegal and Pico for your explanations.

You know, between this and a discusion between Muslims and Jews on another thread, I am starting to see why the Jewish nation feel undermined. I wonder if this is also a test from G-d to see who will remain faithful to their hearts?

Here's something else Jesus said. In John chapter 10 Jesus refers to himself as the "Good Shepherd." This is a direct claim to be God, because he's referring to the book of Ezekiel 34:11-24 in the OT where God says that he is the Good Shepherd and will shepherd his people.

Also Jesus refers to himself as the "Son of Man" which is relating to the book of Daniel 7:13-14

"In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. 14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed."

Thank you Seattlegal and Pico for your explanations.

You know, between this and a discusion between Muslims and Jews on another thread, I am starting to see why the Jewish nation feel undermined. I wonder if this is also a test from G-d to see who will remain faithful to their hearts?

That reminds me of something Paul said in Romans 9:31-33:

31 But the people of Israel, who tried so hard to get right with God by keeping the law, never succeeded. 32 Why not? Because they were trying to get right with God by keeping the law instead of by trusting in him. They stumbled over the great rock in their path. 33 God warned them of this in the Scriptures when he said,
“I am placing a stone in Jerusalem that makes people stumble,
a rock that makes them fall.
But anyone who trusts in him
will never be disgraced.”

That reminds me of something Paul said in Romans 9:31-33:

31 But the people of Israel, who tried so hard to get right with God by keeping the law, never succeeded. 32 Why not? Because they were trying to get right with God by keeping the law instead of by trusting in him. They stumbled over the great rock in their path. 33 God warned them of this in the Scriptures when he said,
“I am placing a stone in Jerusalem that makes people stumble,
a rock that makes them fall.
But anyone who trusts in him
will never be disgraced.”

I am wondering what Banabrain would say about this verse? Perhaps this is why interfaith dialogue is so important?

Surely the same could be said for all of our faiths Pico, we seem to rely so much on ritual, symbols and arguments, rather than on G-d.

"A true yogi observes Me in all beings and also sees every being in Me. Indeed, the self-realized person sees Me, the same Supreme Lord, everywhere. For one who sees Me everywhere and sees everything in Me, I am never lost, nor is he ever lost to Me." (Bhagavad-Gita 6.29-6.30)

I see this as an example of God's omnipotence, but would not say it confirms that Jesus was actually God. Who is the Son of the Father, but one who follows His teachings? In that sense I would say that anyone who sincerely follows the teachings of God, could also be counted amongst His Sons.

they were one in unity of thought and purpose ,and Jesus followers are also in unity of thought and purpose.

they were one in unity of thought and purpose ,and Jesus followers are also in unity of thought and purpose.
Yea, mee!!

I want you to know how appreciative I am of this line. It seems to have been generated by 'mee'. I'll bet you can't find that in your documentation, and if you can I don't want to know....but I am so grateful that you shared with us what you found in your heart!

Ah, thank you Balzn, now that is something I can mentally grasp. So for you Jesus (pbuh) had two different roles, that of man on earth and that of Divinity? Why do you think the Divinity came to earth as man, could this message not come through a Prophet, as with the Prophets before his time on earth?

Which Prophets do Christians believe in as authentic Prophets, inspred by G-d?

yes jesus had two roles, that of the son of man, and that of the son of god walking among us.
divinity came to earth, because god loves the world so much, he gave his only begotten son that whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life. a prophet only points to christ and a nation brings forth jesus christ, but neither can provide salvation from death nor deal with mans ever increasing sins, only jesus christ can judge, forgive sins, open the book of life and call your name. he is the way, the truth and the life, he is unchanging, no one else is able to be or can be.

yes jesus had two roles, that of the son of man, and that of the son of god walking among us.
divinity came to earth, because god loves the world so much, he gave his only begotten son that whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life. a prophet only points to christ and a nation brings forth jesus christ, but neither can provide salvation from death nor deal with mans ever increasing sins, only jesus christ can judge, forgive sins, open the book of life and call your name. he is the way, the truth and the life, he is unchanging, no one else is able to be or can be.

That's true. Jesus didn't come just to deliver a message. His main goal was the redemption of mankind by being the atonement for our sins. Which is something only God can do for us. We can't do such a thing ourselves.

There is no similarity regardless of your observations. The Bible is referring to believing Christians with transformed minds, the Bhagavad-Gita is referring to status quo.

-Karen

Last edited:
only jesus christ can judge, forgive sins, open the book of life and call your name. he is the way, the truth and the life, he is unchanging, no one else is able to be or can be.

Forgive me Blazn but what is your belief of G-d's role? For me it is only G-d that can judge or forgive sin. The Prophets can only speak on your behalf but G-d is the only judge.

Yea, mee!!

I want you to know how appreciative I am of this line. It seems to have been generated by 'mee'. I'll bet you can't find that in your documentation, and if you can I don't want to know....but I am so grateful that you shared with us what you found in your heart!
its good to know that it is in the bible , and the bible always comes true.
"I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word; 21 in order that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, in order that the world may believe that you sent me forth. 22 Also, I have given them the glory that you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are one. 23 I in union with them and you in union with me, in order that they may be perfected into one, that the world may have the knowledge that you sent me forth and that you loved them just as you loved me. JOHN 17;20-23
Jehovah’s Witnesses have demonstrated that it is possible to achieve unity in belief and action even in today’s disunited world. In their ranks are former members of many different religions and ethnic groups. Other Witnesses were formerly agnostics or atheists. Still others simply gave no serious thought to religion. Out of this diversity of religions, cultures, and philosophies have come individuals who now enjoy a religious unity that is not otherwise seen in the world today. and here they are spoken of in REVELATION 7;9-10...... NICE .... when Jesus said that he and the father were one he meant one in unity and thought, that is why he said that his followers would also be one .(in unity of thought and action) so it is not my words , but it is straight out of the bible, and that is what Jehovahs publications always stick to .:)

Forgive me Blazn but what is your belief of G-d's role? For me it is only G-d that can judge or forgive sin. The Prophets can only speak on your behalf but G-d is the only judge.
I'm not Blazn, here are my thoughts:
We can certainly forgive sins. Jesus said,
Matthew 6:9-15
Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.

13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.​

14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."
It seems that God follows the 'Principle of Reciprocity...'

I'm not Blazn, here are my thoughts:
We can certainly forgive sins. Jesus said,

Thank you Seattlegal. I was simply interested in this idea that Jesus (pbuh) would be the actual judge of people and the one that forgives our sins. I have never heard this idea before and found it rather surprising.

Of course we all can and should forgive each other for sins against us but on the Day of Judgement will we not all be judged by our own sins and not those of others. We are judged as individuals by G-d, who may choose to forgive us of sins that others have forgiven us for or not, according to His will.

Blazn's comment seemed to remove G-d from the equation.

Salaam

Thank you Seattlegal. I was simply interested in this idea that Jesus (pbuh) would be the actual judge of people and the one that forgives our sins. I have never heard this idea before and found it rather surprising.
Well, think about it: Jesus became a human like us. He walked a mile in our shoes. He knows what it is like to be human.
John 5:22-30
22 For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, 23 that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

24 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. 25 Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, 27 and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 29 and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. 30 I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.​
The Father gave all authority to the Son, because He was human (Son of Man) and divine (Son of God.) Jesus, being both fully human and fully divine, is the perfect intermediary between God and man.

Of course we all can and should forgive each other for sins against us but on the Day of Judgement will we not all be judged by our own sins and not those of others. We are judged as individuals by G-d, who may choose to forgive us of sins that others have forgiven us for or not, according to His will.
I agree that we will be judged as individuals.

Back