The Bible—A Book From God

I mean teach me of the ways of god! :D
There are so many spiritual needs about which we can speak to Jehovah. Consider, for instance, the requests to God made by an ancient Bible psalmist: “Teach me your regulations. Make me understand the way of your own orders, that I may concern myself with your wonderful works. Cause me to tread in the pathway of your commandments . . . Teach me goodness, sensibleness and knowledge themselves . . . Make me understand, that I may learn your commandments.” Can we not speak to God about similar matters, asking his help and guidance always to do what is just and proper?—Ps. 119:26, 27, 35, 66, 73.

My point was that the Buddha (hence, his followers) were not even aware of His existence. You cannot reject what you don't know.

I agree; one cannot be aware of somebody that has not been born yet.

Give me an example of what you mean.
An example would be the reign of King Ashoka. Now clearly it wasn’t a time of mp3 players and space rockets; I think it depends on one’s idea of the word “sophistication” at the end of the day. I suppose I mean the general structure and ethos of the society, rather than simply (say) the public works programmes (that Ashoka instigated), although I do think these are also worthwhile indicators.

My comment arises from Gem in the Lotus by Abraham Eraly and The Story of India by Michael Wood, but Wiki will have to do, to give a taste of what I mean (about the reign of King Ashoka):

Chandragupta's grandson Ashokavardhan Maurya, better known as Ashoka the Great (ruled 273- 232 BCE), is considered by contemporary historians to be perhaps the greatest of Indian monarchs, and perhaps the world. H.G. Wells calls him the "greatest of kings".

taken from this page:

Maurya Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

s.

Great.
BTW—I personally know the greatest of kings.

Does that not impress you?

I think you’re reaching. History books are rife with selfless, heroic acts—sorry, I don’t engage in pissing contests (one reason is I am not equipped for it).

Ashoka the Great didn’t know Christ either.:D

Great.
BTW—I personally know the greatest of kings.

Does that not impress you?

I think you’re reaching. History books are rife with selfless, heroic acts—sorry, I don’t engage in pissing contests (one reason is I am not equipped for it).

Ashoka the Great didn’t know Christ either.:D

Happy that you are happy.

I provided an example like you asked for. Don't know what you mean by reaching, sorry. And what on earth you're on about with "pissing contests" I haven't a clue and frankly, aren't interested.

Yeah, of course Ashoka, like anyone born before Jesus wouldn't have known Jesus. Thanks for that profound bit of logic and insight.

s.

Happy that you are happy.

I provided an example like you asked for. Don't know what you mean by reaching, sorry. And what on earth you're on about with "pissing contests" I haven't a clue and frankly, aren't interested.

Yeah, of course Ashoka, like anyone born before Jesus wouldn't have known Jesus. Thanks for that profound bit of logic and insight.

s.

Happy you're happy that I'm happy, ect...

I apologize for my crudeness, regretted it soon after posting.

For example, I can think of many people that are far better role models than an emperor/warrior who had a change of heart. The slave trade is a prime example for history. But you were speaking of recent... are you more impressed wtih an emperor that regrets and follows the best belief system available at the time (thus encouraged many others to give up Jainism- "x is eternal, well that is dogmatic, so maybe x is eternal"- the doctrine of maybe, I am not making this up) or an individual that truly cares about your eternal well being?

I apologize for my crudeness, regretted it soon after posting.

I would like to be able to talk with you patti, but I seem doomed to get your hackles up every time I post! That is not my intention. So sorry from me too.

For example, I can think of many people that are far better role models than an emperor/warrior who had a change of heart.
Well, given the time and place we were on about, King Ashoka seemed like a reasonable example to me. I didn’t mean he was up there with Jesus, if you’ll pardon the comparison. I was more trying (and probably failing) to suggest it was the kind of society that he helped to create, not just the individual man himself. He tried (and succeeded in some measure) to create a tolerant society, I believe.

The slave trade is a prime example for history. But you were speaking of recent... are you more impressed wtih an emperor that regrets and follows the best belief system available at the time (thus encouraged many others to give up Jainism- "x is eternal, well that is dogmatic, so maybe x is eternal"- the doctrine of maybe, I am not making this up) or an individual that truly cares about your eternal well being?

Not sure what you’re saying here; probably down to my ignorance. Care to enlighten? Ashoka promoted Buddhism but also promoted tolerance of “all sects and opinions” – as per the Wiki entry. Being born before Jesus, Ashoka could not have promoted his teachings, but I think what we now call Hinduism, which pre-dates Ashoka, involves the eternal. Then again, we're seriously off topic and off forum here aren't we, so feel free to ignore me!:)

s.

I would like to be able to talk with you patti, but I seem doomed to get your hackles up every time I post! That is not my intention. So sorry from me too.

Being born before Jesus, Ashoka could not have promoted his teachings, but I think what we now call Hinduism, which pre-dates Ashoka, involves the eternal. Then again, we're seriously off topic and off forum here aren't we, so feel free to ignore me!:)

s.

Polytheism? Poppa Smurf? Cold statues? Seriously off topic and out of this forum.

I appreciate your reciprocation.:)
Karen

Polytheism? Poppa Smurf? Cold statues?

? ? ?

Well that was a conversation killer!:D

We seriously need to come up with a common language so we can understand each other....:p

Anyway...back to the Bible.

Snoopy.

For example, I can think of many people that are far better role models than an emperor/warrior who had a change of heart.
You do realize how much that description resembles Jesus do you not?

He was looked to be the warrior messiah by many...if you don't own a sword, sell your cloak to buy one and follow me?? one doesn't tip over the tables with no reprisal unless those money changers (read loan sharks/org. crime) feared reprisal from an up and coming new boss in town... not just a few were upset when he appeared to change to the sacrificial lamb messiah. The powers that be did not believe he had a change of heart and they came after him like the FBI/ATF/DEA on Koresh...a cabal, over 600 men behind them to arrest him...and still Peter had the nerve to lop off an ear!

You do realize how much that description resembles Jesus do you not?

He was looked to be the warrior messiah by many...if you don't own a sword, sell your cloak to buy one and follow me?? one doesn't tip over the tables with no reprisal unless those money changers (read loan sharks/org. crime) feared reprisal from an up and coming new boss in town... not just a few were upset when he appeared to change to the sacrificial lamb messiah. The powers that be did not believe he had a change of heart and they came after him like the FBI/ATF/DEA on Koresh...a cabal, over 600 men behind them to arrest him...and still Peter had the nerve to lop off an ear!

His heart never changed. The powers that be didn't believe, period. He was always the sacrificial lamb and the lion of Judah.
The reason they came after him was he threatened their job security.

(Peter didn't understand until later. Besides, Jesus fixed it.)

All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work .
2 timothy 3;16-17

Back