The Bible—A Book From God

by early bible students it appears you are referring to JWs...as if they were the first bible students....and it wasn't a date to look out for...it was THE DATE...and published widely, with folks knocking on doors telling all and handing out the same pamphlets as today, with the same fervor.

I think your statement of today will be repeated by folks 300 and 3000 years from now....yes those folks back in 2007 their understanding was limited, they did not understand, but we now....oh...and don't forget the ever popular..."but what if you are wrong?? can you risk that?? you must join us now...only we know the truth...all those others...the infidels"
yes you are so right it was the date , and a very significant date indeed ,and it was the witnesses who were making it known . but now in this time of the end the kingdom is now well establishedDaniel 2;44 and things are moving ahead at a great speed. that is why on the front of the watchtower mag it saysTHE WATCHTOWER ANNOUCING JEHOVAHS KINGDOM. before 1914 the heavenly kingdom was not yet established and Jesus had not been given his kingship in the kingdom .Daniel 2;44 Daniel 7;13-14 But now the understanding is abundant indeed , and soon at the command from his father Jehovah,,Jesus will go into action, and he will judge all of mankind ,and depending how we have acted he will judge us as a sheep or a goat . recognizing the kingdom and the reigning king Jesus christ is the thing to do because there is no salvation in any one else. it is not a case of Jehovahs people saying look out for 1914 any longer, because we have moved along since then ,and now it is a case of putting people on notice to this GOODNEWS Of THE KINGDOM matthew 24;14HOW PEOPLE RESPOND TO THAT GOODNEWS is the deciding factor, do we joyfully wave our symbolic palm branch to welcome this kingdom and its reigning king Jesus christ and join the littleflock in making it known, or do we dig our heels in and act like a goat .

back in the early days because the understanding was not revealed , they thought that in 1914 they would all be going to heaven ,but now with greater understanding about the bible we know that is not the case . and in a way because things did not happen the way some thought, it was a time of a great sifting work because those who did not hang around did not go on to recieve understanding from Jehovah . only the faithful ones recieve understanding . so it certainly sorted the ones out who were not really humble.
back in the early days, and even now, understanding to jehova witnesses is not revealed. they thought that in 1914 they prophesied they all would be going to heaven, but now with greater denial and misunderstanding about the bible and what it says about those making false prophecies, we still don't know that it is not the case. and in a way because things did not happen the way some thought, it was a time of great returns of defective merchandise because those who did not hang around went on to receive understanding from Jehovah. only the faithful ones to the watchtower receive misunderstanding. so it certainly sorted the ones out who were not really in denial and a victim of social pressure and followers of a religion making false prophecies. FTFY

For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. ROMANS 15;4

Just as some people have scoffed about the Bible, others scoff about there being an Almighty God. (2 Peter 3:3-7)

Just as some people have scoffed about the Bible, others scoff about there being an Almighty God. (2 Peter 3:3-7)
funny that isn't the quote in my bible...I don't know anywhere that the bible calls the bible a bible.

As for 1914...if Jesus took the throne and has been running things since 1914... Whose board is he on? Haliburton, GM, Northrup-Grumman? I don't believe he has, but if he has been, I'd vote him out at the next election...

Mee you know good and well that the Trinity might not be written in the bible using that word but it surely is shown in the Bible everywhere.

But really all I want from you right now is you to show me where in the Bible something you say over and over is wrote or even hinted at...1914.

As for 1914...if Jesus took the throne and has been running things since 1914... Whose board is he on? Haliburton, GM, Northrup-Grumman? I don't believe he has, but if he has been, I'd vote him out at the next election...
I think he is doing a great Job , remember that Jesus is king of the HEAVENLY GOVERMENT DANIEL 2;44 first he gets rid of the rebels , IN HEAVEN its no good having opposers and rebels in your goverment is it ? so out they go never to be allowed back into heaven .
Together with his demons, Satan the Dragon is cast out of heaven down to the vicinity of the earth. "So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan." (Re 12:7-9) In this debased state he persecutes those having "the work of bearing witness to Jesus and the kingdom, down here on the earth"—Re 12:13-17. That is also why since 1914 the things going on down here are much more satanic, and we are living in CRITICAL Times hard to deal with ,As 2 timothy 3;1-5 informs us. but satan knows that he only has a short period of time left before he is put out of action for a 1000 years . and even though satan is out to take as many as he can down with him, Jesus is directing a great preaching work to gather a GREAT CROWD from all nations to get through the GREAT TRIBULATION ,matthew 24;14 revelation 7;9-10 and when Jehovah thinks the time is right, Jesus will go into action to judge the whole inhabited earth. and as Jehovah and Jesus can read hearts it will be a righteous judgment . but for now the gathering of the GREAT CROWD go on .

Mee you know good and well that the Trinity might not be written in the bible using that word but it surely is shown in the Bible everywhere.
But really all I want from you right now is you to show me where in the Bible something you say over and over is wrote or even hinted at...1914.
BIBLE PROPHECY ALWAYS COMES TRUE and for those who have kept awake to bible prophecy the bible makes perfect sense, Just as Jesus fulfilled the hebrew prophecies back in his day, and those who had the right heart condition back then recognized that Jesus was sent by God, and he was the messiah, it was the religious leaders that rejected Jesus because they refused to see that Jesus fullfilled bible prophecy. it is no different today ,
the fullfillment of prophecy is plain to see and the bible chronology fits just right, the bible really is from God and the prophecy about Jesus being given kingship in the heavenly kingdom is now well and truely fullfilled

1914—A Significant Year in Bible Prophecy

DECADES in advance, Bible students proclaimed that there would be significant developments in 1914. What were these, and what evidence points to 1914 as such an important year?

As recorded at Luke 21:24, Jesus said: "Jerusalem will be trampled on by the nations, until the appointed times of the nations ["the times of the Gentiles," King James Version] are fulfilled." Jerusalem had been the capital city of the Jewish nation—the seat of rulership of the line of kings from the house of King David. (Psalm 48:1, 2) However, these kings were unique among national leaders. They sat on "Jehovah’s throne" as representatives of God himself. (1 Chronicles 29:23) Jerusalem was thus a symbol of Jehovah’s rulership.
How and when, though, did God’s rulership begin to be "trampled on by the nations"? This happened in 607 B.C.E. when Jerusalem was conquered by the Babylonians. "Jehovah’s throne" became vacant, and the line of kings who descended from David was interrupted. (2 Kings 25:1-26) Would this ‘trampling’ go on forever? No, for the prophecy of Ezekiel said regarding Jerusalem’s last king, Zedekiah: "Remove the turban, and lift off the crown. . . . It will certainly become no one’s until he comes who has the legal right, and I must give it to him." (Ezekiel 21:26, 27) The one who has "the legal right" to the Davidic crown is Christ Jesus. (Luke 1:32, 33) So the ‘trampling’ would end when Jesus became King.
When would that grand event occur? Jesus showed that the Gentiles would rule for a fixed period of time. The account in Daniel chapter 4 holds the key to knowing how long that period would last. It relates a prophetic dream experienced by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon. He saw an immense tree that was chopped down. Its stump could not grow because it was banded with iron and copper. An angel declared: "Let seven times pass over it."—Daniel 4:10-16.
In the Bible, trees are sometimes used to represent rulership. (Ezekiel 17:22-24; 31:2-5) So the chopping down of the symbolic tree represents how God’s rulership, as expressed through the kings at Jerusalem, would be interrupted. However, the vision served notice that this ‘trampling of Jerusalem’ would be temporary—a period of "seven times." How long a period is that?
Revelation 12:6, 14 indicates that three and a half times equal "a thousand two hundred and sixty days." "Seven times" would therefore last twice as long, or 2,520 days. But the Gentile nations did not stop ‘trampling’ on God’s rulership a mere 2,520 days after Jerusalem’s fall. Evidently, then, this prophecy covers a much longer period of time. On the basis of Numbers 14:34 and Ezekiel 4:6, which speak of "a day for a year," the "seven times" would cover 2,520 years.

The 2,520 years began in October 607 B.C.E., when Jerusalem fell to the Babylonians and the Davidic king was taken off his throne. The period ended in October 1914. At that time, "the appointed times of the nations" ended, and Jesus Christ was installed as God’s heavenly King.—Psalm 2:1-6; Daniel 7:13, 14.
Just as Jesus predicted, his "presence" as heavenly King has been marked by dramatic world developments—war, famine, earthquakes, pestilences. (Matthew 24:3-8; Luke 21:11) Such developments bear powerful testimony to the fact that 1914 indeed marked the birth of God’s heavenly Kingdom and the beginning of "the last days" of this present wicked system of things.—2 Timothy 3:1-5...................................... but today, the clergy of christendom who claim to represent the God of the bible, refuse to accept that Jesus is a reigning king inline with bible prophecy. it seems that it is much the same as in Jesus day when he was on the earth , and he was persecuted by the religious leaders and in turn his followers were also persecuted,

funny that isn't the quote in my bible...I don't know anywhere that the bible calls the bible a bible.

:D

Ok Mee but one small thing though the Babylonians conquered Jerusalem in 586 or 587 BC not 607.

According to Encyclopedia.com, the Babylonian captivity, is defined as "the period from the fall of Jerusalem (586 B.C.) to the reconstruction in Palestine of a new Jewish state (after 538 B.C.)."

"You will recall that the Babylonians, under Nebuchadnezzar, after twice laying siege to Jerusalem, finally captured it in 586 B.C.E. Nebuchadnezzar's army then pillaged the city, destroying the Temple and sending the inhabitants off to exile in Babylonia.("Biblical Archaeological Review, Biblical Archaelogical Review).

"...Nebuchadnezzar promptly invaded his unhappy country and besieged Jerusalem for a year and a half. In 587 Jerusalem fell and numbers of its inhabitants were carried away captive to Babylonia..." (Unger, Merrill, F., Unger's Bible Dictionary, Moody Press, Chicago, 1966, page 782).

"586, Jerusalem destroyed and burned (Jer. 52:13f.); people taken captive (52:28-30). (The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, Eerdmans, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1982, page 1016)

One other question for you Mee....
Why did the President of the Watchtower at the time NOT even realize that Christ had returned. I mean he said even in 1929 that it had started in 1874.
[SIZE=+2]"The scriptural proof is that the second presence of the Lord Jesus Christ began in 1874 A.D." Judge J.F. Rutherford "Prophecy"page 65 (1929)[/SIZE]

This unique book reveals things that we could never find out otherwise. For example, it tells us about the creation of the starry heavens, the earth, and the first man and woman.

I am feeling like I am in some kind of time-warp here. It is already well known, proven, documented and otherwise recorded that all these same things were discussed, explored, expressed, passed-along, recorded and proven long before Christianity came into existence. The Bible has been shown over and over again to draw from other cultures, from the Chaldeans and Babaloneons, to Buddhism, Hinduism and all Eastern philosophies, even to paganism, ...especially in the beginning. What exactly is the uniqueness you strive to express, it can't be that which you've already stated?

ChristianMyst

I am feeling like I am in some kind of time-warp here. It is already well known, proven, documented and otherwise recorded that all these same things were discussed, explored, expressed, passed-along, recorded and proven long before Christianity came into existence. The Bible has been shown over and over again to draw from other cultures, from the Chaldeans and Babaloneons, to Buddhism, Hinduism and all Eastern philosophies, even to paganism, ...especially in the beginning. What exactly is the uniqueness you strive to express, it can't be that which you've already stated?

ChristianMyst

Then show the "books" and writings that the bible allegedly came from. I'd be especially interested in buddhism and Hinduism. I don't dispute your claim, I simply want evidence to view. That would verify your statement as "fact" as opposed to "opinion".

v/r

Q

Good point. The passage that mee gives is scoffing about His coming, not whether He exists or not. And true, the Bible never refers to itself as the Bible. If it did, it would be branded as a hoax from the start. But then, the same could be said for the four gospels, where they the same in content...hmmm.

v/r

Q

the same could be said for the four gospels, where they the same in content...hmmm.
interesting contemplation, one lawyer would argue they differ enough to indicate no collusion between the witnesses...of course the other would argue the differences are because they were written decades after the fact and the similarities are due to the fact that the embellishments of the story tellers made those instances memorable in the listeners...who retold the stories to the eventual authors...and then the other lawyer would argue that we all know that eyewitness accounts are completely unreliable anyway...and then someone is asking for a DNA analysis of the shroud.....and meanwhile if you look at the big desk our anthropomorphic version of G!d looks like he is either watching a ping pong match or shaking his head ruefully....uh oh he's pointing his finger and lifting the gavel...and the floor under the prosecutions desk seems to be opening....but I digress..

interesting contemplation, one lawyer would argue they differ enough to indicate no collusion between the witnesses...of course the other would argue the differences are because they were written decades after the fact and the similarities are due to the fact that the embellishments of the story tellers made those instances memorable in the listeners...who retold the stories to the eventual authors...and then the other lawyer would argue that we all know that eyewitness accounts are completely unreliable anyway...and then someone is asking for a DNA analysis of the shroud.....and meanwhile if you look at the big desk our anthropomorphic version of G!d looks like he is either watching a ping pong match or shaking his head ruefully....uh oh he's pointing his finger and lifting the gavel...and the floor under the prosecutions desk seems to be opening....but I digress..

LOL, that was good Wil. The truth in the gospels however, isn't who wrote them or how historically exact they are, but the morals they teach, as well as the promise of the return of God (physically) to man one day. The morals are of moral law, and can't be disavowed. The promise of God's physical return, well that is a promise, and can't be disproved...people are simply impatient.

v/r

Q

That would have been impossible, Jesus Christ’s life was all about his Father’s work. Siddhartha Gotomo’s life was all about suffering. (his words)

Plus, it is possible that Jesus did know of his teachings; He just knew better. I think Siddhartha would have really latched on to eternal life. No, not eternal suffering. He probably would have had an entirely different outlook if he had a personal relationship with the Lord of the universe. At the time Buddha awakened to the scene, he was dealing with Hinduism and all of their gods and the very nasty caste system. Just think if he would have known the One True God. Things would have been so different...
Lift eyes heavenward
Dreee-ee-ee-eam, dream, dream, dream...
sigh.

Ok Mee but one small thing though the Babylonians conquered Jerusalem in 586 or 587 BC not 607.
Jeremiah chapter 52 describes the momentous events of the siege of Jerusalem, the Babylonian breakthrough, and the capture of King Zedekiah in 607 B.C.E. Then, as verse 12 states, "in the fifth month, on the tenth day," that is, the tenth day of Ab (corresponding to parts of July and August), the Babylonians burned the temple and the city. However, this was not yet the starting point of the "seventy years." Some vestige of Jewish sovereignty still remained in the person of Gedaliah, whom the king of Babylon had appointed as governor of the remaining Jewish settlements. "In the seventh month," Gedaliah and some others were assassinated, so that the remaining Jews fled in fear to Egypt. Then only, from about October 1, 607 B.C.E., was the land in the complete sense "lying desolated . . . to fulfill seventy years."—2 Ki. 25:22-26; 2 Chron. 36:20, 21.

Back