Do we (Muslims, Christians and Jews) believe in the same God or not?

Because asking someone or something to pray for you isn't worshipping him/her/it.

Luke 20...They are God's children, since they are children of the resurrection. 37 But in the account of the bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord 'the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.' 38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive."

welcome russian!
imho, asking or praying to the dead is not a good thing at all. for Jesus Himself says that we all die or "sleep" and are to be ressurected in the future. even a mighty prophet like Moses is sleeping and awaiting resurrection. i am sure you have read this verse before:

Ecclesiastes 3:19 Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; man has no advantage over the animal. Everything is meaningless. 20 All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. 21 Who knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?"

so remember, don't pray to the dead, pray to the living Almighty God. and God be with you...

in all fairness, you didnt say "asking someone or something", you said "When you pray to the Virgin Mary, the saints, and the angels". asking and praying are not even the same, just to be clear. somehow i think you believe asking and praying to god and created beings are the same and interchangeable words maybe, but i think they are not, and i find that very interesting. created beings are servants just like us, and as followers of God we are not to bow, pray to, or worship anything other than God.

you know, blazn, for the first time i agree with you, though i know you don't care if i do or if i don't, but i agree with you completely! sole worship belongs to God Himself. are you saying that the trinity doctrine doesn't apply anymore? just curious, thanks and God be with you...

Isn't this just a difference between Catholic and Protestant approaches? I assume that many Christians of a Catholic persuasion will pray to Mother Mary, or great Saints to ask for their blessings or help in serving God. As long as you did not mistake these persons as being God, then where would be the problem in praying to them?

... Neemai :)

as i mentioned before to russia89, praying to the dead is a big no no. i can handle praying to Jesus but even then i am kinda "iffy" on that one becuase He said to pray to God in the "our Father in heaven" prayer, never to Himself, namely Jesus. thanks and God be with you...

as i mentioned before to russia89, praying to the dead is a big no no. i can handle praying to Jesus but even then i am kinda "iffy" on that one becuase He said to pray to God in the "our Father in heaven" prayer, never to Himself, namely Jesus. thanks and God be with you...

So Jesus's mother is dead in your opinion? No eternal life in Heaven for her untill resurrection day? Not that I'm a Christian, but that seems a strange thought to me. I'm trying to get my head around the different perspectives.

With prayer being primarily defined as a form of communication (as opposed to always being worship) if people where "alive" would you still believe in completely avoiding it? Maybe God would appreciate you speaking to His angels or beloved ones??

From Wikipedia: Prayer is the act of attempting to communicate, commonly with a sequence of words, with a deity or spirit for the purpose of worshiping, requesting guidance, requesting assistance, confessing sins, or to express one's thoughts and emotions. The words of the prayer may take the form of a hymn, incantation, or a spontaneous utterance in the praying person's words.

are you saying that the trinity doctrine doesn't apply anymore? just curious, thanks and God be with you...
when i say God, know that I am saying God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And the only way that I come approach the heavenly Father, is through the Son who is Salvation and Grace and is in heaven with the Father whom the Father has appointed over all things, and the only way I know to trust Jesus whom the Father sent to reconcile me, forgive my sins, and be saved by his resurrection is to be transformed, be borne again, and let the Spirit work in my life whom Christ has sent to perfect me for the glory of God.

when i say God, know that I am saying God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And the only way that I come approach the heavenly Father, is through the Son who is Salvation and Grace and is in heaven with the Father whom the Father has appointed over all things, and the only way I know to trust Jesus whom the Father sent to reconcile me, forgive my sins, and be saved by his resurrection is to be transformed, be borne again, and let the Spirit work in my life whom Christ has sent to perfect me for the glory of God.
sorry, my bad...

When you pray to the Virgin Mary, the saints, and the angels, you are simply asking them to pray to God on your behalf, sort of like putting in a good word for you. The prayers of the righteous are very important in Orthodox Christianity in that they may be "heard" so to speak more quickly.

To further explain, usually Christians say to one another in a time of strife " pray for me " it is the same with the angels and the saints and the Theotokos (the Virgin Mary), we are simply saying " pray for me", not " I'm worshipping you, here are my pleas ".

To be honest, I cannot recall having ever heard that explained better than the way you just explained it.:)

Isn't this just a difference between Catholic and Protestant approaches? I assume that many Christians of a Catholic persuasion will pray to Mother Mary, or great Saints to ask for their blessings or help in serving God. As long as you did not mistake these persons as being God, then where would be the problem in praying to them?

Yes, that's the point I was trying to get across (very inarticulately).

We know these people aren't God, we aren't worshipping them, we show respect to them and pray for their help.

Luke 20...They are God's children, since they are children of the resurrection. 37 But in the account of the bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord 'the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.' 38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive."

welcome russian!
imho, asking or praying to the dead is not a good thing at all. for Jesus Himself says that we all die or "sleep" and are to be ressurected in the future. even a mighty prophet like Moses is sleeping and awaiting resurrection. i am sure you have read this verse before:

Ecclesiastes 3:19 Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; man has no advantage over the animal. Everything is meaningless. 20 All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. 21 Who knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?"

so remember, don't pray to the dead, pray to the living Almighty God. and God be with you...

It's kind of offensive to put it " hey, you guys just pray to the dead". Like we can do that to just anyone, like someone off the street.

But from a christian perspective, though their body may be dead, their souls are not. We will live eternally with salvation in one way or another.

We pray to the Saints for their prayers to be with us also, to the Virgin Mary. It's kind of like a helping hand. I don't know how else to explain that to you.

Are you familiar with the statement " We are more alive after we take our last breath than we ever were during life " ?

Which means, who better to ask to pray for us than the Saints or the mother of Jesus Christ who have already found the way?

Prayer is a form of worship. Prayer to someone acknowledges deity, that is why prayer should only be directed to God, for only God knows the heart of man and only the Holy Spirit knows these deep spiritual things. and as far as saints are concerned, they are those sanctified by the blood of Christ, and we are not to pray to fellow servants. for those called to be saints, we are the body of Christ, but Christ is the head, and the head of Christ is the Father, so we have a direct connection to the Father through Christ who is our high priest, and this is where are prayers need to be directed.

You are kinda iffy on prayers to Jesus Christ? Jesus Christ is still part of God, there is nothing wrong with that.

It's not like Jesus would insert his own name in a prayer to God the Father.

Prayer is a form of worship. Prayer to someone acknowledges deity, that is why prayer should only be directed to God, for only God knows the heart of man and only the Holy Spirit knows these deep spiritual things. and as far as saints are concerned, they are those sanctified by the blood of Christ, and we are not to pray to fellow servants. for those called to be saints, we are the body of Christ, but Christ is the head, and the head of Christ is the Father, so we have a direct connection to the Father through Christ who is our high priest, and this is where are prayers need to be directed.

Prayer is much more than I think you are giving it credit. As Neemai quoted, prayer is not only worship to a diety, but can be requesting guidance from a spirit. When I pray to the Theotokos, I am not worshipping her, I am asking her to pray to God on my behalf, although I do show her great respect because she is the mother of God.

The only thing I worship is God, I am not worshipping the Saints or the Theotokos, just God.

This is probably one of the hugest fundamental gaps between Protestantism, Catholicism, and Orthodoxy.

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.

I think you are giving to much emphasis on praying to saints, when we ourselves are saints if we trust in and have been sanctified by Jesus Christ. Jesus is our high priest, he is our way to the Father. It is the Holy Spirit that intercedes for us, not the saints--there is nothing in between.

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.

I think you are giving to much emphasis on praying to saints, when we ourselves are saints if we trust in and have been sanctified by Jesus Christ. Jesus is our high priest, he is our way to the Father. It is the Holy Spirit that intercedes for us, not the saints--there is nothing in between.

With respect Blazn, it's okay for you to think like that, but unless you are in possession of some superior spiritual vision in comparison to other people, I don't see why it has to apply to everyone else? Logically I see no problem in communicating with saints via prayer, as long as your devotional focus is towards God as madeinrussia has stated above?

The Catholic church and a large amount of Christian followers around the globe follow this method, so how can we be sure they are wrong in what they are doing?

... Neemai

With respect Blazn, it's okay for you to think like that, but unless you are in possession of some superior spiritual vision in comparison to other people, I don't see why it has to apply to everyone else? Logically I see no problem in communicating with saints via prayer, as long as your devotional focus is towards God as madeinrussia has stated above?

The Catholic church and a large amount of Christian followers around the globe follow this method, so how can we be sure they are wrong in what they are doing?

... Neemai
Neemai, understand that is is my spiritual view based on my deep personal walk with Christ for over 30-sum years and i give it for discussion and contemplation, as we have been having a great discussion hearing both sides, and i have thought about things that have been written here. whether one learns from it or not, we have communicated ideas, and i would like to think others have thought about things too and not simply ignored it because it was what an institution said to think, but especially for christians, what the spirit (if you have invited him into your heart) and what scriptures say (if you ask the spirit to reveal it to you) about the matter. i totally understand that it won't to apply to everyone else nor should anyone force it, and i understand that this is one way some were taught to communicate prayers with God. When one thinks something is right, it is quite normal to want it for everyone else, but yes we are all different and come from different places which in itself is a very beautiful thing.

hello russian,
It's kind of offensive to put it " hey, you guys just pray to the dead". Like we can do that to just anyone, like someone off the street.But from a christian perspective, though their body may be dead, their souls are not. We will live eternally with salvation in one way or another.
please understand that i don't mean to be offensive at all. please accept my apologies. but there is a reason why presented the scriptures from Ecclesiastes and Luke on my previous post. please tell me what you think, ok?

We pray to the Saints for their prayers to be with us also, to the Virgin Mary. It's kind of like a helping hand. I don't know how else to explain that to you.
look, i understand you completely. i know exactly what you mean and you only mean well, but let me ask you this, why go to anyone one else when you can go directly to God Himself?

Are you familiar with the statement " We are more alive after we take our last breath than we ever were during life " ?
sorry, i have never heard that one before. is that in the scriptures?

hello neemai,
So Jesus's mother is dead in your opinion? No eternal life in Heaven for her untill resurrection day? Not that I'm a Christian, but that seems a strange thought to me. I'm trying to get my head around the different perspectives.
why does it seem strange that we actually die and revert to dust? imho, it is not a matter of perspective but what is actually stated in the scriptures. no where in the scriptures does it say that we continue living after we die. even the mighty Prophets of old are awaiting resurrection from death (with the exception of Elijah, of course. well then again, there is Enoch, as well). God's curse on man is that we die and return to the dust. but then again, this is what i have learned from reading the scriptures and we are all entitled to our thoughts.

With prayer being primarily defined as a form of communication (as opposed to always being worship) if people where "alive" would you still believe in completely avoiding it? Maybe God would appreciate you speaking to His angels or beloved ones??
are you asking if somehow people were still alive after they had died, would i still avoid praying to them? if so the answer is yes. because God has given me everything. not they. i think that God would frown upon us if we would ask things from His angels or long departed ones. they didn't give me "jack". God did. though my mom gave birth to me, God is the One who formed me in her womb. He is the One that gave life to me. all glory should go to Him and no one else. my thoughts. thanks for reading and God be with you.

russia 89:
We know these people aren't God, we aren't worshipping them, we show respect to them and pray for their help.
what would you think if i told you that God is like our Husband? that we (man) is His wife. God is very Jealous for His people and doesn't want us to find help through anyone else.

Back