Tv Liscense? What a pile of *£%*£

Hey, hey.... hey hey hey buster! I am not the bad guy in this! It is the evil coroporations, the big cheeeeese, the man with the chubby lil fingers covereed in gold that grasp around your juglaaaar vein! He's the bad man here! He forces my hand to act!

No! I have to copensate for the attrocities!$£"!$ ATROCITES!E£!E! That have smited me! I have to break even!

I'll leave that for the jury to decide....:p

s.

History channel...

On our PBS public broadcasting station they are airing these specials on Shakespeare...

And they are going on and on as to his day to day life and where he lived and what he did.

It is apparent that every tavern, theater and boarding house in England wants to lay claim evidence that he crossed their threshold.

Now there is another story been circulating as to whether he actually existed and if he did whether he wrote all or any of the plays...

In our illustrious government supported show by our taxes there was sooooo much conjecture and implied garbage based on specious evidence it was ridiculous. It did become clear that if any of the signatures and notes that they had around of him doing this or that...that famous playwright didn't even know how to spell his own name!

any thoughts on this or do I need a license to discuss?

History channel...

On our PBS public broadcasting station they are airing these specials on Shakespeare...

And they are going on and on as to his day to day life and where he lived and what he did.

It is apparent that every tavern, theater and boarding house in England wants to lay claim evidence that he crossed their threshold.

Now there is another story been circulating as to whether he actually existed and if he did whether he wrote all or any of the plays...

In our illustrious government supported show by our taxes there was sooooo much conjecture and implied garbage based on specious evidence it was ridiculous. It did become clear that if any of the signatures and notes that they had around of him doing this or that...that famous playwright didn't even know how to spell his own name!

any thoughts on this or do I need a license to discuss?

I would seriously suggest you get a license... To avoid any unneeded fines... But, yes I recall seeing that exact show once on my CABLE television... and it was quite interesting wasn't it? Quite, I'm sure....... There was some sort of blanket that was sprayed out in front of your eyes like a mysterious screen to block and confuse you.... Lot's I found didn't add up.... And perhaps some people were taking on his name for freebies and cheap deals and such... and there are other reasons...

I say the Beeb is a unique institution and worth every penny. The quality of its productions across the spectrum of tastes has no equal anywhere and you do not have to endure 5 minutes high volume sales pitches every 15 minutes. Additionally its online services are excellent. I really think you have no case 17th.... the Beeb rocks.

Tao

I have to agree that the BBC is an excellent broadcaster and the licence fee is worth every penny. You get two top quality TV channels and five radio stations, not counting the World Service - a life saver for Brits abroad. All this with no commercials. I have Sky+ just so that I can record everything that I want to watch that's not on the Beeb and fast forward through the ads - I really hate them

Julia

I think I tend to side with 17th on this.

I didn't have a tv for a couple of years and it always enraged me the bullying letters I received, threatening me with fines and inspector visits, the wording treats you like an offending criminal. That even though I already filled a form declaring I didn't own a tv, why keep bugging me!!!

Apart from the documentaries and journalism and some of the comedy, what is so special about the bbc? we get the same dose of refried property shows, and other reality tv junk.

Some of the bbc comedy and drama is downright crap as far as quality goes, no comparison with the US productions in terms of acting, dialogue and general storyline.
Now channel 4 is a bit better, more4 is probably one of my favourite channels.

The main difference is that the license buys you the right to watch tv without ads, can live without that, I rarely watch the bbc anyway.

Why are the dvds so expensive, why are the old shows licensed to channels like uktv, when it is the public who has funded these productions in the first place? and if you have little kids, the cbeebies magazine is very poor value for money.

Why not make a special tv box or special cable service that would restrict any license payable material??? It is not a technology limitation, just the powers to be are not interested.

Hey, the commercials are always handy for a snack or a toilet break, or perhaps a bit of conversation.

I have to agree that the BBC is an excellent broadcaster and the licence fee is worth every penny. You get two top quality TV channels and five radio stations, not counting the World Service - a life saver for Brits abroad. All this with no commercials. I have Sky+ just so that I can record everything that I want to watch that's not on the Beeb and fast forward through the ads - I really hate them

Julia
YEAH It's worth every penny if you freaking use it... I do not watch it.. EVER! Ever, ever, ever, ever... EVER! How is it worth the money to me? No commercials? lol Oh wow! How awesome! I'd rather have commercials and have it for free.

I think I tend to side with 17th on this.

I didn't have a tv for a couple of years and it always enraged me the bullying letters I received, threatening me with fines and inspector visits, the wording treats you like an offending criminal. That even though I already filled a form declaring I didn't own a tv, why keep bugging me!!!

I hate that! At one point they were demanding that my partner paid a TV liscense fee... And we are like... Uhm no? We already pay one which is insane as it is... You ain't stitching us up per person.....

It seems I'm the Voice of Radio 3 around here! (Thanks, Snoopy! :eek:)

Actually, have just being 'reminded' that I owe for my license fee, and having been fined once for non-payment, will dig deep again.

There's a big for, and a big against:

The big 'for' is that a TV company that is independent of advertisers means quality programming, and the BBC are, I am informed, world leaders in quality TV.

Commercial channels and the dependency on advertising has led to the proliferation of the Big Brother (absolute rubbish) and the 'reality TV' format ... not reality at all — one critic watched a 'fly on the wall' TV documentary about a couple having an argument: 14 camera cuts, and he estimated a number of separate set-ups and takes to achive the end result ... so not 'reality TV' at all, unless by reality we mean cheap production values.

I am sick of my kids watching endless reruns of Friends, or TV channels that's just wall-to-wall US commedy programmes ... apart from the BBC, most 'freeview' TV is bargainbin television.

The big against:
The method of monitoring and collecting the license fee seems to work more on fear of fine than any knowledgeable basis — I have been told the old TV detector vans were a con, and it does seem as if the method is to treat everyone as guilty ... what if you don' want to watch BBC but do want to watch Sky? No provision ...

But scrap the license altogether? No. 'Fraid not — not unless someone can show a viable alternative that would maintain standards, and if commercial pressures are the rule, standards are the first thing to go.

Thomas

17th,
Why not get rid of the TV and buy a huge monitor and watch all your stuff online with a PC? Like you say you can download any TV programs these days so you wouldn't miss much.
If I wasn't for my wife I would ban TV in my house. TV's can separate families.
We pay by direct debit which is a bit cheaper.

In the USA the BBC pastes commercials (which are not shown in UK) at the front end of the BBC news videos, and I don't watch them often because of it. Do you think perhaps its because I don't watch the commercials that UK citizens are having to pay a tax now?

17th,
Why not get rid of the TV and buy a huge monitor and watch all your stuff online with a PC? Like you say you can download any TV programs these days so you wouldn't miss much.
If I wasn't for my wife I would ban TV in my house. TV's can separate families.
We pay by direct debit which is a bit cheaper.

I have a 50" HD plasma... It is for gaming on the PC and on my Xbox.. It is also my computer monitor.. And for watching dvds/movies... I have to have this panel because it is awesome :) And I shant give it up for a simple monitor... However I have won my fight agaisnt the TV liscense bullies that love to extort and pressure and scare people with their lies.... I no longer have to ever pay them a penny.. And they knew that even if I hadn't of been successful I would simply have refused to pay their bills... :)

In the USA the BBC pastes commercials (which are not shown in UK) at the front end of the BBC news videos, and I don't watch them often because of it. Do you think perhaps its because I don't watch the commercials that UK citizens are having to pay a tax now?

We have -always- had to pay for a tv liscense in this country lol... Only finally now are people standing up and becoming more aware of their rights, the laws and so on... :) See what is happening there is actually unlawful by the BBC and they are violating the law... Poor people here HAVE to pay the BBC yearly no matter what because that is how the BBC is "funded" however... This isn't so... As you have proven there with just one of the MANY examples of how they advertise... The other thing that makes me laugh is how you have to pay for BBC dvd's or tapes or other material... Yet you pay them every year... I didn't pay my liscense last year.. Saved something like £165.000 and it was up for renewal again now lol which has increased I can't remember the cost but along the lines of £170 That is a total saving of 335.00.. And over the years and years to come I will save THOUSANDS.

Their corrupt letters bullying you and extorting you for money is just a freaking bluff lol... I have friends who haven't paid for their liscense for like 8 years another 5 years and another 4 and they still watch the tv lol.. They go with the "funding" and unlawful behaviour of the BBC method... Which works :) Another method that works is being as stubborn as a bull and being like "take me to court then." Because they wouldn't have a freaking leg to stand on lol..... My method was pretty tidy too lol

We have become a nation of zombies... We question nothing from those that claim "authority" simply roll over play dead..... Ooooh they say I have to pay this! So I'll pay this!! ooooh no's!!! :( I have a letter in a red envelope that says "urgent" lol.... I will submit to their scare tactics...

So to those out there that see the insanity of it... You can and will win, like me... Like many friends and connections I have too... Don't tolerate bullies ;)

Back