What do different religions say about the purpose of humankind?

fourgrtkidos

Reaction score
Why are we here? If there is already a thread about this or discussion just direct me there..... but I couldn't find it in a search.
Thanks~ Michelle

XXIX. The purpose of God in creating man hath been, and will ever be, to enable him to know his Creator and to attain His Presence. To this most excellent aim, this supreme objective, all the heavenly Books and the divinely-revealed and weighty Scriptures unequivocally bear witness. Whoso hath recognized the Day Spring of Divine guidance and entered His holy court hath drawn nigh unto God and attained His Presence, a Presence which is the real Paradise, and of which the loftiest mansions of heaven are but a symbol.
(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 70)

All men have been created to carry forward an ever-advancing civilization. The Almighty beareth Me witness: To act like the beasts of the field is unworthy of man. Those virtues that befit his dignity are forbearance, mercy, compassion and loving-kindness towards all the peoples and kindreds of the earth. Say: O friends! Drink your fill from this crystal stream that floweth through the heavenly grace of Him Who is the Lord of Names. Let others partake of its waters in My name, that the leaders of men in every land may fully recognize the purpose for which the Eternal Truth hath been revealed, and the reason for which they themselves have been created.
(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 214)

"What is the purpose of our lives?"
'Abdu'l-Bahá. -- "To acquire virtues."
(Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 176)

Sean H,

You will find that I and others may take exception to Bahai cut and paste in response to a question on a neutral thread. Dont you have a mind of your own to explain your beliefs with?

Tao

Sean H,

You will find that I and others may take exception to Bahai cut and paste in response to a question on a neutral thread. Dont you have a mind of your own to explain your beliefs with?

Tao

The question was "what do different religions say about the purpose of life?" Those are some excellent quotes which directly and explicitly explain what that is from the Bahai Faith. I can think of no better answer. :)

However, perhaps I could have shortened the quotes a bit. If that would have been better, I will gladly do so in the future.

Yes, I do have a mind of my own. And, what I posted is what I believe. And, once again the question was "what do different religions say about the purpose of life?" That's some of what my religion says on that subject. And, I think it's better to quote the source whenever possible. :)

And that is what Bahai always say when they are in cut and paste frenzy :)

Regards

Tao

I don't mind cut and paste..... I guess I could have saved everyone some time if I would have thought to google other religions and just read for myself. But, I thought it would be more fun to be spoon fed.

I should edit the OP to read "and your personal opininon"..... as I am also interested in that.

Thanks,
Michelle

Why are we here? If there is already a thread about this or discussion just direct me there..... but I couldn't find it in a search.
Thanks~ Michelle

Oh I see you've already taken my advice and started a thread :eek::p

Good question.

Now I'll have to think about it.

Snoopy.

I don't mind cut and paste..... I guess I could have saved everyone some time if I would have thought to google other religions and just read for myself. But, I thought it would be more fun to be spoon fed.

I should edit the OP to read "and your personal opininon"..... as I am also interested in that.

Thanks,
Michelle

Hi Michelle,

We could all "google" a lot I suppose but where's the fun in that?! Why let facts stand in the way of a good opinion. I may indeed spoon feed you. And just to get up Tao's big flaring equine nostrils I may do some copy and paste (not "cut", surely?).

s.

Perhaps our “purpose” is to wake up to suffering and to end it. This we must do through the realisation that we are not discrete independent selves free to do whatever we want, but that all things are inter-connected. It is we who are responsible for our actions (and non-actions) and responsibility for humankind cannot be laid at the door of anything else. File this under “Buddhism” Michelle, unless or until someone points out the error of my ways.

s.

It is interesting...in this question I would think the highest ranking answers would be the cut and pastes directly from the holy scripture of any religion.

Second in value would be some statement from some high muckety muck that other high muckety mucks and the throng hold in high esteem.

Last in value for this post would be what we personally think....that would be in a thread titled, what do you think your purpose is...

I'm looking forward to Bible, Torah, Koran, Vedas, Sutra cut and paste quotes that don't need commentary in this regard...

It is interesting...in this question I would think the highest ranking answers would be the cut and pastes directly from the holy scripture of any religion.

I'm looking forward to Bible, Torah, Koran, Vedas, Sutra cut and paste quotes that don't need commentary in this regard...

You just want to get up Tao's nostrils too :p

...but if you want to be dull...:)...

"Setting the Wheel of Dhamma in Motion"

SN 56.11: Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

s.

Did you know blowing into a horses nostrils is a form of horse greeting......
....... about as close as you can get to " straight from the horses mouth".:eek:

- c -

Yes, but I don't fancy it myself!

s.

Finally (from me, for now!), wil, an absence of sutras, courtesy of Bodhidharma:

"Not relying on the words and letters, teachings are transmitted outside the scriptures; pointing directly to one's mind, then one can see into their own nature and attain buddhahood."

s.

You just want to get up Tao's nostrils too :p
Namaste Snoop...

Not exactly....but rather than post links to volumes...if I had my druthers, and if I read the OP correctly...it would be great to see actual pieces of scripture...such as that by the Bahai...

The purpose of God in creating man ....is...

I don't think they were looking to cull through huge volumes....but rather have those in the know post those great pieces that define...

And I do agree that many do not approve of massive c&p, but this appears requested...

Actually, the purpose of life can be expressed in just a few words: We are here to learn about God and to do his will. The Bible says: “The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation of man.”—Ecclesiastes 12:13.

according to Vaishnava theology:

Human life is a chance for us to turn back towards God. We are His seperated parts and parcels. Some choose to live with God eternally, others think hey "let me be independent" and voila - the material universe is created for us to all play at being so. Once we fully change our mind (or more correctly our "heart") we can go back into the eternal garden.

God's a fair person so He sends people to canvass on His behalf, or sometimes communicates Himself directly. What is said varies according to time & circumstance and who is hearing the message, but essentially the advice is being said for the same purpose.

Time rolls on...

... Neemai :)

According to my nontheistic philosophical path, our naturally appropriate purpose is to flourish -- to grow and self-actualize -- as the unique individuals we are.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Back