The Quran - through my eyes.

Peace Tao Equs :)

'Self defense' verses, are not the slaughtering of the innocents that are going on my friend, for Islam does not at all condone such violence; here is a quote from shaykh Hamza that basically sums up the type of martial Jihad that is advocated/condoned in the Quran:

"...in Islam, the only wars that are permitted are between armies and they should engage on battle fields and engage nobly...The Prophet Muhammed [sm] said: "Do not kill women or children or non-combatants, and do not kill old people or religious people", and he mentioned priests, nuns and rabbi's. And he said "Do not cut down fruit bearing trees and do not poison the well of your enemies. ...". [Quote of Shiekh Hamza Yusuf, San Hose Mercury News, sep 15, 2001]

The above type of wars can only be fought in defense, and against opression as a last resort [offensive jihad against opression, must be ordered by a valid ruler], with the strictest and most humane guidlines ever.

Peace :)

The Quran and the Jewish faith:

This doesn't quite fit in with my theme but as this issue largely stems from this chapter and chapter 9 I thought we would deal with it anyway. I will invite BB & Dauer to comment if they like.

Speaking of Jews the Quran says:

When in their insolence they transgressed (all) prohibitions, We said to them: "Be ye apes, despised and rejected." (6:177)

There is debate among the scholars as to whether this means they were literally turned into apes or their characters became as apes. Either way this verse is speaking of one group of Jews that broke the Sabbath, not all Jewish people for all time. This can be clearly shown in verse 2:65

And ye know of those of you who broke the Sabbath, how We said unto them: Be ye apes, despised and hated! (2:65)

Do you see how easy it is to take a single verse and misuse it to hate a group of people or suggest Islam teaches hate toward those people?

The first thing I would like you to ask yourself is why Islam allows a Muslim man to marry a Jewess or Christian woman if Allah wants us to hate and kill Jews and Christians? These ladies are permitted to retain and practice their faith but should accept that their children follow the faith of the father (ie Islam, which is why a Muslim woman cannot marry a man of another faith or her children could not be Muslim). The future of mankind is about having children, so why on earth would Muslims be allowed to marry 'the enemies of Islam' and to allow them to bear our children if we see non Muslims as 'evil' or something hateful? It just does not make sense does it - kill them wherever you find them, unless you want to marry them in which case you must allow them to go to church or synagogue?? :confused:

Much is said about the Jewish faith in the Quran and some of it makes very unpleasant reading if you do not put context around the verses. I happen to love a man called Dr Jamal Badawi, who has spent his life putting context around these verses and hadiths and searching for peace and dialogue between faiths. One of his main complaints is the 'cut and paste' practice of Muslims and non Muslims alike, where people use part of a verse or a whole verse, ignoring the surrounding verses and historical context. I would urge anyone (Muslims and non Muslims) to take the time to watch these 7 films of Dr Badawi speaking about misunderstood Quranic verses. This is the first film but will link to the other 6, all are about 10 minutes long:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yMfWURGcvBI&mode=related&search=Islam Quran Jamal Badawi Bible

Also have a read of this short article by Dr Badawi on Muslim & non Muslim relations:

IslamOnline - Contemporary Section

So why does the Quran contain verses that teach hatred and violence toward the Jewish faith? Simply - it does not. The verses refer to certain groups of Jews in the Arabian Steppes at the time of Prophet Mohammad (pbuh), which I believe BB or Dauer would suggest were not exactly 'practicing Judaism'.

You will find on such websites as Islam watch such utter drivel as this:

This is the story of the tragic end of the Jews of Medina. A case of ethnic cleansing, betrayal and genocide carried out by the Messenger of Allah (PBUH). The prophet raided the 2000 year old Jewish communities of Medina, killed their men, confiscated their properties, enslaved their wives and children and banished the unwanted with no provocation on the part of he Jews. The holy Prophet's sole motive was greed for their wealth and lust for their women.

Why do I call this utter rubbish? Because the Muslim community in Mecca was being persecuted and killed by the Quraysh, so were invited by the pagan Arabs to move to Yathrib (called Medina by the Muslims). About 70 Muslims and their families escaped to Medina. However, it was some time before the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) arrived with one single companion, leaving Mecca on the night the pagans tried to assaninate the Prophet. ERMMM, so he and his single companion obviously charged across the desert and wiped out the Jewish community?! This sort of sensationalist rubbish builds hatred between people, as well a total lie about historical facts.

So what realy happened in Medina? Medina was an oasis which is why it had attracted people of different faiths and Jews had chosen to live together with pagan Arabs in order for the tribes to benefit from life at the oasis. Medina had 3 groups of Jewish merchants (Banu Quinuqah, Banu Nadhir and Banu Quraizah) living there and had shared their belief in a single G-d with the Arab pagan tribes. This is why they were more willing to accept the Muslims and their rejection of pagan gods than the Meccans had been. Things started out quite well after the arrival of Mohammad, the Muslims were instructed to pray toward Jerusalem, 3 times a day as the Jews did. Muslim men were allowed to marry Jewish women and follow their dietry requirements. Prophet Mohammad made a treaty with the Jews and pagans, which allowed all religious freedom.

Over time things began to sour between the Jews and Muslims. There are two reasons for this: 1) Religious differences, some Jews would go into the mosque and laugh while Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) was speaking, they had more knowledge of Scripture so would pick holes in his stories of previous Prophets (needless to say this didn't go down well with the Prophet or his believers) and 2) Political. By this time Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) had converted most of the Arab pagans and the Ummah (Muslims) had become very politically powerful in Medina. Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) had written what is believed to be the worlds first ever constitution which dealt with government, defence, 'foreign policy', social insurance and freedom of religion (which did include a tax for non Muslims to pay for their defence).

Not all the Jews of Medina treated the Prophet in this way, some had formed friendships with the Muslims and would teach them about the Torah and indeed about the Gospels. They even showed them how to argue against his critics by using the Scriptures. The most important thing the Prophet learned from the friendly Jews was the story of Ishmael, which meant the Arabs were also sons of Abraham.

In 624 the Prophet Mohammad declared the Muslims' independence from the Jews, he made Muslims pray toward Mecca and the Kabah (believed to be where Abraham prayed to Allah). This all goes against this idea that the Muslims marched on Medina, killed the men, raped the women and took the oasis by force.

The Banu Qainuqah tribe of Jews had been banished from Medina after breaking the treaty, they went to settle in Syria. After refusing to renew the treaty and attempting to assaninate the Prophet Mohammad, the Jewish Banu Nadhir tribe were also exiled from Medina for breaking the treaty.

The pagan tribes of Mecca marched on Medina to kill the Muslims 3 times (battle of Badr in 623 and battle of Uhud in 624). The third battle was called The battle of the Trench (Battle of Ahzab) in 626. Around 10,000 Meccan fighters and their allies marched on Medina, an overwhelming number. Now comes the traitorous actions of the Jewish tribe of Banu Qurayza and the verses of the Quran that refer to these particular Jews. There was no way that the army of Medina could win a war against 10,000 Meccans so they decided on a defensive strategy. They dug a huge trench around the city of Medina. They created a siege situation, never before heard of in Arabia and totally confusing for the Meccans. The siege lasted a full month.

During this siege the Jewish Banu Qurayza tribe tried to stay neutral. They had supplied equipment for digging the trench but neither assisted or planned to join any battle. Their tribe shared a border with Medina to the south but no defensive measures had been taken here because of the treaty. However, the leader of the exiled Banu Nadhir Jewish tribe was with the Meccans and came to the Qurayza tribe to seek their support against the Muslims. He persuaded them that if they attacked from the south the Muslims would be defeated and the Jews could again control Medina. The Muslims caught wind of this betrayal and in the 3rd week of the siege the Jewish tribe signalled their readiness to join the Meccans in fighting the Muslims. The Jewish tribe insisted that the Meccans give them hostages, so they could not turn aginst the Jews but the Meccans refused. To the horror of the Qurayza tribe the Meccans gave up the siege at the end of the fourth week and left the Jews to face the consequences of betraying the treaty and planning to wipe ou the Muslims.

The Jews of Quaryza were charged with treason and all the men beheaded and all the women enslaved (other than those that converted to Islam). Were the verses refer to 'not trusting Jews' and 'hunt them and kill them wherever you find them' these verses are talking about these treasonous tribes. You can see from this that the references to Jewish people is not in relation to religious beliefs or practices but simply to political matters (therefore Jewish heritage rather than faith). Is it indicative of Jewish behaviour - No. BB or Dauer could shed more light about the practices of these Jewish tribes at that time in Arabia but it is my belief they had gone astray from their faith. This is also where we have many verses about not taking Jews or Christians as 'friends' (which can translate into leaders or teachers in faith).

To conclude, did Muslims and Jewish people throughout time go around hugging each other? No, treaties were made between tribes, the stronger being paid a tax to defend the weaker. These are political issues and were quite a new concept at the time. If you look at the constitution of Medina you can see that the Jews are also called an Ummah (a group of believers, alongside Muslims).

Bernard Lewis (an author recommended to me by BB) states that this idea of 'awful dhimmitude' of the Jews is a myth but so is the 'golden era' of peaceful co-existence and respect. The truth is in the middle somewhere, Jews and Muslims found ways to co-exist relatively peacefully, while accepting their theological differences. For anyone to take those verses of the Quran, be they Muslim or non Muslim and say 'look the Muslims must hate the Jews' has either not bothered to read about the context or is just looking for a reason to spread hatred.

Abdullah, Tao: if I can leave Muslimwoman in peace on this thread, so can you.

Thank you very much Bob, very unexpected but very welcome comment.

Abdullah if you wish to begin a thread about your vision or understanding of Islam there is nothing stopping you.

If you read my post No 18 you will see the following:

I am not saying that I believe all faiths practices are valid, clearly I do not believe Jesus (pbuh) was the son of G-d and I think worshipping him as a god is an insult to Allah. However, I do not believe it is my place to judge anothers beliefs, that is for Allah alone to do.

So either read what I write or do not bothering commenting on it.

Surah 6 is called Al-Anaam (meaning cattle/livestock)

They say: Why hath not an angel been sent down unto him? If We sent down an angel, then the matter would be judged; no further time would be allowed them (for reflection). (6:8)

I love this verse so much. How often do people ask us "why doesn't Allah show Himself or send proof of His existence". Here is our answer. Faith is called faith for a reason, could we earn a place in heaven if Allah send absolute proof that nobody could deny? Everyone would believe in an instant and the world would be over.

This Surah deals with what was obviously a great sadness for the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) that people rejected him and the message he brought. Allah comforts the Prophet that people have denied Messengers that have gone before him and that Allah has sealed some hearts and made some ears deaf. Allah also points out to the Prophet that he is not accountable for those that fail to believe.

The Surah then goes on to explain the capabilites of Allah and warn us against worshipping anything but Him. It goes on to speak of some of the Prophets Allah has guided throughout time.

And do not abuse those whom they call upon besides Allah, lest exceeding the limits they should abuse Allah out of ignorance. Thus have We made fair seeming to every people their deeds; then to their Lord shall be their return, so He will inform them of what they did. (6:108)

I have used Shakirs translation here as the other translators use very old fashioned english which is harder to understand. This verse always leaves me with the question 'do we have a choice in our beliefs?' This chapter speaks again and again that people cannot believe unless Allah wills it.

The chapter to goes on to challenge certain religious practices, saying if they are truthul then they should prove it. So food that was declared forbidden but was not forbidden in scriptures was challenged.

Say: Come, I will recite unto you that which your Lord hath made a sacred duty for you: That ye ascribe no thing as partner unto Him and that ye do good to parents, and that ye slay not your children because of penury - We provide for you and for them - and that ye draw not nigh to lewd things whether open or concealed. And that ye slay not the life which Allah hath made sacred, save in the course of justice. This He hath command you, in order that ye may discern. (6:151)

And approach not the wealth of the orphan save with that which is better, till he reach maturity. Give full measure and full weight, in justice. We task not any soul beyond its scope. And if ye give your word, do justice thereunto, even though it be (against) a kinsman; and fulfil the covenant of Allah. This He commandeth you that haply ye may remember. (6:152)

Again we are commanded to do right, be just and not kill other than in justice.

Lest ye should say: The Scripture was revealed only to two sects before us, and we in sooth were unaware of what they read; (6:156)

Allah tells us repeatedly in the Quran that He sends a warner to every nation, therefore we cannot say we were not told of His existence.

Lo! As for those who sunder their religion and become schismatics, no concern at all hast thou with them. Their case will go to Allah, Who then will tell them what they used to do. (6:159)

Looks like we are all in a lot of trouble - anyone know of any religion that does not have sects?

Whoso bringeth a good deed will receive tenfold the like thereof, while whoso bringeth an ill-deed will be awarded but the like thereof; and they will not be wronged. (6:160)

The mercy of Allah is unending.

Say: Shall I seek another than Allah for Lord, when He is Lord of all things? Each soul earneth only on its own account, nor doth any laden bear another's load. Then unto your Lord is your return and He will tell you that wherein ye differed. (6:164)

We are only accountable for our own deeds and will only be judges by our own deeds, good and bad.

I have not included very many verses of this Surah as the chapter does not deal too much with the issues we are considering, the ethics of social practices during this life.

Salaam

thanks for this post mw, I have found it very intereseting. I mean interesting. lol. Seriously, I am glad that you have done this because it gives me a chance in real simple english to understand what being a muslim is about. this is why I joined this forum originally. thnaks heaps again and keep writing. I'll be checking this regularly. love the Grey

Great reading....and is it just me or does anyone else chuckle when someone disagrees or counters what MW posts!

lol....there is no counter/disagreement possible...the title of the post is thru her eyes! All counter thoughts would be thru someone else's eyes!

gotta love it!

Oh my friends, you fill my heart to overflowing, really you do.

Thank you Wil, I worded the title very carefully so people understood that it is just my view but unfortunately some people believe that unless I remove my brain and have a pre programmed chip installed I can't be a Muslim. So sad and I have no appointments for a labotomy. :)

Salaam
MW

Surah 7 called Al-Araf (meaning The Heights)

Then verily We shall question those unto whom (Our message) hath been sent, and verily We shall question the messengers. (7:6)

Then verily We shall narrate unto them (the event) with knowledge, for We were not absent (when it came to pass). (7:7)

The weighing on that day is the true (weighing). As for those whose scale is heavy, they are the successful. (7:8)

And as for those whose scale is light: those are they who lose their souls because they used to wrong Our revelations. (7:9)

A warning to us all, be careful what we believe and what we preach - Allah knows better than we do and will know if we twist the teachings of the Prophets (pbut).

The chapter then speaks of the refusal of Iblis (Satan) to bow before man and Allah sending him to hell for showing pride in heaven. Iblis asks for reprieve until the Day of Resurrection and Allah reprieves him until that day. It them speaks of the sin of both Adam and Eve (pbut) of eating from the forbidden tree.

The reason the chapter is called The Heights begins at verse 7:46. Al-Araf is a place between heaven and hell, where heaven and hell can be seen (from the heights). On the heights will stand the witnesses (the Prophets, Messengers, true martyrs, etc). They will be called upon to witness against mankind on the Day of Judgement.

The chapter goes on to tell us of messengers that were rejected by their people and the punishments that Allah sent to those people.

Being the chapter of the Heights it deals with the afterlife and Prophets, so has little to offer our issues of ethics and social order.

Chapter 8 Al-Anfal (meaning Spoils of War)

At the time of Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) war was unavoidable. However restrictions were put on war.

(O Qureysh!) If ye sought a judgment, now hath the judgment come unto you. And if ye cease (from persecuting the believers) it will be better for you, but if ye return (to the attack) We also shall return. And your host will avail you naught, however numerous it be, and (know) that Allah is with the believers (in His Guidance). (8:19)

You can see from this verse that Allah instructs us only to fight until they stop attacking the Muslims but if they return to fight again the Muslims must be ready to defend themselves.

Tell those who disbelieve that if they cease (from persecution of believers) that which is past will be forgiven them; but if they return (thereto) then the example of the men of old hath already gone (before them, for a warning). (8:38)

And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is all for Allah. But if they cease, then lo! Allah is Seer of what they do. (8:39)

Here we see that Muslims are only to fight until persecution of the Muslims ceases. I get so annoyed when people say the Prophet Mohammad (phuh) was a blood thirsty warlord. When people were being killed in Bosnia we sent armies to protect them, to fight until the persecution ceased yet the leaders that sent the armies are seen as heroes for stopping the persecution, not as warlords.

And know that whatever ye take as spoils of war, lo! a fifth thereof is for Allah, and for the messenger and for the kinsman (who hath need) and orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, if ye believe in Allah and that which We revealed unto Our slave on the Day of Discrimination, the day when the two armies met. And Allah is Able to do all things. (8:41)

Spoils of war was simply a part of life in those days, yet we see that a portion must be given to the Prophet and the needy. It is noteworthy that the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) did not die a rich man, his aim was never to gain wealth or power for himself. He ensured that everyone in his community was taken care of.

Those of them with whom thou madest a treaty, and then at every opportunity they break their treaty, and they keep not duty (to Allah).(8:56)
If thou comest on them in the war, deal with them so as to strike fear in those who are behind them, that haply they may remember. (8:57)

If thou fearest treachery from any group, throw back (their covenant) to them, (so as to be) on equal terms: for Allah loveth not the treacherous. (8:58)

Again we see talk of treaties and those who break them. It also says that if the other tribe break the treaty then the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) should declare the treaty null and void, so as not to also break the treaty.

And if they incline to peace, incline thou also to it, and trust in Allah. Lo! He, even He, is the Hearer, the Knower. (8:61)

The Prophet is not instructed or inclined to go to war for the sake of it. So if the other tribe requests peace, whether before fighting begins or after it has begun then the Muslims must accept peace.

There are 75 verses in chapter 8 ( just in case you think I have stopped half way through).

Salaam

funny,I havent read anything yet that I dont agree with???????

Hi Grey

Erm, how about ...... chocolate brownies for breakfast is a healthy diet?

Sorry I will try to get back to this tonight but am busy setting up my website and blog - only 5 weeks left until I go home YIPEE but very short amount of time to finish the project off YIPES.

Salaam

Salaam MW..

Of course you WILL IMMEDIATELY post a link to your website and blog for us at their moment of birthing ? I wouldn't want to miss that for anything in the world ! I've got a place in my Bookmarks bar reserved for it already.

flow....:)

Hi Flow

Thank you my friend (isn't moral support heartening :D). I have posted the link to the blog in General, so people can tell me what is wrong with it and I hope the site will be finished next week and of course I will need reviews and 'that looks rubbish' comments.

Salaam
MW

Surah 8 is called Al-Anfal (meaning Spoils of war) the chapter has 75 verses and was revealed after the Battle of Badr, which I have spoken about before. This Surah deals with military conduct.

Many people ask why a Scripture from G-d should talk about the spoils of war. The Quran deals with all aspects of society, we are given rules for everything but rules that allow us to live in a decent, ethical society. 1400 years ago, in any society in the world, tribes went to war with each other and to the winner went the spoils (land, money, women, animals, stores, etc).

The chapter begins by talking about how Allah protects and helps the believers during just wars. Remember that the Meccans had come to Medina with a huge army and the Muslims were badly betrayed. Much of the first half of this chapter deals with building the moral of the Muslims.

Tell those who disbelieve that if they cease (from persecution of believers) that which is past will be forgiven them; but if they return (thereto) then the example of the men of old hath already gone (before them, for a warning).
(8:38)

Again the Muslims are told that if the Meccans stop the oppression and attempts to kill the Muslims cease then peace should be offered. However, the Muslims had beaten the Meccans before and if they continued their persecution then the Muslims would beat them again. Sounds fair enough to me.

And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is all for Allah. But if they cease, then lo! Allah is Seer of what they do. (8:39)

Read that verse slowly. Yes it says fight them (the pagan Meccans) until the persecution ceases and their religion is for Allah .... BUT if they cease (ie fighting and oppressing the Muslims).

This verse has been translated on one of the Muslim watch type websites as follows:

Fully armed, relentless and endless war against all unbelievers, armed or not, with the intention of taking plunder and subduing them (Quran 8:39)

Do you see how people can get it so absolutely wrong when they fail to understand the context of the verses they are reading. :mad: I get so tired of reading how this verse translates into 'fight everyone until the whole world is Muslim'. At the time there were a few hundred Muslims fighting for survival in their own country, how on earth were they going to fight the whole world? Let us have a little logic here.

And know that whatever ye take as spoils of war, lo! a fifth thereof is for Allah, and for the messenger and for the kinsman (who hath need) and orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, if ye believe in Allah and that which We revealed unto Our slave on the Day of Discrimination, the day when the two armies met. And Allah is Able to do all things. (8:41)

Spoils of war were divided between the soldiers and the whole society, not used to make the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) rich as some would have you believe.

The chapter again deals with building the morale of the Muslims and giving back treaties if people betray the Muslims.

Make ready for them all thou canst of (armed) force and of horses tethered, that thereby ye may dismay the enemy of Allah and your enemy, and others beside them whom ye know not. Allah knoweth them. Whatsoever ye spend in the way of Allah it will be repaid to you in full, and ye will not be wronged.
(8:60)

Here Allah tell the Muslims to ready themselves for war. Note the use of the term 'all thou canst', as said before the Muslims were far outnumbered.

Again as I have said before, when violence is mentioned in the Quran it is generally followed by:

And if they incline to peace, incline thou also to it, and trust in Allah. Lo! He, even He, is the Hearer, the Knower. (8:61)

Even for those of you that do not believe the Quran was revealed by G-d but was made up by a man to control people, please ask yourself why this so called 'blood thirsty warlord' would include so many verses that say if the enemy inclines to peace then the Muslims should as well? Would a warlord make that up?

It is not fitting for a prophet that he should have prisoners of war until he hath thoroughly subdued the land. Ye look for the temporal goods of this world; but Allah looketh to the Hereafter: And Allah is Exalted in might, Wise. (8:67)

What the verse is saying is that the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) should not take prisoners of war until he has secured the battlefield, in other words keep fighting until you have 'won the day' (that is what it was called in england at the time). The secret to this verse is in the statement 'ye look for the temporal goods of this world'. This was the first real war the Muslims had been in as a group and Allah was reminding the Prophet that the Muslims were fighting for a cause, not for riches. This was held out in the next battle (battle of Uhud), when some Muslims left the fight to take prisoners of war for ransom and the Meccan 'cavalry' held in reserve attacked, injuring the Prophet.

I would like to digress from our search for ethics and moral teachings just for a moment. This verse is so often used to suggest Islam is a religion of violence, so I would like to add some historical context. Prior to Islam the tribes or Arabia used to raid each others encampments, in a sort of tit for tat game. If your tribe was doing badly then you raided a tribe that was doing well, you stole some of their animals and took hostages to ransom. This practice was accepted by all the tribes, as long as nobody was killed. If someone was killed during a raid then your tribe had to go and kill someone from the attackers tribe and so it went on, often for generations. So the taking of captives for ransom was a normal and accepted practice. With that knowledge imagine the first real battle for the Muslims, they were outnumbered, scared and used to taking captives to ransom for goods or money. Allah wanted them to understand that they were fighting for a cause, the days of fighting for profit were over, so you couldn't stop in the middle of a battle and spirit away a couple of captives to sell back later. You had to stay and fight until the Muslims won the day.

8:67—“It is not fitting for an Apostle that he should have prisoners of war until He thoroughly subdued the land….” (Allah insisting Prophet to kill all the prisoners, and should not keep any prisoners alive)

This is from a site that claims to be written by ex Muslims. Can someone explain to me how you can have any prisoners of war after you have won the battle, if you are not to keep any prisoners alive? :confused::confused::confused: This is how people become so misled by what Islam really teaches, they read rubbish like this.

O Prophet! Say unto those captives who are in your hands: If Allah knoweth any good in your hearts He will give you better than that which hath been taken from you, and will forgive you. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (8:70)

So these would be the captives that they were told to kill?? :confused::p

As you can see the chapter about the spoils of war tells Muslims to distribute those spoils fairly among the community and to fight for the cause, not for profit.

Salaam

Surah 9 Al-Tawba (meaning repentence/dispensation) has 129 verses.

Interesting fact - this is the only Surah of the Quran that does not begin with the words In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful.

The beginning of this chapter needs some historical context. This was after the peace treaty of Hudaibiyah with the Quraysh. Islam had spread to about a third of Arabia and was by then well organised. The peace treaty meant that Muslims and pagan arabs lived peacefully side by side. However the leaders of the Quraysh tribe didn't like the spread of Islam and the power that was bringing to the Muslims, so they broke the treaty and began attacking Muslims. They started to bring together an army .......

Freedom from obligation (is proclaimed) from Allah and His messenger toward those of the idolaters with whom ye made a treaty. (9:1)

Travel freely in the land four months, and know that ye cannot escape Allah and that Allah will confound the disbelievers (in His Guidance). (9:2)

And a proclamation from Allah and His messenger to all men on the day of the Greater Pilgrimage that Allah is free from obligation to the idolaters, and (so is) His messenger. So, if ye repent, it will be better for you; but if ye are averse, then know that ye cannot escape Allah. Give tidings (O Muhammad) of a painful doom to those who disbelieve, (9:3)

The historical context above, together with verses we have looked at already saying that if someone breaks a peace treaty that the Muslims can also break it, gives the explanation for the opening 3 verses above. The Quraysh had broken the treaty, so were given 4 months of freedom to re-evaluate their position. At the end of the 4 months if the Quraysh did not either surrender or convert to Islam then the Muslims would go to war with them.

Excepting those of the idolaters with whom ye (Muslims) have a treaty, and who have since abated nothing of your right nor have supported anyone against you. (As for these), fulfil their treaty to them till their term. Lo! Allah loveth those who keep their duty (unto Him). (9:4)

As usual we have the verse which tells Muslims they cannot fight with anyone that has not broken the treaty. But for those that had broken the treaty:

Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (9:5)

These were people that were building an army to kill the Muslims.

And if anyone of the idolaters seeketh thy protection (O Muhammad), then protect him so that he may hear the Word of Allah, and afterward convey him to his place of safety. That is because they are a folk who know not.
(9:6)

What was all that rubbish about kill everyone, leave no captive alive? And this verse was a long time after the Battle of Badr.

The next verses talk about fighting those that fight you but hold to treaties when people do not break them.

And if they break their pledges after their treaty (hath been made with you) and assail your religion, then fight the heads of disbelief - Lo! they have no binding oaths - in order that they may desist. (9:12)

Here it talks about fighting the leaders, the chiefs.

Will ye not fight a folk who broke their solemn pledges, and purposed to drive out the messenger and did attack you first? What! Fear ye them? Now Allah hath more right that ye should fear Him, if ye are believers (9:13)

Here it states very plainly who Muslims should fight.

The next verses talk about Mecca, that the believers should tend the Kabbah. It encourages the Muslims to see that idolators were keeping the holy place of the Kabbah. Some of the Muslims had loyalty issues, many had come from the Quraysh tribe and still had family in Mecca.

O ye who believe! Choose not your fathers nor your brethren for friends if they take pleasure in disbelief rather than faith. Whoso of you taketh them for friends, such are wrong-doers. (9:23)

Say: If your fathers, and your sons, and your brethren, and your wives, and your tribe, and the wealth ye have acquired, and merchandise for which ye fear that there will no sale, and dwellings ye desire are dearer to you than Allah and His messenger and striving in His way: then wait till Allah bringeth His command to pass. Allah guideth not wrongdoing folk. (9:24)

These verses are obviously dealing with the divided loyalties some people felt.

Allah hath given you victory on many fields and on the day of Huneyn, when ye exulted in your multitude but it availed you naught, and the earth, vast as it is, was straitened for you; then ye turned back in flight; (9:25)

Do you see how this blood thirsty Muslim army wreaked havoc in the land, killing everything before it!!!! Yes they were scared and at times even ran away from a fight. Not quite the image now portrayed by some.

Another worry for the Muslims in fighting the Quraysh at Mecca was that of trade. Mecca was the largest and wealthiest trading town in Arabia, so if the Quraysh were defeated what would happen to the economy:

O ye who believe! The idolaters only are unclean. So let them not come near the Inviolable Place of Worship after this their year. If ye fear poverty (from the loss of their merchandise) Allah shall preserve you of His bounty if He will. Lo! Allah is Knower, Wise. (9:28)

Allah assures the Muslims that if He wills they will thrive in Mecca.

Many of the verses now deal with morale building again. Verses then deal with those Muslims that made excuses for not going to battle, asking leave to stay behind with the old and the women (cowards). There were also some that refused to fight because they didin't feel they got their fair share of alms....

And of them is he who defameth thee in the matter of the alms. If they are given thereof they are content, and if they are not given thereof, behold! they are enraged. (9:58)

To which Allah responds:

The alms are only for the poor and the needy, and those who collect them, and those whose hearts are to be reconciled, and to free the captives and the debtors, and for the cause of Allah, and (for) the wayfarer; a duty imposed by Allah. Allah is Knower, Wise. (9:60)

Many of the next verses deal with wealthy hypocrites (unbelievers) refuse to go to fight.

If Allah bring thee back (from the campaign) unto a party of them and they ask of thee leave to go out (to fight), then say unto them: Ye shall never more go out with me nor fight with me against a foe. Ye were content with sitting still the first time. So sit still, with the useless. (9:83)

(this reminds me of my husband, he always waits until I have just finished the washing up before he asks if I need help :D).

Not unto the weak nor unto the sick nor unto those who can find naught to spend is any fault (to be imputed though they stay at home) if they are true to Allah and His messenger. Not unto the good is there any road (of blame). Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (9:91)

Nor unto those whom, when they came to thee (asking) that thou shouldst mount them, thou didst tell: I cannot find whereon to mount you. They turned back with eyes flowing with tears, for sorrow that they could not find the means to spend. (9:92)

The road (of blame) is only against those who ask for leave of thee (to stay at home) when they are rich. They are content to be with the useless. Allah hath sealed their hearts so that they know not. (9:93)

I believe these verses explain well what was happening at the time. Each man had to provide his own weapons and horse/camel. Those that could not attend the battle because of lack of ability to provide for their defence were not blamed. Blame was reserved for the wealthy that had the means but did not use them to fight for the cause.

They will swear by Allah unto you, when ye return unto them, that ye may let them be. Let them be, for lo! they are unclean, and their abode is hell as the reward for what they used to earn. (9:95)

But as usual these people were not to be harmed.

Another issue at the time was the Bedouin tribes:

The wandering Arabs are more hard in disbelief and hypocrisy, and more likely to be ignorant of the limits which Allah hath revealed unto His messenger. And Allah is Knower, Wise. (9:97)

And of the wandering Arabs there is he who taketh that which he expendeth (for the cause of Allah) as a loss, and awaiteth (evil) turns of fortune for you (that he may be rid of it). The evil turn of fortune will be theirs. Allah is Hearer, Knower. (9:98)

And of the wandering Arabs there is he who believeth in Allah and the Last Day, and taketh that which he expendeth and also the prayers of the messenger as acceptable offerings in the sight of Allah. Lo! verily it is an acceptable offering for them. Allah will bring them into His mercy. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (9:99)

Many of these verses are telling the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) that among all people around him are real believers, non believers and those who claim to believe but do not, as demonstrated in this verse:

And among those around you of the wandering Arabs there are hypocrites, and among the townspeople of Al-Madinah (there are some who) persist in hypocrisy whom thou (O Muhammad) knowest not. We, We know them, and We shall chastise them twice; then they will be relegated to a painful doom. (9:101)

And the believers should not all go out to fight. Of every troop of them, a party only should go forth, that they (who are left behind) may gain sound knowledge in religion, and that they may warn their folk when they return to them, so that they may beware. (9:122)

This is Islam in action, not all rushing around to kill people but only some to fight, others to study the faith and when their companions return they should share their new knowledge.

There hath come unto you a messenger, (one) of yourselves, unto whom aught that ye are overburdened is grievous, full of concern for you, for the believers full of pity, merciful. (9:128)

Now, if they turn away (O Muhammad) say: Allah sufficeth me. There is no Allah save Him. In Him have I put my trust, and He is Lord of the Tremendous Throne. (9:129)

Here is the true Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) that you do not see on the anti Islamic sites. A man that cared deeply about his people, would fight hard to defend them but not a warlord that enjoyed war and killing.

Salaam

Oh look at the big baby on your new avatar, awwwwww how cute.

I had intended to keep the historical context to a minimum but it is very difficult as it changes how people perceive the verses so much when they understand what was happening at the time they were written. Thanks for sticking in with me so long.

Salaam

Back