Is there only one true God ?

In view of all of this, it is evidently important for us to know what God’s name is. Do you know God’s personal name?

this is the bit where I jump in wearing robes and playing cymbals and start singing ... :D

"Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare... "

... Neemai :)

Originally Posted by mee
In view of all of this, it is evidently important for us to know what God’s name is. Do you know God’s personal name?
this is the bit where I jump in wearing robes and playing cymbals and start singing ... :D

"Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare... "

... Neemai :)
Namaste Neemai and mee,

Tis time to transcend language Jah? And dance around the burning bush.

I am ... aum

Sounding like a broken record, tis the reason I so enjoy Sufi Dances of Universal Peace, celebrating, honoring, revering all the names of G!d in various traditions and languages.

Sounding like a broken record, tis the reason I so enjoy Sufi Dances of Universal Peace, celebrating, honoring, revering all the names of G!d in various traditions and languages.
Yeah OK. I seem to remember passing this way before. :)

The point I was trying to make was that God is paradoxically unknowable, although all of us may know him in our own way. But I'd have to add that if the God we know is one of war and victory, or blood and money, then that would have to be our own worst nature we were worshipping, not God.

Now let's dance.

Namaste Neemai and mee,

Tis time to transcend language Jah? And dance around the burning bush.

I am ... aum

The name is a form of a Hebrew verb ha·wah′ (הוה), meaning “to become,” and actually signifies “He Causes to Become.” so, God’s name identifies him as the One who progressively fulfills his promises and unfailingly realizes his purposes. Only the true God could bear such a meaningful name.

or even make melody with our lips

I shall laud Jehovah according to his righteousness,
And I will make melody to the name of Jehovah the Most High.PSALM 7;17

(Psalm 9:2) I will rejoice and exult in you, I will make melody to your name, O Most High.

(Isaiah 25:1) O Jehovah, you are my God. I exalt you, I laud your name, for you have done wonderful things, counsels from early times, in faithfulness, in trustworthiness.

l

“EVERYONE who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” (Romans 10:13) With these words the apostle Paul stressed how vital it is for us to know God’s name.

How do you count things like gods and spirits that you cannot see or touch or otherwise sense?

Not everything is countable. If I understand quantum theory correctly, it is not possible to count the number of electrons in a particular atom at a particular time; you can only measure the average ratio of electrons to protons and neutrons for a collection of atoms of a given kind. The ability to count things depends on strong criteria for deciding when "a thing" is really "two things" or "just one thing". I don't thing our culture as such criteria for spirits or gods.

Yes I know, as a scion of the People of the Book, I'm supposed to believe in monotheism. If I choose atheism (no god) I am damned, but remain (perhaps) a man of reason. Yet if I believe in more than one god, I am not only damned, I'm ignorant and superstitious, since I violate both church and science.

Since the time I realized I no longer believed in the literal truth of the Bible, I've been unable to understand what criteria are to be used to determine whether phenomena of divine origin are the work of a single deity, the product of divine collaboration among many gods, or the vector sum of mutually antagonistic gods. And yet the answer seems to have been such a major point of contention. Try to make a Muslim understand how the Christian Trinity is still monotheism.

How do we count spirits?

For example, take my mind. (Please!) Although like most of you I have a strong sense of having a single consciousness (and there are good evolutionary arguments why this should be the norm among complex animals). But there are numerous reports of people with multiple personalities. If a divinity had multiple personalities, would it be one god or many? Freud and others have postulated multiple components (id, ego, superego, subconscious, etc.) Is the mind one or many? Back when I frequently had to solve technical design problems, it often happened that my "subconscious" worked on the problem while I consciously attended to other things, and later delivered a solution in the form of an eureka experience, as though it happened all at once. Is the subconscious the same spirit as my mind or my conscious mind?

But since I am unpersuaded both by the conclusive arguments for the existence of a god, and by the conclusive arguments against god, if I ask an honest question whether there are aspects of this world that make it reasonable to hypothesize a divine (or spiritual) origin, what criteria would I use to decide whether a positive answer implies that there is one deity (as monotheistic religions proclaim), two deities (as dualistic religions, such as Manichaeism, proclaim), or more (as pantheisms proclaim)?

I ask again: how do you count gods? Maybe if I can figure out how to count, I can answer the question of how many gods there are.

Namiste.

Jehovah himself said that he would ‘have his name declared in all the earth’ (Ex 9:16;
But, in fact, for this cause I have kept you in existence, for the sake of showing you my power and in order to have my name declared in all the earth.

From the rising of the sun until its setting
Jehovah’s name is to be praised. psalm 113;3

For from the sun’s rising even to its setting my name will be great among the nations, and in every place sacrificial smoke will be made, a presentation will be made to my name, even a clean gift; because my name will be great among the nations,” Jehovah of armies has said. MALACHI 1;11
have you ever heard anyone sing or shout out the long word “Hal·le·lu′·jah”? That is a Hebrew word and it means “Praise Jah!”

MOLECH, Ashtoreth, Baal, Dagon, Merodach, Zeus, Hermes, and Artemis are some of the gods and goddesses mentioned by name in the Bible. (Leviticus 18:21; Judges 2:13; 16:23; Jeremiah 50:2; Acts 14:12; 19:24) Yet, only Jehovah is identified in the Scriptures as the Almighty God. In a victory song, Moses led his people in singing: “Who among the gods is like you, O Jehovah?”—Exodus 15:11.

The Bible identifies Jehovah as the only true God. (Psalm 83:18; John 17:3) The prophet Isaiah recorded God’s own words when he said: “Before me there was no God formed, and after me there continued to be none. I—I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior.”—Isaiah 43:10, 11.
All the other gods are not merely inferior to Jehovah. In most cases they are nonexistent—strictly figments of human imagination. The Bible refers to these gods as “the product of the hands of man . . . , which cannot see or hear or eat or smell.” (Deuteronomy 4:28) The Bible plainly teaches that Jehovah is the only true God.

There is only one true God and that is the tiune God of the Bible...Father, Son, and Holy Spirit...and those that repent of sin and turn from all other gods to Christ as Lord and Savior will be saved...

(Acts 4:12) "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

In Love

There is only one God and that is the Triune God of the Bible - the only way to go to Him is through the door...Christ himself...

(John 10:9) "I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.

As for other doors...

(John 10:1) "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter by the door into the fold of the sheep, but climbs up some other way, he is a thief and a robber. (NAS95)

For...

(Acts 4:12) "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved." (NAS95)

They that honor the Son honor the Father.

Christianity is the only "religion" that shows God as being just in forgiving/pardoning sinners since the sin of the sinner that is pardoned was condemned in Christ - we have a just Judge!!

(Romans 3:24-26) being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed; for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just AND the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. (NAS95)

A judge that just sweep sin under the carpet and accepts good works as a "payback" is not just.

??? A judge who punishes someone who had nothing to do with the wrong has no justice at all.

There is only one God and that is the Triune God of the Bible - the only way to go to Him is through the door...Christ himself...
Yes there is only one God and the bible tells us the name of the true God , it tells us in PSALM 83;18

That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth. psalm 83;18

This God is the true God of the bible and taking in knowledge of this true God is the way to go , if we are after everlasting life , That is what Jesus said and taking in knowledge of Jesus is also what we such do .

This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. JOHN 17;3

I cant find any where in the bible where Jesus taught the trinity but many people have taken on manmade doctrines and mixed them up with bible teachings and then called it a trinity. i think i will stick to true bible teachings it leads to everlasting life

As for other doors...

As for the other doors? What? like, this one?

"Ya ayyuha alnnasu othkuroo niAAmata Allahi AAalaykum hal min khaliqin ghayru Allahi yarzuqukum mina alssama-i waal-ardi la ilaha illa huwa faanna tu/fakoona"

((("O men! Call to mind the grace of Allah unto you! is there a creator, other than Allah, to give you sustenance from heaven or earth? There is no god but He: how then are ye deluded away from the Truth?")))

??? A judge who punishes someone who had nothing to do with the wrong has no justice at all.

You are missing the most glorious component of this whole picture...love! Mercy!

Whose idea was it?? Only the Father's?? Or was Christ in-line with the will of the Father?

Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isa 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

Then we have Christ speaking...

Joh 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

What love and what mercy so that many can go free and spread the glory of the grace of God.

Linker

Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Yes there is only one God and the bible tells us the name of the true God , it tells us in PSALM 83;18

This God is the true God of the bible and taking in knowledge of this true God is the way to go , if we are after everlasting life , That is what Jesus said and taking in knowledge of Jesus is also what we such do .

This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. JOHN 17;3

I cant find any where in the bible where Jesus taught the trinity but many people have taken on manmade doctrines and mixed them up with bible teachings and then called it a trinity. i think i will stick to true bible teachings it leads to everlasting life

But...please notice what scripture says in the book of Genesis...you have...

Ge 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

The word for God here is a plural word...which is confirmed down further...

Ge 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Christ was sought after by making himself equal to God - they wanted to stone Him...and God the Father said...

Heb 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

There is, according to scripture, one God made up of three persons...

Linker

Ro 9:5 whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

As for the other doors? What? like, this one?

"Ya ayyuha alnnasu othkuroo niAAmata Allahi AAalaykum hal min khaliqin ghayru Allahi yarzuqukum mina alssama-i waal-ardi la ilaha illa huwa faanna tu/fakoona"

((("O men! Call to mind the grace of Allah unto you! is there a creator, other than Allah, to give you sustenance from heaven or earth? There is no god but He: how then are ye deluded away from the Truth?")))

Christianity is the only "religion" that shows God as being just in forgiving/pardoning sinners since the sin of the sinner that is pardoned was condemned in Christ - we have a just Judge!!

(Romans 3:24-26) being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed; for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just AND the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. (NAS95)

A judge that just sweep sin under the carpet and accepts good works as a "payback" is not just.

OneForTruth;131133 (Acts 4:12) "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved." In Love[/quote said:
Yes Jesus plays a very very big part in the outworking of Jehovahs purpose for the earth . but when it is all finished Jesus will hand the kingdom back to his God and father Jehovah.

Next, the end, when he(JESUS) hands over the kingdom to his God and Father,(JEHOVAH) when he has brought to nothing all government and all authority and power. 25 For he must rule as king until [God] has put all enemies under his feet. 26 As the last enemy, death is to be brought to nothing. 27 For [God] “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that it is with the exception of the one who subjected all things to him. 28 But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone.
1 corinthians 15;24-28

yes Jesus has been given great aurthority he has recieved kingship and it was given to him by his father Jehovah ......Daniel 7;13-14

Hey Linker...welcome to CR !

Are you and OneForTruth identical twins with "linked" brain wave patterns, or do you just like to post stuff identical to what others have posted to try and bore us all to frustration ?

Or...maybe you're just another "mocking bird" clone.

Besides this section at CR is mostly used to address spiritual matters apart from formal religious dogma and belief. Maybe your posts in this vein would have more impact if you posted them in the Christianity section.

Just a suggestion, but the monitors, who are forever lurking, might eventually suggest just that. I can't speak for them nor would I. It's all just a well-meant suggestion on my part.

Again...welcome.

flow....;)

Namaste Linker,

First three posts into one thread you are on a roll!

Flow has a point, although it is lost on many. Over here in the belief and spirituality board ones quotes of biblical scripture have no more value than another's quote from the Quran, Tao te Ching, the Vedas, or...

So what truly benefits discussion and contemplation, is well, er, um, contemplation and discussion. (you can pick the order)

So your a newbie, and you get a free pass. And in reading thru this thread it would appear your posts are more than appropriate as they are so similar to the norm, how would one know? Now, one may have some scriptural concept they wish to expound upon, but quote after quote from the same book doesn't indicate that one is exploring and contemplating, just that one can cut and paste, and we are all excellent at that skill.

Back