Quotes from Baha'i sources:

Every Christ came to the world of mankind...

It is evident, then, that the manifestation of the Messiah was synonymous with universal mercy. His providence was universal, and His teachings were for all. His lights were not restricted to a few.

Every Christ came to the world of mankind. Therefore, we must investigate the foundation of divine religion, discover its reality, reestablish it and spread its message throughout the world so that it may become the source of illumination and enlightenment to mankind, the spiritually dead become alive, the spiritually blind receive sight and those who are inattentive to God become awakened.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 444

Not in words only, but in deed and in truth...

Put into practice the Teaching of Bahá'u'lláh, that of kindness to all nations. Do not be content with showing friendship in words alone, let your heart burn with loving kindness for all who may cross your path.
Oh, you of the Western nations, be kind to those who come from the Eastern world to sojourn among you.

Forget your conventionality when you speak with them; they are not accustomed to it. To Eastern peoples this demeanour seems cold, unfriendly. Rather let your manner be sympathetic. Let it be seen that you are filled with universal love.

When you meet a Persian or any other stranger, speak to him as to a friend; if he seems to be lonely try to help him, give him of your willing service; if he be sad console him, if poor succour him, if oppressed rescue him, if in misery comfort him.

In so doing you will manifest that not in words only, but in deed and in truth, you think of all men as your brothers.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 15

The mission of the prophets...

The mission of the prophets, the revelation of the holy books, the manifestation of the heavenly teachers and the purpose of divine philosophy all center in the training of the human realities so that they may become clear and pure as mirrors and reflect the light and love of the Sun of Reality

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 262

Whoso maketh the slightest possible difference...

Beware, O believers in the Unity of God, lest ye be tempted to make any distinction between any of the Manifestations of His Cause, or to discriminate against the signs that have accompanied and proclaimed their Revelation.

This indeed is the true meaning of Divine unity....

Be ye assured, moreover, that the works and acts of each and every one of these Manifestations of God ... are all ordained by God, and are a reflection of His will and Purpose.

Whoso maketh the slightest possible difference between their persons, their words, their messages, their acts and manners, hath indeed disbelieved in God, hath repudiated His signs and betrayed the Cause of His Messengers.

` Baha'u'llah Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah
http://www.interfaith.org/forum/#5

All the Prophets are the Temples of the Cause..

It is clear and evident to thee that all the Prophets are the Temples of the Cause of God, Who have appeared clothed in divers attire. If thou wilt observe with discriminating eyes, thou wilt behold Them all abiding in the same tabernacle, soaring in the same heaven, seated upon the same throne, uttering the same speech, and proclaiming the same Faith.

Such is the unity of those Essences of Being, those Luminaries of infinite and immeasurable splendor! Wherefore, should one of these Manifestations of Holiness proclaim saying: "I am the return of all the Prophets," He, verily, speaketh the truth. In like manner, in every subsequent Revelation, the return of the former Revelation is a fact, the truth of which is firmly established....

The other station is the station of distinction, and pertaineth to the world of creation, and to the limitations thereof. In this respect, each Manifestation of God hath a distinct individuality, a definitely prescribed mission, a predestined revelation, and specially designated limitations. Each one of them is known by a different name, is characterized by a special attribute, fulfils a definite mission, and is entrusted with a particular Revelation.

~ Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 51

Consort with all the people of the world...

"We trust that God will assist the kings of the earth to illuminate and adorn the earth with the refulgent light of the Sun of Justice. At one time We spoke in the language of the Law, at another time in the language of the Truth and the Way; and the ultimate object and remote aim was the showing forth of this high supreme station. And God sufficeth for witness."

"O friends, consort with all the people of the world with joy and fragrance. If there be to you a word or essence whereof others than you are devoid, communicate it and show it forth in the language of affection and kindness: if it be received and be effective the object is attained, and if not leave it to him, and with regard to him deal not harshly but pray. The language of kindness is the lodestone of hearts and the food of the soul; it stands in the relation of ideas to words, and is as an horizon for the shining of the Sun of Wisdom and Knowledge."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, A Traveller's Narrative, p. 43

Only in the hands of the expert jeweler...

Thanks be to God that thou hast obtained that which was sought by all prophets and holy souls; namely, the knowledge of God and the love of God. First, the knowledge; and, second, His unfathomable love. Also the different members of thy family, who followed thee and who obtained that which thou didst obtain.

This is a great gift from God and hath no equal; although in this physical world its greatness is not perceivable, nor its nature clearly known, yet in the spiritual world it shineth like the sun.

So long as the pearl remaineth hidden at the bottom of the sea, its value is not known nor its brilliancy and fineness seen, it is only when in the hands of the expert jeweler that its great beauty becomes revealed.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v2, p. 415

O thou who art attracted..

O thou who art attracted to the Call of the Kingdom!

Thy letter was presented and I was informed of thy expression. And it was glorious proof of thine abundant reliance upon the Kingdom of thy Lord and of thine excessive love for thy great Master.

Know thou, verily, the Kingdom is a magnet of the divine world and it attracteth the iron of pure hearts which are capable of the bounties of the Lord of Might. Blessed art thou, for thou hast turned unto the Lord of Heaven, thy heart hath relied upon the light of guidance, thou hast advanced toward the center of righteousness, and thy spirit is cheered by the bounty of the Supreme Concourse.

Verily, I beseech God to strengthen thee with the Most Great Power, so that the Spirit may pour upon thee the teachings of the Beauty of El-ABHA, and to baptize thee with the water of life, the fire of the love of God and with the spirit of confirmation among the maid-servants.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v1, p. 227

For God the end is the same thing as the beginning

For God the end is the same thing as the beginning. So the reckoning of days, weeks, months and years, of yesterday and today, is connected with the terrestrial globe; but in the sun there is no such thing -- there is neither yesterday, today nor tomorrow, neither months nor years: all are equal. In the same way the Word of God is purified from all these conditions and is exempt from the boundaries, the laws and the limits of the world of contingency. Therefore, the reality of prophethood, which is the Word of God and the perfect state of manifestation, did not have any beginning and will not have any end; its rising is different from all others and is like that of the sun.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 152

Concerning Christ..

As to thy question concerning Christ: Know thou, He was perfect in respect of spirit as well as body. His material (body) was a perfect body in every respect; none of His material conditions were imperfect at all, inasmuch as imperfection is contrary to perfection. His heavenly condition was also a perfect one, comprising all the divine perfections. Reflect thou upon these words, so that the door of knowledge may be opened before thy face.

~~ Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v1, p. 228

And what is love?

Know thou assuredly that-

Love is the mystery of divine revelations!

Love is the effulgent manifestation!

Love is the spiritual fulfillment!

Love is the light of the Kingdom!

Love is the breath of the Holy Spirit inspired into the human spirit!

Love is the cause of the manifestation of the Truth (God) in the phenomenal world!

Love is the necessary tie proceeding from the realities of things through divine creation!

Love is the means of the most great happiness in both the material and spiritual worlds!

Love is a light of guidance in the dark night!

Love is a bond between the Creator and the creature in the inner world!

Love is the cause of development to every enlightened man!

Love is the greatest law in this vast universe of God!

Love is the one law which causeth and controlleth order among the existing atoms!

Love is the universal magnetic power between the planets and stars shining in the lofty firmament!

Love is the cause of unfoldment to a searching mind, of the secrets deposited in the universe by the Infinite!

Love is the spirit of life in the bountiful body of the world!

Love is the cause of the civilization of nations in this mortal world!

Love is the highest honor to every righteous nation!

(Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v3, p. 525-526

In praise of knowledge, crafts and art...

In the third Tajalli (effulgence) of the Book of Tajalliyat (Book of Effulgences) We have mentioned:

"Arts, crafts and sciences uplift the world of being, and are conducive to its exaltation. Knowledge is as wings to man's life, and a ladder for his ascent. Its acquisition is incumbent upon everyone. The knowledge of such sciences, however, should be acquired as can profit the peoples of the earth, and not those which begin with words and end with words. Great indeed is the claim of scientists and craftsmen on the peoples of the world. Unto this beareth witness the Mother Book in this conspicuous station."

In truth, knowledge is a veritable treasure for man, and a source of glory, of bounty, of joy, of exaltation, of cheer and gladness unto him. Happy the man that cleaveth unto it, and woe betide the heedless.

~ Baha'u'llah, Epistle to the Son of the Wolf, p. 26

Conversations...

`Can a departed soul converse with someone still on earth?'

`A conversation can be held, but not as our conversation. There is no doubt that the forces of the higher worlds interplay with the forces of this plane. The heart of man is open to inspiration; this is spiritual communication. As in a dream one talks with a friend while the mouth is silent, so is it in the conversation of the spirit. A man may converse with the ego within him saying: "May I do this? Would it be advisable for me to do this work?" Such as this is conversation with the higher self.'

~~~ `Abdu'l-Bahá in Paris Talks, p. 179

Entering the Garden...

"Again, a man proclaims: 'There lies a garden in which there are trees with broken branches bearing no fruit, and the leaves thereof are faded and yellow! In that garden, also, there are flowering plants with no blooms, and rose bushes withered and dying -- go not into that garden!'

A just man, hearing this account of the garden, would not be content without seeing for himself whether it be true or not.

He, therefore, enters the garden, and behold, he finds it well tilled; the branches of the trees are sturdy and strong, being also loaded with the sweetest of ripe fruits amongst the luxuriance of beautiful green leaves. The flowering plants are bright with many-hued blossoms; the rose bushes are covered with fragrant and lovely roses and all is verdant and well tended.

When the glory of the garden is spread out before the eyes of the just man, he praises God that, through unworthy calumny, he has been led into a place of such wondrous beauty!"

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 103

O God! Refresh and gladden my spirit.

Purify my heart. Illumine my powers. I lay all my affairs in Thy hand. Thou art my Guide and my Refuge. I will no longer be sorrowful and grieved; I will be a happy and joyful being. O God! I will no longer be full of anxiety, nor will I let trouble harass me. I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life.

O God! Thou art more friend to me than I am to myself. I dedicate myself to Thee, O Lord.

—‘Abdu’l-Bahá

A Message to the London Baha'is in 1911...

November 26th, 1911.

Message to the London Bahá'ís for the
Day of 'Abdu'l-Bahá.

GOOD NEWS! GOOD NEWS!
The doors of the Kingdom of God are open!

GOOD NEWS! GOOD NEWS! Armies of Angels are descending from Heaven!

GOOD NEWS! GOOD NEWS! The Sun of Truth is rising!

GOOD NEWS! GOOD NEWS! Heavenly food is being sent from above!

GOOD NEWS! GOOD NEWS! The Trumpet is sounding!

GOOD NEWS! GOOD NEWS! The Banner of the Great Peace is floating far and wide!

GOOD NEWS! GOOD NEWS! The Light of the Lamp of the Oneness of Humanity is shining bright!

GOOD NEWS! GOOD NEWS! The fire of the Love of God is blazing!

GOOD NEWS! GOOD NEWS! The Holy Spirit is being outpoured!

GOOD NEWS! GOOD NEWS! For Everlasting Life is here!

O Ye that sleep, Awake!
O ye heedless ones, Learn wisdom!
O Blind, receive your sight!
O Deaf, Hear!
O Dumb, Speak!
O Dead, Arise!

Be Happy!
Be Happy!
Be full of Joy!

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 125

God the True One testifieth...

GOD, the True One, testifieth and the Revealers of His names and attributes bear witness that Our sole purpose in raising the Call and in proclaiming His sublime Word is that the ear of the entire creation may, through the living waters of divine utterance, be purged from lying tales and become attuned to the holy, the glorious and exalted Word which hath issued forth from the repository of the knowledge of the Maker of the Heavens and the Creator of Names. Happy are they that judge with fairness.

~ Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 21

Enkindling the lamp of search...

When the lamp of search, effort, longing, fervor, love, rapture, attraction and devotion is enkindled in the heart, and the breeze of love blows forth from the direction of unity, the darkness of error, doubt and uncertainty will be dispelled and the lights of knowledge and assurance will encompass all the pillars of existence.

Then the ideal Herald will dawn as the true morn from the Divine City, with spiritual glad tidings, and awaken the heart, soul and spirit from the sleep of negligence with the trumpet of knowledge.

Then the favors and confirmations of the eternal Holy Spirit will impart such a new life that one will find himself the possessor of a new eye, a new ear, a new heart, and a new mind, and will direct his attention to the clear, universal signs and to the hidden individual secrets.

With the new eye of God he will see a door open in every atom for attainment to the stations of positive knowledge, certain truth and evident light, and will perceive in all things the mysteries of the splendor of Oneness and the traces of the Manifestation of Eternity.

(Compilations, Baha'i Scriptures, p. 50)

A Divine Alchemist...

"Beneath the shadow of Mount Carmel, a Divine Alchemist has been revealing to an astonished world miracles of transmutation!

Taking the sand and clay of the most diverse personalities, He has been transforming them into bright and shining mirrors, reflecting in their infinite variety the radiant attributes of Reality.

Through this heavenly crucible have passed representatives of every nation, and of every religion on earth: Persian and American, English and Indian, Jew and Gentile, Armenian, and his bitter enemy, the Turk; the followers of Islam and the adherents of Christianity; the worshipers at ancestral shrines, and the devotees of the Lord Buddha.

And from their spiritual baptism they have emerged, with dark minds illumined, sundered hearts unified ..."

From "Star of the West", Vol. 19, p. 136

O God, Who art the Author of all Manifestations..

O God, Who art the Author of all Manifestations, the Source of all Sources, the Fountain-Head of all Revelations, and the Well-Spring of all Lights! I testify that by Thy Name the heaven of understanding hath been adorned, and the ocean of utterance hath surged, and the dispensations of Thy providence have been promulgated unto the followers of all religions.

I beseech Thee so to enrich me as to dispense with all save Thee, and be made independent of any one except Thyself. Rain down, then, upon me out of the clouds of Thy bounty that which shall profit me in every world of Thy worlds. Assist me, then, through Thy strengthening grace, so to serve Thy Cause amidst Thy servants that I may show forth what will cause me to be remembered as long as Thine own kingdom endureth and Thy dominion will last.

This is Thy servant, O my Lord, who with his whole being hath turned unto the horizon of Thy bounty, and the ocean of Thy grace, and the heaven of Thy gifts. Do with me then as becometh Thy majesty, and Thy glory, and Thy bounteousness, and Thy grace.

Thou, in truth, art the God of strength and power, Who art meet to answer them that pray Thee. There is no God save Thee, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.

~ Baha'u'llah, Prayers and Meditations by Baha'u'llah, p. 59

Back