Quotes from Baha'i sources:

sources

Dear Arthra,
I notice you mix authentic and unauthenticatable sources here. Abdu'l-Baha in London is a particularly easy case, because the whole book is pilgrims' notes, unauthenticated and impossible to authenticate because there are no Persian notes from these talks. Other sources such as Divine Philosophy and Bahai World Faith are more difficult to work with, because they are mixtures of authentic and unauthenticated materials. But with Abdu'l-Baha in London it's easy - it is all unauthenticatable. Do you have a rationale for your choice of quotes and sources?
~~ Sen McGlinn

Re: sources

Dear Arthra,
I notice you mix authentic and unauthenticatable sources here. Abdu'l-Baha in London is a particularly easy case, because the whole book is pilgrims' notes, unauthenticated and impossible to authenticate because there are no Persian notes from these talks. Other sources such as Divine Philosophy and Bahai World Faith are more difficult to work with, because they are mixtures of authentic and unauthenticated materials. But with Abdu'l-Baha in London it's easy - it is all unauthenticatable. Do you have a rationale for your choice of quotes and sources?
~~ Sen McGlinn

Welcome to the Forum Sen!

You can call me "Art"!

You'll note that the quotes are from Baha'i sources..

I don't have a any brief or agenda here..so if you have a favorite quote from somewhere I am sure we'd all love to see it!

- Art :)

The physical picture of Abdul-Baha..

Deliver my praise to the maid-servant of God, . . . . . and say unto her:

"Verily, thou hast seen the physical picture of Abdul-Baha printed by the rays of the phenomenal sun (i. e., his photograph) and thine eyes became overflowing with tears.

Beg thou of God that He may show unto thee his (Abdul-Baha's) spiritual picture printed by the ray shining forth from the Merciful Kingdom. Then the attractions of God shall overtake thee and make thee as a spark of fire aflame with the heat of the love of God."

~~~ Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v3, p. 714

Were unnumbered mirrors to be placed before the sun

HE -- glorified be His mention -- resembleth the sun. Were unnumbered mirrors to be placed before it, each would, according to its capacity, reflect the splendour of that sun, and were none to be placed before it, it would still continue to rise and set, and the mirrors alone would be veiled from its light. I, verily, have not fallen short of My duty to admonish that people, and to devise means whereby they may turn towards God, their Lord, and believe in God, their Creator.

If, on the day of His Revelation, all that are on earth bear Him allegiance, Mine inmost being will rejoice, inasmuch as all will have attained the summit of their existence, and will have been brought face to face with their Beloved, and will have recognized, to the fullest extent attainable in the world of being, the splendour of Him Who is the Desire of their hearts. If not, My soul will indeed be saddened. I truly have nurtured all things for this purpose. How, then, can anyone be veiled from Him?

For this have I called upon God, and will continue to call upon Him. He, verily, is nigh, ready to answer.

~~ The Bab, Selections from the Writings of the Bab, p. 156

May they hoist the sail of detachment upon the Ark...

May they hoist the sail of detachment upon the Ark of Salvation, and move over the seas of Thy knowledge; may they spread wide the pinions of unity and by their aid soar upward to the Kingdom of Thy singleness to become servants whom the Supreme Concourse will applaud, whose praises the dwellers in Thine all-glorious realm will utter; may they hear the heralds of the invisible world as they raise their cry of the Most Great Glad-Tidings; may they, in their longing to meet Thee, invoke and pray unto Thee, intoning wondrous orisons at the dawn of light -- O my Lord Who disposest all things -- shedding their tears at morningtide and even, yearning to pass into the shadow of Thy mercy that endeth never.

~~~ Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha, p. 6

Four kinds of love...

Love is only of the four kinds that I have explained.

(a) The love of God towards the identity of God. Christ has said God is Love.

(b) The love of God for His children -- for His servants.

(c) The love of man for God and

(d) the love of man for man.

These four kinds of love originate from God. These are rays from the Sun of Reality; these are the Breathings of the Holy Spirit; these are the Signs of the Reality.

~~~ Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 181-182

The morn of Truth has dawned.....

O ye lovers of Truth and servants of the world of humanity!
Since a sweet scent is wafted towards me from the rose garden of your thoughts and aspirations, my heartfelt wish compels me to write you this letter.

You will see how the world is upset with internal conflict, and many lands are dyed in human blood, - nay the earth is kneaded with gore. The flame of war is so ablaze that such terrible struggle finds no parallel in the war records of any of the middle or recent ages. Heads have become like grains and the war like mill stones, - nay even worse.

Flourishing lands are ruined, cities completely wrecked and thriving towns annihilated. Fathers have lost their sons, sons are made fatherless, and mothers have shed tears of blood over the death of their youthful sons. Children are made orphan, women are helpless, and the world of humanity is forced backward in all respects. The wailing cry of fatherless children is raised abroad, and mothers' pathetic lamentation reaches the high heaven.

The source of all these catastrophes is racial fanaticism, patriotic fanaticism, religious fanaticism and political fanaticism. The source of these fanaticisms is ancient imitations, religious imitations, racial imitations, patriotic imitations, and political imitations. As long as following such imitations persists, the very foundation of humanity is wrecked and the world of man is in great jeopardy.

Now, in such a shining age when the realities have become manifest and the mysteries of the universe are disclosed, the morn of Truth has dawned and the world is illuminated - is it allowable that such dreadful war should occur to throw the world of humanity into manifest loss? No, by God!

~~~ Abdu'l-Baha, Letter to Martha Root

O kind Lord! O Comforter of anguished hearts!

O kind Lord! O Comforter of anguished hearts!

Send down Thy mercy upon us, and Thy grace, bestow upon us patience, give us the strength to endure. With Thy generous hand, lay Thou a balm upon our sores, grant us a medicine for this never-healing woe. Console Thou Thy loved ones, comfort Thy friends and handmaids, heal Thou our wounded breasts, and with Thy bounty's remedy, restore our festering hearts.

With the gentle breeze of Thy compassion, make fresh and green again these boughs, withered by autumn blasts; restore Thou to flourishing life these flowers, shrivelled by the blight of bereavement.
With tidings of the Abha Paradise, wed Thou our souls to joy, and rejoice Thou our spirits with heartening voices from the dwellers in the realm of glory.

Thou art the Bounteous, Thou art the Clement; Thou art the Bestower, the Loving.

~~ Bahiyyih Khanum

(Compilations, Bahiyyih Khanum, p. 150)

Essence of Divinity, the Sun of Truth shines upon all...

But the Essence of Divinity, the Sun of Truth, shines forth upon all horizons and is spreading its rays upon all things. Each creature is the recipient of some portion of that power, and man, who contains the perfection of the mineral, the vegetable and animal, as well as his own distinctive qualities, has become the noblest of created beings. It stands written that he is made in the Image of God. Mysteries that were hidden he discovers; and secrets that were concealed he brings into the light. By Science and by Art he brings hidden powers into the region of the visible world. Man perceives the hidden law in created things and co-operates with it.

~~~ Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 23

Baha'i marriage:

Marriage, among the mass of the people, is a physical bond, and this union can only be temporary, since it is foredoomed to a physical separation at the close.

Among the people of Baha, however, marriage must be a union of the body and of the spirit as well, for here both husband and wife are aglow with the same wine, both are enamoured of the same matchless Face, both live and move through the same spirit, both are illumined by the same glory. This connection between them is a spiritual one, hence it is a bond that will abide forever. Likewise do they enjoy strong and lasting ties in the physical world as well, for if the marriage is based both on the spirit and the body, that union is a true one, hence it will endure. If, however, the bond is physical and nothing more, it is sure to be only temporary, and must inexorably end in separation.

When, therefore, the people of Baha undertake to marry, the union must be a true relationship, a spiritual coming together as well as a physical one, so that throughout every phase of life, and in all the worlds of God, their union will endure; for this real oneness is a gleaming out of the love of God.

~~~ The Baha'i Writings

(Compilations, The Compilation of Compilations vol II, p. 441)

It is a pageant of beauty...

Bahá'u'lláh had been sent to the prison of 'Akká because
it was believed by the religious leaders of Persia and Turkey that
He would die there and be forgotten. The atmosphere was so foul
that proverb said of the spot: "If a bird flies over 'Akká, it
dies!" His enemies did not realize that by driving Him there in
exile, they were fulfilling the prophecies of sacred Scripture.
Soon the followers of Bahá'u'lláh came to this arid, desert land
from far off places. They brought with them roses of every hue,
flowers, plants, and fruit trees. It became a garden as the years
passed, filled with colorful blossoms, the fragrance of orange and
lemon trees, with the brilliance of the flaming pomegranate. even
as Isaiah had visualized:

"It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice even with joy and singing: the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon, they shall see the glory of the Lord, and the excellency of our God."

Thousands of visitors from all over the world now visit the magnificent Bahá'í gardens on the side of Mount Carmel and on the plain of 'Akká.
Wherever the feet of Bahá'u'lláh walked, there are now lovely
gardens and paths. Roses of every hue and description can be seen.
White and red stone paths wind through beds of many-colored flowers
of all shapes and shades.

The rocky desolate side of Mount Carmel and the desert sand of 'Akká have been transformed into green lanes shaded by dark cedars of Lebanon, fir trees, pine trees, box trees, towering mulberry trees, and fruit trees of all varieties; it is a pageant of beauty.

The words of Isaiah echo like a chorus through the mountainside:

1. "The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them;
and the desert shall blossom as the rose."

2. "The glory of Lebanon shall come unto thee, the fir tree, the pine tree, and the box together to beautify the place of my sanctuary; and I will make the place of my feet glorious."

These beautiful gardens and holy places which were raised up by the pen of Bahá'u'lláh lie on the north side of Mount Carmel, looking across the Bay of Haifa toward the white sands of 'Akká. Here on the north side of the
mountain is being built all the future institutions of the Bahá'í
Faith at its world center.

This is the day and the place which David promised in his Psalms when he spoke of the mountain of God:

"... on the sides of the north, the city of the great King."

Ezekiel echoes the same promise given by Isaiah, Hosea, Micah,
Daniel, Jeremiah, Zephaniah, Zechariah, and Malachi:

"And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like the noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory. ... And the glory of the Lord came unto the house
by way of the gate whose prospect is toward the east."

Bahá'u'lláh, Whose names means the Glory of the Lord, or the Glory
of God, came to Israel from His homeland, Persia, which lies
directly east of the Holy Land. His Herald, the Báb, foretold His
coming and prepared the way for Him. Báb is a word which means the
Gate. When Ezekiel had this vision of the last days, he said:

"I saw it were the appearance of fire. ... This was the appearance of
the likeness of the glory of the Lord. And when I saw it, I fell
upon my face. ..."

~~~ William Sears, Release the Sun, p. 226

Quaff then, O My brother from the living waters...

Quaff then, O My brother, from the living waters that We have caused to flow in the oceans of these words. Methinks the seas of grandeur are surging within them, and the gems of divine virtue are shining within and upon them. Divest then thyself of that which debarreth thee from this fathomless crimson sea, and to the cry of "In the name of God and by His grace!" immerse thyself therein. Let the fear of no one dismay thee. Trust in the Lord, thy God, for He is sufficient unto whosoever trusteth in Him. He, verily, shall protect thee, and in Him shalt thou abide in safety.

~ Baha'u'llah, Gems of Divine Mysteries, p. 60

Oh, friends of God!

Oh, friends of God! If ye will trust in the Word of God and be strong; if ye will follow the precepts of Bahá'u'lláh to tend the sick, raise the fallen, care for the poor and needy, give shelter to the destitute, protect the oppressed, comfort the sorrowful and love the world of humanity with all your hearts, then I say unto you that ere long this meeting-place will see a wonderful harvest. Day by day each member will advance and become more and more spiritual. But ye must have a firm foundation and your aims and ambitions must be clearly understood by each member. They shall be as follows:

1. To show compassion and goodwill to all mankind.

2. To render service to humanity.

3. To endeavour to guide and enlighten those in darkness.

4. To be kind to everyone, and show forth affection to every living soul.

5. To be humble in your attitude towards God, to be constant in prayer to Him, so as to grow daily nearer to God.

6. To be so faithful and sincere in all your actions that every member may be known as embodying the qualities of honesty, love, faith, kindness, generosity, and courage.

To be detached from all that is not God, attracted by the Heavenly Breath -- a divine soul; so that the world may know that a Bahá'í is a perfect being.

Strive to attain this at these meetings. Then, indeed and in truth will ye, the friends of God, come together with great joy! Render help one to the other, become as one man, having reached perfect unity.

I pray to God that daily ye may advance in spirituality, that God's love may be more and more manifested in you, that the thoughts of your hearts may be purified, and that your faces may be ever turned towards Him. May you one and all approach to the threshold of unity, and enter into the Kingdom. May each of you be like unto a flaming torch, lighted and burning bright with the fire of the Love of God.

~~~~ Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, pp. 73-75

The call of the Kingdom has been sounded...

The call of the Kingdom has been sounded, and the annunciation of the world's need for Universal Peace has enlightened the world's conscience.
My hope is that through the zeal and ardour of the pure of heart, the darkness of hatred and difference will be entirely abolished, and the light of love and unity shall shine; this world shall become a new world; things material shall become the mirror of the divine; human hearts shall meet and embrace each other; the whole world become as a man's native country and the different races be counted as one race.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 37

On prayer...

You have asked concerning approval of Christian Science treatment and healing. Spirit has influence; prayer has spiritual effect. Therefore, we pray, "O God! Heal this sick one!" Perchance God will answer. Does it matter who prays? God will answer the prayer of every servant if that prayer is urgent. His mercy is vast, illimitable. He answers the prayers of all His servants. He answers the prayer of this plant. The plant prays potentially, "O God! Send me rain!" God answers the prayer, and the plant grows. God will answer anyone.

He answers prayers potentially. Before we were born into this world did we not pray, "O God! Give me a mother; give me two fountains of bright milk; purify the air for my breathing; grant me rest and comfort; prepare food for my sustenance and living"? Did we not pray potentially for these needed blessings before we were created? When we came into this world, did we not find our prayers answered? Did we not find mother, father, food, light, home and every other necessity and blessing, although we did not actually ask for them? Therefore, it is natural that God will give to us when we ask Him. His mercy is all-encircling.

But we ask for things which the divine wisdom does not desire for us, and there is no answer to our prayer. His wisdom does not sanction what we wish. We pray, "O God! Make me wealthy!" If this prayer were universally answered, human affairs would be at a standstill. There would be none left to work in the streets, none to till the soil, none to build, none to run the trains. Therefore, it is evident that it would not be well for us if all prayers were answered. The affairs of the world would be interfered with, energies crippled and progress hindered. But whatever we ask for which is in accord with divine wisdom, God will answer. Assuredly!

For instance, a very feeble patient may ask the doctor to give him food which would be positively dangerous to his life and condition. He may beg for roast meat. The doctor is kind and wise. He knows it would be dangerous to his patient so he refuses to allow it. The doctor is merciful; the patient, ignorant. Through the doctor's kindness the patient recovers; his life is saved. Yet the patient may cry out that the doctor is unkind, not good, because he refuses to answer his pleading.

God is merciful. In His mercy He answers the prayers of all His servants when according to His supreme wisdom it is necessary.

~~ Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 247

More on prayer...

O handmaid of God! Prayers are granted through the universal Manifestations of God. Nevertheless, where the wish is to obtain material things, even where the heedless are concerned, if they supplicate, humbly imploring God's help- even their prayer hath an effect.

O handmaid of God! The prayers which were revealed to ask for healing apply both to physical and spiritual healing. Recite them, then, to heal both the soul and the body. If healing is right for the patient, it will certainly be granted; but for some ailing persons, healing would only be the cause of other ills, and therefore wisdom doth not permit an affirmative answer to the prayer.

O handmaid of God! The power of the Holy Spirit healeth both physical and spiritual ailments.

~~~ "Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Bahá", sec. 139, pp. 161-162

I beg of Him to bestow His confirmations upon those loved ones, dwellers in that pure and holy land, and to grant them successful outcomes in all things: that in their character, their behaviour, their words, their way of life, in all they are and do, He will make them to achieve distinction among men; that He will gather them into the world community, their hearts filled with ecstasy and fervour and yearning love, with knowledge and certitude, with steadfastness and unity, their faces beauteous and bright.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha, p. 259

Finding there way back to the circumambient sea..

Praise thou God that at last, through the divine teachings, thou hast obtained both sight and insight to the highest degree, and hast become firmly rooted in certitude and faith.

It is my hope that others as well will achieve illumined eyes and hearing ears, and attain to everlasting life:

that these many rivers, each flowing along in diverse and separated beds, will find their way back to the circumambient sea, and merge together and rise up in a single wave of surging oneness; that the unity of truth, through the power of God, will make these illusory differences to vanish away.

This is the one essential: for if unity be gained, all other problems will disappear of themselves.

~~~ Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha, p. 30

The effects of simple obedience...

Were the commands of the Prophets concerning justice, mutual
aid, loving one's neighbor as oneself, carried out, how
could overcrowding, sweated labor and sordid poverty on the
one hand, together with self-indulgence, idleness and sordid
luxury on the other, continue to work mental, moral and
physical ruin?

Simple obedience to the hygienic and moral commands of
Moses, Buddha, Christ, Muhammad or Bahá'u'lláh would do
more in the way of preventing disease than all the doctors and
all the public health regulations in the world have been able to
accomplish.

In fact, it seems certain that were such obedience
general, good health would also become general. Instead of
lives being blighted by disease of cut off in infancy, youth or
prime, as so frequently happens now, men would live to a ripe
old age, like sound fruits that mature and mellow ere they drop
from the bough.

~~~ Dr. J.E. Esslemont, Baha'u'llah and the New Era, p. 104

We must reflect a little...

We must reflect a little: if the literal meaning of this story were attributed to a wise man, certainly all would logically deny that this arrangement, this invention, could have emanated from an intelligent being. Therefore, this story of Adam and Eve who ate from the tree, and their expulsion from Paradise, must be thought of simply as a symbol. It contains divine mysteries and universal meanings, and it is capable of marvelous explanations. Only those who are initiated into mysteries, and those who are near the Court of the All-Powerful, are aware of these secrets. Hence these verses of the Bible have numerous meanings.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 123

Back