truthfulness

And fear.
some are Godfearing some are not .
"If only they would develop this heart of theirs to fear me and to keep all my commandments always."—DEUTERONOMY 5:29.

In the Scriptures, God’s servants are repeatedly urged to fear Jehovah.

Moses told the Israelites: "Jehovah your God you should fear, and him you should serve." (Deuteronomy 6:13)

Centuries later Solomon wrote: "Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation of man." (Ecclesiastes 12:13)

Wholesome fear of God not only fosters trust and confidence in him but also motivates us to walk in his ways. :)

that is truthful indeed :)

There are as many flavours of pride as their are truth. Infallibility is certainly one of them. But lets stick to truth.

Lets, for example say that you love nuts. But I have a severe reaction to them. Then the truth for you is that nuts are good but for me the truth is nuts are bad. Who is right? Who is telling the truth? To you nuts is wholesome, healthy fare. To me its a toxic death sentence.

So truth is not always the same thing for everybody. And the truth is defined by the questions you ask to find the truth. You are what you eat, so to speak.

Tao

There are as many flavours of pride as their are truth. Infallibility is certainly one of them. But lets stick to truth.

Lets, for example say that you love nuts. But I have a severe reaction to them. Then the truth for you is that nuts are good but for me the truth is nuts are bad. Who is right? Who is telling the truth? To you nuts is wholesome, healthy fare. To me its a toxic death sentence.

So truth is not always the same thing for everybody. And the truth is defined by the questions you ask to find the truth. You are what you eat, so to speak.

Tao

Pride Destroys, ....... Meekness Saves

PRIDE

Inordinate self-esteem; an unreasonable feeling of superiority as to one’s talents, beauty, wealth, rank, and so forth; disdainful behavior or treatment; insolence or arrogance of demeanor; haughty bearing. Pride can, more rarely, have the good connotation of a sense of delight or elation arising from some act or possession. Some synonyms of pride are egotism, arrogance, haughtiness.

Pride Is Deceptive and Destructive

The fear of Jehovah means the hating of bad. Self-exaltation and pride and the bad way and the perverse mouth I have hated.”—Pr 8:13.

The proud person seems to be taking the way most beneficial or profitable for him, but he is leaving God out of account. (Compare Jer 49:16; Re 3:17.)

Personally I live a very truthful life (we dont refer to it religiously in this house, we call it stupidly paladin).
Its a very difficult way to live your life. Many things in day-to-day existence seems to expect and require being less than truthful. My wife and I have developed a system where Im often just expected to keep my mouth shut and allow her to say what needs to be said.

People think they are truthful. But they also think they are eating well, sleeping well, get along with everyone, and are above average drivers. Actually making an effort to track yourself thru the day would surprise most people more than they would want to be.

PRIDE

Inordinate self-esteem; an unreasonable feeling of superiority as to one’s talents, beauty, wealth, rank, belief and so forth; disdainful behavior or treatment; insolence or arrogance of demeanor; haughty bearing. Pride can, more rarely, have the good connotation of a sense of delight or elation arising from some act or possession. Some synonyms of pride are egotism, arrogance, haughtiness.

Then proselytising , which requires the highlighted and more, can be seen as an act of pride. I added belief because in this context it deserves to be there.

Then proselytising , which requires the highlighted and more, can be seen as an act of pride. I added belief because in this context it deserves to be there.
satan started off the pride thing , he thought he was better than God . not a good thing to do

People think they are truthful. But they also think they are eating well, sleeping well, get along with everyone, and are above average drivers. Actually making an effort to track yourself thru the day would surprise most people more than they would want to be.

I think most of us here are truthful in our lives as anybody. But lies are inevitable. Whether they be embellishments, distractions, peace keepers or outright fabrications we all make use of them at some point. They are an integral part of day to day social politics. But there are big lies. Fundamental ones. Ones that haunt the recesses of our conscience, forever fearful that they will be exposed and we will have to feel the shame and humiliation that would bring. Things like the intern at the staff Christmas party, or that money you were meant to be saving but had spent on online poker. These kind of lies lessen us. They take our self worth. They reduce our status amongst those that we most care about. But in my experience it is not always best to come clean. The intern has long gone, no one will ever find out. At last the cards came up and you have all that money back...and more!!. Well maybe not. But you are probably best living in hope of non-exposure than bringing about the certain results of confession. Its a tightrope. Of course best of all is never get to that situation in the first place.

Tao

satan started off the pride thing , he thought he was better than God . not a good thing to do

I think certain Satanist cults believe that God is the usurper and not the other way round. I am sure they are as certain of their belief as you are of yours.

Tao

Hi, mee,
Consider what is involved when we are called upon to decide whether to speak the truth or not.
The hypothesis that truth is somehow natural and that untruth is man's perversion of the natural, is based on what I think is a mistaken assumption that the function of language is accurate communication.

I think instead that Mr. Keaton (in Dead Poets Society) was closer to the truth when he said, "The purpose of language is to woo women!", though we might generalize this somewhat to "the purpose of language is to get others to do what we want".

This hypothesis not only explains humanity's penchant for untruth, it also explains our desire for truth, since when we act on faulty descriptions of the world, the results are rarely satisfactory.

The ethical question we should ask then is not "Why be truthful?" but "Why not be untruthful?" One approach to an answer is that untruthfulness breaks down the bonds of community. (Oddly, the opposite hypothesis, that truthfulness builds the bonds of community, seems much more difficult to establish.)

This is a corollary of the more general claim that immoral behavior harms community. There is even some evidence, in the form of computer simulations, that abstract communities gradually reject and eliminate such behavior in the course of community evolution.

Of course there is the ultimate ethical question: why should I choose a stronger community when it conflicts from my personal interests? The idealist's answer is that such a community is better to live in. The pragmatist's answer is "what goes around comes around".

Namiste

We live in an era in which religious untruth abounds.

many people in these "last days" have a form of godly devotion but prove false to its power. 2 timothy 3;

We live in an era in which religious untruth abounds.

many people in these "last days" have a form of godly devotion but prove false to its power. 2 timothy 3;

I'll give you a truth.....for free too!!

You quote Timothy 3 as tho it were an authentic and genuine source yet it is not. Scholarly analysis of the text of it clearly demonstrate 2/3rds it to be of a writing style not contemporaneous with Paul but absolutely typical of the style used 2 centuries later. So it would be entirely fair to consider it a political insertion of the establishment of the time. Have you considered that? Maybe not but let me guess what you will say... erm....how about.."We live in an era in which religious untruth abounds." We do indeed... and none more so than from the JW cult!!

Tao

You quote Timothy 3 as tho it were an authentic and genuine source yet it is not.

Tao
many reject the word of God as you mentioned, but many do not :)

It was recognized and used by early writers and commentators, including Polycarp in the second century C.E.

The two letters to Timothy have been accepted from the earliest times as written by Paul and as being part of the inspired Scriptures.

The early Christian writers, including Polycarp, Ignatius, and Clement of Rome, all agree on this, and the letters are included in the catalogs of the first few centuries as Paul’s writings.

One authority writes: "There are few N[ew] T[estament] writings which have stronger attestation . . . Objections to authenticity must therefore be regarded as modern innovations contrary to the strong evidence from the early church."

New Bible Dictionary, second edition, 1986, edited by J. D. Douglas, page 1203.

You quote Timothy 3 as tho it were an authentic and genuine source yet it is not.

Tao
This is just as the Bible foretold. It says: "In the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, . . . lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power." (2 Timothy 3:1-5) Living among such people day in and day out, true Christians are under constant pressure to conform to this kind of mentality and lifestyle.

yes its all happening just as the inspired book of timothy tells us.

That is where diary or blog or something comes in great! lol.

New Bible Dictionary

New!! That just means re-hashed to include a few more ways of it "being in the good book".

Timothy 3 includes the following :

1. Instructions on Public Worship (2:1-15) a. Concerning Prayer (2:1-7) b. Concerning the Role of Men and Women (2:8-15) 1) Men: Pray in a Holy Manner (2:8) 2) Women: Quiet Conduct (2:9-15) 2. Instructions on Church Leadership (3:1-13) a. Qualifications of Overseers (3:1-7) b. Qualifications of Deacons (3:8-13) 3. Summary (3:14-16) a. Conduct of the Church (3:14-15) b. Hymn to Christ (3:16) B. Guarding the Truth in the Church (4:1-16) 1. In the Face of Apostasy (4:1-5) 2. Timothy’s Personal Responsibilities (4:6-16) 3. Spiritual Exercises (4:7-9) C. Dealing with Groups in the Church (5:1–6:10) 1. Men and Women, Young and Old (5:1-2) 2. Widows (5:3-16) a. Older Widows (5:3-10) b. Younger Widows (5:11-16) 3. Elders (5:17-25) a. The Reward of Elders (5:17-18) b. The Reputation of Elders (5:19-20) 1) The Reputation of Elders Protected (5:19) 2) The Sins of Elders Publicly Rebuked (5:20) c. The Recognition of Prospective Elders (5:21-25) 4. Slaves (6:1-2) 5. False Teachers (6:3-10)
If you just read through the "agenda" and ask yourself is this the words of Jesus or is it the work of some control freak churchmen/politicians, (the two were indistinguishable back then), then its plain and simple. But Mee, oh Mee, OH Mee!! As long as the watchtower says its good, you aint about to see.

Tao

New!! That just means re-hashed to include a few more ways of it "being in the good book".

Timothy 3 includes the following :

1. Instructions on Public Worship (2:1-15) a. Concerning Prayer (2:1-7) b. Concerning the Role of Men and Women (2:8-15) 1) Men: Pray in a Holy Manner (2:8) 2) Women: Quiet Conduct (2:9-15) 2. Instructions on Church Leadership (3:1-13) a. Qualifications of Overseers (3:1-7) b. Qualifications of Deacons (3:8-13) 3. Summary (3:14-16) a. Conduct of the Church (3:14-15) b. Hymn to Christ (3:16) B. Guarding the Truth in the Church (4:1-16) 1. In the Face of Apostasy (4:1-5) 2. Timothy’s Personal Responsibilities (4:6-16) 3. Spiritual Exercises (4:7-9) C. Dealing with Groups in the Church (5:1–6:10) 1. Men and Women, Young and Old (5:1-2) 2. Widows (5:3-16) a. Older Widows (5:3-10) b. Younger Widows (5:11-16) 3. Elders (5:17-25) a. The Reward of Elders (5:17-18) b. The Reputation of Elders (5:19-20) 1) The Reputation of Elders Protected (5:19) 2) The Sins of Elders Publicly Rebuked (5:20) c. The Recognition of Prospective Elders (5:21-25) 4. Slaves (6:1-2) 5. False Teachers (6:3-10)
If you just read through the "agenda" and ask yourself is this the words of Jesus or is it the work of some control freak churchmen/politicians, (the two were indistinguishable back then), then its plain and simple. But Mee, oh Mee, OH Mee!! As long as the watchtower says its good, you aint about to see.

Tao

Paul’s letter shows that Timothy himself was a fine example of what a young Christian should be.

Paul’s letter shows that Timothy himself was a fine example of what a young Christian should be.
How can it be Pauline when linguistic scholars have demonstrated that it was written in a gramatic style that did not arise for two centuries afterwards?

Authenticity.

The authenticity of First and Second Timothy is well established.

All outstanding ancient catalogs, starting with the Muratorian Fragment of the second century C.E., list both letters as canonical.

Most important, these letters are in complete agreement with the rest of the Scriptures and quote from them.

They contain quotations from or allusions to Numbers (16:5; 2Ti 2:19), Deuteronomy (19:15; 25:4; 1Ti 5:18, 19), Isaiah (26:13; 2Ti 2:19), and the words of Jesus Christ (Mt 10:10; Lu 10:7; 1Ti 5:18).

Noteworthy are the frequent references to faith (1Ti 1:2, 4, 5, 14, 19; 2:7, 15; 3:9, 13; 4:1, 6, 12; 5:8, 12; 6:10, 11, 12, 21; 2Ti 1:5, 13; 2:18, 22; 3:8, 10, 15; 4:7),

as well as the emphasis on right doctrine (1Ti 1:3, 4; 4:1-3, 6, 7; 6:3, 4, 20, 21; 2Ti 1:13; 3:14, 15; 4:3, 5),

conduct (1Ti 2:8-11, 15; 3:2-13; 4:12; 5:1-21; 6:1, 2, 11-14; 2Ti 2:22),
prayer (1Ti 2:1, 2, 8; 4:5; 5:5; 2Ti 1:3),
and faithful endurance through suffering (2Ti 1:8, 12; 2:3, 8-13).

Back