He is Risen!

Hey Greymare,

I was just looking through this thread, and I looked up those passages. Both Enoch and Elijah were unusual, because the Bible mentions that they were taken by God, instead of dying. Moses' death is very unusual, too.

Elijah
Elijah was a very famous and influential prophet who lived midway through the Kings period of Jewish history. His prayers were very powerful so he could make big miracles happen. Unfortunately, he became depressed because he wasn't well-liked. He wanted to die, but his duties weren't completed and so God told him to appoint a successor, Elisha. Their names are similar. Its a great story, and in 2 Kings 2:11, Elijah is taken directly into heaven without dying. We are told later, by the prophet Malachi, that Elijah is supposed to return someday. This can be taken 2 different ways, because 2 Kings 2:15 introduces the possibility of another person bearing Elijah's spirit. Its becomes a very important factoid to know when you read about Jesus and John the Baptist in the gospels. John is a type of Elijah.
2 Kings 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

2 Kings 2:12-15 And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces. He took up also the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and went back, and stood by the bank of Jordan; And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said, Where is the LORD God of Elijah? and when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither: and Elisha went over. And when the sons of the prophets which were to view at Jericho saw him, they said, The spirit of Elijah doth rest on Elisha. And they came to meet him, and bowed themselves to the ground before him.
Enoch
There's a short, mysterious snippet about someone named 'Enoch' in Genesis. It appears in the list of ancestors of Noah. Then, there is a little bit more information we get much later from the writer of Hebrews, which is a Christian work. The thing about it is that there are traditional stories about Enoch and also other information about Enoch that we don't have. He was someone that Jewish people knew about. Some poorly preserved and altered copies of a book called Enoch have been found, but that's beyond the purpose of the thread and I don't know much about it.
Genesis 5:23-24 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took
him.
Hebrews 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

Hi Patti!

I'm referring to those humans that never physically died. What of them?

And I think the adore part might be the second one as in adores his wife, though personally I have a hard time with that one. I can't see myself in a white gown before Jesus...so it has to be metaphorical, or else once in heaven there is no gender. Christ is easy for women, not so much for men...

I think I know why... because the feeling of adoration is so similar to the feeling of being "in love" and Jesus being a male... it would be harder for a male to be ok with it.. and just go with it.. you know? Am I right Q?

I think I know why... because the feeling of adoration is so similar to the feeling of being "in love" and Jesus being a male... it would be harder for a male to be ok with it.. and just go with it.. you know? Am I right Q?

You think it's a male/female thing? I think it's what you are surrounded with. "Just going with it" when your peers aren't makes it very difficult.

Men don't have a problem loving their father. (btw: It's nice to see you.)

i tried real hard to follow these posts and i have read and reread them over and over. and i still cannot for the life of me, work out what you two were arguing over??? btw.......... how did enoch adnd elijah die but not physically die??? where do i find these stories and where do i find an explanation??
Deuterotomy and the like. Enoch walked with God for 300 of his 342? years and was taken away. In fact, Enoch lived only 1/3rd of the life span of a man at the time. He was very young.

Elijah (the prophet) was taken and witnessed by Elisha, his "protigee". Neither physically died, but were instead taken whole into heaven...why? I don't know.

Sitting at a seder seeing the place setting and the empty chair for Elijah. At the prescribed time in the ceremony the kids get up and open the door to let him in. It is quite nice.

You think it's a male/female thing? I think it's what you are surrounded with. "Just going with it" when your peers aren't makes it very difficult.

Men don't have a problem loving their father. (btw: It's nice to see you.)

It probably does have something to do with what you're surrounded with. But I can understand the difficulty. Most men I know don't have a problem relating to the Father God. They love their own father, as you say, so they understand loving the Father as well.

Jesus isn't the Father though. And He's like our brother, but in mainstream doctrine, not just a brother either. He's more than a brother.

The Bible has imagery of the church as His Bride. This is pretty easy for most women, given their social conditioning, to embrace. The traditional way of thinking of the husband as the protector and leader of the wife makes it relatively easy for a woman to replace a physical husband with Christ. Men aren't conditioned to think of others as being in that role; they are conditioned to think of themselves as being the protector and leader. So the whole imagery of men being the Bride of Christ is a understandably kind of hard to get one's head around.

Maybe it'd be easier for men to focus on imagery of Christ as King? With one relating in a way that one loves a good leader (loyalty, duty, honor, etc.)? Just a guess...

The Bible has imagery of the church as His Bride. This is pretty easy for most women, given their social conditioning, to embrace. The traditional way of thinking of the husband as the protector and leader of the wife makes it relatively easy for a woman to replace a physical husband with Christ. Men aren't conditioned to think of others as being in that role; they are conditioned to think of themselves as being the protector and leader. So the whole imagery of men being the Bride of Christ is a understandably kind of hard to get one's head around.

Maybe it'd be easier for men to focus on imagery of Christ as King? With one relating in a way that one loves a good leader (loyalty, duty, honor, etc.)? Just a guess...

Good point. Men are conditioned differently. Knowing and loving Christ is following, and thinking of yourself as the bride of Christ is not second nature to a man.

My thinking was it is more difficult to stay focused on the truth when you are surrounded with other information.

It probably does have something to do with what you're surrounded with. But I can understand the difficulty. Most men I know don't have a problem relating to the Father God. They love their own father, as you say, so they understand loving the Father as well.

Jesus isn't the Father though. And He's like our brother, but in mainstream doctrine, not just a brother either. He's more than a brother.

lol thanks Path thats what I was trying to say but didnt know how to get the point across without sounding sexist? lol the feeling I feel when Im worshipping Jesus is so close to the being in love feeling... but more...

the anticipation for His return is like waiting to see your love come home from work... but more...

It is totally like the Song of Solomon and how the Shulamite maid is towards her lover.

I just think a guy would have some issues drawing that close to Jesus if that was the feeling involved. The intimacy with another "Male" even though Jesus is more...

I like the King idea .. it brings to mind King Arthurs court.. the Knights of the Round Table were completely devoted.. that makes it easier for me to imagine someone manly like Q (just an example) relating to Jesus.

I picture myself more like Mary as opposed to Martha.. I would be at His feet enraptured in Him and His teaching unable to think on anything else or to do anything else.

I just think a guy would have some issues drawing that close to Jesus if that was the feeling involved. The intimacy with another "Male" even though Jesus is more...

I like the King idea .. it brings to mind King Arthurs court.. the Knights of the Round Table were completely devoted.. that makes it easier for me to imagine someone manly like Q (just an example) relating to Jesus.
hehe hmmmm....I got no issues. Would I give my elder brother and wayshower a great big hug? You betcha. Can I lean on his shoulder and enjoy the comfort? Yup. Do I wait in anticipatiojn like a bride about to be married? uh huh. Have I sat in the lap of the father snugglin up to his bosum happy as clam? sure.

Back