where did all the water go?

Dream said:
Originally Posted by I Corinthians 13:8
Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
Very astute, Dream.

Greymare said:
ok ok, ask a stupid question...........
Thanks for the heads-up. I hope kf123 doesn't think I was smacking them. I'm just saying that scripture that is truly holy doesn't need propping up with excruciating Science proofs. All those do is get people upset, because the results are arbitrary or else "Self evident" when it comes to special knowledge.

to where?????? ok, the rain stopped, yes i understand that some of it would be soaked up, but it has to go somewhere???
It is believed by some that at one point in the earth's "recent" past, the atmosphere was thicker, and had a great deal of suspended water vapor. There is also an opinion that lands were much more level around the earth than they are now, and the oceans were half as deep. It is also known that around the world are great chasms of underground water reserves (The Great plains of the US sit on such a water shed, or Aquafier).

When the Rain came, it was a phenomenon unseen before. But we aren't told if there were earth quakes along with the rain. However, we have seen what a "small" tidal wave can to to the islands in the Indian Ocean, and how long the water remained "inland", and how many it killed (Christmas 2004). And unlike the Smokey mountains of the US (which are very old and worn down), the Rockies are considered very new (and still jagged peaks). That is because the tectonic plates that make the US shoved against eachother there, and formed the Rockies, and raised the overall level of the US over a mile higher than it used to be. Prior to that, the US used to have an inland sea covering most of it from Canada to Mexico, and Utah to Pennsylvania. That "sea" is now gone. And the Oceans dropped twice as deep as they were before.

We know that the continents can shift and lift without notice, as demonstrated a few years back, and the ocean floor only shifted three feet, yet 200,000.00 people died quickly after that.

As an engineer, I understand the properties of water in motion (other wise known as "free surface effect") as well as Newton's law of intertia, as it applies to water in motion.

Rain can't kill, but a raging torrent of water moving at merely several kilometers an hour, and being two to three meters deep, can kill quickly. Further more, water, does not immediately seek it's own level, until the inertial of the whole of the body of water is spent. Again that took days for that little island flood.

From personal perspective, the river I live on is small, about 50 meters across and three meters deep, with a current normally at two knots. One can wade across but it isn't like skipping through puddles. But when the rains hit Pennsylvania hard, the river becomes a torrent, moving at 20 knots and rising seven to 10 meters above flood stage, and expanding from 50 meters to 300 meters in width. Hell I've seen Oak trees, trucks and mobile homes floating with the current at 20 knots.

And it takes several days for that little river to begin to recede, but once it does begin, it recedes quickly (a day or two).

But you don't have to take my word for it. John D. Morris PH, D sums it up nicely:

"We now know, of course, that the earth has plenty of water to launch a global flood. It has been calculated that if the earth's surface were completely flat, with no high mountains and no deep ocean basins, that water would cover the earth to a depth of about 8,000 feet. But is there enough water to cover a 29,035 foot mountain?
The key is to remember that the Flood didn't have to cover the present Earth, but it did have to cover the pre-Flood Earth, and the Bible teaches that the Flood fully restructured the earth. "The world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished" (II Peter 3:6). It is gone forever. The earth of today was radically altered by that global event.
That Flood accomplished abundant geologic work. Eroding sediments here, redepositing them there, pushing up continents, elevating plateaus, denuding terrains, etc., so that the earth today is quite different from before. Today even mountain ranges rise high above the sea.
Mt. Everest and the Himalayan range, along with the Alps, the Rockies, the Appalachians, the Andes, and most of the world's other mountains are composed of ocean-bottom sediments, full of marine fossils laid down by the Flood. Mt. Everest itself has clam fossils at its summit. These rock layers cover an extensive area, including much of Asia. They give every indication of resulting from cataclysmic water processes. These are the kinds of deposits we would expect to result from the worldwide, world-destroying Flood of Noah's day.
At the end of the Flood, after thick sequences of sediments had accumulated, the Indian subcontinent evidently collided with Asia, crumpling the sediments into mountains. Today they stand as giants—folded and fractured layers of ocean-bottom sediments at high elevations. No, Noah's Flood didn't cover the Himalayas, it formed them!
Thus we find the Biblical account not only possible, but also supported by the evidence. A pre-Flood world with lessened topographic extremes could have been covered by the Great Flood. That Flood caused today's high mountains and deep oceans making such a flood impossible to repeat. This is just as God promised, back in Genesis."

Hope that helps.

v/r
Q

Rivers reversing? I haven't thought about that yet. Damn. That has frightening implications.

The more I think about climate change, the more intricate and prone to catastrophe it becomes. A small degree of change may seem inconsequential at face value, but once we start taking into account that changes create systems of feedback that lead to more change, we see how interconnected and balanced/dynamic climate is.

My fiance was at a conference yesterday where someone was speaking about climate change. This person said that global temperatures have risen .6 degrees (I'm not sure about what the time frame is on that rise). That might not seem like a whole lot, but when complemented by this other bit of information--if global temperature dropped 2 degrees celsius, the Earth would be in an ice age--it becomes quite a bit more significant.
I wouldn't be Path. Rivers reverse twice a day in Maine, and Alaska and in Seattle (think Dawamish). Maine and Alaska use it to make electricity coming and going...

edit, my bad...four times a day.

oh, wow guys, thanks for all your input again on this subject. Ok, i still struggle with the idea but how abut the logistics of it all. Lots of animals, (food, feaces, noise etc) couldnt have been a very liveable situation. (btw, im not trying to antagonise anyone, just thinking......)

Well, traditionally, the ark of Noah was built with three levels.

I have heard it said that the lowest level was the "poop" deck. The mid level for most of the animals, and the food on the upper deck. Of course, this same source (which I have long forgotten) suggested that the rocking of the boat likely induced a hibernation state, at least in those animals that hibernate. Those that don't were lulled by the motion into a sort of hypnotic stupor...meaning they didn't eat as much and weren't prone to aggression.

But there's not really much way of telling for sure.

Some say the ark is still on Ararat, in two pieces, frozen in a glacier. Lots of "scientific" denial...but everytime I try to use one of the computer space mapping services to look down into that area, it stops WAY high up and won't allow me to zoom in. Curious...when they can use the same system to read your license plate number while your car is parked.

If I were afloat on an ark for a very long time and had to wait a long time for the ground to harden, the first thing I would do is dismantle my boat to build with its fine timbers. I would have designed the boat with that very purpose in mind.

oh, wow guys, thanks for all your input again on this subject. Ok, i still struggle with the idea but how abut the logistics of it all. Lots of animals, (food, feaces, noise etc) couldnt have been a very liveable situation. (btw, im not trying to antagonise anyone, just thinking......)
Well, instead of look at it from today's perspective of "species" of animals, it may have been that the ark contained the "genus" of animals, or even the "family" of animals, capable of interbreeding the producing what we have today. For example, instead of horses, donkeys and zebras, "equinus" was brought aboard capable of breeding out into today's various horse like animals. Cattle breeds come from "Aurochs", so it is possible there were only 12 cattle like animals onboard. There is also the possiblity of the going into a state of pseudo hibernation caused by the constant rocking of the ark, which would required a very low consumption need for food.

To populate what we have today (more or less), the need to take on 8000 genera, the most logical choices would have been the infants/babies of the genera...

It would have been very doable if we can look at the basic building blocks to reseed the planet's nostril breathing creatures.

To populate what we have today (more or less), the need to take on 8000 genera, the most logical choices would have been the infants/babies of the genera...

It would have been very doable if we can look at the basic building blocks to reseed the planet's nostril breathing creatures.
I don't think there would have been a need to take fish or amphibians aboard. Bugs probably could have kept out of the way pretty much, even though there still would've been quite a few. Too bad Noah didn't swat those two darned mosquitoes though. Can just imagine the dung beetles having a ball on the bottom deck...

The birds and mammals are the more problematic, generally, considering the logistics. Caged birds of my acquaintance tend to be rather docile when covered.

I've also wondered in times past, particularly if the flood wasn't *allover,* that maybe some critters were spared by where they found themselves...like the curious animals limited to Australia and S. America. All of this of course is purely speculation on my part.

Back