why you think Muslims invite you to Islam?!

You have to ask to convert,...
I no longer think that converting is a good way to approach any religion. The purebloods always get all excited, throw wreaths about your neck, think they love you like family. This is not quite as bad as purposeful manipulation through love, but it still fogs up the whole process. You know good & well that family is family, and religion is not family; but original purebloods don't understand that. Having grown up in a religious community, they tend to think it is a family -- but its not. Anybody tells you otherwise is inexperienced or a manipulator. The thing to do is just become a part of the religion and convert yourself without asking. Never ask permission, because then the singers and dancers come and you get singled out for special treatment. You won't know where you stand with them for a good 4 or 5 years.

Dawud,

that is not always the case anymore and I'm not certain that was ever an entirely universal practice, though it used to be more prevalent.

-- Dauer

There are different kinds of Jews, so yeah, I guess it depends.

I no longer think that converting is a good way to approach any religion. The purebloods always get all excited, throw wreaths about your neck, think they love you like family. This is not quite as bad as purposeful manipulation through love, but it still fogs up the whole process. You know good & well that family is family, and religion is not family; but original purebloods don't understand that. Having grown up in a religious community, they tend to think it is a family -- but its not. Anybody tells you otherwise is inexperienced or a manipulator. The thing to do is just become a part of the religion and convert yourself without asking. Never ask permission, because then the singers and dancers come and you get singled out for special treatment. You won't know where you stand with them for a good 4 or 5 years.

Interesting. So just don't tell anyone you converted?

Dawud,

even disregarding denominational differences, that is not always the case. It is a custom that most likely began in response to the harsh penalties for non-Jews converting to Judaism. Before that time Judaism didn't openly proselytize but it was more open to people interested in conversion. At one time it became very widespread but now it is less common. There are still some rabbis who do it but it seems more prevalent that a rabbi will test an individual's sincerity through a direct conversation rather than an antiquated minhag.

-- Dauer

Dawud,

even disregarding denominational differences, that is not always the case. It is a custom that most likely began in response to the harsh penalties for non-Jews converting to Judaism. Before that time Judaism didn't openly proselytize but it was more open to people interested in conversion. At one time it became very widespread but now it is less common. There are still some rabbis who do it but it seems more prevalent that a rabbi will test an individual's sincerity through a direct conversation rather than an antiquated minhag.

-- Dauer

Makes sense. In some countries, or at least one that I can think of, Muslims aren't allowed to convert to anything, only non-Muslims are allowed to change religion. I found out when I was talking to someone who wanted to become a Baha'i. She found out in the process that she wasn't allowed to because Muslims weren't allowed to change religion in that country.

I'm not trying to start controversy, just sharing some information. I think there ought to be religious liberty in every country, not for some, but for everyone.

I got a peep at Allahs profile :\

Question 17: Whom is deserving of thou Love and mercy o' mighty one!

A) Jews []
B) Christians []
C) Jedi Knights []
D) Rastas []
E) Hindus []
F) Muslims []
G) Buddhists []
H) Sikhs []
I) Atheists []
J) Chuck Norris Fan Club []
K) Bahai's []
L) Mormons []
M) Pagans []
N) Taoists []
O) Shinto []
P) Janism []
Q) Zoroastrainism []
R) Unitarianism []
S) All of the above, and the rest! [X]

Allahs notes:

This profile question is along the lines of a question that was once asked of my prophet Muhammad(saws)...... Someone once asked Muhammad(saws), "What people does Allah love most?" And he replied to this question... "-ALL- mankind belong to Allah, therefore the most favoured by Allah is the one who does good...."

(chuckle, apologies for my humour :\)

Alex,

Jews don't proselytize.

In fact, if you want to be Jewish, you have to be persistent. You have to ask to convert, ask again, and ask again... (three times.)
So the children are NOT considered Jew until they ask three times to be converted... what a relief! I saw Judaism as a form of institutional racism because I thought the method of proselytizing was done solely through the raising of the children. But if the adherents of Judaism do NOT do this proselytizing then I stand corrected. If the child is truly NOT a proselyte until he/she asks for it three times... that is impressive. No more circumcised babies... no more baptised babies... no more babies indoctrinated by a means other than their own will. What a relief.

Dawud,

I'm not sure if I was clear but the penalties were not from within Judaism but from outside of Judaism.

Cyberpi,

Jewish children are not proselytes. They're Jews.

Not all Jews are of the tribe of Judah, but the southern kingdom of Judah survived when the northern kingdom of Israel did not.

Nope. It's not all about the tribe of Judah. In Jewish liturgy you don't really come across the word Yehudi all that much either. I think the most likely thing you'll come across is probably Bnei Yisrael, children of Israel. Jew is just most common in the English language. Iirc the only place it shows up in the Tanach is in Megilat Esther, but it could also be that's the first place it shows up.

Nope. It's not all about the tribe of Judah. In Jewish liturgy you don't really come across the word Yehudi all that much either. I think the most likely thing you'll come across is probably Bnei Yisrael, children of Israel. Jew is just most common in the English language. Iirc the only place it shows up in the Tanach is in Megilat Esther, but it could also be that's the first place it shows up.

Yeah, my hebrew ain't that hot :( Thanks for that D!

for reals!?

Just look at mottos of companys and services....

Example my old infantry unit.... "Semper Fidelis..." (always faithful) That sounds goood ;) My new one is Laborare non amo (I don't like to work..)

Or you have President bushes motto... Ad eundum, quo nemo ante iit lol...

But come on they sound the bee's knees...

i guess you just have to hear it........ not attempt to read it. Personally, Ive always liked french, or spanish.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (sorry, off topic)
back to your regularly scheduled programme.........

Back