Scientology 101.....

Namaste Alex P,

thank you for the post.

You are an Ex-Scientologist?

i am a Buddhist such to the extent that a label applies. generally speaking i tend to self identify with my current beliefs and views rather than with my former beliefs and views. i studied $cientology for 12 years.

"I heard this quote being used to insinuate that Scientology tries to separate out destructive people.
which quote? the one that i quoted in our discussion?

That is not true. Most of "Science of Survival" is about how to get people "up the tone scale", meaning freeing them spiritually, so that they do not feel compelled to be destructive.
whilst that may be true it is somewhat irrelevant to the point which is precisely as indicated. the treatment of beings on the Tone Scale is covered in other literature within $cientology. this is precisely the sort of answer which is given to beings that are raw meat. that doesn't mean, however, that the Science of Survival doesn't contain it's own ideas on this subject.

This book is a handbook for an auditor (it says so in the beginning) for use in session (which is where the auditor helps a person). It is not an organizational book nor anything else but a handbook for an auditor. Aside from that, nothing L. Ron Hubbard wrote is meant to be interpreted in a way to violate laws.

"There are only two answers for the handling of people from 2.0 down on the Tone Scale, neither one of which has anything to do with reasoning with them or listening to their justification of their acts. The first is to raise them on the Tone Scale by un-enturbulating some of their theta by any one of the three valid processes. The other is to dispose of them quietly and without sorrow." - L. Ron Hubbard, SCIENCE OF SURVIVAL, p. 170

"The sudden and abrupt deletion of all individuals occupying the lower bands of the Tone Scale from the social order would result in an almost instant rise in the cultural tone and would interrupt the dwindling spiral into which any society may have entered." - L. Ron Hubbard, SCIENCE OF SURVIVAL, p. 170

"A Venezuelan dictator once decided to stop leprosy. He saw that most lepers in his country were also beggars. By the simple expedient of collecting and destroying all the beggars in Venezuela an end was put to leprosy in that country." - L. Ron Hubbard, SCIENCE OF SURVIVAL, p. 171

"Unfortunately, it is all too often true that suppressors to a creative action must be removed before construction and creation takes place. Any person very high on the Tone Scale may level destruction toward a suppressor." - L. Ron Hubbard, SCIENCE OF SURVIVAL, p. 159

"Somebody some day will say 'this is illegal.' By then be sure the orgs [Scientology organizations] say what is legal or not." - L. Ron Hubbard, Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter, 4 January 1966, "LRH Relationship to Orgs"

metta,

~v

Namaste gp,

thank you for the post.

As a diplomacist I so hate debates with logicists.

why is that?

The courses I took were excellent. The scientologists I have met seem to reflect that their courses were also excellent. So I am taking for granted that the courses are excellent. Havent the scientologists you met seem happy, focused, clear minded, and capable?

no, quite the contrary. the vast majority of $cientologists demonstrate the ineffectiveness of the Tech. you and i may have had interaction with very different beings and thus may have had very different experiences.

The material for most of the courses that most people take are available in the towns public libraries. The courses you would probably zero in on would compare to PhD level at a college so Im not sure if the same statement can be made. Or in a religion such as catholocism Im guessing it would compare to vatican levels.

Catholics are Christians. that said, i don't know what a "vatican level" means. it seems that you are suggesting that as a being, in any religious tradition, enters into the priest/minister/clergy aspect of a tradition different teachings are made available to them as they progress through the hierarchy. is that a fair summation?

Heehee. True enough. :)
But of course (get ready for another fallacie) most people tend to operate that way anyway. They will declare that they feel a school or religion or whatever is excellent without having tried every part of it. Most people do not operate by logic-tables. Im taking for granted that there is no school or experience that you would make such a statement about now?

you are correct, i would not make such a claim. i would say, for instance, that Naropa has an excellent Sanskrit and Tibetan language class and the courses related to those are exceptional though the school completely lacks any athletic endeavors and thus is horrible at them. it is, in my estimation, quite difficult to generalize an entity composed of many parts with the same term and come close to the actuality of the entity. some parts may be excellent and others may not be. it would allow a more accurate understanding of the whole to have a proper appreciation of the parts excellent or otherwise.

The problem with this form of debate is that everything can be declared a fallacie. Even if I had taken all of the courses and declared them excellent it would be Argument from Authority. A fallacie isnt a fallacie unless its used as a fallacie. Declaring it one does not remove it from the discussion.

only fallacies can be declared as fallacies. that which is not fallacious is without fallacy by definition. the fallacy remains whether pointed out or not. the difference is that once it becomes clear all parties can avoid it in the course of the discussion whereas they may have not been able to.

Maybe the CIA factbook has a page.

hmm.. i've not checked the CIA factbook pages in quite a while and i didn't figure they would have files on $cientology, perhaps the IAS would be more feasible to me.

Hmmm would that be a Reduction Fallacie on your part? I did not join your conversation. You joined mine. I understand why you would prefer to limit any mention of xxxxxxxx only to such things as they pertain to Scientology. But that is not the conversation I was having.

actually we both joined Alex P's conversation and as near as i can tell his OP isn't asking for a comparison to other religious traditions, it seems to be focused on $cientology, as am i.

Do you feel there are no other sources for the idea that increasing shared expereinces will help raise affinity and therefore communication? You feel that Hubbard made all that up? If so then you give him far more credit than Im willing to give.

why are my feelings relevant to information in a text? i'm simply curious if you know of any that talk about ARC Break or Tone Scale, things which LRH asserts are spiritual or religious in nature. i'm not saying he didn't borrow things from others, quite the opposite in fact, but there are original teachings of his as well.

Ok fine. Then what is the psychiatrist word for a memory which is charged and can affect you when something pings it?

memory.

Memory: 1. The ability to recover information about past events or knowledge. 2. The process of recovering information about past events or knowledge. 3. Cognitive reconstruction. The brain engages in a remarkable reshuffling process in an attempt to extract what is general and what is particular about each passing moment.

Would that be fallacy of composition? By "only one medical doctor" Im assuming you mean that there was only one who involved himself in the claims being made?

i mean that there was only one M.D. involved with the creation of Dianetics and the opening of the Dianetics Institute. when the claims made were demonstrated to be false he left.

Unless you are a moderator here I will take that to be a desire more than a fact.

i am and you should. it is common enough to have tangents arise in an internet discussion and it is often better to start a new thread when the tangent takes on its own conversation since there may be people that would contribute to the new conversation but are not reading the current one.

It seems rather a pre-made argument to demand that people react to how "horrible" something is in the religion of Scientology and disallow any reference to other religions. Or how fraudulent something is in the teachings of Scientology without mentioning the same in other teachings. I guess it would depend on the point you wanted to make, but since you arent the one making the point then that seems moot.

who said that you couldn't mention them? you can and have. it is not the point of the OP which you can re-read for yourself. if you would like to create a thread comparing the horrible and fraudulent things in $cientology with other religions no one will prevent you from doing so.

the argument is premade for the simple fact that the OP was narrow with his questions. he could have started a thread, like you can, that sought to compare and contrast the horrible and fraudulent things of $cientology with other religions but he didn't.

you are, as you've already admitted, wanting to include the other religions and their horrible and fraudulent things in this discussion to water-down the impact such a discussion has upon $cientology. it is a fallacy which you are well aware of now and has no place in our conversation.

i am happy to participate in a thread which seeks to compare and contrast the horrible and fraudulent things in $cientology with those of other religions. i read the forum every day but on some days do not have time to post. if i've not responded to your thread in a few days send me a PM, please, and i'll hop on and give it a go.

vajra said:
i'm sorry, that is totally a non-answer and you well know it.
gp said:
Not at all.

it is since all the courses have specific names and there are multiple courses on the same subject in various degrees. i'm fine with your answer in a general way though.

Xenu.net and other anti-scientology sites make it quite clear that the large majority of people only take the first couple of cheaper courses and then leave. I believe the quote was 62%. With corresponding lesser percentages as you go up thru the courses. Definetly a higher loss than most colleges.

i agree completely.

Auditor? Wow, no. Not at all.

you claimed you were auditing...

In the 70's anyone who had taken a course could assist in the teaching of the course. Im not sure if its true now.

ah.. that is not the accepted practice now though with the release of SOLO NOTS it is somewhat determined on an individual basis.

The only things I did were some across-the-chair items for the communications and study courses. But I do have fond memories of bull-baiting staff going thru refresher courses who felt that I had a particular gift for finding buttons involving the methods people used to defend their personal space.

indeed. i don't find bull baiting to be an effective anything let alone spiritual practice. then again, it's not supposed to be.

Ahhhhh I see. So you are a devout atheist? That makes some things clear. You have no interest in Scientology as it compares to other religions. Just in deprogramming scientology itself.

perhaps your vision is not as clear as you think. i am a devout Buddhist insofar as such labels apply. in this conversation i'm only discussing $cientology. i am happy to discuss $cientology in relation to other religions in the appropriate thread. please start one and i'll join in as i'm able.

Then what was the question? Someone posted that they wish to discuss Scientology in the InterFaith forums on a site called Comparative-Religion.com and you feel that comparisons are inappropriate?

you stated that you are seeking to make the claim that two wrongs are two wrongs. who has disagreed with this notion? any sentient being, provided they share the same understanding of the notion "wrong", would agree that a wrong is a wrong is a wrong, which i have explicitly stated in this thread already. the reason that you gave for wanting to do this is to lessen the impact it will have upon $cientology.

this site does not have a section called "interfaith" we do have a Comparative section, this post is in the Modern Religions section.

metta,

~v

Scientology has no objection to it's followers smoking? lol Sweet.
Scientology is more into mental health than physical health. Plus in the 1950s Im not sure if it was considered a bad thing. Amazing enough that they condemned many common practices that later were also condemned by others but I guess they didnt catch them all. :)

Namaste gp,
why is that?
Because both declare the arguments of the other to be worthless. A logician considers the opinions of the crowd to be a fallacy. A diplomacist considers logic arguments a fallacy when it doesnt change the opinions of the crowd.

no, quite the contrary. the vast majority of $cientologists demonstrate the ineffectiveness of the Tech. you and i may have had interaction with very different beings and thus may have had very different experiences.
Well at least you have met some in real life. Its not worth much otherwise.

Catholics are Christians. that said, i don't know what a "vatican level" means. it seems that you are suggesting that as a being, in any religious tradition, enters into the priest/minister/clergy aspect of a tradition different teachings are made available to them as they progress through the hierarchy. is that a fair summation?
More along the line that its generally of the opinion outside a religion that the higher attainers within the religion are privy to non-public learnings.

i am and you should.
Noted and I shall.

Namaste GP,

thank you for the post.

Because both declare the arguments of the other to be worthless. A logician considers the opinions of the crowd to be a fallacy. A diplomacist considers logic arguments a fallacy when it doesnt change the opinions of the crowd.

i think you are confusing some terms or simply making them up to describe the situation. every being uses logic, you are using it here to explain why you dislike using logic in a discussion. you use logic when you are deciding which brand of dishwashing detergent to use, when you determine which brand of motor vehicle to purchase, which pair of shoes to wear on any given occassion yet when it comes to discussing $cientology you would prefer not to discuss it logically.

the definition of a logical fallacy doesn't depend on whom is doing the speaking nor their particular position they adopt within the context of a formal debate. a fallacy is a fallacy and arguments based on fallacies are, by definition, fallacious.

the implication that a pursuasive argument is the only valid form of argument is rather dubious since it is clear that an argument can have a purpose other than persuasion.

Well at least you have met some in real life. Its not worth much otherwise.

indeed.

interestingly, none of the OTVIII that i know are at cause over MEST.

More along the line that its generally of the opinion outside a religion that the higher attainers within the religion are privy to non-public learnings.

i thought that such was what you were referring to.

metta,

~v

I think my research of Scientology is coming to an end, in my opinion it is a very complicated thing lol... Most fo the time I feel as if LRH is just tying words together instead of writing sentences... Some parts I am like "what the hells is he talking about!"

From the first impression (quite commmon for most religions or hobbies or 'things') It looked quite good, anti drug campaigns, support of human rights, support to those around the world that need it, that's all cool I am down with that. But within Scientology you -have- to take courses... To improve and advance.. Again yeah that is logical I am cool with that too.. Just the books you learn from seem to not add up personally in my opinion. Some times I cannot make heads or tails of some chapters in books.

And from all the Scientologists I have met I don't honestly believe many of them know what the hells is going on.

The major thing I am concerned with, the main idea is to become 'clear' which is to have total recall, better sense of sight, hearing, smell, taste and so on... The book even says a clear will get improved vision and over time he will gain perfect sight again... So why have I met clears with glasses? And one in particular with quite a thick pair of glasses? He's improved? From what? Blindness?

I also put one Clear (otIII) to the test and asked her over the phone to tell me what I was wearing the first day I came into their church and asked questions about what did I smell like what aftershave was I wearing and so on and so forth... I am concerned because she didn't know.. But she has total recall?

Not 100% sure, but I feel my studies are soon to come to an end. If this is the real deal then I guess my IQ is too inferior to handle it, as I cannot fathom most of it... I get looking after one another and being good to one another and so on, but Dianetics... Ok... I'll say it lol to me is gibberish lol...

Anyway that's my update.

And Tommy Davis is still my hero! lol.

Namaste Alex P,

thanks for the update.

did you get a chance to meet any OT's in person?
when a being becomes an OTVIII they are said to "be at Cause over MEST".

that's Scilon for "they can use their mind to manipulate Matter, Energy, Space and Time." they can fly, teleport, cure all illnesses, journey to other planets, become immortal and so on... indeed, that is how we know that Venus has a busy train system, LRH was nearly run over there by a locomotive and complained about how busy it all was.

yet... as you noticed with your Clear <your test was a variation of the test that the first Clear underwent, and failed>, the claimed powers and abilities do not manifest and the beings on The Bridge cannot provide any evidence that they are at Cause over anything let alone MEST. they are clearly not immortal and die of the same ailments as every other human.

there is a reason that the writings, the Source, seems rather disjointed and it mostly has to do with LRH using amphetamines and drinking rum. he wrote his first wife, Mary Sue, about how the pills made him all loopy and whacked out when he had first gone to sea with the Sea Org.

metta,

~v

So it isn't 'just me' ? Thank goodness for that... I was listening to the audio books to make it easier to learn.. But, I just cannot grasp most of it :\ Like yeah, I understand the basics and their belife system. but you go into detail and you've freaking lost me.

I met a few OT's but not a lvl VIII The highest I have come into contact with is a V. have only tested as I previously said an OTIII... And found their memory to be worse than mine as I can clearly recall what they were wearing. I cannot picture it as they say.. I never picture anything, one of the examples they give in Dianetics think of a rose, and you most likely will see a rose, it's stem it's thorns, petals and so on.... I see nada... I -know- what a rose looks like but I do not see the rose.. Such as I knew what she was wearing, although I didn't see it in my head I just know what it was.

So this is where my concern stems from... I then thought screw it, I am going to take the risk and read the OTIII book... Remembering you will drop dead if you read this material when you're not ready for it... Alas... Here I am a pre-clear, typing and living infront of your very eyes. A miracle.

It is a shame... I am to a degree upset... As I really thought I was going to learn and benefit from my research of this group, like I've taken from everything I have studied at least something... At this point, (it is late at night and not being a clear or being that alert I cannot truly recall as of now.) I cannot think of one thing that I have come away with as good that I haven't already learnt...

I am gonna stick to just his mission Earth books lol I like them. And they are more my level ;)

Namaste Alex P,

thank you for the post.

So it isn't 'just me' ? Thank goodness for that... I was listening to the audio books to make it easier to learn.. But, I just cannot grasp most of it :\ Like yeah, I understand the basics and their belife system. but you go into detail and you've freaking lost me.

nope, it's not just you :) it would appear that your ability to follow an ideas logical progression is not impaired in the least ;)

what you experienced and rejected was a classic mind control technique whereby the adherent has to create a dichotomy between what they intersubjectively know and what they are told they are supposed to know. it can be a very powerful technique used against beings that have already accepted the primary axiom namely that the leader is unquestionably correct regarding every field to which they turn their attention.

I met a few OT's but not a lvl VIII The highest I have come into contact with is a V. have only tested as I previously said an OTIII... And found their memory to be worse than mine as I can clearly recall what they were wearing.

indeed it seems clear that ones memory is completely unaffected by $cientology training despite it's heavy insistence upon memorization.

I cannot picture it as they say.. I never picture anything, one of the examples they give in Dianetics think of a rose, and you most likely will see a rose, it's stem it's thorns, petals and so on.... I see nada... I -know- what a rose looks like but I do not see the rose.. Such as I knew what she was wearing, although I didn't see it in my head I just know what it was.

very interesting.. i'm trying that myself and it seems that i'm rather like you.. i don't see a rose in my minds eye.. i have to choose to invoke its image.. when i hear the term "rose" is more like some sort of dictionary... attributes and interactions but it seems to stimulate my olfactory sense more than my visual sense. a fascinating topic for it's own thread :)

So this is where my concern stems from... I then thought screw it, I am going to take the risk and read the OTIII book... Remembering you will drop dead if you read this material when you're not ready for it... Alas... Here I am a pre-clear, typing and living infront of your very eyes. A miracle.

well.. you could be mad <mentally unstable> now... it's going to kill you or drive you mad.... that said, it's a miracle that happens so frequently as to be unmiraculous at this point.

It is a shame... I am to a degree upset... As I really thought I was going to learn and benefit from my research of this group, like I've taken from everything I have studied at least something... At this point, (it is late at night and not being a clear or being that alert I cannot truly recall as of now.) I cannot think of one thing that I have come away with as good that I haven't already learnt...

I am gonna stick to just his mission Earth books lol I like them. And they are more my level ;)

there are parts of $cientology that work. those parts were taken from other systems of thought, religious practice and psychology so if you've been studying these things you've come across them in their pristine state, so to speak, which is always more satisfying than a derivative, for me at any rate.

metta,

~v

very interesting.. i'm trying that myself and it seems that i'm rather like you.. i don't see a rose in my minds eye.. i have to choose to invoke its image.. when i hear the term "rose" is more like some sort of dictionary... attributes and interactions but it seems to stimulate my olfactory sense more than my visual sense. a fascinating topic for it's own thread :)

Almost time to go home! So haven't time to reply to the majority of this post, thank you however for your reply... I agree this would make for a good thread as it seems to fascinate my beloved, she tends to frequently test and be amazed at what I can recall... Using visual tools of the eyes and then listing in the mind where everything is... I then when on look back will go through this list so yeah there were five cracks in the floor twenty tiles six books in the far corner the colour of them and their titles in left to right.... An so on... And it isn't because I can see the room, it is just I know what is in the room I've physically been there I have seen it, so I know it's there... I am glad to find someone else who does the same! She made me feel slightly like an oddball for not being able to "see" the room or the images.. No matter what I try I cannot make an image in my mind...

Back