"Thou Sayest"

The best it gets for me is having a half-dozen different translations and trying to meditate over the meaning. I also have a book on figurative expressions in Aramaic that I find helpful for understanding certain things that may be incorrectly glossed into english. Would be interested to know if there is a similar book for Greek.

At the end of the day, though, I find the safest entry point to interpretation being through the Spirit. I may not get interpretations correct for other people, but if I "ask, seek, knock" I do believe I get the interpretations that are meaningful for me at the time.

I do appreciate scriptures from other faiths which tend to have: 1) Original Text 2)Translation 3)Commentary all together so there its clear where there is interpretation. Theres a significant difference between the inevitable "lost in translation" vs. the outright slipping in of extraneous words.
There is a Bible version called the "Companion" that is based on the text of the KJV, with extensive commentary in the margins geared to the Strong's Concordance and extensive references in the afterward all by Dr. Bullinger. Another source that has been helpful in my studies especially regarding the idioms and figures of speech is the Peshitta, translated from the Aramaic by Lamsa. These and the Interlinear version are the three most valuable Bible translations in my collection, IMO.

vs. the outright slipping in of extraneous words.
You haven't mentioned if you are trying to establish which English version you feel is superior. I sometimes run into those who feel the KJV is the be all and end all when it comes to Bibles. You hit on an important point here, and one that (again) bears mention. The KJV slips in "extraneous" words too. They are in italics, in fact that is *why* they are in italics. This is explained by the authors in the 1611 version in a letter to the King, that the committee translated as best they could, but that certain concessions had to be made to allow the text to flow grammatically in English. Literary convention during the time the KJV was being composed was to use italics to note the words the translators inserted...not *emphasis* as the modern use of italics. In other words, I have heard otherwise sincere Christians emphasize words in the KJV that do not even exist in the original Greek text.

Of course, that's not the only conundrum. What is a bishopric? I think one will find that what the original writer (I believe in one of the books of Peter) meant and what the Archbishop of Canterbury had in mind were two different things. What is a unicorn? Unicorns are mentioned in the Old Testament at least two, possibly three times as I recall...that doesn't mean unicorns exist, does it?

That does not degrade the value of the text in my mind, but it does underscore the necessity to clarify the translational errors. Translators are biased, it is the nature of the beast; the student must account for that bias.

At the end of the day, though, I find the safest entry point to interpretation being through the Spirit. I may not get interpretations correct for other people, but if I "ask, seek, knock" I do believe I get the interpretations that are meaningful for me at the time.
Ditto, I must agree. It works for me too.

Last edited:
Mee, my point is- all translations are used by millions. Everyone trusts a different one. So I wish I could do the work myself so that I could know for myself, translating with the guidance of the Spirit, what the meaning is for me.

You can shove links down our throat all day long, but has anyone here ever budged and converted? Not that I've seen.

Months ago you yourself told me that JWs would move on if someone didn't want to hear their message. Yet you do not move on... you insist on cramming link after link to Watchtower in these forums, despite the obvious fact that no one here is fertile ground for the organization.

To be honest, outside of your post on your vacation, I feel like I don't even know you as a person. You could be a robot spitting out links for all I know. It wouldn't appear any different, as you refuse to actually engage in conversation. Your remarks are one-sided, as if you live in a vacuum (and no, I don't mean a Dyson ;)).

Mee, you are incorrigible.
:)

To be taught by Jehovah means to have insight and enjoy peace ,

it means knowing how to benefit myself by being made to walk in the right ways. and it is very good :)

"I shall make you have insight and instruct you in the way you should go." "All your sons will be persons taught by Jehovah, and the peace of your sons will be abundant." "I, Jehovah, am your God, the One teaching you to benefit yourself, the One causing you to tread in the way in which you should walk."—Ps. 32:8; Isa. 54:13; 48:17.

What does Jehovah teach those who are willing to be taught by him?
First of all: "I am Jehovah. That is my name."

Also that Jehovah is in truth God.

He is the living God and the King to time indefinite.
Jehovah further teaches mee what his purposes are.

:)mee is a taught one :)

Months ago you yourself told me that JWs would move on if someone didn't want to hear their message. quote]

that is very true when it comes to the door to door preaching .

but i dont come on this site to convert anyone. :)

Months ago you yourself told me that JWs would move on if someone didn't want to hear their message. quote]

that is very true when it comes to the door to door preaching .

but i dont come on this site to convert anyone. :)
well then I think you may have a serious virus issue on your computer...links keep popping up everywhere! :eek:

well then I think you may have a serious virus issue on your computer...links keep popping up everywhere! :eek:
as others seem to put up links why is it mee is not allowed to ? do others also get warnings the same as mee does ?;) those links will not bite people they are only bringng the bible to the fore. and the bible is good :)especially for christians

as others seem to put up links why is it mee is not allowed to ? do others also get warnings the same as mee does ?;) those links will not bite people they are only bringng the bible to the fore. and the bible is good :)especially for christians
Mee's links go straight to the Jehovah's Witnesses pages (that mee is not trying to promote). Most of mee's thoughts are not mee's own thoughts but rather those of mee's elders. If mee's links aren't to the JW pages, then they outright attack other's beliefs, under the guise of informing the errors of other's ways. mee doesn't discuss or debate, mee proselytizes. mee does it on other forums besides Christianity, apologizes when getting caught, and then does it again. mee cuts and pastes constantly.

That is why mee gets warnings. mee shouldn't be worried about others, only about mee's actions.

Mee's links go straight to the Jehovah's Witnesses pages (that mee is not trying to promote). Most of mee's thoughts are not mee's own thoughts but rather those of mee's elders. If mee's links aren't to the JW pages, then they outright attack other's beliefs, under the guise of informing the errors of other's ways. mee doesn't discuss or debate, mee proselytizes. mee does it on other forums besides Christianity, apologizes when getting caught, and then does it again. mee cuts and pastes constantly.

That is why mee gets warnings. mee shouldn't be worried about others, only about mee's actions.

:) dont worry it will not bite , links are good to get info

Jehovah's Witnesses: Watchtower Society Official Web Site

as others seem to put up links why is it mee is not allowed to ?

Others link every great once in a while or on threads that are asking for links (i.e., what are you watching on youtube thread). The rest of us do not link on greater than 50% of our posts, consistently to only one organization.

That you link so frequently and only to one organization's website means you are promoting an organization.

Others link seldom and to a variety of websites, indicating not promotion, but provision of further resources.

And if the Bible was sufficient for you on its own, no links to JW website would be necessary. Bible quotes alone would be sufficient, right?

And if the Bible was sufficient for you on its own, no links to JW website would be necessary. Bible quotes alone would be sufficient, right?

the bible speaks of a faithful slave class that would be dishing out good bible based provisions .

and it is even on the web for the taking .

and it is all good bible based spiritual food matthew 24;45-47

mee likes to share it is good to share :)

Back